EVGA

Helpful ReplyFinished Build -- Few Questions Regarding Improvement & Optimization

Author
Benji_47
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2020/01/19 02:25:13 (permalink)
Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting in the EVGA forums; after reading quite a few advice threads, I've seen some really great replies and advice, so I figured I would post this thread with a few questions of my own. I have very recently finished a new build and I had a few questions / am looking for advice going forward so I can improve this build. Thank you in advance to anyone that takes the time to help me out. Link to pictures:

https : / / imgur.com / a / GVknVKQ

Components:

Case: Corsair 680X (8x Corsair 120mm LL RGB fans; 5 intake 3 exhaust for positive pressure enclosure running at 75%)
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra (1845 mhz boost)
CPU: i7 8700 (Non-K) @4.3 Ghz [240mm AIO configured mounted on top as exhaust]
MOBO: EVGA Z390 DARK 
RAM: Corsair VengeanceRGB 2x16GB 3200 Mhz CL 16-18-18 (SK-Hynix)
PSU: Corsair RX750
Storage: Corsair Force MP600 (1TB)

Peripherals: 

Monitor: Alienware AW-Something 1080p w/ G-Sync & 240 Hz refresh rate
Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 SE w/ double-shot PBT keycaps 
Mouse: Corsair harpoon wireless RGB

Room for Improvement
There is always room for improvement in any build; to preface any potential harshness, I'm aware some things could be better in my build, and that's why I'm here. To begin, the motherboard and processor combination is very ironic, one of the best overclocking VRMs and OC BIOS' on the market with a non-k processor--I'm planning on an i9 once the price and stock settles down. The CPU and motherboard combo was a major point of contention when deciding which components I wanted for my new build. I was relatively set on a new Ryzen and ASUS combo, however, after reading the plethora of "DOA don't buy this" reviews about ASUS boards etc., I simply decided that I didn't want to deal with that **** and EVGA ALWAYS has excellent parts--so I settled for an EVGA / Intel build. My previous PC was an Alienware Aurora R7, a purchase brought about because of the mining craze and absurd GPU prices. Anyways, the 8700 was the ONLY salvaged part from that build into my new one. The following will address some relatively niche questions I haven't found the answers to yet concerning overclocking performance, cable management, and future water-cooling.

Overclocking Potential

I'm a huge fan of EVGAs GPUs, particularly the way in which they are organized and segmented. It takes a lot of guess work out of 'winning the silicon lottery,' I would rather pay the higher price up-front for THE BEST silicon available and it's clearly advertised, so plus one to EVGA for that. In addition to this, their cooling performance on air and other performance features are the best on the market bar-none. I understand that my maximum potential overclock isn't realized unless I get the GPU on liquid, which I am planning on implementing in the future. For the time being, however,  I am wondering how high you have gone on air before under-clocking occurs. My current max. stable OC:
  • Core: +75 to 2085 mhz
  • Mem: +750 to 8500 mhz (I believe, I am not at home right now to check the exact resulting freq. but +750 for sure)
  • The power consumption at this OC ranged from 220W-250W over one hour during testing on Red Dead Redemption 2 using the precision X1 utility.
  • The temp. reached a maximum of 54 degrees C--a very respectable number on air and overclocked.
How can I make sure that this is the maximum possible OC (on air)? I've heard that Nvidia's Turing architecture is heavily temperature dependent when overclocking, is there truth to this? Please let me know your experience with this, thank you. 

Cable Management
The cable management during this build was a huge pain in the ass. All of the fans are RGB so they have their own hub, node, PWM headers etc. and it all gets very confusing, but I am relatively pleased with the final result. There are some areas where I need some advice though. I am specifically looking for the cleanest looking cable management possible--something that seems to only be achievable with 'closed cable combs.' The ones that shipped with my PSU were tremendously tedious to work with and it took me over and hour just to get the wires to look decent. When researching these closed cable combs, it appears much simpler because you can just clamp them in place where you need them instead of inserting the wires, then pulling back on them to get them tight enough so that they look clean (as in the case of the stock combs). Let me know what you guys think the best solution is as far as cable management--remember I want to have really clean bends and even-looking cable lengths to each component. 

Future Water Cooling
Eventually I want to have an entire custom loop in here, and I'm sure that there are folks here with much more experience on this topic than myself. What would be the best radiator configuration for this case? I simply don't see the point in putting a 360mm rad. in the front only for its hot air to blow across the rest of the components; I think the best solution would be 2x 240mm (or 280mm) on the top and bottom. The Bottom would still be an intake and blowing hot air across the components, but I think much of the hot air would quickly be dispelled by the top fans. This as opposed to 3x intake hot air fans running across the components to the single hot air exhaust in the back. I would use hardline tubing and hopefully a white or very light blue liquid to run through the loop. If I'm totally wrong here, let me know! Thank you!

Final Thoughts
Overall, I am very happy with the final result and it runs just about everything I need it to seamlessly--I'm really just looking for optimization. I want it to be the best it can be; functional and clean-looking is the end goal. 

edit by Cool GTX added photo to post
post edited by Cool GTX - 2020/01/19 09:15:49
jasoncodispoti
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 628
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Finished Build -- Few Questions Regarding Improvement & Optimization 2020/01/19 05:58:41 (permalink)

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

jasoncodispoti
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 628
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Finished Build -- Few Questions Regarding Improvement & Optimization 2020/01/19 06:05:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Benji_47 2020/01/19 13:26:43
Build looks really good!

For every 10 degree step that the GPU hits (20, 30, 40 , 50, 60, etc) GPU Boost 4.0 will decrease the the "boost frequency" of the GPU this is why its critical to keep the temp of the GPU as low as you can. A boost Frequency of 2085 is not bad at all; the only thing that you can really do is just keep pushing it up higher and see what happens. At some point it will either start to get to hot and you will be fighting GPU Boost or it will become unstable; At 60c GPU Boost causing a significant decrease in Boost Frequency. Just keep in mind no two GPUs are a like... the only way to find out what your GPU can do in your setup is to keep pushing it and keep benching it. 

Your GPU would certainly benefit from water cooling and would afford you the highest sustained boost frequencies. As far as placement and size of RAD, the biggest issue that I see is where are you going to put a reservoir and pump? Assuming that you would place the CPU on the same loop, I would put a 240 in the bottom and a 240 in the top... remove the fans that you have in the front and rear of the case. Put an EKWB flat reservoir on the front of the case with a DDC pump, that might fit, I dont see how you would get a traditional tube reservoir in that case... Since your CPU can not be overclocked x2 240's would be MORE than enough cooling power.  
post edited by jasoncodispoti - 2020/01/19 06:13:12

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Finished Build -- Few Questions Regarding Improvement & Optimization 2020/01/19 09:13:50 (permalink)
Moving to EVGA MODS RIGS

Home » All Forums » [Computer Hardware/Software] » EVGA MODS RIGS

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Finished Build -- Few Questions Regarding Improvement & Optimization 2020/01/19 09:17:13 (permalink)
Nice Rig

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: Finished Build -- Few Questions Regarding Improvement & Optimization 2020/01/19 09:21:06 (permalink)
Fantastic looking rig. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Benji_47
Re: Finished Build -- Few Questions Regarding Improvement & Optimization 2020/01/19 13:26:16 (permalink)
I realized as soon as I posted it that it was in the wrong forum, appreciate you moving it to the correct one!
Cool GTX
Moving to EVGA MODS RIGS

» » » EVGA MODS RIGS

a213m
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 877
  • Ribbons : 20
Re: Finished Build -- Few Questions Regarding Improvement & Optimization 2020/01/19 13:34:24 (permalink)
That system deserves a 9900KS, although a 240mm AIO probably wouldn't be able to handle it. Nice build otherwise!

My free and open source SDR-DDR5 SPD reader/writer with write protection capabilities

New: 13900K, Z790 HERO, 2x32GB 6800C32, 4090, 2TB SN850, AX1600i
Old: 10980XE, X299SE2, 8x8GB 4000C15, 4090, 2TB SN850, AX1600i
Benji_47
Re: Finished Build -- Few Questions Regarding Improvement & Optimization 2020/01/19 13:37:32 (permalink)
Thanks man, appreciate it! 

Gpu boost seems to be very temp sensitive. It will intermittently switch between 2085 and 2070 under heavy load, so I think that getting the GPU and CPU both under water would be the next logical step. The flat reservoir is a great idea! I will do some more research on that and see how everything would fit! Of course with this I'll need to do some modding with a hydro copper from EVGA as well. 
Benji_47
Re: Finished Build -- Few Questions Regarding Improvement & Optimization 2020/01/19 13:41:46 (permalink)
Thanks man!
Benji_47
Re: Finished Build -- Few Questions Regarding Improvement & Optimization 2020/01/19 13:56:06 (permalink)
Agreed, I am keeping an eye out for a good deal on a decent i9. I may just settle on a 9900k because the KS seems to be WAY overpriced when I look on Newegg they're ~$750 new; hopefully they will be back to MSRP soon so I can snag one! The 240 is honestly serving me VERY well even on my 8700 non-K. With 8 fans set to run at 75% there's quite a lot of air running through it and under HEAVY load (CPU-Z benchmarks, stress test, and 3 hour session on RDR2 on ultra/high setting mix yielded a max temp of 56 C. I don't think the 9900KS would be all that different from this in terms of thermals, or is the power consumption just THAT much higher? Let me know, thanks!
a213m
That system deserves a 9900KS, although a 240mm AIO probably wouldn't be able to handle it. Nice build otherwise!

notfordman
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10345
  • Ribbons : 28
Re: Finished Build -- Few Questions Regarding Improvement & Optimization 2020/01/19 16:52:53 (permalink)
Looks nice and clean to me. I like the sleeved cables the way you ran them. :) Try to make a mods rig profile if you can. 
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile