EVGA

980 Ti Hybrid - onboard fan recommended curve for safe VRAM/Vreg temps?

Author
Owlvga
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/03/13 12:57:32 (permalink)
I am controlling radi fan and pump via mainboard (and the lovely tool Argus Monitor - Speedfan doesn't detect my GPU on the new mainboard) in order to remedy the card's ridiculously high noise level at low loads. Don't worry, I always made sure to give it the cooling it needs to keep temps safe; I simply lowered stuff in the idle and low-load areas. (I got temperature maximum set to 67°C in Precision X just to cover some harmless spikes (realizing 60°C GPU doesn't mean exactly 60°C coolant temperature), but for the longest time I had set it to 60°C. So yeah, obviously the only thing I have to care about here is the liquid cooling system's longevity.)
(It runs so much cooler in the new system, with three front fans blowing in and it blowing out upwards with no noteworthy resistance, compared to the small old case, blowing out the back through a small metal grid. That means I can also run it more silent.)

So the coolng is running quite silent, but now the blower fan on the card is relatively loud. It's still running on a custom curve from a time when I ran the card with somewhat noisier cooling.

So now I'm wondering how to figure out a blower fan curve that is ideally pleasantly silent while giving the VRAM and voltage regulators the cooling they need, but 1) I have no clue what temperatures to aim for and 2) the card not having temperature sensors for those PCB components makes this so much more difficult. It's odd that EVGA even allows us to set a curve for that fan if we have no frickin' clue what temperatures those things are running at. All the while originally not allowing control of the liquid cooling system that is totally about GPU temperature and thus precisely predictable. So the only hope I have is that there's some figures floating around somewhere about what minimum RPMs the fan should have at what GPU temperatures, and what temperatures the other components can be expected to run at those. Because, after all, the blower fan does signal its RPM. It's crude, but better than being totally in the blind.
My current curve has it at 50% speed at 60°C (Heaven Benchmark, dragon in view, 235W+) and the air coming out the back is not as hot as I remember from the old system, and the blower could be less noisy, because it's louder than the radiator fan.

As a side note: While my Enermax LiqTech Threadripper pump is virtually inaudible in a supersilent system even at 90% rpm and only barely audible at 100% if you put your ear at the case, the GPU pump (likely due to its compactness) is always making a faint but annoying howling noise, somewhat comparable to when central heating is running water through the radiators or the burner is active or some other whining noise also coming from outside. (Yeah, when you run supersilent, you hear those things, haha.) Currently I have the GPU pump running at idle 48% (on my old Intel system same percentages equated to much lower RPM, there I had it at 60%), because a couple percentages higher intensifies that whining noise, while a couple lower gradually starts to make the pump rattle, so I always make sure to not go lower than where it runs perfectly smooth.

And here is a photo of my new system to make things a little more personal.
(I tend to run it with the top cover lifted towards the rear. That eliminates a heat trap effect quite nicely. The other day I ran three Handbrake x265 encodes at the same time to use 100% CPU and the system was nearly as silent as during idle.)

By the way, I tried exchanging the unknown EVGA radiator fan for a Nidec Gentle Typhoon (2150 rpm PWM). Yeah, it was a little less noisy at high revs ith maybe up to 3°C lower temps, but at all revs it made a really annoying buzzing sound, so it totally disqualified itself for a silent system.
post edited by Owlvga - 2018/03/13 13:45:05

Attached Image(s)

Life artist | guide & seeker | student & teacher (a preacher with less PR and more tea) | pantheist & puntheist, pontheist & pon-3ist

3 Replies Related Threads

Mattcfriedberg
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid - onboard fan recommended curve for safe VRAM/Vreg temps? 2018/03/13 15:19:03 (permalink)
    clean setup!
    Owlvga
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid - onboard fan recommended curve for safe VRAM/Vreg temps? 2018/03/13 22:52:25 (permalink)
    Thanks!

Life artist | guide & seeker | student & teacher (a preacher with less PR and more tea) | pantheist & puntheist, pontheist & pon-3ist
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1011
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid - onboard fan recommended curve for safe VRAM/Vreg temps? 2018/03/14 15:40:28 (permalink)
    the blower fan ?   I never had to touch it   runs fine at stock  rpm's   ,   I guess you could just crank it up  till you hear it  over the rest of your system and then back it down some  ?

seems like that fan never changes speeds  unlike the rad fan that speeds up or down on the temps   then my card never got over 48c yet  hottest day in here pounding on it . [ 1031rpm cold idle  to  1065 rpm at max 48c  full load / stress testing what ever ? ]

I guess it depends on how hot your hybrid is getting   on the chip  then guess how hot the VRM's are really getting to worry over it .

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile