Hot!Externalizing EVGA NU Audio

Author
Nosferatu BE
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2024/02/10 08:08:50 (permalink)
Hello,

Bear with me as I know this is a long shot but I'm sure many people have been in this position for many reasons. Also, if this question has already been asked please link the answer through.
So obviously I have an EVGA Audio NU card, I've had it for a while and it's in pristine condition, even the box and accessories are still there (for now). And to be frank the box still smells as awesome as it was fist opened, but I digress.

After a good, I don't know 5 years, it's time for me to move to another case. Of course, the one I've decided on only has enough space for the GPU. Yes, this decision is final: mobility is my priority right now and we all know GPUs are getting excessively large and most certainly expensive, so no changes there either. 
That leaves me with the EVGA NU, I'd love to keep and use it so I was thinking external enclosure... with Thunderbolt 4 by now and who knows maybe better later this should be viable right? Ideally it would work as a DAC, but I'm not sure. If the enclosure has a nice form factor it would even be more convenient if the I/O was opposite to the Thunderbolt and power supply to the back of the desk. I do think the enclosure needs a power supply, but that's OK.

I'd like advise on this possibility, preferably from EVGA engineers, but any considerations or purchasing ideas would be interesting, the more the better. Even more perfectly a product from EVGA in the near future would be great.
The other option is sadly that I have to sell the card, like I said I'm already fixed on the new components. Personally I don't think Audio Cards are throw away technology like GPUs or Phones as much, if maintained they can last 10 -20 years or more.

Anyway thanks for the advise already,
David
post edited by Nosferatu BE - 2024/02/10 08:12:00

1 Reply Related Threads

madsi1m
    • Total Posts : 7
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Externalizing EVGA NU Audio 2024/02/23 21:57:03 (permalink)
    So if i remember correctly, the PCIe card is a PCIe to USB and the sound card is basically a usb device, I believe I may have asked a long time ago if they were planning on making an external usb version but i think its way too late for that now.

In theory you could buy a USB to PCIe x1 or whatever crypto mining people use to run GPUs externally, and simply 3D print a case.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile