Doing Something about that little 40mm fan on my FTW K

Author
solarbirdy
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/11/27 00:23:16 (permalink)
Okay, so a slightly less n00b question. ^_^

My FTW K has a 40mm fan on the VRM heat sink, as they all do. But it's the loudest thing in my case literally all the time so far. It's not broken loud, don't get me wrong, it's what I'd expect from a 40mm fan, and I'm going to improve it with curve adjustments. But no matter how you tune it, fans that small don't come in "quiet," much less "silent," and as my case is built for maximum airflows so there is zero sound dampening, I hear all of it.

What I'd like to do is improve it! I'd like to build a directed duct from a much larger (and therefore both quieter and higher airflow) fan, and direct that duct to the heat sink. I have some conveniently close mounting points for a 120mm fan - well, for two, really - on top of the case, and I could get one or another ultraquiet fan, and hook it up there. The distance to cover would be very short. This would also be an LED opportunity, as I saved a lot of money in building this thing by not going that way, but that doesn't mean I don't want to prettify my case a bit. ^_^

To me, this sounds like a simple mod, reasonably easily accomplished. But this fan did come with the motherboard, and I really don't want to screw up the board.

So I'm looking for advice. Are there downsides here that I am missing? I doubt there is a water cooling solution specifically for the VRM, but if there is, I will be amused to hear about it and possibly interested, though that would take a little longer to do. 

(Attached: CHONKYBOI, a.k.a. Chonki, a.k.a Chonk, the gaem compy in question. Attach points are visible on the case top.)

Attached Image(s)

EVGA X299 FTW K with 7280X | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 | Gigabyte RTX Gaming Windforce 2070 Super OC 3X 8G | Mastercase MC500 | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR 3200Mhz | Corsair RM750x | Windows 10 64-bit | unrepentant console plebe doubletiming everyone | not new to building PCs (lol) but very new to OC

5 Replies Related Threads

startekselva
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 300
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Doing Something about that little 40mm fan on my FTW K 2019/11/27 07:20:12 (permalink)
    the 40mm fan speed can be controlled through bios since all x299 VRM needs some serious cooling and EVGA is the only brand to offer some serious Vrm design if you want details please google Buildziod and steve did some serious test and EVGA mentor Kingpin and Tin many brands from asus,gigabtye,msi,asrock updated their x299 platform for upcoming core-i9 10 series evga dont upgrade or update since their VRM and whole Board is top of the line and future proof only Bios update is enough

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31031
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: Doing Something about that little 40mm fan on my FTW K 2019/11/27 07:24:35 (permalink)
    Keep the Stock parts handy ... if there is Ever a RMA claim in the future .. you Must put it back to stock

Enjoy your "experiment"  --> Mods Rigs would be a great place to post some pictures or the build log of your adventure

Check this Thread --> https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3008780

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

solarbirdy
    • Total Posts : 13
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Doing Something about that little 40mm fan on my FTW K 2019/11/30 18:21:17 (permalink)

@startekselva: I don't contest evga's handling of the heat issue in any way, please don't misunderstand me on that. But they're limited to solutions that do not make assumptions about the case into which the motherboard will be installed. They can't do things like include a large separate fan that requires a conveniently close mounting point, for example. Whatever solution they take must be part of the board, and given that codicil, their solution is good!

But I don't have that restriction. I have a big case and a bunch of fan mounts and can do whatever dumbassery I might want. (⌒▽⌒) So I will look up Buildziod and see what they have to say. Thanks!

@cool gtx: aw yeah that's what I'm talking about. I'm still going to start with some sort of air solution because I'm new at this, but that's definitely nice. Thanks for the suggestions! (^_^)b

EVGA X299 FTW K with 7280X | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 | Gigabyte RTX Gaming Windforce 2070 Super OC 3X 8G | Mastercase MC500 | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR 3200Mhz | Corsair RM750x | Windows 10 64-bit | unrepentant console plebe doubletiming everyone | not new to building PCs (lol) but very new to OC
    startekselva
    iCX Member
    Re: Doing Something about that little 40mm fan on my FTW K 2019/11/30 18:29:09 (permalink)

startekselva
    iCX Member
    Re: Doing Something about that little 40mm fan on my FTW K 2019/11/30 18:34:02 (permalink)
    i do own Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX and as far from my experience this is my first evga product i own after that i bought all evga stuff look at my build log their design is far better than asus and Gigabyte and its future proof

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile