EVGA

EVGA Motherboard support Engineering Sample CPUs?

Author
SnowAlpineBunny
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2011/11/17 06:39:42 (permalink)
I have an Intel Core i7 2600K Engineering Sample CPU, I want to buy an EVGA Z68 board but I don't know if it will be recognized by EVGA motherboards or not, some motherboard brands like ASUS have CPU microcode that only recognize retail boxed CPUs but not Engineering Sample ES CPUs.

Does EVGA P67/Z68 motherboards support the Engineering Sample CPUs?

I can't submit a tech support ticket because it says I need to register the motherboard first, I need to know if it will recognize it before I can buy it so does anyone know if EVGA supports ES CPUs? Thanks

Here is a pic of my CPU

4 Replies Related Threads

dbw09
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 572
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:EVGA Motherboard support Engineering Sample CPUs? 2011/11/17 09:49:17 (permalink)
    Try calling
    888.880.EVGA (3842)
    and ask!
    lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 8858
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re:EVGA Motherboard support Engineering Sample CPUs? 2011/11/17 09:54:57 (permalink)
    Officially, engineering samples are for internal testing purposes and not warrantied, which means it is illegal to sell or purchase them; therefore EVGA won't officially support them on their boards because it can imply promoting such activities.

You can go ahead and try it out, and if it works then great.  But if it doesn't, you're SOL.
    post edited by lehpron - 2011/11/17 09:57:34

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    davevt31
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 943
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:EVGA Motherboard support Engineering Sample CPUs? 2011/11/17 09:55:41 (permalink)
    Yep, I was going to say the same thing, just give them a call.

ZelmoQuad
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 732
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re:EVGA Motherboard support Engineering Sample CPUs? 2011/11/17 13:50:40 (permalink)
     Thought this was an interesting topic and to post this for others:
    ============================================== 

Information about Intel Engineering/Qualification Sample Processors

What are Intel Engineering Sample Processors?
    Intel® Engineering Sample Processors ("Intel ES Processors"), also known as Intel® Qualification Sample Processors, are pre-production processors loaned to Intel's Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), Original Device Manufacturers (ODMs), and Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) to be used in the product design cycle prior to product launch.
    These processors often include additional features that production processors do not include for customer pre-production evaluation and test purposes. The following conditions apply to Intel® ES Processors:
    • Intel ES Processors are the sole property of Intel
    • Intel ES Processors are Intel Confidential
    • Intel ES Processors are provided by Intel under nondisclosure and/or special loan agreement terms with restrictions on the recipient's handling and use
    • Intel ES Processors are not for sale or re-sale
    • Intel ES Processors may not have passed commercial regulatory requirements
    • ES Processors are not covered under Intel warranty and are generally not supported by Intel
    The Intel® Processor Identification Utility can also be used to help identify whether a particular processor is an Intel ES processor.
    Once you install and run Processor ID on an Intel ES Processor, the following message will appear in the text box:
    "The following Intel processor appears to be an engineering sample, not a production processor. The utility is designed to support Intel production processors only. Sample processors are not warranted by Intel and are not intended for resale."

Can I get Intel® ES Processors from Intel?
    Due to the pre-production nature of Intel® ES Processors, they are generally only loaned by Intel to Intel's Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), Original Device
    Manufacturers (ODMs), and Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) for pre-production test and evaluation work under specific contractual terms and conditions that assure the protection of Intel's assets and confidential information.
    Intel ES Processors are not made available to the general public by Intel.

How Do I Identify Intel® ES Processors?
    The easiest way to tell if you have an Intel® ES Processor is to look at the processor topside markings. If you have a 4 or 5 digit Qspec listed like the one pictured below, you have an engineering sample. A production processor will have a 5 digit sSpec, usually beginning with S, such as SLB9L on the topside markings.

If no ink or laser markings are found, the processor may be an "unmarked" Intel ES Processor. Contact Intel if you are in possession of an unmarked Intel ES Processor.
    The Intel® Processor Identification Utility can also be used to help identify whether a particular processor is an Intel ES processor.
    Once you install and run Processor ID on an Intel ES Processor, the following message will appear in the text box:
    "The following Intel processor appears to be an engineering sample, not a production processor. The utility is designed to support Intel production processors only. Sample processors are not warranted by Intel and are not intended for resale."

HAF X Nvidia-ASUS IV Formula/i7 3930K OC'd 4.7/C-M Nepton 280L/MZ-75E1T0B-AM/16G Corsair Dominator GT  2133C9/GTX1080-SLI/CM SPM2 1500W on Asus 27", 165Hz

HAF XM- ASUS Maximus-V Gene/3770K/Kuhler 920/Samsung MZ-7TE1TBW, 500GB/8G Corsair Rampage 1600 XMP/GTX690/CM V1000 1000W

Stryker -Wht - ASUS Rampage V Extreme USB 3.1/i7 5930K  OC'd to 4.4MHz/EVGA CLC 280/  16GB GSKILL 16G-F4-3200Q/GTX1080Ti-SLI/Samsung MZ-7TE1T0B, 500GB/EVGA 1200P2, G510 Keyboard & Nostromo/MadCatz MMO 7/Windows 10 Pro  64-bit
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile