FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102323
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2018/04/15 01:41:16 (permalink)
https://wccftech.com/ftc-eu-commission-zero-in-on-nvidia-gpp-calls-for-investigation-complaints/

It appears there has been many complaints from consumers already about NVIDIA's GPP. The FTC and EU are investigating NVIDIA. I personally predict the EU will be much more intensive in their investigation.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

25 Replies Related Threads

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/15 02:22:25 (permalink)
    How can consumers complain about something they have not read?

The EU is nothing but a money sucking system. The EU should be dissolved.

I'm going to make my call on this, nothing will happen to nVidia over the GPP...period.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/15 03:48:30 (permalink)
    kram36

I'm going to make my call on this, nothing will happen to nVidia over the GPP...period.

If NVIDIA is breaking anti-competitive laws in North America or the EU then there will be a trial.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/15 06:39:09 (permalink)
    Intel and AMD work together on a product (causing hell to freeze over) and Nvidia tries to lock in exclusive partners. Funky times.

HP and Dell (large companies to not join GPP) have all been part of antitrust suits and this almost feels like it could be on the fence of one.

The EU is very interested in money. Remember when they ruled that android had to include other apps other than google apps on android phones... why would android ship with anything but gmail and google maps? You could just download others from the playstore.
    post edited by seth89 - 2018/04/15 06:42:52

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/15 07:25:59 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    kram36

If NVIDIA is breaking anti-competitive laws in North America or the EU then there will be a trial.

How, exactly is nVidia breaking anti-competitive laws?
    pat39576
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 203
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/15 09:34:55 (permalink)
    kram36

I expect the FTC won’t care but the EU will try to suck money out of Nvidia for this.
    rlb9682
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1049
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/15 10:19:45 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    https://wccftech.com/ftc-eu-commission-zero-in-on-nvidia-gpp-calls-for-investigation-complaints/

It appears there has been many complaints from consumers already about NVIDIA's GPP. The FTC and EU are investigating NVIDIA. I personally predict the EU will be much more intensive in their investigation.

No bet! They usually are more strict than the FTC. 

Affiliate Code: PD1HHD50JK

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/15 19:34:00 (permalink)
    i find AMD/Intel deal more anti-competitive
    ie the "your GPU on my cpu" deal - cutting out low level gpus from nvidia to tablets and netbooks/notebooks

now if AMD and intel said sure you can put your gpu(AMD/INTEl/AMD/others) on our cpu - then i wouldn't make a fuss
    but with intel not allowing any other than AMD and their own - then remove onboard PCIe lanes (which is purposed) or crimp it - or due to size the PCIe bus(MXM) and overhead take up make it less attractable for mobile
    the main point than infinity fabric or the onchip bus from intel offers a faster bus than PCU with less overhead and room - perfect for mobile

is an unfair practice and colluding with each other to squeeze out nvidia

look if intel and amd can work that - then Nvidia can to the same in the gaming sector- Intel and AMD should look at there own practices before shooting off
    or maybe they should start playing fair and say heck yeah - lets put your gpu(anyones) on our CPU - let consumers make the choices they want or disallow APU's
    or make amd/intel core licensing free so intel and AMD can't get anymore revenue from licensing or crosslicensing
    this will allow anyone in the cpu market again

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2018/04/15 19:43:44

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/15 20:57:25 (permalink)
    Xavier Zepherious
    ie the "your GPU on my cpu" deal - cutting out low level gpus from nvidia to tablets and netbooks/notebooks

now if AMD and intel said sure you can put your gpu(AMD/INTEl/AMD/others) on our cpu - then i wouldn't make a fuss
    but with intel not allowing any other than AMD and their own - then remove onboard PCIe lanes (which is purposed) or crimp it - or due to size the PCIe bus(MXM) and overhead take up make it less attractable for mobile
    the main point than infinity fabric or the onchip bus from intel offers a faster bus than PCU with less overhead and room - perfect for mobile

is an unfair practice and colluding with each other to squeeze out nvidia

look if intel and amd can work that - then Nvidia can to the same in the gaming sector- Intel and AMD should look at there own practices before shooting off
    or maybe they should start playing fair and say heck yeah - lets put your gpu(anyones) on our CPU - let consumers make the choices they want or disallow APU's
    or make amd/intel core licensing free so intel and AMD can't get anymore revenue from licensing or crosslicensing
    this will allow anyone in the cpu market again

Actually, it’s being very competitive, because both are willing to work with others while Nvidia has terminally always done everything in-house. You’d never see an Nvidia GPU on an Intel CPU die because it’s not the culture that Nvidia lives by. Nvidia is a lot like Apple. It’s their way or the highway.
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/15 22:01:22 (permalink)
    EU is an extortion organization, and they have a long history of extorting foreign companies for money, I mean "fines".

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/15 23:05:46 (permalink)
    Interesting...

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/16 09:22:19 (permalink)
    kram36
    rjohnson11
    kram36

You're not allowed under both EU and USA anti-competitive laws to have any agreements which puts competitors at a disadvantage especially if you have a monopoly position. Intel did the same thing years ago with AMD and they got caught. They had to pay over a billion Euros damage.

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/16 11:41:32 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    kram36
    rjohnson11
    kram36

You're not allowed under both EU and USA anti-competitive laws to have any agreements which puts competitors at a disadvantage especially if you have a monopoly position. Intel did the same thing years ago with AMD and they got caught. They had to pay over a billion Euros damage.

Have you read the GPP contract?
    panzlock
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1736
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/16 13:39:10 (permalink)
    Xavier Zepherious

That's not anti-competition. That's a partnership.

I'm no fan of the EU. The sooner that organization is abolished the better. I hope they don't see a dime from Nvidia or anyone else, for that matter. That would allow them to wield their sword against their own people longer. That being said, on general principal, the GPP is not a good thing for AMD, any willing GPP partner or the consumer. I'm not sure why anyone would think that when a company essentially forces their "partners" to modify their marketing to exclude a competitor is a good thing. I'd be saying this if it were Intel, Samsung, Hynix, G.Skill, AMD or Noctua pushing such an agenda.

I hope the GPP is a failure and all AIB partners are able to market their bought and improved Nvidia and AMD GPU's as they see fit. In the near future RTG better get their excrement together and develop a product that is in line with Nvidias. Although Vega wasn't a bad product per se, the performance only matched that of the 1080 and 1070 series from Nvidia with higher wattage. In the end what killed Vega for knowledgeable users was the price which was elevated by the "miners are buying all the product" swindle. "Oh, we're selling our merchandise as soon as it's developed and making a killing by moving a lot more units than anticipated, but there's not enough to sell to everyone so...lets increase the price. And by the way, it's the miners fault." Riiiiiiiight. You people need to understand what is actually happening, here.
    Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/16 21:01:47 (permalink)
    Yes it is

AMD and Intel are in a duopoly - or would you rather say monopoly since Intel controls 85% or more of CPU market
    by using the cpu to squeeze out Nvidia is anti- competitive - even if you work with AMD

one could make this argument - and force AMD and Intel deal dead

panzlock
    FTW Member
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/17 06:38:51 (permalink)
    Xavier Zepherious
    Yes it is

AMD and Intel are in a duopoly - or would you rather say monopoly since Intel controls 85% or more of CPU market
    by using the cpu to squeeze out Nvidia is anti- competitive - even if you work with AMD

No, it's not.

AMD and Intel are a duopoly in the desktop segment only. They have more competition elsewhere from the likes of Qualcomm, ARM, MediaTek, etc...

The fact that Nvidia decided to concentrate their efforts on GPU's is not Intel's nor AMD's fault. What AMD and Intel ARE doing is combining their respective technologies so they are able to compete with Nvidias GPU's by providing a cheaper option for end users. Nvidia could have done the same with either of their competitors if they wished, I'm sure. But, as it is, Intel has a significant disadvantage in GPU technology. What better way to enter this particular market than partnering with a company that has extensive knowledge in this area? And why AMD? Probably because it was a cheaper option for Intel.

Again, if it was a partnership between Intel and Nvidia, or Nvidia and AMD I wouldn't be concerned. But what we have with the GPP is essentially one company telling their EXISTING PARTNERS what they can and cannot do with the products they bought, paid for and own. Not sure why you aren't seeing the differences between the GPP and Intel/AMD partnership.
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/17 09:15:05 (permalink)
    panzlock
    Xavier Zepherious
    Yes it is

No, it's not.

AMD and Intel are a duopoly in the desktop segment only. They have more competition elsewhere from the likes of Qualcomm, ARM, MediaTek, etc...

The fact that Nvidia decided to concentrate their efforts on GPU's is not Intel's nor AMD's fault. What AMD and Intel ARE doing is combining their respective technologies so they are able to compete with Nvidias GPU's by providing a cheaper option for end users. Nvidia could have done the same with either of their competitors if they wished, I'm sure. But, as it is, Intel has a significant disadvantage in GPU technology. What better way to enter this particular market than partnering with a company that has extensive knowledge in this area? And why AMD? Probably because it was a cheaper option for Intel.

Again, if it was a partnership between Intel and Nvidia, or Nvidia and AMD I wouldn't be concerned. But what we have with the GPP is essentially one company telling their EXISTING PARTNERS what they can and cannot do with the products they bought, paid for and own. Not sure why you aren't seeing the differences between the GPP and Intel/AMD partnership.

So the word "partnership" makes everything okay. What does GPP stand for? GeForce Partnership Program.
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/17 09:30:28 (permalink)
    I'm no fan of the EU....and frankly this whole "monopoly" thing gets way over used..

If you can't compete, sucks to be you.

Are "Exclusive titles on PS4/XBox" a problem for the EU? If not..shut up. (and yes...that is a form of a 'monopoly'...I want
    some PS4 titles on my PC..but guess what...not gonna happen...)

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/17 09:45:34 (permalink)
    transdogmifier
    I'm no fan of the EU....and frankly this whole "monopoly" thing gets way over used..

If you can't compete, sucks to be you.

Are "Exclusive titles on PS4/XBox" a problem for the EU? If not..shut up. (and yes...that is a form of a 'monopoly'...I want
    some PS4 titles on my PC..but guess what...not gonna happen...)

Uh oh, don't give the EU any ideas.

The GPP is not cutting anyone out, like the Intel cpu/AMD gpu deal for laptops or PS4/Xbox game exclusive deals.
    panzlock
    FTW Member
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/17 10:09:51 (permalink)
    kram36

So the word "partnership" makes everything okay. What does GPP stand for? GeForce Partnership Program.

They are telling their partners how they will be marketing their products. Still sound like a partnership?

Caitlyn Jenner calls herself a woman. Doesn't make it so, does it?
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/17 10:45:55 (permalink)
    panzlock
    kram36

They are telling their partners how they will be marketing their products. Still sound like a partnership?

Caitlyn Jenner calls herself a woman. Doesn't make it so, does it?

Hum, I guess you do not understand what partnerships are? You agree on a contract, that creates the partnership. If you don't agree, you don't sign the contract to become partners.

Bruce Jenner is a man, you're calling him a woman by using the name Caitlyn and saying "herself". Bow down to your PC master lords.
    post edited by kram36 - 2018/04/17 10:48:18
    Bruno747
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3909
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/17 12:22:13 (permalink)
    Well regardless the outcome it would be sweet if in the process they stumbled upon some evidence of market manipulation or price fixing and suddenly gpu prices come back down the sane levels.

X399 Designare EX, Threadripper 1950x, Overkill Water 560mm dual pass radiator. Heatkiller IV Block Dual 960 EVO 500gb Raid 0 bootable, Quad Channel 64gb DDR4 @ 2933/15-16-16-31, RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra, Corsair RM850x, Tower 900
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/17 12:36:29 (permalink)
    I wonder how smart it would be to partner with AMD in the first place. Sure you can say it’s anti competition but history shows that AMD hasn’t really done that great. I would almost always look for NVIDIA over AMD for a graphics card in every generation for the past 20 years.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

panzlock
    FTW Member
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/17 13:09:41 (permalink)
    kram36
    Hum, I guess you do not understand what partnerships are? You agree on a contract, that creates the partnership. If you don't agree, you don't sign the contract to become partners.

Bruce Jenner is a man, you're calling him a woman by using the name Caitlyn and saying "herself". Bow down to your PC master lords.

Exactly. The fact that Nvidia pushed this GPP agenda and the manner in which they pushed it says a lot. BUT, companies like ASUS, MSI and whoever the .... already had a partnership with Nvidia. The GPP overrules that contract with additional stipulations which require that Nvidias existing partners re-brand certain products. Now, I'm not saying they don't have the right to do so, but I am saying it's not necessary. Nvidia wants the common gaming monikers exclusively. They will get this by giving their own partners an ultimatum.

Actually, we're both wrong. The gender, as DNA tests would conclude is undoubtedly male. However, when the transition was made Bruce has lost his man card by default. This is a riddle only Batman could solve. Unfortunately Batman is played by Ben Afleck......another female.
    Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/17 13:31:44 (permalink)
    panzlock
    Xavier Zepherious
    Yes it is

No, it's not.

PC  it is

for server/datacenter Intel still is #1

PowerPC, ARM and China's chip are small portion of market
    X86 is still 96%
    ARM is 3%
    thats 1% for anything else

And you need no GPU's here
    other than simple single low end chip to run a single Screen

unless you are making Cuda AI monster or a TPU AI monster or even use AMD crunching or Intel knights landing
    and there its fair because they are all add in boards

for mobile
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/233415/global-market-share-of-applications-processor-suppliers/

and that means apple qualcomm and mediatek
    and qualcomm is near 50% so that means near 50% adreno GPU

this is mostly phone 
    and phones didn't need serious GPU processor until lately with VR

this does not include cars or netbooks/notebooks or Game stations

one could say if Nvidia push their Arm chip with THEIR GPU more.. you might see a mobile phone from them or uses their chip
    but i think they they are more focused on putting their APU and GPU's in every car 

so for the most part Intel is a monopoly(88% intel/12% AMD) - and all x86 is a monopoly/duopoly
    and by using a APU to only put Intel and AMD (or AMD/AMD) on a chip to the exclusion of all others would be anti-competitive
    and moreover if you limited the bus(or offer a internal CPU bus that is far superior to PCie) - or external PCi lanes and/or try to put everything on the chip(no outside lanes) - to push out Nvidia entirely
    it would become apparently clear it's colluding to eliminate a competitor from a market

specially if it targeted at Mobile desktop market - laptops

we are not talking mobile phones here

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2018/04/17 13:42:57

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints 2018/04/17 21:36:57 (permalink)

AMD fires back at Nvidia over GeForce affiliate program controversy

Source

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile