EVGA

GT 1030 compatibility with legacy motherboard

Author
nihildrill
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/05/26 14:43:04 (permalink)
I have an older PC desktop computer that has recently been giving me display errors and BSOD with artifacts. I might do some more research to see if it's possibly a driver issue but for now I'm treating it as a GPU failure.

I purchased a GeForce GT 1030 SC 2GB GDDR5 Low Profile graphics card (02G-P4-6333-KR) thinking it only needed to fit into the PCIe x 16 slot, which it did. I installed it into my tower and left the PSU connector from my old GPU dangling, since I didn't see indications that the GT 1030 requires external power (right?)

When I tried to boot up I got stuck at the first HP BIOS screen (blue with the deck of cards). No responsiveness from the keyboard and one beep, followed by a few moments pause and 4-5 more beeps. I reinstalled my old GPU and the computer starts up fine.

I'm trying to figure out if this card is even compatible with my setup. After googling I'm finding contradictory info on whether or not my motherboard will accept the GT 1030. Some say it's a BIOS issue (UEFI vs legacy), others say it should work no problem.

Is this something I can fix with some kind of update or BIOS setting change?

My specifications are:
- HP Pavilion HPE h8-1210t CTO Desktop PC
- Windows 7 64bit
- AMD Radeon HD 6850 1 GB GDDR5
- Intel Core i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10 GHz
- BIOS version AMI 7.13
- SMBIOS version 2.6
- HP (Pegatron?) motherboard IPISB-CH2
- 460W PSU

If the GT 1030 is a no-go, are there any other cards I could purchase new to replace my dying one? I'd rather not go looking for a used model that's out of production, unless I have no other options. I don't game on the computer, so if the new card specs can handle movies I'm fine with it. I'm also pretty sure I don't have an integrated card to use as backup either.

Any help is appreciated.
post edited by nihildrill - 2020/05/26 15:06:19

1 Reply Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: GT 1030 compatibility with legacy motherboard 2020/05/27 08:11:44 (permalink)
    Yes, it's very likely that the issue you are experiencing is an incompatibility between EUFI and legacy BIOS. I suggest thag you contact EVGA and see if they can help you. Some times EVGA provides individuals modified firmware for legacy BIOS motherboards. Or, in the least, EVGA would be able to tell you which of their cards would work with legacy BIOS (I think the GTX 600 series was the last to officially support legacy BIOS, but EVGA might know of some special newer cards).

https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile