EVGA

Helpful ReplyWhy is the main GPU of my SLI setting GPU2?

Author
deathspanker
  • Total Posts : 39
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2013/08/05 03:53:44 (permalink)
I have two 770 classified, GPU1 (TOP) is where the monitor is connected but GPU2 (BOTTOM) is the main GPU... 

In the nVidia control panel the monitor is connected to GPU(2) and on EVGA Precession X GPU is 5-10c hotter which to me makes it the main card...(both cards have a lot of spacing between them - also normal air cooled)

Also is it normal for GPU to reach 60c? I was playing metro 2033 everything on ultra... everything was set-up as a default on precession x, no OC.

So is everything normal?

By the way still waiting for my other backplate... its still shipping soon for 2 weeks now... I called regarding about it, and the guy on the phone said it would be shipped within a week as most of the backplates are being sent now (my first one took 1 month to process)
post edited by deathspanker - 2013/08/05 04:04:28

Board: MSI Z87 XPOWER
VGA:   EVGA 770 Classified in SLI
PSU:   Corsair AX1200i
CPU:   i7-4770K
MEM:  Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 4x4GB
HDD:  Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD x2
HDD:  WD Black 3TB
Cooler: Corsair H110 Water Cooler
Monitor : Dell U2713HM
coolmistry
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2502
  • Ribbons : 45
Re:Why is the main GPU of my SLI setting GPU2? 2013/08/05 04:59:43 (permalink)
Yeah it normal between two GPU card one is hotter than other!! It same to my Sli so don't worry about this!! Maybe you can get extra ultra cooler fan to keep cooler on GPU2! That GPU2 is hotter due running PhysX I sure!!

It same here I been still waiting for backplate and It will take time because there loads of member who claim free backplate that maybe long queue next person send out free backplate!!!

I don't mind wait for EVGA send the backplate and it no hurry as we did resigter before end of July!! Don't worry 

Windows 11 Home 64bits up to Dated
i9 11900K 5,275 MHz (3,500 MHz) || EVGA Z590 FTW WIFI || 2 x Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti FE || 32Gb Dominator Platinum DDR3 3600mhz XMP OC 3800mhz || 500gb Samsung 980 Pro NVMe || 500gb Samsung 970 EVO and Sata M.2 (1 x SSD and 1xHHD) || EVGA CLCx 360 Cooler || EVGA Supernova 1300w X3 || EVGA Z10 Keyboard || EVGA TORQ X10 mouse ||EVGA DG 77 case || Acer Predator  X35 35" 200Hz G-Sync || Logitech Z906 5.1 system sounds SPDIF|| Kaspersky Internet Security
deathspanker
  • Total Posts : 39
Re:Why is the main GPU of my SLI setting GPU2? 2013/08/05 05:03:27 (permalink)
coolmistry

Yeah it normal between two GPU card one is hotter than other!! It same to my Sli so don't worry about this!! Maybe you can get extra ultra cooler fan to keep cooler on GPU2! That GPU2 is hotter due running PhysX I sure!!

It same here I been still waiting for backplate and It will take time because there loads of member who claim free backplate that maybe long queue next person send out free backplate!!!

I don't mind wait for EVGA send the backplate and it no hurry as we did resigter before end of July!! Don't worry 

But why is the main GPU of my SLI set-up is GPU2? I mean GPU1 even has the monitor plugged in... but on the nVidia control panel it shows GPU2 has the monitor?

****!

Board: MSI Z87 XPOWER
VGA:   EVGA 770 Classified in SLI
PSU:   Corsair AX1200i
CPU:   i7-4770K
MEM:  Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 4x4GB
HDD:  Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD x2
HDD:  WD Black 3TB
Cooler: Corsair H110 Water Cooler
Monitor : Dell U2713HM
coolmistry
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2502
  • Ribbons : 45
Re:Why is the main GPU of my SLI setting GPU2? 2013/08/05 05:13:10 (permalink)
That strange!! I have check my NVCP saying my monitor connect to GPU1 and PhysX is on GPU 2!

I know it silly question to ask you maybe you have plug monitor to wrong GPU? 

Windows 11 Home 64bits up to Dated
i9 11900K 5,275 MHz (3,500 MHz) || EVGA Z590 FTW WIFI || 2 x Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti FE || 32Gb Dominator Platinum DDR3 3600mhz XMP OC 3800mhz || 500gb Samsung 980 Pro NVMe || 500gb Samsung 970 EVO and Sata M.2 (1 x SSD and 1xHHD) || EVGA CLCx 360 Cooler || EVGA Supernova 1300w X3 || EVGA Z10 Keyboard || EVGA TORQ X10 mouse ||EVGA DG 77 case || Acer Predator  X35 35" 200Hz G-Sync || Logitech Z906 5.1 system sounds SPDIF|| Kaspersky Internet Security
Jonathan.Focarino
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Why is the main GPU of my SLI setting GPU2? 2015/09/18 12:00:55 (permalink)
I'm having the same issue myself. I have two 980 ti's and they are showing up reversed in the nvidia control panel. I believe it's related to the motherboard. I'm using a Gigabyte Gaming GT Z97. Perhaps the PLX chip is causing the issue? I'd be curious to see if you removed any add on cards (wifi, sound card, ect.) and just have the two gpu's installed if it resets back to the correct order.
schmorblatz
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 147
  • Ribbons : 5
Re:Why is the main GPU of my SLI setting GPU2? 2015/09/20 15:35:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby XrayMan 2015/09/20 18:05:20
Jonathan.Focarino
I'm having the same issue myself. I have two 980 ti's and they are showing up reversed in the nvidia control panel. I believe it's related to the motherboard. I'm using a Gigabyte Gaming GT Z97. Perhaps the PLX chip is causing the issue? I'd be curious to see if you removed any add on cards (wifi, sound card, ect.) and just have the two gpu's installed if it resets back to the correct order. 

Same here with my Sigs. It is VERY annoying. I already posted here about this issue, but nobody cares...

Have a look to device manager. Right click the GPUs, you should get the same wrong order (Bus PCI #).

This seems to be a very common issue. Many monitoring apps do not report correctly multi GPU setups. I don't think it is mobo related, but software related.

CPUID HWMonitor gives correct results (GPU 1 is first, GPU is 2nd and so on). Have a try.

The reason is lazy use of NVAPI, or NVAPI bug.

Technical hypothesis (and workaround for coders : it worked for me) :

The enumeration function NvAPI_EnumPhysicalGPUs() fills an array with physical GPU handles, and gives the GPU count. (these handles are needed to communicate with GPUs). But the array is not sorted. Most monitoring applications consider that 1st physical GPU handle matches the 1st slot, 2nd the 2nd and so on. This is untrue (the array seems to be filled more or less randomly by the driver call). Another function has to be called to get the bus ID from the physical handle : NvAPI_GPU_GetBusId(), and the array has to be sorted according to BUS ID. (a simple bubble sort and bob's your uncle... ). Even device manager don't care about this.

I just read NVidia documentation, and I wrote my own tiny monitoring app using NVAPI so I get the correct order. (hopefully I am only interested in temps : o/c functions need the top secret "non disclosure" API).

why make it simple when it can be complicated ????

rig 1 : Asus P9X79-E WS / i7 4930k / 3-way SLI EVGA 780ti / Quadro K2000 / watercooled / 3D Vision Surround / 3 x Samsung 2233RZ + HP ZR22W
rig 2 : Asus P9X79 WS / i7 4930k / 2-way SLI 770 / aircooled / 3D Vision / Samsung 2233RZ + Samsung 2232BW + HP ZR22W
rig 3, 4 5, etc. : uninteresting !
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re:Why is the main GPU of my SLI setting GPU2? 2015/09/20 18:00:03 (permalink)
schmorblatz
Jonathan.Focarino

Same here with my Sigs. It is VERY annoying. I already posted here about this issue, but nobody cares...

Have a look to device manager. Right click the GPUs, you should get the same wrong order (Bus PCI #).

This seems to be a very common issue. Many monitoring apps do not report correctly multi GPU setups. I don't think it is mobo related, but software related.

CPUID HWMonitor gives correct results (GPU 1 is first, GPU is 2nd and so on). Have a try.

The reason is lazy use of NVAPI, or NVAPI bug.

Technical hypothesis (and workaround for coders : it worked for me) :

The enumeration function NvAPI_EnumPhysicalGPUs() fills an array with physical GPU handles, and gives the GPU count. (these handles are needed to communicate with GPUs). But the array is not sorted. Most monitoring applications consider that 1st physical GPU handle matches the 1st slot, 2nd the 2nd and so on. This is untrue (the array seems to be filled more or less randomly by the driver call). Another function has to be called to get the bus ID from the physical handle : NvAPI_GPU_GetBusId(), and the array has to be sorted according to BUS ID. (a simple bubble sort and bob's your uncle... ). Even device manager don't care about this.

I just read NVidia documentation, and I wrote my own tiny monitoring app using NVAPI so I get the correct order. (hopefully I am only interested in temps : o/c functions need the top secret "non disclosure" API).

Exactly.  +1  It's been asked a few times before and I have answered very vaguely in the past.  I was going to answer the same thing vaguely again, but there is no way I can answer better than you just did.

I think it was you who posted the same information in a Precision X thread once in the past.

Blue Ribbon requested on your behalf.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile