Helpful ReplyOwner/Buyer Beware: Hybrid Cards and Kits

Author
ZoranC
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1099
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 16
2021/04/07 23:51:34 (permalink)
While putting my system back together today threads in one of the mounting holes on radiator of my 2080 Super FTW3 Hybrid got completely stripped (not threads on the screw but inside the hole).

I was using screws supplied with the card, I was always very careful not to crossthread nor overtighten, card was mounted less than a dozen of times yet threads in that hole got stripped completely clean off so now my radiator is attached to the case with only three screws.

To me that implies metal used for radiator is soft (or at least softer enough than screws) and couldn’t withstand being (re)mounted more than few times, as if manufacturer didn’t design/test them for being mounted more than few times.

So buyer beware when (re)assembling systems with Hybrid cards, you might end up with damage to them just through what should be normal no issue activity and they are extremely expensive and practically impossible to replace/fix nowadays.
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: Owner/Buyer Beware: Hybrid Cards and Kits 2021/04/08 01:18:35 (permalink)
ZoranC
While putting my system back together today threads in one of the mounting holes on radiator of my 2080 Super FTW3 Hybrid got completely stripped (not threads on the screw but inside the hole).

I was using screws supplied with the card, I was always very careful not to crossthread nor overtighten, card was mounted less than a dozen of times yet threads in that hole got stripped completely clean off so now my radiator is attached to the case with only three screws.

To me that implies metal used for radiator is soft (or at least softer enough than screws) and couldn’t withstand being (re)mounted more than few times, as if manufacturer didn’t design/test them for being mounted more than few times.

So buyer beware when (re)assembling systems with Hybrid cards, you might end up with damage to them just through what should be normal no issue activity and they are extremely expensive and practically impossible to replace/fix nowadays.

You stripped out the screw hole. It did not go from screw properly installed to completely stripped out in ONE install. Too me that implies you stripped it. Come on. 
I'd hazard to say I have done mine at least 30 times trying different fan combos and the screw holes are just same as they were new.
But yes, of course every one should take proper care rule number one being I always start the screws with my fingers. If I  can't then I use my fingers to spin the screwdriver shaft versus using the handle. Nearly impossible to apply enough torque to cross thread. Free Pro Tip.
Of course you're not arguing only you got a rad with soft metal right? Point being, you're about the first person to complain about this. I'd say instead of claiming they made a defective product, maybe the defect is PEBKAC.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

ZoranC
FTW Member
Re: Owner/Buyer Beware: Hybrid Cards and Kits 2021/04/08 01:42:53 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
ZoranC

You stripped out the screw hole. It did not go from screw properly installed to completely stripped out in ONE install. Too me that implies you stripped it. Come on. 
I'd hazard to say I have done mine at least 30 times trying different fan combos and the screw holes are just same as they were new.
But yes, of course every one should take proper care rule number one being I always start the screws with my fingers. If I  can't then I use my fingers to spin the screwdriver shaft versus using the handle. Nearly impossible to apply enough torque to cross thread. Free Pro Tip.
Of course you're not arguing only you got a rad with soft metal right? Point being, you're about the first person to complain about this. I'd say instead of claiming they made a defective product, maybe the defect is PEBKAC.

First, if you do have Hybrid card then you should know it is impossible to start those screws with fingers.

Next, it seems you skipped (or chose to ignore) part where I clearly stated I was very careful not to overtighten the screws. I don't need you to tell me to make it only finger tight.

Last, but not least, whether it took dozen times to get it stripped just by finger tightening it point is still the same: For that to be able to happen screw has to be harder than hole. Otherwise it would be screw that would get stripped. As simple as that.

BTW, why I have an impression you keep looking for bones to pick with me? :)
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102313
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: Owner/Buyer Beware: Hybrid Cards and Kits 2021/04/08 01:45:31 (permalink)
OK everyone let's watch the opinions here and respect each other's posts. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

kryan963
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Owner/Buyer Beware: Hybrid Cards and Kits 2021/04/08 21:58:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ZoranC 2021/04/08 22:03:58
It will not be expensive or impossible to fix this.  The screw size for the radiator is 6-32, the closest metric equivalent is a M3.5 x 6 screw.  You need to tap the stripped hole for the next size up screw.   I would use a M4 x 0.35 fine thread screw, you can get one at any hardware store.  Tapping the threads for it is easy.  At your local hardware store ask for Spiral Point Tap-thread size M4 x 0.35.  You will also need a 3.65mm drill bit, a cutting handle, and cutting oil.  Use the 3.65mm drill bit to drill through the stripped out hole, attach the spiral point tap to the cutting handle, apply cutting oil to the threads on the spiral point tap, then with light to firm downward pressure turn the cutting handle clockwise, the teeth will catch the metal and start making the new threads, turn it 2 to 3 turns clockwise, then stop and back the tap out counterclockwise and clear the metal chips. Repeat that process until you have gone all the way through the hole. Repeat the process on the case as well.  Clean up the oil and metal shavings and now you have a new threaded hole that will fit the M4 x 0.35 screw you bought.

post edited by kryan963 - 2021/04/08 22:02:27
ZoranC
FTW Member
Re: Owner/Buyer Beware: Hybrid Cards and Kits 2021/04/08 22:04:17 (permalink)
kryan963
It will not be expensive or impossible to fix this.  The screw size for the radiator is 6-32, the closest metric equivalent is a M3.5 x 6 screw.  You need to tap the stripped hole for the next size up screw.   I would use a M4 x 0.35 fine thread screw, you can get one at any hardware store.  Tapping the threads for it is easy.  At your local hardware store ask for Spiral Point Tap-thread size M4 x 0.35.  You will also need a 3.65mm drill bit, a cutting handle, and cutting oil.  Use the 3.65mm drill bit to drill through the stripped out hole, attach the spiral point tap to the cutting handle, apply cutting oil to the threads on the spiral point tap, then with light to firm downward pressure turn the cutting handle clockwise, the teeth will catch the metal and start making the new threads, turn it 2 to 3 turns clockwise, then stop and back the tap out counterclockwise and clear the metal chips. Repeat that process until you have gone all the way through the hole. Repeat the process on the case as well.  Clean up the oil and metal shavings and now you have a new threaded hole that will fit the M4 x 0.35 screw you bought.

Thank you VERY VERY much!
ZoranC
FTW Member
Re: Owner/Buyer Beware: Hybrid Cards and Kits 2021/04/08 22:11:37 (permalink)
To those that are interested: Earlier today I checked radiator mounting area and then screw itself with a magnet. Mounting area is non-magnetic while screw is magnetic indicating mount is, as suspected, aluminum while screw is most likely steel.

Use coarse thread steel screw on hole in relatively thin aluminum and what’s the worst thing that can happen, right? In my opinion result is exactly what could’ve been easily expected.
ZoranC
FTW Member
Re: Owner/Buyer Beware: Hybrid Cards and Kits 2021/04/08 22:35:04 (permalink)
kryan963
The screw size for the radiator is 6-32 ...

Do you happen to know length of it, please?
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: Owner/Buyer Beware: Hybrid Cards and Kits 2021/04/08 22:41:26 (permalink)
Yes, thats correct. Rad will be all aluminum or copper finned/alum shroud because those combos are best for heat dissipation. Steel screw is used so you can have reliable multi removals/installs. If it was a alum screw and alum shroud it would be ruined the first time they use them. You'd never get them out again and if you did they most certainly would not be going back in. You cant act like a monkey with delicate electronics and components and def do not use power tools on them or you will ruin things. Not saying you or anyone else did, just saying in general. Its kinda like using a air ratchet to remove lug nuts but you def do not use them to put the lugz back on!

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
ZoranC
FTW Member
Re: Owner/Buyer Beware: Hybrid Cards and Kits 2021/04/08 22:55:36 (permalink)
wmmills
Yes, thats correct. Rad will be all aluminum or copper finned/alum shroud because those combos are best for heat dissipation. Steel screw is used so you can have reliable multi removals/installs. If it was a alum screw and alum shroud it would be ruined the first time they use them. You'd never get them out again and if you did they most certainly would not be going back in. You cant act like a monkey with delicate electronics and components and def do not use power tools on them or you will ruin things.

That radiator is aluminum makes sense but that doesn't mean tabs with mounting hole have to be aluminum. Otherwise design is guaranteed to have high(er) chance of threads in hole stripping even when person is extra careful.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile