EVGA

ERP option in BIOS X299 Dark

Author
Chris_1234
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/04/14 19:22:11 (permalink)
Hi, I hope somebody tell me here what exactly does ERP option in Power management BIOS? I have EVGA X299 Dark motherboard and only if ERP is on I can shut off PC correctly. With ERP off my fans and some LED of my case are on after PC shut off. Fans turning slowly. I wonder if this can be faulty power supply (I have Corsair AX1200i) or I did something wrong with connecting. How can I trouble shut it? I also having problem to boot, but after trying a few times PC boots. My motherboard is already replaced, because I it looks like I had bad one. I will appreciate any advises. Thanks.
Thanks everybody for warning, my two motherboards come with bad battery.

5 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: ERP option in BIOS X299 Dark 2019/04/14 20:03:44 (permalink)
    It is an EU thing to save energy when your computer is turned off simple answer.
    I turns off power to even the USB ports.
    Google
    ErP Support determines whether to let the system consume less than 1W of power in S5 (shutdown) state.
    When the setting is enabled, the following four functions will become unavailable: PME Event Wake Up, Power On By Mouse, Power On By Keyboard, and Wake On LAN

What is ErP EuP ready power supply?
    ErP/EuP, stands for Energy Using Product, was a provision regulated by European Union to define the power consumption for the completed system. ...
    To meet ErP/EuP standard, the ErP/EuP ready motherboard and the ErP/EuP ready power supply are required

What is EuP mode?
    EuP Mode. Energy-using Products (EuP) is a directive designed to improve energy efficiency of electrical devices, reduce use of hazardous substances, and improve environment-friendliness of the product.

I do not enabled it on any of my computers.
    Most newer Motherboards have this settings now. 
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/04/14 20:09:46

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Chris_1234
    Re: ERP option in BIOS X299 Dark 2019/04/14 21:13:32 (permalink)
    So if I understand you correctly bcavnaugh I just found work around my problem. PC should turn everything off without ErP. I will recheck my connections and later get some other power supply to check if without ErP option my PC turn off and fans too. I am pretty sure that 24 ATX is ok, video card too, but not sure about CPU power. My processor is i99900X and it need a lot of power, so I connected two 8-pins EPS connectors from power supply GPU port. Some power supply showing clearly where to connect CPU, not mine.
    GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: ERP option in BIOS X299 Dark 2019/04/15 11:25:48 (permalink)
    The ERP setting just makes it so the board completely powers down, acts like the power switch on the PSU has been flipped. I actually use it as it would leave the lights on my keyboard turned on when the system is off. With ERP enabled all connected USB devices get powered down. Only Oddity with that setting is that on the first push of the Power button the board powers up, once the LEDs on the board are on you have to push a second time to boot.

Looking at the picture of you PSU Corsair used the same plug and pin out for PCIe/VGA and EPS connectors on the PSU end. You just cannot use an EPS cable in an PCIe port on the motherboard or GPU as that end is pinned different, and the revers as well (no PCIe/VGA in the EPS socket)

Attached Image(s)

Chris_1234
    Re: ERP option in BIOS X299 Dark 2019/04/15 18:26:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for this info. My PC also has problem too boot sometimes ON button need to be pressed for 2 -3 seconds, I was worry that something is wrong. Now I see that ERP option is very drastic. My power supply will be replaced, just in case fans not shooting off because faulty power supply. I found so much useful information here, that will ask how to connect front panel header. My case NZXT 820 has two pairs of HDD LED cables and X299 Dark has DH LED and PWR LED connection. Should I use adapter-splitter or connect one of each to those? 
    GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: ERP option in BIOS X299 Dark 2019/04/15 23:22:51 (permalink)
    Look at Page 50 of the Manual / PDF - gives a layout (image below) - This board only has pins for 2 FP LED's - any other FP LEDs you just leave disconnected
    This is from page 23 and refers to Item #26 of the image on page 14

26. Front Panel Connectors
    The Front panel connectors are the four main chassis connections. These include the Power Switch, Power LED, Reset Switch, and HDD LED. The Power and Reset switches are both designed to use “Momentary Switches,” rather than “Latching Switches,” which means the connection between the two posts needs to be made just briefly for it to work, as opposed to being held in place. This is why the Power and Reset switches can be triggered with a screw driver by simultaneously touching the + and - posts.
    Power LED will power on with the system, indicating the system is on and can blink with CPU activity.
    HDD LED will blink during access to the SATA ports; this is not activated for M.2 SSDs.

As you can see - M.2 drive activity does not activate the HD LED, only SATA drives do

Attached Image(s)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile