Trying to pick a new laptop.

Author
muthj1
  • Total Posts : 97
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/04/05 08:05:18 (permalink)
Hello everyone,

I am in the market for a new laptop.   I will mostly just be doing normal office type work/photoshop/premier pro etc on it.  But I want to be able to play some games.    I travel A LOT for work.   And by a lot I mean more flights than I can count in a month.    So portability is pretty critical.   I do however have a fairly large laptop compartment in my suitcase, and can also simply carry a laptop bag.   Weight doesn't really bother me, but overall footprint does.

Originally I was going to get the Gigabyte p35x-v7, due to its small size and power.  However after careful review, it has lowish build quality, thermal issues, and does not appear to me to hold up well to the type of travel abuse I will likely be putting it on.

So I went smaller, the GS63VR.   Nearly ordered one, then I realized it has a pentile display, which makes it not optimal for my wants.   And only the 1060 FX card.   Plus is that it has a i7-7700.  With that said, Gigabyte is releasing a refresh later this month.   GTX 1070 and I7-7700.    16gb of ram at a lower frequency than the EVGA.     

So I reset, and decided, maybe I could do something slightly larger to get a truly tank like laptop.   Go for durability above all other considerations.  Which brings me to the EVGA.    I actually ordered one last night, but then got hesitant and cancelled it.

Namely the older 6820hk processor, which seems to me to be a mixed bag.   Pros: Lower Power consumption.  Overclockable to close performance gap.   Con: Lower Performance.     If you overclock it to bring it on par with the 7700's would it have thermal issues under load?  How does that effect the battery life?   Obviously I wont be able to game for vary long on battery.   

Con: Lesser processor at a very steep premium price.   (Likely offset by build quality?)

Lastly, I have not carried a larger laptop in years.   I do have a iPad that I travel with to watch movies / read / browse internet on flights.  But I stopped carrying my surface pro about 2-3 years ago. Before that I carried a fairly large gaming laptop (I think it was 18'' screen.)  But I honestly can't remember.      

For those of you that have this one, how much of an inconvenience is it travelling with it?   And lastly, are there any other considerations pros/cons that you actual owners think that I should look into.  

Thanks in advance.

Lastly, it is very difficult to mentally judge the dimensions of a laptop.   I may just swing up to bestbuy and look for another brand that is similarly sized, to see if it will work for me.   

3 Replies Related Threads

somethingc00l
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 752
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Trying to pick a new laptop. 2017/04/06 15:30:08 (permalink)
    The CPU performance difference will be tiny. 2.7 vs 2.8 GHz and a Skylake vs Kabylake, the 7700hq will be maybe 3-4% faster. Not sure where you are seeing a power use difference, they both have the same TDP. Plus the 6280hk has 2 MB more cache. I would say those CPUs would be virtually indistinguishable to an end user.

http://ark.intel.com/products/88969/Intel-Core-i7-6820HK-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

https://ark.intel.com/products/97185/Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

The SC17 is a beast but probably one of the thinner 17" gaming laptops out there. It is not light though, almost 9 pounds.

Looking at the reviews I am not a huge fan of that MSI GS63VR. Take a look at the Razer Blade if you want something smaller than the SC17.
    itchnertamatoa
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re: Trying to pick a new laptop. 2017/04/30 23:00:02 (permalink)
    I've been running a MSI GS70 for over 2 years now (bought before SC17 came out .. ), and been wanting to upgrade to a newer ..
    same as OP .. mainly office work .. but do play quite a bit on it as well

thinking this SC17 is going to be my next ... only wish it would have a 1080 gpu rather than 1070 ...
    muthj1
    • Total Posts : 97
    Re: Trying to pick a new laptop. 2017/11/01 18:50:46 (permalink)
    I decided on a different laptop.  Basically, the Gigabyte Aero 14.   Its been pretty solid.  I am sure the build quality is no where near that of the EVGA
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile