Important observation regarding Nu Audio frequency response

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Important observation regarding Nu Audio frequency response 2021/08/19 07:46:47 (permalink)
Don't use a sound card as an oscilloscope.  The bandwidth is terrible.  The sample rate is terrible.  The frequency range is terrible.  The software is hacky.  The results are inconsistent based on all the unknowns which are out of your control.  You can't properly set it up with proper reference instruments, so what is the point?  It's just a terrible idea.  You can get a good oscilloscope for cheaper with all sorts of analyzers built in.  No self-respecting scientist or engineer uses a sound card as an oscilloscope.  An oscilloscope is an audio analyzer, and so much more.

BLMLN
Again, you're still trying to make a point in a question that you don´t understand.

I understand the question.  The question is: how does your complaint affect anyone who buys the product for its intended purpose?  It doesn't.  It affects no one who listens to or records audio with this card.  The specs aren't misleading because EVGA doesn't advertise the frequency response.  The frequency response doesn't matter to anyone who uses the card for its intended application, because no human can hear those frequencies, and those high sample rates were useless marketing gimmicks in the first place.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/08/19 07:49:51

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

BLMLN
  • Total Posts : 28
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Important observation regarding Nu Audio frequency response 2021/08/19 08:33:26 (permalink)
An audio analyzer is not an oscilloscope. An audio analyzer must have a bandwidth of one or two hundred kHz, in general, and it is easily achieved by a good audio card, as I showed above. If the audio analyzer is set up to show a waveform in the time domain (an accessory function), it will be capable of show it, with all the harmonics, until those hundreds of kHz, with no problems. Your assumption is wrong.

Another wrong assumption from you is that I´m using this software as an oscilloscope for general purposes, and I don´t. I have three wide-bandwidth oscilloscopes from Tek, Keysight and Siglent and I know how and when using them.  

And, I was thinking that it was not necessary to explain again, but it is: the intended application of a sound card is the connection, from the analog domain to the computational domain, for domestic music reproduction purposes, for audio analysis and measurements purposes, for medical purposes, for scientific purposes, for studio monitoring and creation purposes etc, or whatever that needs this conversion, with a proper adaptor or even without it.

Regards,

post edited by BLMLN - 2021/08/19 08:34:52
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Important observation regarding Nu Audio frequency response 2021/08/19 09:18:53 (permalink)
BLMLN
An audio analyzer is not an oscilloscope. An audio analyzer must have a bandwidth of one or two hundred kHz, in general, and it is easily achieved by a good audio card, as I showed above. If the audio analyzer is set up to show a waveform in the time domain (an accessory function), it will be capable of show it, with all the harmonics, until those hundreds of kHz, with no problems. ... I have three wide-bandwidth oscilloscopes from Tek, Keysight and Siglent and I know how and when using them.

Then you know that an oscilloscope is able to do all of that handily.

And, I was thinking that it was not necessary to explain again, but it is: the intended application of a sound card is the connection, from the analog domain to the computational domain, for domestic music reproduction purposes, for audio analysis and measurements purposes, for medical purposes, for scientific purposes, for studio monitoring and creation purposes etc, or whatever that needs this conversion, with a proper adaptor or even without it.

Again, then you know that an oscilloscope is designed to do all of that, for cheaper than the price of a computer, has configurable frequency limits, configurable bandwidth limits, built in data analysis, can export data via USB for further analysis or presentation, broader frequency capability, broader bandwidth capability, and, best of all, it is calibrated so that all of your data isn't useless garbage. No scientist or engineer uses an uncalibrated sound card.

So, AGAIN, you are not using the sound card for its intended purpose. I don't know why you keep avoiding it. For its intended purpose, a frequency response which is higher than a human can hear, higher than a microphone can record, and higher than a speaker can play, is not a problem.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

BLMLN
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: Important observation regarding Nu Audio frequency response 2021/08/19 21:11:05 (permalink)
AGAIN, you really don´t understand what are you talking about.

So, AGAIN, an oscilloscope is not an audio analyzer. After many posts, you still don't understand what an audio analyzer is. Impressive.

After a fixation about ultrasound and marketing practices, and, after that, aliasing, now you´re trying to make a point in oscilloscopes.

No, we, audio engineers and scientists, usually do not use sound cards as scopes (there are PC interfaces for that, BTW).

We are using sound cards and audio interfaces for AUDIO analysis (THD, IMD, SNR, crosstalk, transfer functions or Bode plots etc). 

The oscilloscope is used in the time domain for waveform analysis and measurements, and no, the price tag of a good oscilloscope is higher than a PC one.

Two different pieces of equipment for different functions that can be used together, if necessary.

It is going to be ridiculous, but, if you insist, we can go ahead until the forum server reaches the disk full. 

Regards,

post edited by BLMLN - 2021/08/19 21:12:15
BizSAR
EGC Lead Admin / EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 1712
Re: Important observation regarding Nu Audio frequency response 2021/08/19 21:43:22 (permalink)
BLMLN
It is going to be ridiculous, but, if you insist, we can go ahead until the forum server reaches the disk full. 

Or a moderator is sick of seeing the pointless arguing. Agree to disagree and move on please folks.

BizSAR
EVGA 3090Ti FTW3 Ultra / ZOTAC 4070Ti Trinity OC - ASUS ROG PG279QM
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile