EVGA GTX980ti Black ops cold war crash

Author
JAGlover
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/03/09 15:12:19 (permalink)
Hi All,

Looking for some help on an issue that I am having while playing Black ops cold war. The game crashes about 1/2 hour into playing zombies, outbreak. It happens sometimes while playing multiplayer but that is very few and far between.  I get an error code 887A0005.
I've submitted to activation but I haven't heard back from them yet. I am wondering if I am having a hardware/GPU issue. See the attached pic. 
Is there a program that I can use to check my GPU and eliminate it from the problem? Any help is appreciated.
FYI - this GPU is new to me. It was recently purchased from a friend that upgraded to a 30 something. He informed me that it gave him no issues playing any games. He doesn't play cold war so I cannot rule the card out. Also I have never had problems playing any other games as of yet so that does point me to Cold war being the problem. All drivers are current and I am running updated Win 10

The rest of the system is as follows
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
i7-4790
16Gb DDR3 2133
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus NVME M2
also a few other SSD's that shouldn't matter

Attached Image(s)

4 Replies Related Threads

xenkw0n
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re: EVGA GTX980ti Black ops cold war crash 2021/03/09 19:08:18 (permalink)
    I would try running DDU to remove any older drivers / configurations for previously installed cards just to rule that out.  Then install the latest drivers.

Usually have to run DDU in Safe Mode and can do that by holding SHIFT while restarting the PC and going to advanced repair options/boot options.
    JAGlover
    Re: EVGA GTX980ti Black ops cold war crash 2021/03/12 13:28:39 (permalink)
    Hi xenkw0n,

Thanks for the info. I gave that a try and I thought I was good to go. I made it about 1.5 hours into a playing outbreak with a few friends. All was good until it crashed. 
    So it seems it did help slightly, just not completely. Never been able to play that part of the game that long before. Same error as always. 
    Any other ideas? 

JAGlover
    Re: EVGA GTX980ti Black ops cold war crash 2021/03/14 20:25:30 (permalink)
    Turns out it is my GPU that is the problem. Tried 3dmark, could get through 1 minute of it and it would crash, very similar to play COD BOCW. 
    Installed my son's GPU for troubleshooting and it worked like a champ. Anyone have an idea if EVGA will repair my 980 ti? 
    If so, is there a flat rate repair cost? Or some type of cost chart. Wondering if it would be worth repairing or throwing away. 

Thanks
    xenkw0n
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re: EVGA GTX980ti Black ops cold war crash 2021/03/15 22:38:21 (permalink)
    Have you ever cleaned the PC it's in or the GPU itself?  This sounds like it could just be from an overheating issue causing some instability.  Depends on the warranty of the card.  If you bought it brand new most likely EVGA's warranty has already expired...  

If you clean the card and the issue is still occurring then you could try dialing back the overclock just a bit to get stability and extend the use of the card until inventory and pricing comes back to reality.  (compressed air is something anyone can do and can seriously improve temperatures if your computer is really dirty)
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile