EVGA

Helpful ReplyMonster Radiator Passive Watercooling/Help me realise my dream build! Thanks for Help!

Author
eduonkhl
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 105
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/06/18 17:28:31 (permalink)
Hey Guys!
I need your help with some more special kind of project I have in mind. Ever since I started building my own PCs all the way back in 2013, my dream was to go Watercooling at one point. Now I think is the time. Since pretty much all components are hard to get, I now have the chance to "prepare" my PC for it's next revision.

What I have in mind:
I want a cooling sollution that is capable of handling full load for how long it's needed (so let's just say 24/7) WITHOUT any fans running. So the only sources of noise should be: PSU Fan, HDD (yes I still have one of those but I can only replace it once I have enought SSD story which is not the case atm) and Waterpump. I plan to cool the CPU (maybe VRMs, Monoblock?) and GPU (I don't have what I want yet but let's say it's worst case and it's one of them 3x8 pins ones that can pull 480 watts and upwards total)

How I want to achive it:
Use huge Radiators and lots of liquid so it takes forever to warm up and hopefully the huge rads are enough that it stops warming up at one point that's cool enough (ideally sub 60°C GPU temps and sub 70°C CPU both when overclocked).

Current plan of parts:
No idea on what case to use but the only options are a fully custom built one (are there any modular ones that have like ATX standard and stuff to make life easier?) or take an existing case and either mount the rads to it by using custom mounts (maybe 3D printed adapters?) or just have them sitting next to the case since they have feet and can stand on themselves (LT Model that is), in that case a testbench or something would be enough or something like the thermaltake p5 or cooler master masterframe 700. First plan was actually a Thermaltake Core P7 but the seem to be end of life and nowhere availiable. Also damn that thing is heavy on itself (35kg/77lb), imagine if you add all PC components, multiple 7 kg (~15lb) rads and water O.o

The Radiators:
Watercool MO-RA3 420 LT (Model with mountable fans, 9x140, currently have 6x140 in my case, just for redundancy if it gets too hot, not intended to be run at all)
Watercool MO-RA3 420 Core (Same as the LT but no mounting options for fans so it's a passive radiator and it's also much cheaper)

Not sure yet if I should get 2x 420 LT for looks, 1x420 Core and 1x420 LT to save a bit of money or 2x420 Core and 1x420 LT 
Why I chose those rads: https://hardware-helden.d...terradiatoren-im-test/
Also because the 420 Core is often listed as a passive cooler and the manufacturer itself says it's very good for passive cooling which the results of low fan speed seem to confirm.

1 or 2 DDC Pumps probably needed to keep pressure up with so many rads?parallel for redundancy?in series for pressure multiply? half loop split for pressure consistency? Maybe put inside ventilated housing and noise dimming foam to reduce noise. Is the DDC also cooled by the water flowing through it? Pump alternatives that are cooled like that? No D5 please I want it to be quiet and that pump has terrible waterflow at 50% atleast according to a video released by the well known overclocker der8auer on the CasekingTV youtube channel: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36m9ChMKXA
L/h results shown at 6:30, again I want this PC to be next to inaudible and I can't imagine that a DDC that is known for being louder is actually louder if run at very low % and should still outperform a D5 at MUCH lower % rpm.

CPU Block:
Hope to get my hands on an Ncore V1D for direct die cooling, which means deliding the CPU and using something like Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Liquid Metal on the nickel layer of the bare die.

GPU Block:
So far I heard that Optimus has one if not the best deltas out of every block? When and if or I get a GPU :/ If it's a 3090 I'd also intend to have active backplate cooling because of the GDDR6X on the back. Also higher memory OC's should be possible besides just much better memory temps?

Additional Parts:
1x Aqua Computer high flow NEXT
Haven't decided on reservoir yet but honestly everyone I see is waaaaayyy to expensive, manufactures really take advantage of the niche that is custom watercooling lol same with fittings etc.
Quick disconnects for easy radiator cleaning outside with compressed air (recommendations?)
Soft tubing prefered for higher mobility. Have some ZMT Tubes in mind since I don't really have any plans to color it anyway.

MISCELLANEOUS: 
I'd like to have a black-gold industrial look overall, fittings? other creative ideas?
Any recommendations for the cooling liquid I should use? Which one has good performance, isn't conductive and most important, non toxic (in case of leaks if not at home since I have a cat), 

Hope I didn't forget anything, I know this text is very long already. All "?" is the stuff I need your advice with. If anything else is there that you want to give advice with feel free to do so. The GPU I have now is not the one I want to watercool. It's just a temporary one, but I want to have this setup ready for when I get my hands on a newer much more powerful GPU, even if only the CPU is cooled until then. Long story short: I'm stuck with an GTX 1660 Super for now that I bought for my 2nd mid range PC and only intended to use it until I have Nvidia 3000 series GPU (3080 and above), was one of them "stupid" people that sold his RTX 2070 Super because he thought it's worthless after new launch and I wanted the much more powerful 3080 so bad lmao

Current PC Components:

CPU: i7 8700k
CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
Mainboard: ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING
RAM: 32GB (4x8) G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 CL14-14-14-34
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Samsung 840 Evo 250 GB SSD
HDD: Toshiba 2 TB 64 MB cache HDD 7200 rpm Sata 3
PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power 10 (1000 Watt)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300r
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX 2

Peripherals:
Monitors: Asus VG248QE, Benq FP202WA
Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 250 Ohm
Mouse: Razer Mamba Wireless (2018)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 (QWERTZ)
Wheel: Logitech G27
Speakers: Logitech X210
Joystick: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

Thanks for reading through this mess! It's relativly early in the planning stage but I thought I can make some better purchasing decisions with some help from you guys. Thanks for all the comments in advance, you guys and girls rule!
post edited by eduonkhl - 2021/06/18 17:34:15
Flint 1760
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8295
  • Ribbons : 45
Re: Monster Radiator Passive Watercooling/Help me realise my dream build! Thanks for Help! 2021/06/19 07:05:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby eduonkhl 2021/10/19 13:24:48
I'm glad you have fans on something because you will need them and your case still needs air flow to cool parts you are not water cooling.  A few things to consider:
1. What is the ambient temperature in the room where your system will be located both summer and winter?  This will help determine how much cooling capacity you will have.
2.  How large is the room and is there any airflow through the room?  The heat generated by your MORAs has to go somewhere and if it stays in the room, you may not be able to tolerate the heat and your system temperatures will rise until they reach equilibrium with the ambient plus cooling delta.  You will save a ton on your home heating bill though.
3.  Have you considered the point of diminishing returns with thermodynamics.  Up to a point, your heat exchange maximizes and then the more cooling you add, your efficiency falls off rapidly.  With the above, you are way beyond that point.
4.  Have you thought about a water chiller for your system?  Koolance and Hailea have systems for PCs.  The only consideration you have with a chiller is to monitor the room temperature and dew point spread and set the chiller temperature accordingly to prevent condensation.  You'll probably save money compared to the above.

Just some thoughts on your post, wish you well with this endeavor.
post edited by Flint 1760 - 2021/06/19 08:04:10

cannabination
  • Total Posts : 55
Re: Monster Radiator Passive Watercooling/Help me realise my dream build! Thanks for Help! 2021/06/22 15:49:41 (permalink)
This is a very cool idea, but as Flint said, doing this without moving air is going to be tough and expensive, and take up some space. It's really important to the heat exchange process that cool air pass through the rad to keep it fed full of air into which to exchange said heat.

With two mo-ra3s you could have your fans spinning at an absurdly low rpm and still maintain that level of airflow; with the right fans you'd never hear them. I have a 360, a 120, and a 280 and my system is silent. I'm not sure you need to go as far out as you're talking about to get your desired result, unless going all the way out there is your actual goal, just to see if you can.

If that's the case, good luck and hit up some science-y reddits xD
eduonkhl
Superclocked Member
Re: Monster Radiator Passive Watercooling/Help me realise my dream build! Thanks for Help! 2021/10/19 12:45:31 (permalink)
Flint 1760
I'm glad you have fans on something because you will need them and your case still needs air flow to cool parts you are not water cooling.  A few things to consider:
1. What is the ambient temperature in the room where your system will be located both summer and winter?  This will help determine how much cooling capacity you will have.
2.  How large is the room and is there any airflow through the room?  The heat generated by your MORAs has to go somewhere and if it stays in the room, you may not be able to tolerate the heat and your system temperatures will rise until they reach equilibrium with the ambient plus cooling delta.  You will save a ton on your home heating bill though.
3.  Have you considered the point of diminishing returns with thermodynamics.  Up to a point, your heat exchange maximizes and then the more cooling you add, your efficiency falls off rapidly.  With the above, you are way beyond that point.
4.  Have you thought about a water chiller for your system?  Koolance and Hailea have systems for PCs.  The only consideration you have with a chiller is to monitor the room temperature and dew point spread and set the chiller temperature accordingly to prevent condensation.  You'll probably save money compared to the above.

Just some thoughts on your post, wish you well with this endeavor.

Hi there! I know I'm very late to respond but to answer your questions:

Air flow shouldn't be a problem. Check out this video from LTT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfbcD248n4Y&ab_channel=LinusTechTips
I'm going more overkill than this so the air exchange from pure temperature difference from the rads should be more than enough

Idk but should be something in the range of 18-20°C

Shouldn't be too big of a problem, in winter the heater thermostat should just turn on less. Worst case I just open the window for a few minutes.

Yes. I'm intentionally going overkill. If PC building since 2013 has tought me anything is that, parts with long year use and compatibility is worth going overkill with, as it actually saves money in the long run. For example: I bought a be quiet 1000 watt psu back in 2013 which was waaay overkill for only an i7 4820k, quad channel ram, gtx 760, 1 ssd, 1 hdd and 2 fans. Guess who is laughing now. Won't even need a new psu when those supposed 600 watt gpus come out lmao

I've looked into that, but to be honest it's a clear no from me. Not only do the good ones comsume stupendous amounts of power, which rivals the pc itself, they are also REALLY loud, which defeats the whole purpose of this build AND on top of that they are really expensive by themselves, so much so that I could buy 3-4 extra mo-ras.

PS: I'll make a 2nd post here to update on the current situation 

Thanks for the reply
eduonkhl
Superclocked Member
Re: Monster Radiator Passive Watercooling/Help me realise my dream build! Thanks for Help! 2021/10/19 13:24:14 (permalink)
Update on the build:

So far I have acquired:
2x Mo-RA3 420LT
Alphacool Eisdecke DDC Dual and 2x DDC Pumps
Tonsuny 1.25L PC Watertank
Ncore V1D
Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut to go with the Ncore
High Flow Next
EK ZMT Tubing 
EK Concentrate to add to destilled water
FINALLY a gpu: 3070 ti ftw3 ultra ( but it's sure not this one I want to watercool, 8GB is a joke for 4k to which I want to upgrade soon so no gpu waterblock until I have something with more Vram and performance)
Still undecided on the case but I'd like to have some open air case so passively cooled parts have some breathing room
PC Cases in Question so far: Win X-Frame 2, Cougar Blazer, Raijintek Enyo, Raijintek Paean, MEG Alchemy 700x, Cooler Master MF700
Not in Question: Core P5/P7 (too heavy, availability of P7, still need to check on weight on the above, maintnance reasons)
Fittings still need ordering 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile