EVGA

I can't get this card to record 32 bit 384 khz audio, and I've been trying all night...

Author
usa423
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 180
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2019/01/30 14:01:31 (permalink)
Neither Cakewalk by Bandlab or Reaper. I tried every thing that I could and nothing. A few times I got Cakewalk to let me hear an input signal and watch the signal meter lights jump, but when it would record it just didn't take anything down. This should not be happening, not for a 200 dollar sound card. This thing should at least have had decent ASIO drivers out the gate and apparently it does not.

I finally got some 44khz recording to work (at horrible latency) but that defeats the whole purpose of this card to me. I followed the driver thread and reinstalled it perfectly and got no errors but still had the same problems. The 32 bit 384K playback does work decent for file / internet audio, but only a few games for me were able to let me actually have 32 bit 384 khz. I do think this card is gonna get much better drivers down the road and especially a much needed latency buffer control in the software, but that is neither here nor there. This card simply can't do for me at this time what it was advertised to do.

I'm not here to nitpick designs and features and this and that. I think EVGA has a promising opportunity with this card in the future. But at even 200 bucks, I think its maybe a bit too steep for this day and age for an internal sound card.

post edited by usa423 - 2019/01/31 05:43:13

7 Replies Related Threads

jeffswitzer
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 126
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: I can't get this card to record 32 bit 384 khz audio, and I've been trying all night.. 2019/01/31 11:29:04 (permalink)
    Are you trying to record via line in or mic? Reason I ask is that the mic adc only supports 192/24 according to the specs. I have a bitwig demo and will try recording my bass via line in tonight @32/384 and let you know it goes.
    jeffswitzer
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 126
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: I can't get this card to record 32 bit 384 khz audio, and I've been trying all night.. 2019/01/31 16:47:52 (permalink)
    So I can set nu settings to 38/384000 and record my base into fl studio or bitwig just fine. However in the settings of both daws, it only goes up to 192 under ASIO nu drivers.

usa423
    Superclocked Member
    Re: I can't get this card to record 32 bit 384 khz audio, and I've been trying all night.. 2019/01/31 17:31:15 (permalink)
    jeffswitzer
    Are you trying to record via line in or mic? Reason I ask is that the mic adc only supports 192/24 according to the specs. I have a bitwig demo and will try recording my bass via line in tonight @32/384 and let you know it goes.

Yes I'm aware of that. For testing purposes I used a small Behringer mixer with an RCA to 3.5 mm cable going straight to the line in on the Nu-Audio. I had a guitar plugged into the mixer and had just a bit of gain so it served as a preamp to send a line level signal. I tried recording in both Reaper and Cakewalk Sonar. I spent more time in Cakewalk as I'm more familiar with it. Cakewalk has offered the ability to set sample rates up to 384k for over 10 years, but there is not many cards that go that high. But there obviously has to be some out there else I see no reason to offer that ability if it can never be used.

Cakewalk offers you several choices when selecting drivers, WDM, MME, WASAPI, WASAPI SHARED, and of course ASIO. I ASSUMED this card was ASIO but I could not get it to record. I'm not sure what this card should be used as when recording, ASIO or WDM? I tried all the modes and none of them worked. Some had varying results of recording loud static and such. And all had a very disappointing amount of latency.

I finally did manage to record some audio at 44khz, but that totally makes no sense if the software is willing and waiting and the card can actually record 32 bit 384 khz audio. And I did confirm the mixer and the cable were working.

I think at this point I want to return the card to EVGA during the allowed 14 day return window on the grounds of for me personally the card will not record at 32 bit 384khz like advertised, nor can I get most games to work with 32 bit 384 khz. The only thing that could possibly change my mind is if miraculously new drivers are released over the weekend. Which I highly doubt :(

usa423
    Superclocked Member
    Re: I can't get this card to record 32 bit 384 khz audio, and I've been trying all night.. 2019/01/31 17:55:18 (permalink)
    jeffswitzer
    So I can set nu settings to 38/384000 and record my base into fl studio or bitwig just fine. However in the settings of both daws, it only goes up to 192 under ASIO nu drivers.

To my knowledge, FL Studio does not and has never offered 384 khz recording or playback. But it would be interesting if they changed this suddenly. Might give me a reason to learn the newest FL versions which I'm not a fan of personally.

WE paid for a 32 bit 384 khz recording sound card, why are we not getting it? Why are other users here having trouble in playback with anything over 192k? I noticed that too last night.

What surprises me is how easy Windows 10 allows you to set it to 32 bit 384khz, then why doesn't all the games and applications work? Even when Windows is setting the Nu-Audio as the default sound choice?

Either I got a defective card or the drivers just ain't good enough yet? Something to remember, 384 khz and 32 bit digital audio is still a very very rare and new thing to most I'm assuming. And this is a new SOUND card from a well established video card maker. So I imagine there will be driver issues for a bit. But I imagine the hardware is solid. And will show it in time.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: I can't get this card to record 32 bit 384 khz audio, and I've been trying all night.. 2019/02/01 05:53:05 (permalink)
    I tested 32bit/384 Hz on my Creative AE-5 sound card. Internet/youtube audio will work. Winamp will not work with that sample rate and bit depth selected in windows. I tested GTAV online, Company of Heroes and World of Warcraft. Only game i had sound in was World of Warcraft. If i select 32bit/192 Hz everything works fine. 

Like you said, 32bit & 384 khz digital audio is very rare.

usa423
    Superclocked Member
    Re: I can't get this card to record 32 bit 384 khz audio, and I've been trying all night.. 2019/02/01 08:49:58 (permalink)
    MSim
    I tested 32bit/384 Hz on my Creative AE-5 sound card. Internet/youtube audio will work. Winamp will not work with that sample rate and bit depth selected in windows. I tested GTAV online, Company of Heroes and World of Warcraft. Only game i had sound in was World of Warcraft. If i select 32bit/192 Hz everything works fine. 

Like you said, 32bit & 384 khz digital audio is very rare.

Strange, that was also my experience when I tested some games the other night. I was unable to go past 192khz sample rate, the bit rate didn't seem to matter if it was 16, 24, or 32 bit, just that sample rate was like a road block and the two sample rates after introduced the ring modulated distorted sound suggesting a buffer problem. BUT, I was able to fix Winamp, go into the Winamp preferences (control+p), and there instead of the first default driver "Nullsoft Direct Sound", I chose the 4th or bottom option "Nullsoft WaveOut".

I might do some more testing today for games and recording and see what happens.
    usa423
    Superclocked Member
    Re: I can't get this card to record 32 bit 384 khz audio, and I've been trying all night.. 2019/02/03 08:50:59 (permalink)
    I finally did get this card to record 32 bit 384 khz so the capability is definitely there meaning the card I got is not defective as far as I know which is good. It was using the free audio recording software Audacity. Unfortunately I think Audacity is really only good for simple digital audio work and not big multitrack projects. But I don't know cause I really don't know much about that program other than simply recording a single take (but its free which is always a plus, sp it cost nothing to try it).

But it would probably be pretty cool to use to record some really high quality nature sounds. For the individual and for documentation purposes a high bit rate and sample rate is to be desired I imagine.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile