Folding at home and quantum computing

Author
ProDigit
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 465
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2020/01/28 15:04:23 (permalink)
If there's anything a quantum computer can do, it's usually not a lot; but one thing, and it does it very good!
That one thing, if a program for it can be created, could be folding.
The boost in speed would be tremendous (est WUs would be processed faster than they can be downloaded).

Perhaps one day we'll look back on how silly we were folding on RTX GPU hardware, at 10M PPD or more a day; when future hardware is potentially able to fold in the Billions of PPD!
Much like we look back now to the time when we did 9 WUs per day on a dual core 1,6Ghz CPU (and earned just a few points, under 1000 per day).

I do think that while GPUs can still increase in performance (PCIE 4.0, more cores) and decrease in power consumption (7nm, 5nm), the biggest jump in performance, will be with Quantum computers that should in theory be able to fold 'on the fly'; or literally generate a 1 minute protein folding video within 1 minute.

Right now, this sounds like fantasy; but I don't think it'll be long, before companies like Google perfect Quantum technology.
At this rate, a quantum computer (or a mini-version of it) could be in your home, in the next 20-30 years!
post edited by ProDigit - 2020/01/28 15:06:00

5 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31075
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: Folding at home and quantum computing 2020/01/29 10:11:08 (permalink)
    I'll be looking forward to the next generation of hardware that we will see in 2020

Would probably need a new interface for any "new tech" like Quantum

2025 at the earliest ... not likely to be consumer level availability

Quantum Computing - Intel

Quantum computing | Microsoft

https://azure.microsoft.com/services/quantum
         https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/quantum/development-kit

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

drougnor
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2715
    • Ribbons : 18
    Re: Folding at home and quantum computing 2020/01/31 11:13:03 (permalink)
    At a soft estimate, we're probably 50 to 100 years out form consumer grade Quantum computing - The first obstacle to be solved isn't HOW to do the thing so much as "Is there a reason for the consumer to need this?" and "What problems does this approach ACTUALLY solve?".  Right now, the world is dazzled by how neat this is and how to make it work better and isn't focused properly on the practicality of it all.

Honestly, my current opinion is that we're likely to never see a practically usable Quantum Computer in my lifetime.  But I want to be proven wrong.  I'd love to be able to have a system that can solve multiple problems at once and use that horsepower to properly anticipate my next steps to increase efficiency, but what would a quantum based OS look like? Why would Windows need to operate in multiple states at once? Would it even be feasible to write an operating system using superstates as it's operating structure instead of having a binary based os that then calls upon the QuBit based subprocessor to execute specific operations as they are needed? 

All of these questions will definitely be beaten on by better brains than mine, certainly, and, again, I look forward to seeing the progress as it happens. I'm just not going to hold my breath that I'll get to use an Nvidia QuGPU any time soon.

But, I'll say again, I want to be proven wrong in this case. That would be AMAZING!!!

Just my $0.02 on the matter, not trying to rain on the parade, but to provide another POV.  Trust me, I'm just as excited as everyone else every time there's an update/breakthrough reported.

d

ProDigit
    iCX Member
    Re: Folding at home and quantum computing 2020/01/31 13:59:13 (permalink)
    As far as I know, quantum computing would go hand in hand with regular computing.
    I believe that the current generation has a regular computer to run the regular desktop GUI, with a quantum computer running a quantum software module. Eg: calculate wind direction, virus development, or Google maps live car and traffic feed (or something).
    They mentioned that software for quantum computing is extremely hard to create (including like you say, operating systems), and most likely can't be reliably created, or works very buggy.

Quantum computing can be seen as a coprocessor that does a very specific type of computing, but can't be used to do regular day to day jobs. 
    It took us 30 years to generate GUI operating systems we have today, and quantum computing is a level up in terms of complexity.

However, as we get smarter over time, I do believe that quantum software models can be generated by computers,
    Much like folding today, it takes time and energy to create WUs, that then can be processed by a cpu, and fed into a GPU,
    I believe scientists will find a sort of 'programming language' some day, that will convert x86 programs into a quantum computer language, and have regular PCs assemble the program, before it gets crunched by the quantum computer.

The difference here, is that quantum computing behaves much like real life, rather than regular computing we do now.
    With our current technology, the outcome of a WU will always be the same, no matter on what PC it's ran (provided the Wu ran without errors).
    In quantum computing, a WU can be processed multiple times, and each time display a different result; which is much more in line with how this all works in real life.

A WU van be ran several times on one quantum computer in the same time a Wu is ran on our current hardware (at estimated 100x the speed of our current hardware), and would produce a string of results that are very similar, but yet slightly different each time.
    This also does away with redundant processing we currently do (to have a WU be verified by other users).

The bad thing is that it'll be very hard to find a mechanism that can verify if a quantum computer is working the way it should, and doesn't act like a random number generator. For a Wu to be accepted there'll probably have to be a certain percentage ratio for a Wu result to be valid.
    And for folding, it really depends on how much money companies and scientists are willing to pour into this field.

A quantum computer is an order of magnitude cheaper to run than even a GPU supercomputer, but the science behind reliable software for this application may very well cost so much to generate, it may indeed be unfeasible to see such thing in our lifetime.
    But I'm sure that companies are focusing on where the need is greatest. Once the hardware is there, probably Google, IBM, and a few other major companies will pioneer the field in generating software for the most demanded needs (govt data crunching, advertisements, maps, weather prediction, IRS..., Banking institutions and encryptions,...), And at some point folding will be in there as well.
    scott@bjorn3d
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 692
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Folding at home and quantum computing 2020/02/02 09:25:03 (permalink)
    Granted not quantum computing, but if this is true https://www.tweaktown.com/news/70357/big-red-200-supercomputer-86-016-cores-172-032-threads-ampere-gpus/index.html  then growth is really moving to something we may see before I would die of old age. 57 currently.

ProDigit
    iCX Member
    Re: Folding at home and quantum computing 2020/02/02 10:58:31 (permalink)
    scott@bjorn3d
    Granted not quantum computing, but if this is true https://www.tweaktown.com/news/70357/big-red-200-supercomputer-86-016-cores-172-032-threads-ampere-gpus/index.html  then growth is really moving to something we may see before I would die of old age. 57 currently.

Yes, currently with Turing, one can run between 13.5 and 18k cores when running 3 to 4 RTX 2080Tis per system.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile