Helpful ReplyEVGA GTX 980 Ti SC R33 Inductor / Card dead

Author
Phix.uk
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/08/27 07:01:59 (permalink)
Hi there ,
As the title says ive had this happen to my gpu yesterday out of no where a spark and smoke with general panic from me turning the pc off ASAP ,
Upon taking out the card i also noticed it had damaged my motherboard  as you can see in the picture its burnt the casing , 
I call EVGA this morning first thing they say is no warrenty which for such a hardware failiure under uk law seems strange so they asked me to take pictures and report the issue  here is also a picture of the blown r33 caps , 
Extremely disheartned so far as to how dismissive they were on the phone before even hearing the issue , 
Posting here for advice etc 

Cheers 

Phix
post edited by Phix.uk - 2018/08/27 07:27:33

Attached Image(s)

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC R33 Inductor / Card dead 2018/08/27 07:37:34 (permalink)
What was the purchase date of your hardware?

I do not know UK laws when it comes to electronics, so hopefully someone from EVGA or someone well versed in UK Consumer laws can help you out.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31032
  • Ribbons : 123
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC R33 Inductor / Card dead 2018/08/27 07:38:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Phix.uk 2018/08/27 07:42:25
Loosing an expensive part of a PC is usually very sudden.

since you asked for Advice:

Keep all parts, till you have exhausted your request or found common ground on a resolution

The Mfg of any component would need to understand root cause & will of course follow their published Warranty Terms

Was the Inductor the "cause" or the "outward symptom" --- that is the question

Its complicated to find root cause:  MB, Settings, PSU, GPU & other components may have played a roll in this.

It reminds me of the 5960X CPUs Killed in Asus MB a few years ago.  The long investigation ended up as a combination of issues, mostly the PSU as I recall, along with some BIOS settings / programing on Asus's part

Keep us posted

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Phix.uk
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC R33 Inductor / Card dead 2018/08/27 07:41:18 (permalink)
It was an RMA replacement of a 780ti dual classified that upped and died last year , 

Is the main thing that sticks out , i would never have thought to look but after the way the support guys dismissed me , i have sent the info in so have to see if EVGA stand by there reputation all i can really do for now 
Phix.uk
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC R33 Inductor / Card dead 2018/08/27 07:43:13 (permalink)
Cool GTX
Loosing an expensive part of a PC is usually very sudden.

since you asked for Advice:

Keep all parts, till you have exhausted your request or found common ground on a resolution

The Mfg of any component would need to understand root cause & will of course follow their published Warranty Terms

Was the Inductor the "cause" or the "outward symptom" --- that is the question

Its complicated to find root cause:  MB, Settings, PSU, GPU & other components may have played a roll in this.

It reminds me of the 5960X CPUs Killed in Asus MB a few years ago.  The long investigation ended up as a combination of issues, mostly the PSU as I recall, along with some BIOS settings / programing on Asus's part

Keep us posted

Aye thats what im intending to do as shouting will not help anyone in this instance it happens but in such a way ive never had in 30 years of gaming ><
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21176
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC R33 Inductor / Card dead 2018/08/27 09:29:56 (permalink)
This has become a very common issue on these 900 series cards lately. A component life limit has obviously been reached among many users. That is probably why EVGA was so dismissive; since they are becoming so used to this reported failure and since EVGA has no requirement to do anything about it once the warranty has expired. Good luck!

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Phix.uk
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC R33 Inductor / Card dead 2018/08/27 09:34:20 (permalink)
Crazy thing is 2 years i've had it so what the caps have a 2 year shelf life ? i have never had anything of the sort happen .
I am crossing my fingers that EVGA can help me with this before i consider other avenues 
Dave3d
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 720
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC R33 Inductor / Card dead 2018/08/27 13:57:16 (permalink)
EVGA isnt what it used to be, both in the testing of their rma's sent to users, nor in their new cards components (they are 'cheaping out' with cruddy components now).
Couple that with inferior cooling, and a drop down to 3 year warranty, and you can see whats happening.
Look elsewhere for a new card.
And, watch a LOT of reviews, and see what cards have the lowest temps, the best components, and have longer lasting Boost (shows both components and cooling are better the longer the card can stay in boost mode).
Evga has been severly lacking in thos e areas since the 900 series.
Check MSI, and Zotac (yeah, they used to be cruddy company, but better than evga now), or PNY (who have always been ok just never really overclockable, but stability galore). Even try Asus, if they have a very specific card that is doing well (lots of them dont do well, its all name brand like evga).
Or, even evga IF they have very good reviews of all of the above in just 1 of their card lines.
But, dont just take for granted that any company makes stellar products now.
Heck, ATI seems to be better than Nvidia for the last couple years, as far as stability and longevity.

I7 9700k water cooled-32GB Ram-Zotac 2080 x2 SLI-Asrock Z390 SLI mobo-EVGA 1600W G2 psu-ABS Glass case-2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor-Windows 10 Home
Phix.uk
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC R33 Inductor / Card dead 2018/08/29 06:30:39 (permalink)
Quick update for visibility Ant from EVGA has been dealing with me thus far no acceptence of fault and looking like no replacement which i can chase through uk trade law if i have to  
Dr.Death
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1011
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC R33 Inductor / Card dead 2018/08/29 07:44:53 (permalink)
sadly  looks like another in a long list here bites the dust in this way  .

I do see now everytime I fire up my 900 card I got to knock on wood  and say thanks it seems each time it does with out issue
Phix.uk
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC R33 Inductor / Card dead 2018/08/29 07:53:18 (permalink)
That is essentially what they are looking at trying to do as they have got Markus involved whos senior it or some such , 
 I can chase this via uk trading standards as here we have 6 years by law to claim on a faulty product , will keep updated 
Phix.uk
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC R33 Inductor / Card dead 2018/08/30 03:38:31 (permalink)
So i am now bounced to yet another EVGA EU customer support in the yet same email chain like they are passing the buck ,
 There is a known issue with these cards as stated on these very forums , Yet the famous evga support guys just want to bounce people around , 
A component of any kind nearly causing a fire is always a serious concern 
Wolfpack Hybrid
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC R33 Inductor / Card dead 2018/08/30 05:58:08 (permalink)
Three weeks ago my EVGA 980ti Hybrid burned out the same way yours did. I just recently shipped it back. Lucky me I had 5 months warranty left. EVGA makes garbage video cards not worth my money. I made a long post in here. They use cheap components in their card which is why they had such massive problems with their 1000 series. Stay clear of their products. This was my first and last EVGA product.

Good luck with your fight. Good to see another customer fighting EVGA instead of rolling over and doing what the EVGA supporters on here suggest "just buy another card". Closing our wallets will force EVGA to stop cost cutting and making lemons so hopefully in the future others won't have to go through this.
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102427
  • Ribbons : 85
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC R33 Inductor / Card dead 2018/08/30 06:09:32 (permalink)
Wolfpack Hybrid
Three weeks ago my EVGA 980ti Hybrid burned out the same way yours did. I just recently shipped it back. Lucky me I had 5 months warranty left. EVGA makes garbage video cards not worth my money. I made a long post in here. They use cheap components in their card which is why they had such massive problems with their 1000 series. Stay clear of their products. This was my first and last EVGA product.

Good luck with your fight. Good to see another customer fighting EVGA instead of rolling over and doing what the EVGA supporters on here suggest "just buy another card". Closing our wallets will force EVGA to stop cost cutting and making lemons so hopefully in the future others won't have to go through this.

Sadly this claim isn't true and there has been NO massive problems with EVGA 1000 series cards. EVGA not only uses good components but they source the best components possible. 

You may have rights under UK law (fit for purpose) but I don't know about that. Check with the applicable UK agency that can help you. 

Here maybe?: https://www.which.co.uk/t...-goods-complaint-tool/
post edited by rjohnson11 - 2018/08/30 06:12:19

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Dr.Death
FTW Member
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC R33 Inductor / Card dead 2018/08/30 06:24:57 (permalink)
you know when the 900 series first came out , and things as this was said  may of been the clue on what you were really getting into  with them

If you've already worked your way though our GTX 980 review, then you'll know that unlike that card, Nvidia is not producing a reference model of the GTX 970, the second enthusiast-grade Maxwell part that replaces the GTX 770 in the product stack. The images on this page do not reflect a ready to buy product. Instead, Nvidia's AICs will be able to purchase the GPU and memory chips, but after that it's up to them, and this will undoubtedly lead to a high degree of variability when it comes to PCB and cooler design as well as factory overclocks.  [bit-tech.net]
---
Furthermore, as we mentioned in our GTX 980 review, GTX 970 has been a pure virtual (no reference card) launch, which means all of NVIDIA’s partners are launching their custom cards right out of the gate. A lot of these have been recycled or otherwise only slightly modified GTX 700/600 series designs, owing to the fact that GM204’s memory bus has been held at 256-bits and its power requirements are so low. [Anandtech .com]

maybe them recycled 700 series parts used was not up to  snuff with the 900 Maxwell chips at power ?

but still I got one  when the 10 series released  and they fell short on support  / of fully supporting my needs  . I just could not see spending extra money on a 10 series to support it  when the 900 did all ouit of the box at its price..

iwas going with a MSI but the day I went to buy this evga went on a heck of a sale so it went in to the cart instead of that MSI  980ti .    I don't guess I see there cards  ''burning up '' and all as your now seeing with these evga's ??

Wolfpack Hybrid
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC R33 Inductor / Card dead 2018/08/30 06:57:41 (permalink)
rjohnson11
Wolfpack Hybrid

Sadly this claim isn't true and there has been NO massive problems with EVGA 1000 series cards. EVGA not only uses good components but they source the best components possible. 

You may have rights under UK law (fit for purpose) but I don't know about that. Check with the applicable UK agency that can help you. 

Here maybe?: https://www.which.co.uk/t...-goods-complaint-tool/

That's interesting because last year when I was building computers for couple people every hardware review site was reporting about EVGAs issues with their video cards frying. That's why I went with ASUS 1070s into those rigs instead of EVGA. I would have gone EVGA because at THAT time I was still very satisfied with my 980ti Hybrid. I am glad i told'em to to buy ASUS Strix. Quite possible I would have them coming to me now complaining their 1070s fried.

Yes you are correct they do source the best components possible ...for their KINGPIN lineup. Good for EVGA! BRAVO! Congrats on bin picked components for KINGPIN video cards!

Dr.Death
FTW Member
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC R33 Inductor / Card dead 2018/08/30 07:25:52 (permalink)
lot of kingpin guys here as well  awhile back  with failed or failing .

I got the 980ti hybrid as well  . luckily so far still doing good [knock on wood]  likei say I still got to wonder how long or each time I now fire up with it  with all this your seeing 
Phix.uk
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC R33 Inductor / Card dead 2018/08/30 11:31:16 (permalink)
literally the worst customer service i've had from any suppllier , They seems to be playing a game of catch on the email chain , 
Will be contacting trading standards as its a matter of time before these cards cause a more serious fire 
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile