EVGA

New Battlefield V Ray Tracing Benchmarks Show Nvidia Seriously Rushed RTX Series GPUs

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102323
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2018/12/08 00:42:58 (permalink)
https://www.ultragamerz.com/new-battlefield-v-ray-tracing-benchmarks-show-nvidia-seriously-rushed-rtx-series-gpus/

By fixing a few bugs and using new optimization methods, Battlefield V was able to run up to 50% better than it did before the update. Before the update, with Battlefield V running at 1080p, ultra, ray tracing on, the RTX 2080TI ran the game at an average of 58 FPS. This was obviously disappointing and it seemed like ray tracing is going to become a feature that no one is going to use but, with the new update, it seems like ray tracing will actually be useful.

Nvidia and Dice were able to get a 50% performance boost with a very simple update. This shows that Nvidia hasn’t done a lot of work with ray tracing and there are still a lot of bugs. We will probably have to wait until next-gen cards to experience actual ray tracing.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

14 Replies Related Threads

Killmur
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5311
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: New Battlefield V Ray Tracing Benchmarks Show Nvidia Seriously Rushed RTX Series GPUs 2018/12/08 01:34:59 (permalink)
    This is why I still plan to upgrade from my 980 to a 1070/1080 cause it's sad that the 2K Series is coming off as a dumpster fire for Nvidia. At this point the 2K Series doesn't seem like a viable tech to invest money in.

Bobmitch
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8329
    • Ribbons : 47
    Re: New Battlefield V Ray Tracing Benchmarks Show Nvidia Seriously Rushed RTX Series GPUs 2018/12/08 04:36:41 (permalink)
    I would be very interested in seeing how they add RTX to Shadows of the Tomb Raider (as planned).  As time goes by and Nvidia helps out the developers...I think the improvement, with even this gen of cards, should improve as they learn to code for it better. 

MSI MAG X670-E Tomahawk;  Ryzen 7 7800X3D; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 PSU; 32 GB  Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 RGB; Corsair iCue Link H150i RGB 360MM AIO; 2-Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z;  Lian Li Lancool III; EVGA Z15 Keyboard; Razer Viper 8K Mouse

Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
    Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: New Battlefield V Ray Tracing Benchmarks Show Nvidia Seriously Rushed RTX Series GPUs 2018/12/08 10:09:22 (permalink)
    The most disappointing part, in my opinion, is how little visible difference there is in side by side comparison between ray tracing and traditional lighting in BF5. The traditional lighting "tricks" are very good and more efficient.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: New Battlefield V Ray Tracing Benchmarks Show Nvidia Seriously Rushed RTX Series GPUs 2018/12/08 15:59:52 (permalink)
    Blaming Nvidia for DICE's ineptness.

This is rich. Moron web domain looking for page hits on the easiest of targets, Nvidia. 

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: New Battlefield V Ray Tracing Benchmarks Show Nvidia Seriously Rushed RTX Series GPUs 2018/12/08 18:02:30 (permalink)
    I think it more of shows DiCE rushed to support ray tracing on the RTX line before they had fully tested it. To find going into a forest area caused a large drop in frame rates seems like they didn’t really do any real in house testing and pretty much expected the players to do the testing.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: New Battlefield V Ray Tracing Benchmarks Show Nvidia Seriously Rushed RTX Series GPUs 2018/12/09 18:53:28 (permalink)
    Just an observation....the same people railing against early access games on Steam are white knighting early access RTX. We have graduated from early access games to early access video cards and early access render pipelines. #facepalm
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2018/12/09 19:16:03
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: New Battlefield V Ray Tracing Benchmarks Show Nvidia Seriously Rushed RTX Series GPUs 2018/12/10 05:46:10 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
     early access video cards and early access render pipelines. #facepalm

HA HA  , so true  - yet so sad   at the same time.

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: New Battlefield V Ray Tracing Benchmarks Show Nvidia Seriously Rushed RTX Series GPUs 2018/12/11 14:57:26 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Just an observation....the same people railing against early access games on Steam are white knighting early access RTX. We have graduated from early access games to early access video cards and early access render pipelines. #facepalm

You calling me out?

RTX is fine. Lazy developers like DICE screwing up isn't an RTX issue at all. Why are people blaming Nvidia for game developers inept these days? Is that the state of fanboying game developers with terrible histories? Sure sounds like it. 
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: New Battlefield V Ray Tracing Benchmarks Show Nvidia Seriously Rushed RTX Series GPUs 2018/12/13 01:11:31 (permalink)
    fearpoint
    Brad_Hawthorne

You calling me out?

Nope, but if the shirt fits, wear it if you like. That's all on you if you identify with my comment. You might be surprised, but random internet comments on forums are not always about you.
    Generally speaking though, how successful products work is that one needs to make something customers want that works well. RTX is a case of a feature customers did not ask for and is not working in an optimal manner. No amount of fanatic opinions rationalizing those issues will resolve that problem for Nvidia. When a company deviates from the formula for success, even someone as big as Nvidia will have problems. Shockingly, there are many new features in the RTX series that are groundbreaking and on target for meeting the goal of requested features and works well, but Nvidia in their infinite marketing wisdom did not even market those new features publicly. This is what happens when marketing narrative drives your sales and not customer interest. It becomes an 80/20 Pareto principle issue when you have to spend all your time explaining why someone would want something instead of actually just making a product people are asking for. It's just bad business practice.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2018/12/13 02:36:54
    Killmur
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5311
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: New Battlefield V Ray Tracing Benchmarks Show Nvidia Seriously Rushed RTX Series GPUs 2018/12/13 16:17:06 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    fearpoint
    Brad_Hawthorne

You calling me out?

Nope, but if the shirt fits, wear it if you like. That's all on you if you identify with my comment. You might be surprised, but random internet comments on forums are not always about you.
    Generally speaking though, how successful products work is that one needs to make something customers want that works well. RTX is a case of a feature customers did not ask for and is not working in an optimal manner. No amount of fanatic opinions rationalizing those issues will resolve that problem for Nvidia. When a company deviates from the formula for success, even someone as big as Nvidia will have problems. Shockingly, there are many new features in the RTX series that are groundbreaking and on target for meeting the goal of requested features and works well, but Nvidia in their infinite marketing wisdom did not even market those new features publicly. This is what happens when marketing narrative drives your sales and not customer interest. It becomes an 80/20 Pareto principle issue when you have to spend all your time explaining why someone would want something instead of actually just making a product people are asking for. It's just bad business practice.

Same can be said for DX11 and 12. It's sad that both are still to this day underutilized in game development and worse off are poorly implemented later on in a game's life. WoW is a recentlt perfect example of that. Prior to BfA launching Blizzard updated the game to require DX12 however it caused a massive poop storm in the community since it removed proper full screen mode and Blizzard's excuse was that it was due to several flaws in DX12.

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: New Battlefield V Ray Tracing Benchmarks Show Nvidia Seriously Rushed RTX Series GPUs 2018/12/13 20:07:07 (permalink)
    Killmur
    Brad_Hawthorne
    fearpoint
    Brad_Hawthorne

You calling me out?

Same can be said for DX11 and 12. It's sad that both are still to this day underutilized in game development and worse off are poorly implemented later on in a game's life. WoW is a recentlt perfect example of that. Prior to BfA launching Blizzard updated the game to require DX12 however it caused a massive poop storm in the community since it removed proper full screen mode and Blizzard's excuse was that it was due to several flaws in DX12.

I see some pretty atrocious things going on with game rendering in the last few years where they claim it's full screen but it's just boarder-less windowed mode. The problem with that is it messes up a bunch of hardware acceleration options for Nvidia and AMD, breaking things like SLI and Crossfire because they're rendering it through some hybrid bastardized mixture of DX12 and the desktop render pipeline that Microsoft keeps changing the back end mechanics of every 6 months now with Windows as a service paradigm with Windows 10.
    HaywireHaywood
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 860
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: New Battlefield V Ray Tracing Benchmarks Show Nvidia Seriously Rushed RTX Series GPUs 2018/12/15 16:35:20 (permalink)
    I'd like to see RT implemented on the original Zelda.  Shouldn't affect frame rates too much since it was a text adventure.

Heatware Affiliate code: QLF0RY1CK9
    Flea007
    • Total Posts : 36
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: New Battlefield V Ray Tracing Benchmarks Show Nvidia Seriously Rushed RTX Series GPUs 2018/12/23 02:42:38 (permalink)
    LACK OF RAY TRACING still in shadow of the tomb raider for RTX cards

2x 1080SC dx 12 sli
    1440P 90--120FPS
    1080P 115-135FPS
    4K Great

All games new after card came out
    12 GAMES ALL MAX SINCE 2016
    Im staying put 699x2 was great sale first out
    post edited by Flea007 - 2018/12/23 02:56:13
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: New Battlefield V Ray Tracing Benchmarks Show Nvidia Seriously Rushed RTX Series GPUs 2018/12/24 17:21:34 (permalink)
    Flea007
    LACK OF RAY TRACING still in shadow of the tomb raider for RTX cards

2x 1080SC dx 12 sli
    1440P 90--120FPS
    1080P 115-135FPS
    4K Great

All games new after card came out
    12 GAMES ALL MAX SINCE 2016
    Im staying put 699x2 was great sale first out

There is a common theme regarding these failures, multiplatform console port bombs. Sure correlation doesn't equal causation, but it is what it is.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile