EVGA

I recently purchased a Z20 linear keyboard. Should I have bought the clicky version?

Author
beekermartin
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 765
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/09/08 21:32:02 (permalink)
I have been using keyboards with Cherry Brown switches with o-rings installed under the caps for the last year or so. Prior to settling on Brown I tried Red, Speed and Blue. I settled on Brown because I felt they were the best overall compromise for all my computing needs. 

Anyway, I broke the space bar on my work keyboard and found the sale for the Z20 so I gave the linear version a try. I installed o-rings under all the caps but they didn't make much if any difference in terms of noise or feel. The linear switches are still fairly loud for a "non clicky" key for a work keyboard. With that said it isn't terrible but I miss the tactile feel of the keys actuating like the Cherry Brown switches have. 

How does the "clicky" version of the Z20 compare to the Cherry Brown switches? Hopefully someone here has compared the two. 
post edited by beekermartin - 2022/09/12 08:21:25

3 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: I recently purchased a Z20 linear keyboard. Should I have bought the clicky version? 2022/09/08 22:17:54 (permalink)
    I have both of them and the keyboard really feels about the same other than you hear the click when it hits the activation point. On both though I can feel the switch.

I should add that my daily driver keyboard is the Z20 clicky while my wife uses the Z20 liner since she works from home and wants a keyboard not as lound. Like you she also has O-rings and I find those to help slightly lower the noise but more of make the landing of the key when it bottoms out softer.

If you are working from home and don’t take calls or meetings when typing the clicky is a great option but personally I think for a work keyboard liner is the way to go even working from home. If you work with others in a cubicle setting then liner is the way to go since clicky could drive coworkers crazy.

For m though my setup is general use and gaming so I like the retro sound of the clicky keyboard. It takes me back to 80’s keyboards in a good way.
    post edited by Hoggle - 2022/09/08 22:22:22

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

EVGATech_NickB
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 93
    Re: I recently purchased a Z20 linear keyboard. Should I have bought the clicky version? 2022/09/09 10:12:46 (permalink)
    beekermartin
    I have been using keyboards with Cherry Brown switches with o-rings installed under the caps for the last year or so. Prior to settling on Brown I tried Red, Speed and Blue. I settled on Brown because I felt they were the best overall compromise for all my computing needs. 

Anyway, I broke the space bar on my work keyboard and found the sale for the Z20 so I gave the linear version a try. I installed o-rings under all the caps but they didn't make much if any difference in terms of noise or feel. The linear switches are still fairly loud for a "non clicky" key for a work keyboard. With that said it isn't terrible but I miss the tactile feel of the keys actuating like the Cherry Brown switches have. 

How does the "clicky" version of the Z20 compare to the Cherry Brown switches? Hopefully someone here has compared the two. 

If noise is a concern the clicky version is a touch louder than the linear version, but as stated above the switches themselves generally feel the same. I prefer the linear one for a work environment. 
    beekermartin
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 765
    Re: I recently purchased a Z20 linear keyboard. Should I have bought the clicky version? 2022/09/12 08:21:00 (permalink)
    Thank you for the replies. I will stay with the linear version since I am using it at work. It is loud enough as it is. I can only imagine how loud the clicky version is. I am getting use to the Z20 but I do miss the tactile feel of the Cherry brown switches. Obviously this is a personal preference issue. The Z20 is an excellent all around keyboard. Especially for the insanely low price I paid for it. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile