EVGA

EVGA FTW3 Ultra Fan Troubleshoot

Author
Wartymender
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/12/04 20:03:45 (permalink)
I jump-started my pc after installing my 3090 and I noticed that 2 out of the 3 fans were spinning. I was wondering if I should try to get everything set up then manually oc the fans or if I should start the return process.

4 Replies Related Threads

VirtualUnreality
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 122
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EVGA FTW3 Ultra Fan Troubleshoot 2020/12/04 20:28:25 (permalink)
    Not enough info there ( Like which 3090, temps, load, etc ) to tell but you're on the right track.  Power down inspect card if you haven't already for ingested debris/bents fins interference/loose fan header/etc & do fans spin manually with minimal resistance with a finger if you haven't already.  Note that ICX3 fans do NOT spin below 55C by design.  If all's good, fire it back up without any load and using Precision X1 unlock fan from temp and set all fans 100% and check fan RPM's and you'll know for sure if you have a bad fan ( Hope not!  ) or something else.

Want an easy way to save up to 10% on your next EVGA purchase? Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the EVGA associate code Y8SZAS1DU12NL92 at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to say "Thank You!" for using it! 

When you register your products please use my Rewards Program Code: NHZXD6NWS9 when uploading your invoice.  Thank you!
    Wartymender
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: EVGA FTW3 Ultra Fan Troubleshoot 2020/12/04 22:28:52 (permalink)
    I have the FTW3 Ultra 3090. I haven't even loaded windows onto the pc yet so I don't know the exact temps or etc. I also checked for any dents or any abnormalities in the fans and I didn't see anything.
    dmisiur
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: EVGA FTW3 Ultra Fan Troubleshoot 2020/12/04 23:19:12 (permalink)
    I would check a youtube video of someone’s build to see, but I bet they should all spin.
    VirtualUnreality
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 122
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EVGA FTW3 Ultra Fan Troubleshoot 2020/12/04 23:30:38 (permalink)
    Lucky you with that FTW3 Ultra 3090! Your card has EVGA 3rd gen smart cooling "ICX3"--it has 9 different thermal sensors and can run the fans asynchronously when it wants/needs to depending on hotspots on card.  So for example in your case, since you don't have OS installed yet and you were sitting there in BIOS marveling at all this cool hardware you just finished assembling ( I always do that too when the build's done ), probably the 2 fans over the GPU/VRM area spun up after a moment but the one over Mem didn't need to since you were displaying a simple image with almost zero changes ( Date & Time and maybe cpu & mem bus and clocks depending on which Mobo/BIOS ? ).  I understand why you'd think that fan spinning wasn't a good sign if you didn't already know all the above ( There's a cool brief informatic about 80% of the way down the overview tab for that card on EVGA's website that details it BTW ), but sounds like you have no worries yet. Now stop reading this and get Windows installed already so you can get to gaming!

Want an easy way to save up to 10% on your next EVGA purchase? Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the EVGA associate code Y8SZAS1DU12NL92 at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to say "Thank You!" for using it! 

When you register your products please use my Rewards Program Code: NHZXD6NWS9 when uploading your invoice.  Thank you!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile