I’m in step up queues for a 3080 NON LHR

Author
matthmaroo
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 184
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/06/05 10:32:45 (permalink)
I’m October 9th queue so it could be another 3 months realistically…. Is EVGA just going to give me an LHR card ?

I personally think LHR is dumb as this will be cracked eventually and will just cause the average consumer to not be able to recover some costs of the cards.( I don’t want additional step to be able to use my cards full potential )

I’m not a pro miner I have cards for myself and 3 kids … this gets expensive and NiceHash helps a lot with affordability.

I’m queued for a 3080ti , I’m fine with that being LHR because I new it was when I signed up for it. I’ll go through a hassle to get around LHR.

My issue is with my 8 month wait for a normal 3080
post edited by matthmaroo - 2021/06/05 11:37:15

15 Replies Related Threads

Doumi111
    • Total Posts : 66
    Re: I’m in step up queues for a 3080 NON LHR 2021/06/05 12:53:58 (permalink)
    Hello,

Eventough I can understand how frustrating the wait can be, I admit I am far less concerned about the mining issues. Please understand that use of graphic cards to mine crypto currencies are somewhat an abuse of what this hardware is made for. Neither Nvidia nor EVGA are selling those components while claiming mining capabilities, because this is not what those parts are aiming for, those are mostly gaming graphic cards.

If at some point Nvidia or EVGA made changes that would alter in a bad way gaming performances, I would clearly understand that customers would be pissed.

That being said, I still wish you to get the best card, for the use you want to make of it. But I must add I am really impatient this whole crypto currencies world ends. Those are, at this point, serving no other purpose than greed to make money while doing absolutely nothing, this is not work, it helps no one, adds absolutely no value to the world we are living on (to be honest, destroying it a bit more when you consider power consumption of those big mining farms), and in the end, it can't even be used for what it is: a currency. Because its value is so fluctuent there is no point even considering using it as a money, since it is just a game of how much people are willing to pay for it. In its best scenario, it could be used for money laundering... So much for that.

I have seen stupid things in my life, but this is on the podium, and might stay there for as long as I live. : )
    matthmaroo
    Superclocked Member
    Re: I’m in step up queues for a 3080 NON LHR 2021/06/05 15:12:39 (permalink)
    How’s it an abuse?

It’s just using cuda ?

Are you okay with nvidia telling you what you can do with your equipment?

What if nvidia gets into a fight with blizzard and nerfs performance or some other crazy idea
    post edited by matthmaroo - 2021/06/05 17:24:01
    vatrak
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: I’m in step up queues for a 3080 NON LHR 2021/06/05 16:06:36 (permalink)
    Doumi111
    Neither Nvidia nor EVGA are selling those components while claiming mining capabilities, because this is not what those parts are aiming for, those are mostly gaming graphic cards.

Please stop repeating that. This is not a thing.  
    And if it became a thing, everybody should fight against it. Product makers dictating how you use your product and finding ways to deny warranty is bad news for everybody.
    matthmaroo
    Superclocked Member
    Re: I’m in step up queues for a 3080 NON LHR 2021/06/05 17:25:43 (permalink)
    Anyone that thinks LHR is about helping gamers is delusional
    Doumi111
    Re: I’m in step up queues for a 3080 NON LHR 2021/06/05 17:55:22 (permalink)
    Yup, I am okay Nvidia telling me what to do with their products, because those parts are gaming graphic cards and know what, I am using these as gaming graphic cards...

I should add I am also using my coffee machine to make coffee, my toothbrush to brush my teeth, I am not putting aluminium in the microwave, I am following assembly instructions whenever I get a new furniture... My life is pretty much dictated by product makers! Sad uh? I would not have the chance to feel the real freedom like you are, deviating the use of a product to make easy $$$.

And if at some point in the madness of this world, some people say that putting your toothbrush in your butt and sending the video all over the internet could make you a very rich man, I would still be very okay with the toothbrush makers having to think of a way to prevent people to do that crap (and that could be quite a challenging task)...

Sorry guys, but I won't follow you on this one. I made my point quite clearly, crypto currencies are in my opinion a total non sense (in their current state) that I would very much like to see disappear sooner than later. ; )
    msromike
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re: I’m in step up queues for a 3080 NON LHR 2021/06/05 22:51:16 (permalink)
    matthmaroo
    Anyone that thinks LHR is about helping gamers is delusional

That or very uninformed. Nvidia is winning either way. Whether your using a GPU for Graphics or Mining Nvidia is happy to sell silicon. The LHR BS is simply a gimmick to draw attention away from the fact that gamers would have GPUs if Nvidia hadn't made the CMP line and sold more of them directly to miners instead of filling orders for companies like EVGA which is the only reason I will buy Nvidia GPUs. EVGA is second to none in design and material quality plus they have great customer service. IF EVGA went AMD I would go with them because it's EVGA that is making Nvidia look so good. Buy a Gigabyte version of a similar card and you'll quickly discover the differences. Better thermals and higher clocks from the best-looking GPUs IMO. LHR is not a bother either as I would buy a cheaper more vanilla GPU if I was mining, not my RTX 2070 Super FTW3 Ultra! lol  Peace!

No matter where you go..There you are.

Corsair 7000D
     AMD 5950X
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Series 64GB (2 x 32GB)
    SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe Gen 4 Gaming M.2
    Crucial MX500 2TB 3D NAND SATA
    CORSAIR iCUE H170i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler
    ASUS 570X ROG STRIX Gamer WiFi2
    ASUS ROG Strix LC NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti OC Edition 
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P2
    For Development/PC Gaming/VR
    matthmaroo
    Superclocked Member
    Re: I’m in step up queues for a 3080 NON LHR 2021/06/06 06:10:41 (permalink)
    Don’t ever use an old toothed brush to clean anything or repurpose a shipping box … don’t ever innovate to discover a new use for something.

I bet you follow all laws , rules and regulations because you have to do what you are told with everything.

Be sure to listen to that screen time warning … and remember to get enough sleep.

It’s not home miners that caused this shortage , it’s NVIDIA that you are defending directly selling pallets of graphics cards to mining firms
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11105
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: I’m in step up queues for a 3080 NON LHR 2021/06/06 07:12:48 (permalink)
    If it were miners fault there is a shortage, there would be no shortage of chips for cars, stoves, TVs, consoles and other electronics that use chips. They don't use then to mine now do they.
    Also if they cut the ETH mining production a card can do mining, would the miner just buy more cards to make up for it...

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Berozg
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: I’m in step up queues for a 3080 NON LHR 2021/06/06 08:25:04 (permalink)
    i have nothing against getting LHR card.. so if anyone refuse to pick one up from notification let me know i would gladly take it.

matthmaroo
    Superclocked Member
    Re: I’m in step up queues for a 3080 NON LHR 2021/06/06 08:47:18 (permalink)
    In my post I said I’m fine with the 3080ti being LHR , I knew it was LHR when I queued

However , I queued for a fully functional 3080 , 8 months ago

That’s my issue

Mining is a great way for average people to recover costs with no hassle
    Doumi111
    Re: I’m in step up queues for a 3080 NON LHR 2021/06/06 09:58:29 (permalink)
    matthmaroo
    It’s not home miners that caused this shortage , it’s NVIDIA that you are defending directly selling pallets of graphics cards to mining firms

I never said in my replies here that miners are the cause of the GPU shortage, neither do I defend Nvidia in any way, and I am not even aware of your assertment that they are providing graphic cards hand to hand to farmers, mostly because I do not care at all, so I keep myself away lurking for bits of information on social network, or wherever this is coming from...

It is cypto currency in its whole shape I can't honestly stand, it is just plain stupid in my opinion.

I can feel in your comments that you are in some kind of war with Nvidia about this matter, and you would like me and everyone to pick a side in this battle. Again, sorry, but I do hate crypto currencies, and I don't feel like I am on Nvidia side either, this is not a fight I would like to join.

Yes I would like graphic cards to stay what they are supposed to be. In the current case, they have been deviated from their initial purpose, now those are sold 1,5x or even 2x their real prices, because people think they can make profits out of it.

I am a long time pc gamer, and since I make decent money out of my job for some years now, I'm used to buy high end computer parts for my own treat. Before that, I had far less means, and I could only afford lower end components. It wasn't frustrating, for me and for most, those are just grown up toys, no big deal. Now, some people are paying outrageous prices for those GPU, way above their budget, hoping they would get their "investment" back. In my opinion, this is wrong, and this will lead the market to be disrupted for as long as it goes.

So, if some changes could stop those items being seen as investments, I'm good with that.
    post edited by Doumi111 - 2021/06/06 10:00:34
    sobdog
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: I’m in step up queues for a 3080 NON LHR 2021/06/06 18:14:57 (permalink)
    I would hope being an elite member would be fast than 8 months.
    matthmaroo
    Superclocked Member
    Re: I’m in step up queues for a 3080 NON LHR 2021/06/06 21:02:15 (permalink)
    I signed up on October 9th , not on day 1
    SirImperial
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re: I’m in step up queues for a 3080 NON LHR 2021/06/08 05:21:33 (permalink)
    oof u shouldve gone for 3090 

Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite v.2
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    ZOTAC GAMING GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER Twin Fan
    Team Vulcan Z Gray 16GB 3200hz
    WD Black NVMe 500GB
    Silverstone 850W fully modular
    Tecware VXR Dual Chamber ATX
    damadamadama
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: I’m in step up queues for a 3080 NON LHR 2021/06/08 07:22:05 (permalink)
    EVGA never promised you a 3080 by entering queue.  I don't care about gamers mining in their off time (though tbh you're just wasting energy for no tangible benefit), but people buying 10s, 100s, 1000s of cards to mine eth are absolutely contributing to the chip shortage.  Nvidia has no control over supply, so they are changing products to make them less attractive.  If I had to guess, they don't see the miners as a reliable long term cash stream and thus don't feel the need to cater to their demands.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile