EVGA

RMA Nightmare

Author
Trickste63
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/01/21 06:29:08 (permalink)
Well I thought I would share my woes with regards my ongoing RMA which started in September 2021.
My trusty EVGA 1080TI FTW3 finally gave up the ghost in September 2021, luckily I had bought the extended 5 year warranty with RMA (December 2017). So I raised my RMA with EVGA support and selected the advance option to get replacement in advance of the card shipping back to EVGA in Germany. To do this I had put up an assurity of over 1300 Euros to allow me to do this. The card was shipped back to Germany from the UK and this arrived 2 days later to EVGAs return department, with no advance replacement arriving to me as they didn't have any to ship. I contacted them about refunding me my assurity for the advance RMA and was advised this would happen which it did, but due to the Euro-Pound exchange change I lost £55. It then took some time to find a replacement which was shipped and arrived to me several weeks later. 

Now it gets frustrating as this card last 4 days before it went wrong, so I started another RMA and asked if they would pay for the courier and they did allow me to get up to 29 euro back. I dint uses the advance RMA (dont want to lose more money) and shipped back to EVGA in Germany. This arrived back to them 3 days later and I then waited several weeks for the replacement. i was offered an RTX 2080 but didnt want to go from 11GB > 8GB so I declined. I was then shipped a replacement GTX1080Ti FTW3 Elite (in white) which I advised I didnt want as all my builds are black. However this got shipped to me. This was sent, and 2 days later I received a letter from ParcelForce advising that I had a delivery that required import duty to be paid. This came to a total of £108 and when I spoken to ParcelForce they advised me I would have to contact HMRC to get a refund. I paid the import charge and took delivery of the card and started the refund process with HMRC, which they agreed to and I was refunded 5 weeks later, the £96 which was the HMRC (£12 fwas for ParcelForce admin charge).

I left this card for a couple of weeks fuming about the charges and delays and getting annoyed that I had to go through all that to get my replacement and over the Christmas break I though I would just install it and forget about it being white, only to get 4 hours of use before this card also went wrong. So I have just been going through RMA process yet again, arranging delivery to EVGA in Germany once again and waited until I was contacted about a replacement (which then turned out to be exactly the same model I sent back in the first place). I accepted this and advised EVGA of all the issues with import duty that I had, asking them to ensure the external window document stated this was an RMA and hence no value only to get yest another notification from UPS this time advising that I had a delivery that import duty was to be paid on, only this time its £124 (another £12 charge + £112 for HMRC). So I now have no option but to pay this and go through all the hoops to get paid back for the 2nd time with HMRC.

So far this RMA has cost me over £108 of my own money (which i wont get back) and hence why I'm posting this as a warning to anyone RMAing an EVGA product form the UK back to Germany !!!!

One very annoyed, frustrated ex EVGA customer.

9 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: RMA Nightmare 2022/01/21 06:44:43 (permalink)
    Hi trickste63,

I may ask a few questions that seem very obvious to you, but for the most part “we” the users on the forums here, do not know at this time.

What is going wrong with the cards? Having three cards go bad back to back is very strange, and uncommon, so clarification of what is actually happening may help figure out how to stop it.

As for the difference in exchange rates, speak with your banking institution and see if they can correct that part for you. I can’t guarantee they will, and I definitely don’t use the same bank as you, but the exchange difference (Canadian funds versus USA funds) has been corrected by banks when North American users had exchange rate changes.

For the shipping charges, get in touch with the EU RMA team, and see if they can possibly provide you a shipping label. They may be able to help with that part. No guarantee, but it won’t hurt to ask.

As for 1080ti 11gb to 2080 8gb, the memory on the 2080 is much faster so the quantity being lower may not make a huge difference for you in the end. With the newer architecture and vram, it may still perform very well for you. Just something to consider while you wait for the process to work for you.

Hopefully EVGA can help get this cleared up for you. I will send an email and see if maybe we they can’t get some eyes on this to help you out. No guarantees as I am a moderator and in the end, just another user from the US, but it’s worth a shot, right?
    Trickste63
    Re: RMA Nightmare 2022/01/21 09:36:12 (permalink)
    Hi Scarlet thanks for your reply. to answers some of you questions

All cards have had the issue where the monitor, either an Alienware AW3418DW or Dell S2716DG fail to show anything. What is strange I'm currently using an EVGA 1080TI SC2  in the same systems without issue and this card has now been swapped over several time and continues to work wonderfully.

The issue with exchange rates is more to do with not being able to actually get anything sent from EVGA before them receiving my card, when using the advanced RMA option. When my faulty card arrived with them BEFORE they sent me the 1st replacement card. So in reality I lost money for no reason of mine. If they haven't got cards to send using the advanced option then they shouldn't require payment and they should hold the option of taking payment until they have shipped the advanced replacement which they didnt do.

The shipping charges for the current return and the previous have/will be refunded.

I hope this clarifies the situation for you and other who read this post on the forum.

EVGATech_DanielM
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1132
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: RMA Nightmare 2022/01/21 09:50:30 (permalink)
    Hello!

Sorry to hear about the issues with your replacement. Testing showed the last card sent back to us passed all internal testing. Once a 1080Ti is not available at the time of your RMA as stock for RMA will fluxuate we offer a replacement of the next generation based on performance and do not factor in things such as vmem. In regards to customs - we do not have any control over this. We would be happy to offer another RMA if the product you are currently in possession of and can look to the EU team to offer any assistance in shipping but this sounds more like an issue with the monitor rather than the card. 
    Trickste63
    Re: RMA Nightmare 2022/01/21 10:00:20 (permalink)
    I really liked EVGA and have had great products, its that this has been a nightmare for this RMA and even after warning about the import duties issue (which many others report in this forum) you still have issues putting the wrong external paperwork which causes the inbound courier to have to charge import duty. The first RMA had no issue and after warning in the communications for the 2nd and 3rd RMA this has now occurred twice.

As for the monitor issue, then how come the same systems are working with my Nvidia RTX 3080 FE and EVGA GTX 1080TI SC2? and have done so since the start of the RMA process in September last year. 
    markljlewis
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: RMA Nightmare 2022/01/22 03:26:53 (permalink)
    Had the same problem although thankfully my charge was smaller (£65.53 using UPS) as they value of the card is lower (RTX2060). Did you have any luck claiming off HMRC? If so how did you go about this? There seems to be a whole heap of different forms about so no clue where to start.

Despite being a long time EVGA customer I won't be buying any more EVGA products. The whole situation is ridiculous and while I'm aware this is more a Brexit issue than a EVGA issue this could easily be solved by EVGA by returning to use Scan Computers as a RMA centre for UK returns, like they have in the past which would sidestep the whole issue while lowering postage costs for the end user.
    Trickste63
    Re: RMA Nightmare 2022/01/22 05:18:46 (permalink)
    I did reclaim the first charge via HMRC (but loose the admin charge from ParcelForce) and will do the same for this one once I have the paperwork that should be with the card when it get delivered on next week. The process isnt difficult but as always HMRC are quick to take money but slower to pay its back which
    usually takes a few weeks. The problem is EVGA put a value on the Customs Declaration Form (CN23) which if worth more than £135 flags the Import duty flag.

I had to fill in BOR286 Form stating why I'm requesting a duty import refund along with the CN23 and the EVGA Proforma Invoice which shows this is an RMA case (replacement under warranty) and the charge label from the parcel.
    RSronin
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: RMA Nightmare 2022/01/24 14:28:01 (permalink)
    I unfortunately had a very similar problem which I'll share. I just RMAd a faulty 2080TI and the whole process took about 3 weeks. When I read the stories about huge customs fees I just thought it was a vocal minority and decided to risk it and I regret it.

I sent the card with no problems other than paying £40 to ship it but receiving the replacement from UPS took a while and then I had to pay a staggering £162 in import charges. Since mine was delivered through UPS I'm not sure how I go about getting my money back and their support hasn't contacted me for 5 days since I called them for help and they referred me to email. Unfortunately the card I received appears to be showing signs of defectiveness (green lines on the screen on my first boot but a restart fixes it oddly) also and I cannot afford to pay another £200 to RMA it again until I get a refund from UPS which may never happen.

The whole process has been really stressful and as a customer I feel really let down and upset and it's also costing me a lot of my own time trying to troubleshoot technical issues as well as researching how I'm supposed to get my money back from UPS/HRMC.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: RMA Nightmare 2022/01/25 20:35:41 (permalink)

That sucks they charge import duty on a replacement card - effectively double taxation. EVGA would have to put the value on the item being shipped because if it got lost or damaged that would be the value that was covered by insurance.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

EVGATech_DavidR
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 318
    Re: RMA Nightmare 2022/01/30 10:39:59 (permalink)
    In reference to import fees, we ship all replacements with the indication the item is indeed a warranty replacement and therefore should not be treated as a purchase for tax/import purposes. If your customs agency or local government is imposing import fees for warranty replacement/repaired items, I highly recommend taking it directly to the local tax and customs offices, as these charges are not valid, based on my understanding of customs import duties and fees, which should only be assessed on purchases.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile