EVGA

Max VCore on 980x??? Bclock or up the multi?

Author
jmcdermott81
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 324
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2011/03/14 16:17:21 (permalink)
Need to know if it is "safe" to go bove Intel specs of 1.35 for 32NM chips....  I am so darn confused...  I need more volts but do not want to fry chip in 1-2 years.  I do not mind chip dying in 3-4 though...  I m on heavy duty H2O on everything, just can handle frying my baby...  Please Help, and do you all use higher multis or cobventional bclock method?  Pros and Cons of both?  Your help is appreciated!!!

"You get nothing for doing nothing, those that do something have more than they had before doing nothing."

"Life is like a box of chocolates, it is eventually gone so savor every drop..."

3 Replies Related Threads

yellow__fever
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2170
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re:Max VCore on 980x??? Bclock or up the multi? 2011/03/14 16:35:42 (permalink)
    Use higher multipliers for big steps, and then BLCK for the fine tuning and if you want to squeeze every last MHz out of your i7.

On water I'd say you're good until 1.45VCore. It's really difficult to try a chip nowadays, with all the failsafes installed. People do like 1.6-1.8VCore on liguid nitrogen. I'd limit myself to 1.5VCore but that'd just me.

"Sang Noir"
    -Silverstone TJ07-BW
    -Intel Core i7 920 @4.209GHz 1.343VCore + EK Supreme HF Rev2 Acetal Copper
    -OCZ XTC Platinum 6GB DDR3-1600 [7-7-7-20]
    -Asus Republic of Gamers Rampage III Extreme
    -EVGA GTX 560Ti 448 Classified [900/1800/2100] + EK-FC480 Copper Waterblock
    -2x Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD + 1x WD 1TB Black
    -Corsair AX1200 PSU + Laing D5 (EK D5 XTop Rev2) + Feser Quad XChanger
    -Razer Mamba + Razer Blackwidow + Sennheiser PC 320
    -46" Samsung LED TV 1920x1080p
    Pics in Mod Rigs!
    lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re:Max VCore on 980x??? Bclock or up the multi? 2011/03/14 16:42:30 (permalink)
    First, the word 'safe' and overclocking shouldn't go together, if it was then Intel shoud have no problem gauranteeing higher speeds, but they don't.  There's an old saying on the internet, forget who first said it, "if you can't afford to replace something from overclocking, don't do it".  We all take risks to do what we do, the benefits outweigh the disadvantages; although many have taken the benefits for granted and disregard the disadvantages.

Second, Intel specs only refer to stock speed operation because each CPU varies in quality and thus has different stock Vcore requirements.  If it doesn't make the cut (VID range), then it won't survive the assigned warranty of 3yrs of 24/7 nonstop use (or 6yrs at 12hr/day, etc), and they wouldn't bother selling it.   While not a scientific study, many of the best batches came from CPUs with stock Vcore in the middle of the VID range.  Overclocking and lifespan are related, I have a link in my sig if you want to give it a read. 

Hypothetically, let's say you want to keep your 980X running for 3yrs and only use it 8hr/day max, then maybe the neighborhood of 4.2-4.4Ghz is appropriate provided your batch lets you get up there with the least amount of extra voltage.

Third, multiplier overclocking is easier to impliment and test as Bclk variation puts strains on the memory as well as CPU, where you have too much to keep track of.  Just bump up the multi by a few, restart, if it BSOD's then up the Vcore only by 0.025 or so and see if it boots.  If so stress test it for an hour or so.  Keep doing it as long as stress load temps stay below 85C on the cores until you get a speed you're good enough with or is your CPU's limitation.

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    NordicJedi
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 12570
    • Ribbons : 77
    Re:Max VCore on 980x??? Bclock or up the multi? 2011/03/19 05:00:15 (permalink)
    Lehpron's pretty much accurate about everything concerning the term "safe," and the reason it's pointless to ask that question.  I can't stress enough how often people want to use the Intel "max voltage" as the definitive answer to what a "safe" voltage is.  Again, Lehpron explained the reason why this is also irrelevant.

I run my 980X up to 1.44v. on water, for temps around 70C on all cores for full load.  On dry ice/LN2, I've run it up to 1.9v.  However, unless you have something that keeps it under sub zero temps, don't do that, lol.

The right voltage is one that you feel comfortable with your overclock, and not having to raise the voltage significantly just for a few more mhz.  Although heat will ultimately limit your overclock, you should keep in mind the voltage it takes to get there.  At a certain point, you have to determine whether having to increase the voltage by .1, .2, .3 is worth it for the slightly higher bclock or multi you can get.  With a processor like a 980X, 200mhz more will not really be noticed for basic 24/7 or gaming usage.

6012mhz on L/N2 
    5321mhz on L/N2
    5091mhz on air
    The Lightsaber
    The Emperor Reborn
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile