EVGA

EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ Hardware/Software Compatibility Question

Author
Coldstone51
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/03/15 00:21:24 (permalink)
Hey all, I have a question I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to, but here goes anyways...
So a month or two ago I purchased a "EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+" 512Mb PCI-E graphics card from a private seller who had just upgraded theirs. I had previously seen it working perfectly fine on their tower 2 weeks before I bought it so I didn't mind buying it from them used. I got it home and installed it on my system. Drivers went on properly and everything else, it displays my desktop and everything fine until I try to run any games. ALL games and apps that rely on the GPU to run crash immediately, so I checked my Device Manager, to discover that my PC tells me it failed to start properly so Windows refuses to use any of the features I bought it for. When I asked the seller if it had died and been the cause of their upgrade I was given the answer that because I am running Windows 7 x64 it is not compatible with my system and if I wanted it to run properly and not have any issues I have to upgrade my system to Windows 10. Now, not having ever heard of anything like this before, I decided to do a little research to see what I could find out. So far, I have found NO EVIDENCE that this is the case, but because I like to be sure about my facts I am asking it here now. So long story short:

Is this specific Graphics card only compatible with Windows 10 and not Windows 7?

As I said I'm pretty sure i know the answer but would just like to be 100% sure before making an issue out of this with the seller. Any help would be awesome. I hope to hear back from someone about this soon.

7 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ Hardware/Software Compatibility Question 2017/03/15 01:02:55 (permalink)
    Lies. The card will work with either OS.
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ Hardware/Software Compatibility Question 2017/03/15 01:10:36 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums..The card is definately compatible with your OS and drivers are available up to Win10..I ran an EVGA 9800 GTX on Win7 for a while, and Win10 too.

You should list your system hardware (mobo, PSU, etc.), But it sounds like the card has failed..It likely was failed when you bought it..You can check if there's any EVGA warranty on it by going to the EVGA home page, then Support, then Guest RMA..You may need to register the card first.

If it's possible, try the card in another PC, or take it to a PC repair shop for testing.

If all else fails, you can disassemble and bake the PCB (as I have done, more than a few times) and hope for the best, as solder cracking was not uncommon during the GeForce 9 Series era and caused problems like you describe..This can be discussed/explained later if neccessary.

Covering a lot of bases here..Post back again.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Coldstone51
    Re: EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ Hardware/Software Compatibility Question 2017/03/15 01:46:06 (permalink)
    Thx, Thats exactly what I thought. After posting my question I have been scouring the pcb with a 10x jewellers glass and I'm pretty sure I have found the issue. I would post a picture but I cant find any images of the graphics card, or at least the right goddamn side of it. The PCB for the graphics card is missing a resistor labelled "C684" which appears to be one of 4 larger square resistors underneath where the GPU is mounted. Not very obvious, but clearly missing.

Definitely going to be complaining about this to the seller since I now have the answers I needed and can show them exactly where the missing resistor is, but I'm pretty sure I'm just going to be told that I caused the damage to it just to make them look bad. Now I'm wondering if I can just match a resistor from an old video card to this one and have it replace the missing one. or whether it would just be cheaper to find another video card for cheap to just replace it with.

Thx everyone for such quick replies, and hopefully someone can help me figure out this new problem.
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ Hardware/Software Compatibility Question 2017/03/15 02:25:08 (permalink)
    There's a PCB back side pic here (BFG should be the same) if it helps..If you can save the picture, then open with Paint (or whatever), and circle the location and post it I can look on my 9800 GTX and see if it has it, but I don't see any C684 around the GPU right off..I don't see why you couldn't snag one from another old card and use it as long as the same value as what's needed, never tried it, dunno.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ Hardware/Software Compatibility Question 2017/03/15 11:42:51 (permalink)
    Yes, def obvious lies. Guess the guy didn't think about when that card was released before he ran his mouth, lol. Windows 7 was the top O/S at the time of that release and you can remind him of that and how full of ....pie he is. :) As for the cards issues, fully remove the current driver and reinstall a older driver closer to that era or a little later and see if it works better. Just install the gdriver and the PhysX driver and that's it, none of the other junk NVidia trys to put in there.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    somethingc00l
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 752
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ Hardware/Software Compatibility Question 2017/03/15 12:16:39 (permalink)
    That's thing can't be worth much more than $20, I wouldn't bother repairing it.
    Coldstone51
    Re: EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ Hardware/Software Compatibility Question 2017/03/15 18:23:36 (permalink)
    Yeah I've come across that pic before its not the same as the one I have but it looks like it  would be almost exactly where C701 is located but its slightly different its about 4x bigger than the ones shown and is more of a khaki color than a dark grey like the others around it.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile