EVGA

Looking for guidance on how to record some guitar with my nu audio card.

Author
streetglide420
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 246
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/12/14 16:12:50 (permalink)
I have an Nu audio card, and im looking to plug my guitar into the line in. 

I understand ill need some other software on the other end, but i want to make sure im hooking it up right.

My two options would be DI Out of my amp (Marshall SV20H) with a 1/4" jack, adapt it over to 1/8" for the sound card,  or run guitar through a pedalboard then straight into the sound card. 

both of which would need modeling software and such.

if i plug a mono cable into the sound card, will sound only come out of one channel, or will it be mixed into both?

6 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Looking for guidance on how to record some guitar with my nu audio card. 2019/12/14 18:52:11 (permalink)
    Mono will be recorded to both stereo channels.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

streetglide420
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 246
    Re: Looking for guidance on how to record some guitar with my nu audio card. 2019/12/15 05:00:11 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Mono will be recorded to both stereo channels.

Thanks for the reply
    AnunnakiVimana
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: Looking for guidance on how to record some guitar with my nu audio card. 2019/12/18 16:26:20 (permalink)
    Never tried this before, but I would recommend an extra (USB) audio interface with special Hi-Z instrument inputs for this purpose.
    There are plenty different models available - check out the most popular ones from Behringer, Focusrite, Native Instruments and Steinberg.
    They will also easily integrate into the DAW of your choice.

Asus Dark Hero | AMD Ryzen 5900X
    XFX RX 6900 XT 319 BLACK| EVGA Nu Audio 5.1
    64GB GSkill TZ 3200 CL14 | Windows 10 Pro H21H2
    usa423
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 180
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Looking for guidance on how to record some guitar with my nu audio card. 2020/01/01 20:13:44 (permalink)
    I recommend you use a small mixer (like Behringer Xenyx 802) and go from its RCA jack outs into to the 3.5 mm (1/8 inch) line in of the NU Audio. This gives you a nice place to mess with signals before sending to the sound card.

What you are saying should work. As the pedals and the line out will be at preamp level. And you probably already know this but just in case you don't, never ever try to plug the speaker output of an amp directly to a recording interface. Always look for a line out or a pre-amp out.  If that is a Marshall head or maybe even a combo look to see if it has an FX loop. If so you can go from the FX send to the NU Audio (with your adapter 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch) and that should work as that is a pre-amp out before it goes to the power amp stage of the amplifier.

However, I imagine this all will defeat the purpose you are probably looking for to run the guitar direct and use all the "stuff" that is out there (and there is some great free stuff for gtr btw) in the form of VST plugins and impulse responses. In that case if you have a distortion pedal then just use that as your preamp.
    fogle622
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Looking for guidance on how to record some guitar with my nu audio card. 2020/01/11 19:20:47 (permalink)
    As others indicated, your guitar will not sound good when connected to the line in jack.  The guitar pickup(s) need a high impedance connection.  For instance most guitar amplifiers have an impedance of about 1 meg ohms.  But any impedance of 1,000 ohms or higher is considered high impedance or hi-z for short.

Audio interfaces usually have one or more Hi-Z connections for connecting an electric guitar or bass.

Jim Fogle
    fogle622-at-yahoo-dot-com
    Music Production Hobbyist
    mr_scary
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 426
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Looking for guidance on how to record some guitar with my nu audio card. 2020/02/11 15:08:08 (permalink)
    I would't plug an amp into the soundcard unless it has a "LINE-OUT" signal. 
    You may be able to use the "Return" loop from the "SEND/RETURN" 
    I've even had success with a "HEADPHONE OUT" but be cautious it's still not a "Line OUT" signal. 

Also to note I have not used the Nu Audio, I'm still using a Saffire Pro at this point. 
    but it should be the same scenario. as I've used several sound cards over a period of 22 years with PC recording. 35 years total recording.

Personally I use the Line out from a signal processor into a small mixer, then into my sound card line in. 
    And record with Cubase, Ableton, Cakewalk, etc... 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile