EVGA

AnsweredEvga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required.

Author
Avenger411
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 632
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/04/22 12:52:27 (permalink)
Hey guys!

Straight to the point, i want to watercool my new baby "titan x" with an EK waterblock kit (pump, reservoir etc). Since i've always used AiO solutions such as H100i for cpu, i do not really know in what i'm about to step in. Could you guys shed some light of the things i have to buy, what's good, what's not etc.. ? Would you recommend another brand other than Ek ? Any info is greatly appreciated ! and if someone's done it, could you explain how you did it (beside the actual waterblock installation).

Thank you guys looking forward to this project!.

Max
CoercionShaman
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1788
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/22 13:58:51 (permalink)
People can certainly offer advice on brands and such, but you may be better served with regard to installation and such by doing a Google search.  There is a lot involved and there are many detailed guides already available from folks such as Overclockers.  It would be a considerable amount for folks to type in all the 'steps'.  There are many additional variables as well that are dependent upon your case, system configuration, and budget.  You would certainly need to supply that additional information as well.

I am actually planning on doing the same.  I can say from research that there are only a handful of manufacturers with an X block out right now.  You will have to have a pump, reservoir, gpu block, backplate (optional as none are active), a radiator, cooling fans for said radiator, tubing, non-conductive fluid and connectors.  And that is assuming you aren't going full blown and doing the cpu which will require a cpu block and most likely another radiator.

What use is knowledge if there is no understanding?~Stobaeus
shogon
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2741
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/22 16:56:41 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Avenger411 2015/04/22 19:18:35
EK has typically been the leader in terms of cooling the Voltage Regulators on GPU's.  I have used other brands: XSPC, Aquacomputer, but I've been using them (EK) for a few years now and also have my Titan X with the EK block and nickel backplate. At 1.255v I barely break 52C so far @ 1531 / 8000 MHz in extended folding / gaming periods. The EK manual will tell you everything you'll need to do as far as  installation goes. Also when taking the screws off of the Titan X (on the top of the PCB), be sure to not strip the screws and be ready in case some do not want to get out due to the loctite. My friend was over the day I installed the block on the card and he helped me grip the screws  he pressed down on the screwdriver) and we eventually got a good grip without stripping the sucker. Also be sure NOT to scratch the PCB at all, so take your time with it and you'll be good.

In regards to other watercooling parts, http://www.overclock.net/f/61/water-cooling the stickies and other posts will most likely be beneficial to you. As far as radiators go, if you only plan on cooling your GPU, a 240 radiator would do fine. As far as sites that are good for this sort of thing: http://www.performance-pcs.com/ , http://www.aquatuning.us/ , https://www.dazmode.com/store/ , http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ , http://www.xoxide.com/ , and sometimes even Amazon.

But basically you will need this: pump, radiator(s), waterblock(s), tubing (acrylic, plastic, copper/chrome pipe), fittings (that match tubing size, also barbs or compression fittings), reservoir, distilled water, and some type of biocide to prevent algae and preserve your blocks. Mayhems branded solutions have served me well over the years and they range from clear, to dark colors and even lighter ones. Also have some shop towels or anything to absorb water in case of a leak (test the PC when the loop is done for a few hours, most say 12-24 hours but for me, I usually do 4-6 or so and inspect the fittings).

Invest in a PSU jumper as well so testing the PC is easier and it also allows you to "run" the pumps without electricity pumping through your other components (so long as you don't have them plugged into the PC). The old fashioned method is using a paper clip like this : https://images.search.yah...illa&hsimp=yhs-002

I probably missed some stuff but I think I touched on most of it. Do plenty of research before committing to this and ask questions on OCN.net or here about certain brands. As far as pump brands go, I've been using Swiftech (MCP35x) and the 655 for a while and both are excellent. I think Swiftech introduced a new pump recently (MCP350x I think, may be wrong though) and as far as rads go, do with whatever appeals to you as most rads will always be 1-4 C within each other depending on fan configurations. Also as far as radiator fans go, Scythe AP-15's 120mm are still top performances as far as static pressure and noise levels. Unsure about 140mm fans, but it all depends on your case if you can have 120mm based rads, or 140mm based ones.

I will either find a way, or make one.

٩(๏̯͡๏)۶ 
CoercionShaman
FTW Member
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/22 17:11:09 (permalink)
His list was much better than mine.  I also can't post links.  But there is a great start!

Avenger411
SSC Member
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/22 19:20:49 (permalink)
shogon
EK has typically been the leader in terms of cooling the Voltage Regulators on GPU's.  I have used other brands: XSPC, Aquacomputer, but I've been using them (EK) for a few years now and also have my Titan X with the EK block and nickel backplate. At 1.255v I barely break 52C so far @ 1531 / 8000 MHz in extended folding / gaming periods. The EK manual will tell you everything you'll need to do as far as  installation goes. Also when taking the screws off of the Titan X (on the top of the PCB), be sure to not strip the screws and be ready in case some do not want to get out due to the loctite. My friend was over the day I installed the block on the card and he helped me grip the screws  he pressed down on the screwdriver) and we eventually got a good grip without stripping the sucker. Also be sure NOT to scratch the PCB at all, so take your time with it and you'll be good.

In regards to other watercooling parts, http://www.overclock.net/f/61/water-cooling the stickies and other posts will most likely be beneficial to you. As far as radiators go, if you only plan on cooling your GPU, a 240 radiator would do fine. As far as sites that are good for this sort of thing: http://www.performance-pcs.com/ , http://www.aquatuning.us/ , https://www.dazmode.com/store/ , http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ , http://www.xoxide.com/ , and sometimes even Amazon.

But basically you will need this: pump, radiator(s), waterblock(s), tubing (acrylic, plastic, copper/chrome pipe), fittings (that match tubing size, also barbs or compression fittings), reservoir, distilled water, and some type of biocide to prevent algae and preserve your blocks. Mayhems branded solutions have served me well over the years and they range from clear, to dark colors and even lighter ones. Also have some shop towels or anything to absorb water in case of a leak (test the PC when the loop is done for a few hours, most say 12-24 hours but for me, I usually do 4-6 or so and inspect the fittings).

Invest in a PSU jumper as well so testing the PC is easier and it also allows you to "run" the pumps without electricity pumping through your other components (so long as you don't have them plugged into the PC). The old fashioned method is using a paper clip like this : https://images.search.yah...illa&hsimp=yhs-002

I probably missed some stuff but I think I touched on most of it. Do plenty of research before committing to this and ask questions on OCN.net or here about certain brands. As far as pump brands go, I've been using Swiftech (MCP35x) and the 655 for a while and both are excellent. I think Swiftech introduced a new pump recently (MCP350x I think, may be wrong though) and as far as rads go, do with whatever appeals to you as most rads will always be 1-4 C within each other depending on fan configurations. Also as far as radiator fans go, Scythe AP-15's 120mm are still top performances as far as static pressure and noise levels. Unsure about 140mm fans, but it all depends on your case if you can have 120mm based rads, or 140mm based ones.

Hey!

This was very enlightening. I thought i would be somewhat "simple" but i think it's not the case. Since i'm new to gpu watercooling this is complicated to me. Although after reading your "links" and what you said, it helps alot. Think i'll go for an AiO, there have been talks with EVGA for an AiO for the titan x (the 980 hybrid cooler seems to fit). I'll keep an eye out for that too. Thank you very much for your time guys.

Max
CoercionShaman
FTW Member
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/22 19:27:25 (permalink)
The only reason I haven't ordered is the time involved and complexity in water cooling.  I watch for the 980 AIO to come in stock as well.  If it appears before I pull the trigger on the WC equipment, I would like to give it a shot.  And an X version would be excellent.

Best of luck, Max.

shogon
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2741
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/23 10:31:29 (permalink)
CoercionShaman
His list was much better than mine.  I also can't post links.  But there is a great start!

I've been doing this for longer than I thought I would haha. I remember when I first attempted watercooling on my X58 Classified. Was very terrifying at first but all went well and at this point I can never go back to air cooled rigs, apart from something around a 750ti as that card in my experience was incredible in terms of temperature even during folding sessions.
Avenger411

Hey!

This was very enlightening. I thought i would be somewhat "simple" but i think it's not the case. Since i'm new to gpu watercooling this is complicated to me. Although after reading your "links" and what you said, it helps alot. Think i'll go for an AiO, there have been talks with EVGA for an AiO for the titan x (the 980 hybrid cooler seems to fit). I'll keep an eye out for that too. Thank you very much for your time guys.

Max

Well, after a few years and tries it does become very simple, like anything else we do over time. The hard part is the beginning, but enough research and reading what others say (always take it with a grain of salt, and compare to what others are saying tp verify) can do a world of good. I almost watercooled my socket 775 rig years ago (2008ish) but I held back as I wasn't comfortable with it. Next year I did it with my X58 system. 

The AiO coolers are not bad, they can reach temps similar to what a full custom loop can, but be wary as they typically only cool the GPU core, not the memory chips or Voltage regulators. http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/138-kraken-g10-gpu-bracket.html

The system from NZXT works very nicely as it still has a fan cooling the Voltage regulators and using an AiO to cool the GPU core. Standard copper/aluminium heatsinks are perfect for the RAM chips on the underside.

The hybrid 980 cooler does fit on the Titan X, but maybe in due time EVGA will consider making a different shroud so that it displays it's a Titan X and not a 980, but both the NZXT and the EVGA system are very good. I think the NZXT option gives you the chance to use a 240 rad system of theirs, and not be singled out to a 120mm but that all depends on case constraints and mounting. More radiator space means more heat dissipation which may translate to lower temps of 50C or lower depending on ambients. If I lived in a cooler area my temps would be under 40C for heavy loads, but due to high ambients and pumping 1.255v ointo my Titan X it gets to around 52C with 2 240mm radiators, a ram block (unneeded really, mainly for looks), and a CPU block cooling a 4790k that I de-lidded (also a fun experience if you ask me :p). 
CoercionShaman
The only reason I haven't ordered is the time involved and complexity in water cooling.  I watch for the 980 AIO to come in stock as well.  If it appears before I pull the trigger on the WC equipment, I would like to give it a shot.  And an X version would be excellent.

Best of luck, Max.

It can be time consuming and complex, but for some of us it gives us something like a challenge or just a nice time waster. Why it took me a few hours to mount everything and then bend the 10mm copper pipe (most use acrylic or plastic tubing, I'm just weird lol) on my current system, but it's something I wanted to spend time on. Someday I would love to sleeve and make my own custom length cables for my power supply like some do, but I don't know if I have that kind of patience. 

Thing with a custom loop is it can be expensive, but that is what it is, "custom". Just like with a car, custom parts tend to be more expensive than the mainstream, same story with AiO vs. a full loop. Benefits of a AiO is if it leaks, a company like Corsair would reimburse you for the components lost, and with a custom loop it's basically on your time so be wary of possible leaks and weak points. I've had a few "sleeper" leaks that didn't show themselves until later on, days after I set up but they were in spots where it didn't effect much. 

I'm trying to tell my friend to go the AiO route as well due to cost and ease of use, but he still wants to go full custom like my PC is. Mainly on his GPU, as that is the loudest fan in his system (EVGA 970 ACX 2.0) and the biggest contributor to heat in his case. 

I will either find a way, or make one.

٩(๏̯͡๏)۶ 
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/23 10:37:46 (permalink)
While not the X the AIO on the 980 runs cooler than my 980 on an EK Full Water Block.
The EVGA AIO is an item that should not be left out of the Loop. Also less maintenance than a Custom Water Loop.
 HYBRID Water Cooler (All in One) for GTX 980 Part Number: 400-HY-H980-B1
And Match up nicely with the H110i GT / H100i GTX and the H80i GT the one I am using. Same Tubing Design.

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/04/23 10:52:01

Attached Image(s)

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

CoercionShaman
FTW Member
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/23 10:47:39 (permalink)
CoercionShaman

Best of luck, Max.

It can be time consuming and complex, but for some of us it gives us something like a challenge or just a nice time waster. Why it took me a few hours to mount everything and then bend the 10mm copper pipe (most use acrylic or plastic tubing, I'm just weird lol) on my current system, but it's something I wanted to spend time on. Someday I would love to sleeve and make my own custom length cables for my power supply like some do, but I don't know if I have that kind of patience. 

Thing with a custom loop is it can be expensive, but that is what it is, "custom". Just like with a car, custom parts tend to be more expensive than the mainstream, same story with AiO vs. a full loop. Benefits of a AiO is if it leaks, a company like Corsair would reimburse you for the components lost, and with a custom loop it's basically on your time so be wary of possible leaks and weak points. I've had a few "sleeper" leaks that didn't show themselves until later on, days after I set up but they were in spots where it didn't effect much. 

I'm trying to tell my friend to go the AiO route as well due to cost and ease of use, but he still wants to go full custom like my PC is. Mainly on his GPU, as that is the loudest fan in his system (EVGA 970 ACX 2.0) and the biggest contributor to heat in his case. 

I always enjoyed doing the water cooling.  I did my first WC on an ati X800 where a friend who worked at a machine shop fabricated the block for me (he had made one previously for himself).  It was nerve wracking and rewarding all in the same moment.  I continued with it for a few systems after and helping others with theirs.  I haven't been able to do any systems in the last several years because of job locations.  That would now mean a full investment for me in both time and money and I don't have the familiarity with the manufacturers, either.  I can still feel that itch, though.  I want to do it.  But then there are also all of the benefits you mentioned the AIO coolers.  I put in a Seidon 240 CPU AIO on my last build.  It was my first AIO and I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised.

We will see if I scratch the itch.  It will mostly depend on how long it takes the AIO from EVGA to come in stock, and whether or not my wife says enough is enough for a little while.
post edited by CoercionShaman - 2015/04/23 10:49:44

Avenger411
SSC Member
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/23 12:33:42 (permalink)
Does the 980hybrid cooler actually fits 100% on the titan x ? Has that been confirmed or just "talks" ?

Max
CoercionShaman
FTW Member
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/23 12:50:52 (permalink)
Avenger411
Does the 980hybrid cooler actually fits 100% on the titan x ? Has that been confirmed or just "talks" ?

Max

It has been confirmed by EVGA and there are pictures from a user that did it to three of them already.  Search GeForce GTX 980 HYBRID! or scroll down a bit in the posts and read through that.
post edited by CoercionShaman - 2015/04/23 12:52:56

Avenger411
SSC Member
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/23 13:39:12 (permalink)
Seen it thx. Is this installation voiding the warranty offered by evga?

Max
CoercionShaman
FTW Member
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/23 13:41:19 (permalink)
According to what I have read in other threads, no.  You would have to simply put it back to original if you had to RMA it.  You can search that as well or someone else can confirm for you.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/23 17:53:12 (permalink)
Avenger411

Max

Yes, See Post http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2320876

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/23 17:54:14 (permalink)
Avenger411
Seen it thx. Is this installation voiding the warranty offered by evga?

Max

No, as long as you keep the Stock Cooler to put back on if you ever need to RMA it back to EVGA.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/23 17:55:34 (permalink)
CoercionShaman
According to what I have read in other threads, no.  You would have to simply put it back to original if you had to RMA it.  You can search that as well or someone else can confirm for you.

Correct!

CoercionShaman
FTW Member
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/23 17:58:10 (permalink)
I will be glad when I can post links.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/23 18:05:40 (permalink)
CoercionShaman
I will be glad when I can post links.

You are up to 40 Posts and still cannot post links?

CoercionShaman
FTW Member
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/23 18:23:49 (permalink)

Lets see if it works this time.

xarot
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 104
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/23 23:50:13 (permalink)
The AIO looks very nice indeed, but I'd want one with a Titan X name on the shroud...I'm very picky with things like this :)

I had a Radeon 295X2 which had an AIO cooling, the only drawback is that it can be a real PITA to mount the radiator, fan and hoses if you already have an AIO on the CPU. Then SLI on those things will be a hose nightmare unless you have plenty of mount points in your case. :D

I've had both custom water cooling and multiple AIOs, and now as a father of a 3-month old baby boy, I just don't have the time to maintain a custom loop these days, so I'm using 360mm AIO on CPU and air cooling on GPUs. Water cooling can do wonders when overclocking and bringing the noise and temps down on both CPU and GPUs, but I think in the long run AIOs are much less troublesome. GPUs generally can benefit more from custom water cooling if done properly. Custom loop will be less a 'set and forget' solution and draining, flushing, cleaning...takes a lot of time.

So water cooling will be a completely different story and there's not usually a correct way to do it, because it's made by you. Most likely you'll do some mistakes first time or use parts you don't want to use second time. For example in my case I went full blown WC with CPU+3 GPUs and within few months I had some algae in my loop, a few poor fittings, poor bay reservoir and nickel flaked off from my GPU blocks even when I tried to do everything properly and used proper liquids. The second time I did everything better, but decided to take everything apart due to time issues. These days I can do with less overclocking and more gaming if I ever have some time after the long days at work and the baby.

One thing I have to say, if you are only going to WC one part, like one CPU or one GPU only, it will be VERY, VERY simple loop after all, as you can usually do with less parts, less maintaining. :) Water cooling will be very fun too if you have the time and funds to do it properly, if you have never water cooled you haven't really seen the whole story with this hobby. If you go for it just research carefully and if needed start with a good kit that comes with a good pump and radiator, and start from there, as you probably will want to setup things your way later on.

Core i9 7980XE, Rockit Cool nickel IHS on water
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200
PALIT RTX2080TI on EK block
Custom Water Cooling with 360+480 radiators + D5 pump
Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Corsair AX1500i
Intel 750 1.2 TB PCIe
Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB
Win 10
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/24 08:28:50 (permalink)
xarot
The AIO looks very nice indeed, but I'd want one with a Titan X name on the shroud...I'm very picky with things like this :)

I had a Radeon 295X2 which had an AIO cooling, the only drawback is that it can be a real PITA to mount the radiator, fan and hoses if you already have an AIO on the CPU. Then SLI on those things will be a hose nightmare unless you have plenty of mount points in your case. :D

I've had both custom water cooling and multiple AIOs, and now as a father of a 3-month old baby boy, I just don't have the time to maintain a custom loop these days, so I'm using 360mm AIO on CPU and air cooling on GPUs. Water cooling can do wonders when overclocking and bringing the noise and temps down on both CPU and GPUs, but I think in the long run AIOs are much less troublesome. GPUs generally can benefit more from custom water cooling if done properly. Custom loop will be less a 'set and forget' solution and draining, flushing, cleaning...takes a lot of time.

So water cooling will be a completely different story and there's not usually a correct way to do it, because it's made by you. Most likely you'll do some mistakes first time or use parts you don't want to use second time. For example in my case I went full blown WC with CPU+3 GPUs and within few months I had some algae in my loop, a few poor fittings, poor bay reservoir and nickel flaked off from my GPU blocks even when I tried to do everything properly and used proper liquids. The second time I did everything better, but decided to take everything apart due to time issues. These days I can do with less overclocking and more gaming if I ever have some time after the long days at work and the baby.

One thing I have to say, if you are only going to WC one part, like one CPU or one GPU only, it will be VERY, VERY simple loop after all, as you can usually do with less parts, less maintaining. :) Water cooling will be very fun too if you have the time and funds to do it properly, if you have never water cooled you haven't really seen the whole story with this hobby. If you go for it just research carefully and if needed start with a good kit that comes with a good pump and radiator, and start from there, as you probably will want to setup things your way later on.

I would say then to get your art paint brush out.
Or you could pay someone to create a metal label to cover the GTX 980 and then EVGA might Create one too.

Avenger411
SSC Member
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/25 07:45:29 (permalink)
Anybody has an idea how the vrms are cooled in the stock cooler ? Is it only passive + fan ? And with the 980 hybrid cooler, how are the vrms doing ? Temp wise ? This is quite important..

Max
ant4423
  • Total Posts : 30
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/26 07:44:55 (permalink)

I used the Thermaltake Pacific RL240 Water Cooling Kit and EK water block to cool my Titan X SC it's a bit on the expensive side ($300)but if you have the room it's in all in one solution and top quality water cooling.  It does also come with a CPU block but I am not using it yet. It knocked my temps down to 45C max and 26C idle with no extra blower fan noise. 
post edited by ant4423 - 2015/04/26 07:47:23

Attached Image(s)

CoercionShaman
FTW Member
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/26 07:55:29 (permalink)
That's pretty sharp, ant4423.  $300 including the EK block isn't too bad.

ant4423
  • Total Posts : 30
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/26 08:03:30 (permalink)
Thanks, $300 for the water cooling kit but I should have mentioned then about $160 for block and backplate so really $460 but still not bad for the quality and does come with a cpu block also.
CoercionShaman
FTW Member
Re: Evga Titan X Superclocked With EkWaterblock Help Required. 2015/04/26 08:16:09 (permalink)
ant4423
Thanks, $300 for the water cooling kit but I should have mentioned then about $160 for block and backplate so really $460 but still not bad for the quality and does come with a cpu block also.

I thought that sounded pretty cheap.  Figured maybe you found the kit on special somewhere.  Still, it is what it is.  I think my cart is around $425 ordering all EK parts, so roughly the same regardless.

EDIT:  $425 without the CPU block.  That wouldn't be a huge change in price except that I would also need another radiator.  You are at $460 with the CPU block for if/when you are ready to install it.
post edited by CoercionShaman - 2015/04/26 09:35:18

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile