EVGA CLC 240 400-HY-CL24-V1 Problem

Author
floorpizza
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 161
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/03/25 15:04:28 (permalink)
According to: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-CL24-V1, "The fan settings and lighting save to firmware so you can set it and forget it."

This was a huge selling point for me; I wanted to be able to set the fan curve I wanted, save it to firmware, then exit the Flow Control software. The settings are supposed to save to firmware, right? I must be missing something, because once I have my fan curves set the way I want, if I exit the Flow Control software, the fans *will not* change speed according to changes in CPU temperature. As soon as I open the Flow Control software, the fan curve becomes active again.

Is there a way to save the settings to the firmware that I'm overlooking somewhere? I've thoroughly gone through the instructions for the Flow Control software, and I'm not seeing any way to specifically save the settings to the firmware. I do not want to have the Flow Control software open all the time in order for the fans to change speed according to changes in CPU temperature. I am using the latest version of the Flow Control software, and my CL24 is only a month old.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Edit: this is not in reference to the build in my signature. I have just built my son his first gaming rig, and the CL24 is in his system. The functionality of being able to save the settings to the firmware and not have to have the Flow Control software open all the time was the PRIMARY SELLING POINT for me. It is the ONLY reason I bought this AIO. If this advertised functionality does not exist and isn't capable of being used I will be returning the cooler. But I doubt that's the case... it's more likely to be some small thing I'm overlooking.
post edited by floorpizza - 2018/03/25 15:21:17

MSI x570 MEG ACE
AMD 3900x
EVGA 2080 FTW
32g Micron E-Die
2, 1t Corsair PCI Gen IV NVMe in RAID 0
Various other SSD's and old school mechanical HD's for backup and other shenanigans
Corsair Obsidian 750D case

14 Replies Related Threads

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: EVGA CLC 240 400-HY-CL24-V1 Problem 2018/03/26 05:44:48 (permalink)
    You do know you can do that on most of the popular AIO/CLC liquid coolers on the market right. People have been doing that with Corsair Hydro coolers for years now. 

Are you able to change the fan speeds at all with the software open? 

floorpizza
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA CLC 240 400-HY-CL24-V1 Problem 2018/03/26 13:31:53 (permalink)
    MSim
    You do know you can do that on most of the popular AIO/CLC liquid coolers on the market right. People have been doing that with Corsair Hydro coolers for years now. 

Are you able to change the fan speeds at all with the software open? 

I have an original Corsair H110i that does not have this functionality. When I was shopping for the 4 GTX 1080's I purchased last month, I found a bundled 1080 that came with the CLC, and it was instock. After reading EVGA'S marketing mats for the CLC, that functionality stuck out. It wasn't until after I had bought the bundle that I became aware of the fact that pretty much all Asetek based AIO'S now had that functionality. All, it would appear, except EVGA'S, in spite of this being a marketed feature. Had I known that the current gen Corsair H110i supported this feature, I would have gone with it, as Corsair now has had long enough to work on their version of Flow Control (Corsair LINK) that I now have it running bug free. Flow Control is horrendously buggy.

To quote my original post, "As soon as I open the Flow Control software, the fan curve becomes active again."

There's another thread about this same issue, only the poster is using LINUX Flow Control software, so it doesn't look like it's an OS dependent problem. His thread is over a week old with no help from EVGA. : /

Edit: Are you able to set your curves on your 2nd gen Corsair AIO and save them to firmware successfully? If so, I assume you can then exit Corsair LINK and your curve still works? If that's the case, I'm going to RMA the CLC if EVGA can't get this working, then get a current gen Corsair cooler. LINK was horribly buggy 3 years ago, but it's working perfectly on my old 110i now.

Yet another Edit: If the Flow Control software wasn't so buggy, this wouldn't be nearly the issue that it is. But right now, it is so buggy as to be nearly unusable. I have two 1080's installed in my son's rig: an EVGA FTW2, and an EVGA SC. LED Synch does *not* play well with EVGA Precision and Flow Control. I won't bother to write out how so... there are plenty of posts here describing exactly the issues my son and I are experiencing. EVGA Flow Control conflicts with ASUS Smart Fan to the point that running them both at the same time slows the system down to a crawl. And yes, I do have the fan header that powers the CLC set manually to 100% power in BIOS. The obvious solution: save the CLC fan/pump curve to firmware, and exit Flow Control. This is where the missing advertised functionality really becomes a problem. : /

Since the LINUX guy's post has gone over a week with no response from EVGA tech support, I think I'll just give them a phone call today. I'll update this thread with any useful information in case there are any lurkers out there having this same problem.

post edited by floorpizza - 2018/03/26 14:29:59

MSI x570 MEG ACE
    AMD 3900x
    EVGA 2080 FTW
    32g Micron E-Die
    Various other SSD's and old school mechanical HD's for backup and other shenanigans

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: EVGA CLC 240 400-HY-CL24-V1 Problem 2018/03/28 06:26:33 (permalink)
    What version of Corsair Link software did you try it on. You should be able to chance the device to "Keep Current Settings as Default", once it saves. You should be able to disable or uninstall the software, without losing the saved profile to the pump.  That is why a Corsair rep said on Corsair forums to a customer. 

I can't confirm 100% that it works. I never hooked up the cable to the pump on my system or installed Corsair link software.  My next build, i will probably switch back to using a tower air cooler.

floorpizza
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA CLC 240 400-HY-CL24-V1 Problem 2018/03/28 12:20:02 (permalink)
    MSim
    What version of Corsair Link software did you try it on. You should be able to chance the device to "Keep Current Settings as Default", once it saves. You should be able to disable or uninstall the software, without losing the saved profile to the pump.  That is why a Corsair rep said on Corsair forums to a customer. 

I can't confirm 100% that it works. I never hooked up the cable to the pump on my system or installed Corsair link software.  My next build, i will probably switch back to using a tower air cooler.

Unfortunately, the ability to save settings from Corsair LINK to the cooler's firmware wasn't added in until version 2 of the cooler; my original v1 lacks the capability, and it's a hardware thing, not a software thing.

After waiting on hold with EVGA support yesterday for 20 minutes, I gave up. So I'm back to waiting to hopefully get some sort of a response here in this thread.
    post edited by floorpizza - 2018/03/28 12:25:32

MSI x570 MEG ACE
    AMD 3900x
    EVGA 2080 FTW
    32g Micron E-Die

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: EVGA CLC 240 400-HY-CL24-V1 Problem 2018/03/29 21:58:46 (permalink)
    Corsair Link software for it's Hydro coolers. You have to make sure the fan/pump performance is tied to the cooler reported temperature, if you want to uninstall the software and keep a profile saved on the pump. That might work for EVGA CLC unit too.

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EVGA CLC 240 400-HY-CL24-V1 Problem 2018/03/29 22:33:40 (permalink)
    From my understanding flow control only needs to be open to make a change. After it's changed it is saved to the firmware. You can test by changing the RGB color and seeing if after you restart the computer with flow control closed if color is what you had set.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

floorpizza
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA CLC 240 400-HY-CL24-V1 Problem 2018/03/31 13:03:33 (permalink)
    MSim
    Corsair Link software for it's Hydro coolers. You have to make sure the fan/pump performance is tied to the cooler reported temperature, if you want to uninstall the software and keep a profile saved on the pump. That might work for EVGA CLC unit too.

I confirmed with Corsair that the firmware saving feature was added in version 2 of my AIO. It's really not a big deal for my machine, as Corsair LINK works very well. The problem is in my son's machine where EVGA Flow Control is so buggy that we *really* need to have the firmware saving feature working.

Hoggle
    From my understanding flow control only needs to be open to make a change. After it's changed it is saved to the firmware. You can test by changing the RGB color and seeing if after you restart the computer with flow control closed if color is what you had set.

Yeah, it's not working. When the Flow Control software is exited, the fans then maintain whatever speed they were at when Flow Control was exited, regardless of what the CPU temperature does. And yes, we do have the fan curve set to change fan speed with the CPU temperature and not the coolant temperature.

As soon as the Flow Control software is started again, the fans then speed up/down according to cpu temperature.

This has all been verified by running stress tests with Aida 64. With Flow Control open, the fans speed up with CPU temperature increase, and slow down with CPU temperature decrease. With Flow Control closed, they do not.

MSI x570 MEG ACE
    AMD 3900x
    EVGA 2080 FTW
    32g Micron E-Die

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA CLC 240 400-HY-CL24-V1 Problem 2018/03/31 13:41:11 (permalink)
    Have you asked EVGA technical support ?

https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

floorpizza
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA CLC 240 400-HY-CL24-V1 Problem 2018/03/31 18:33:04 (permalink)
    I sat on hold for 20 minutes the other day... Guess I'll have to try again. I thought that some of their support guys/gals offered tech support here in the forums, too.

MSI x570 MEG ACE
    AMD 3900x
    EVGA 2080 FTW
    32g Micron E-Die

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA CLC 240 400-HY-CL24-V1 Problem 2018/03/31 18:53:24 (permalink)
    I'll move this to the EVGA Software section and see if it may attract some more visibility

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

floorpizza
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA CLC 240 400-HY-CL24-V1 Problem 2018/04/01 15:53:29 (permalink)
    Thanks!

MSI x570 MEG ACE
    AMD 3900x
    EVGA 2080 FTW
    32g Micron E-Die

floorpizza
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA CLC 240 400-HY-CL24-V1 Problem 2018/04/11 13:15:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help, EVGA. Never mind... switching to a Corsair H110i instead.

MSI x570 MEG ACE
    AMD 3900x
    EVGA 2080 FTW
    32g Micron E-Die

Aponos
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: EVGA CLC 240 400-HY-CL24-V1 Problem 2019/05/27 10:47:05 (permalink)
    Flow software is really buggy....
    carloren
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: EVGA CLC 240 400-HY-CL24-V1 Problem 2019/11/16 03:08:37 (permalink)
    Hello, sorry for revive this thread.

But I was the same problem of "Floorpizza".

I discovered the problem, is the app (EVGA FLOW CONTROL). Because I tested with the app of the other manufacturer. I closed it, reboot the pc and automatically the fans started to work (WITHOUT OPEN THE APP) with the curved I saved in the firmware with the app of the other manufacturer.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile