AnsweredEVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
JJ91284
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/03/19 15:54:51 (permalink)
I have an EVGA 1070TI thats decided to give up a few days ago. The fan didn't come on or even the LED light so obviously there is a power issue. The card is out of warranty as I bought it new in either Dec 2017 or January 2018. I need the capacitor values that look damaged in the picture along with the bottom 4 inductor bridges (I think that's what they are). I'll order the replacement parts from Mouser or Digikey as they likely have them in stock. 

Hopefully I can get a response here, otherwise I'll have to disassemble my other desktop computer and remove the good working EVGA 1070TI card to remove the components to figure out the values. I'd gladly buy a new RTX 3000 series card but they are out of stock everywhere and hard to come by so I need to fix this one.

Part Number on Back of Card: 08G-P4-5670-KR

Attached Image(s)

Q9550 3.8 ghz
EVGA 790i Ultra
4 GB PC3-10600
2 320 GB Seagate 7200.10 Raid 0
EVGA GTX 260
PNY GTX 260
Creative X-FI Extreme Gamer
Corsair 850-TX PSU
Antec P180B
Vista 64

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21173
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/03/19 16:53:14 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Cool GTX 2021/03/20 20:56:37
None of us know their values.  It's confidential information which EVGA does not share.

Your best bet for figuring them out is to measure a known-good card.

But be warned, the root cause could be something else.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

EVGATech_AnthonyS
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 149
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/03/20 14:37:41 (permalink)
As ty_ger07 said, this is confidential information that we are unable to give out. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
JJ91284
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/03/20 17:35:23 (permalink)
ty_ger07
None of us know their values.  It's confidential information which EVGA does not share.

Yeah, unfortunately I haven't heard back from EVGA but it's the weekend so I'll give them a few more days. I fully understand that when the parts blew it could have taken out the memory or gp104 chipset. If that's the case, so be it as it's worth a $10 or so between parts and shipping to try and see if it works. 

I hope EVGA would do the right thing and reply with the proper spec parts. If they chose not to, then they are no longer geared towards enthusiasts and no longer support the community. It's not like they are giving away anything of intellectual value that couldn't be easily figured out. If they were so concerned about IP theft, they would have potted the PCB to prevent reading or tampering with the components on the board. If they try playing the card that they are concerned about random people repairing cards and starting a fire, then that argument would also fail as they've released over the years numerous versions of the EVGA Epower which requires soldering on the jumper wires to ones graphics card. If you're not familiar with this, I'll post a link if you're curious.

https://xdevs.com/guide/pascal_oc/

https://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/epower_v_guide.pdf

I've been a huge fan of EVGA over the past 18 years or so and have owned a ton of their equipment. My profile obviously is old here but my first card from them was a cheap pci FX5200 but over the years I've easily bought over 20 cards from them and numerous motherboards back when they made them.

Q9550 3.8 ghz
EVGA 790i Ultra
4 GB PC3-10600
EVGA GTX 260
PNY GTX 260
Corsair 850-TX PSU
Antec P180B
Vista 64

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/03/20 19:30:27 (permalink)
JJ91284
Yeah, unfortunately I haven't heard back from EVGA ...

EVGATech_AnthonyS responded above.

JJ91284
I hope EVGA would do the right thing and reply with the proper spec parts.

post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/03/20 21:07:53

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30996
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/03/20 20:58:50 (permalink)
Good luck trying to repair the card

The question is did these parts cause the problem or were they damaged by the problem

multilayered PCB could have hidden damage ... better test for many different places/ values on your good card - to get an idea if it could possibly be salvaged

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

kougar
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3034
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/03/20 23:44:10 (permalink)
You could try techpowerup or Buildzoid, but odds are it's way faster and better to just measure them yourself. Hopefully the VRAM and core survived on yours without any voltage spikes. When an inductor blew on my Titan Black it took out half the VRAM chipset with it. 

Have water, will cool. 
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/03/21 12:22:54 (permalink)
JJ91284
ty_ger07

Yeah, unfortunately I haven't heard back from EVGA but it's the weekend so I'll give them a few more days. I fully understand that when the parts blew it could have taken out the memory or gp104 chipset. If that's the case, so be it as it's worth a $10 or so between parts and shipping to try and see if it works. 

I hope EVGA would do the right thing and reply with the proper spec parts. If they chose not to, then they are no longer geared towards enthusiasts and no longer support the community. It's not like they are giving away anything of intellectual value that couldn't be easily figured out. If they were so concerned about IP theft, they would have potted the PCB to prevent reading or tampering with the components on the board. If they try playing the card that they are concerned about random people repairing cards and starting a fire, then that argument would also fail as they've released over the years numerous versions of the EVGA Epower which requires soldering on the jumper wires to ones graphics card. If you're not familiar with this, I'll post a link if you're curious.

I've been a huge fan of EVGA over the past 18 years or so and have owned a ton of their equipment. My profile obviously is old here but my first card from them was a cheap pci FX5200 but over the years I've easily bought over 20 cards from them and numerous motherboards back when they made them.

Might have been a good idea to read the link you posted.

"As usual, you are on your own when doing even little simple mod. If you card/system burns in flames or just simply stop working, do not try to RMA it or expect a support from manufacturers. Anything below this paragraph in this article is NOT covered by any kind of warranty, and provided AS IS only for education purpose, without support from manufacturer or NVIDIA. So yes, “don’t try this at home”. Any RMA attempt of soldered card is easily diagnosed today and will be rejected. "

Secondarily. most of us are also aware not a single company is going to give you the the component specs and/or official schematics. Not a one.  While I can understand being upset about a card failing. I don't understand an inaccurate rage fit attacking a company without cause.

Lastly, EVGA still makes motherboards.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

JJ91284
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/03/21 15:23:01 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
JJ91284
ty_ger07

"As usual, you are on your own when doing even little simple mod. If you card/system burns in flames or just simply stop working, do not try to RMA it or expect a support from manufacturers. Anything below this paragraph in this article is NOT covered by any kind of warranty, and provided AS IS only for education purpose, without support from manufacturer or NVIDIA. So yes, “don’t try this at home”. Any RMA attempt of soldered card is easily diagnosed today and will be rejected. "

Secondarily. most of us are also aware not a single company is going to give you the the component specs and/or official schematics. Not a one.  While I can understand being upset about a card failing. I don't understand an inaccurate rage fit attacking a company without cause.

Based on your statement, I'm assuming you didn't understand that my card is out of warranty and I didn't expect EVGA to fix it.

The part about companies not giving specs or schematics  is far from the truth. I've received documentation from a few large companies like DENON, Ford, BOSCH, TE and other large companies. I can understand why someone would try to guard the actual pcb design and components to safe guard their IP (intellectual property). It doesn't make sense to not provide someone the specifications of a few components especially when EVGA prides themselves on hardware being developed for enthusiasts and produces Enthusiast components like the EVGA EPOWER that I mentioned in the links. My friend has an Nvidia 1070 TI FE and the pcb literally is the same design as my EVGA 1070 TI so again its not about safe guarding IP. The ASUS 1070 TI he brought over was definitely different.  I'll even post a picture of this.

NVIDIA Reference 1070 TI FE

Asus 1070 TI

You mention that I'm raging, which I can assure you I'm not. Over the past decades, America and actually the entire world for the most part society has become increasingly more wasteful. Society use to be about fixing broken equipment instead of chucking it into landfills. Is it so bad that I don't want to chuck a once perfectly working video card that has the potential to be saved for less than $10 in parts? 

Attached Image(s)

Q9550 3.8 ghz
EVGA 790i Ultra
4 GB PC3-10600
EVGA GTX 260
PNY GTX 260
Corsair 850-TX PSU
Antec P180B
Vista 64

JJ91284
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/03/21 15:31:59 (permalink)
Top Capacitor Specs

post edited by JJ91284 - 2021/03/21 15:48:04

Attached Image(s)

Q9550 3.8 ghz
EVGA 790i Ultra
4 GB PC3-10600
EVGA GTX 260
PNY GTX 260
Corsair 850-TX PSU
Antec P180B
Vista 64

JJ91284
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/03/21 15:33:20 (permalink)
Second Capacitor down and the ones below this are the same capacitance

Attached Image(s)

Q9550 3.8 ghz
EVGA 790i Ultra
4 GB PC3-10600
EVGA GTX 260
PNY GTX 260
Corsair 850-TX PSU
Antec P180B
Vista 64

JJ91284
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/03/21 15:35:33 (permalink)
Instead of Inductor beads, I went with a larger 41 amp single inductor that already has the solder points on the board. The smaller inductor beads are cheaper like 25% of the cost but for high current there aren't many options. Unfortunately I don't own a signal generator which I would use in combination with my oscilloscope to measure them, so instead I went with a larger single inductor. The  1080 uses a 31 amp inductors so a 41 amp inductor for a 1070 TI should work well.

post edited by JJ91284 - 2021/03/21 15:40:27

Attached Image(s)

Q9550 3.8 ghz
EVGA 790i Ultra
4 GB PC3-10600
EVGA GTX 260
PNY GTX 260
Corsair 850-TX PSU
Antec P180B
Vista 64

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/03/21 19:27:00 (permalink)
JJ91284
HeavyHemi
JJ91284
ty_ger07

Based on your statement, I'm assuming you didn't understand that my card is out of warranty and I didn't expect EVGA to fix it.

The part about companies not giving specs or schematics  is far from the truth. I've received documentation from a few large companies like DENON, Ford, BOSCH, TE and other large companies. I can understand why someone would try to guard the actual pcb design and components to safe guard their IP (intellectual property). It doesn't make sense to not provide someone the specifications of a few components especially when EVGA prides themselves on hardware being developed for enthusiasts and produces Enthusiast components like the EVGA EPOWER that I mentioned in the links. My friend has an Nvidia 1070 TI FE and the pcb literally is the same design as my EVGA 1070 TI so again its not about safe guarding IP. The ASUS 1070 TI he brought over was definitely different.  I'll even post a picture of this.

NVIDIA Reference 1070 TI FE

Asus 1070 TI

You mention that I'm raging, which I can assure you I'm not. Over the past decades, America and actually the entire world for the most part society has become increasingly more wasteful. Society use to be about fixing broken equipment instead of chucking it into landfills. Is it so bad that I don't want to chuck a once perfectly working video card that has the potential to be saved for less than $10 in parts? 

That's nice. But that doesn't change my answer or the things you were inaccurate about. Decades ago it was SOP for schematics to be included with most electronics. Marantz, Fender, Marshall, blah blah... many times attached to the interior. One time I had a schematic's glue dry out, fell on a power tube and caught fire. As a professional EE  who used to manage one of the largest semi assembly and test orgs in the world (now retired), I can appreciate wanting to repair something or the vast amounts of electronic waste... (I wonder if you really have any idea of the massive scale) but I digress.
post edited by HeavyHemi - 2021/03/21 19:33:36

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Warlynk
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/04/14 14:57:15 (permalink)
I too have had this issue, although in different location on the Board. From my research post releasing the factory installed smoke, it appears this is a very common problem with this batch of 1070/1080 cards. It appears also that EVGA was well aware of this issue, and made some token effort to appease those involved, After the web made an issue of it. I for one never knew of these issues until post smoke/fire. Which makes me concerned, as I have also held EVGA as a top notch Customer service company. I am currently researching and preparing to buy a replacement card, something in the RTX 3000 series, and this situation causes me to question going EVGA products again, especially due to current pricing and availability. if I am going to spend $1000-$2000 on a piece of equipment, I need to be sure the company that makes that equipment stands behind their product and resolves issues with long term customers in mind. If a carmaker installed brakes on a car that caused fires, they should make the customer aware of this situation, and work with them to resolve it. We all make mistakes, it's how we deal with those mistakes that sets our reputation. 
staypuft
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4013
  • Ribbons : 31
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/04/14 16:19:19 (permalink)
Warlynk
I too have had this issue, although in different location on the Board. From my research post releasing the factory installed smoke, it appears this is a very common problem with this batch of 1070/1080 cards. It appears also that EVGA was well aware of this issue, and made some token effort to appease those involved, After the web made an issue of it. I for one never knew of these issues until post smoke/fire. Which makes me concerned, as I have also held EVGA as a top notch Customer service company. I am currently researching and preparing to buy a replacement card, something in the RTX 3000 series, and this situation causes me to question going EVGA products again, especially due to current pricing and availability. if I am going to spend $1000-$2000 on a piece of equipment, I need to be sure the company that makes that equipment stands behind their product and resolves issues with long term customers in mind. If a carmaker installed brakes on a car that caused fires, they should make the customer aware of this situation, and work with them to resolve it. We all make mistakes, it's how we deal with those mistakes that sets our reputation. 

The 1070Ti came out well after the issues you mention regarding 1070 and 1080 ACX cards.  EVGA was quick to address any potential weaknesses.

Failures like these do happen to electronics and it is always a good idea to consider extended warranties if you plan to keep the card longer than 3 years.

This failure is unfortunate and I hope the OP can get their card fixed.

Interested in a discount on EVGA products?
Click here for details and enter this Associates code at checkout >> 2ILPLQQ8IWY8DPN

2021 Build: Gigabyte Z590 Ultra | Core i7-10700K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Fractal Design Meshify C | Asus TUF VG27AQL1A
Warlynk
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/04/14 16:32:31 (permalink)
The 1070Ti came out well after the issues you mention regarding 1070 and 1080 ACX cards.

I do not own a Ti, I own a EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 08G-P4-6276-KR

EVGA was quick to address any potential weaknesses.

How So? Nothing was addressed with me. 

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/04/14 17:19:42 (permalink)
Warlynk
The 1070Ti came out well after the issues you mention regarding 1070 and 1080 ACX cards.

I do not own a Ti, I own a EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 08G-P4-6276-KR

This thread is about a 1070Ti. If you want to get up on a soapbox, maybe you should do it elsewhere.

Warlynk
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/04/14 18:21:12 (permalink)
My apologies regarding the mis-thread, I will attempt to find the correct one. 

Oh, and Ty_ger07 thanks for cranking up my Frustration level. Was very helpful.
dborba
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/04/20 18:05:50 (permalink)
Did you manage to fix this issue? I had the exactly same problem, my board just burned while my computer was idle, don't know why.. Nicest part is that my warranty finished last month, what I coincidence :).
I didn't use any kind of overclock besides the automatic and recommended done by the EVGA software and for some reason my board got fried.

I'm not intend to do this fix by myself, will pay some company that have the right equipment to do it, but it would be nice to know if you fix it, at least will give me some hope since buy a GPU today is something reeeally expensive.

Attached Image(s)

JJ91284
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/04/23 20:35:35 (permalink)
dborba
Did you manage to fix this issue? I had the exactly same problem, my board just burned while my computer was idle, don't know why.. Nicest part is that my warranty finished last month, what I coincidence :).
I didn't use any kind of overclock besides the automatic and recommended done by the EVGA software and for some reason my board got fried.

I'm not intend to do this fix by myself, will pay some company that have the right equipment to do it, but it would be nice to know if you fix it, at least will give me some hope since buy a GPU today is something reeeally expensive.

I ordered the replacement parts from mouser and they are sitting on my work bench. Normally mouser is pretty quick but with covid my order took a bit over 2 weeks to arrive at my door. I had a work trip and only got back this week and haven't had time to tackle it. I actually plan to tackle it this weekend. From what I understand, generally when those capacitors go it's possible the mosfet is toast. That's not a problem as the chips are cheap and I bought a spare set. The bigger problem is if the mosfet went, it's possible that when it failed it also takes out the memory. So I'll find out when I replace the chip and caps.

Q9550 3.8 ghz
EVGA 790i Ultra
4 GB PC3-10600
EVGA GTX 260
PNY GTX 260
Corsair 850-TX PSU
Antec P180B
Vista 64

ddog661
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 112
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/04/28 10:35:53 (permalink)
Wild men! My 1070ti is luckily still kicking.

EVGA Associate Code: S7J93UZF57CEOFM
Elite Program Referral Link: https://www.evga.com/member/elite/?referralid=NHS68RYWQ0PFNE7WHFBB

Use the associate code when purchasing an item or use the link when you meet the requirements to become an elite member (if you so desire)
Warlynk
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/04/28 11:41:29 (permalink)
No Sir, Still an overpriced Anchor. 
OhmicFutility
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/05/24 23:06:12 (permalink)
While it is likely redundant since the OP appears to have already found a suitable replacement part...
For those in a similar situation, if you cannot find a detailed spec sheet (given it is confidential), I wanted to put in a recommendation for multimeter with the ability to measure resistance, capacitance, and inductance (the cheaper voltmeters can't do this... you have to go mid-range, but they are not that expensive).
It at least give you a place to start.
Whether you are personally willing to take a soldering iron to your graphics card is dependent upon your courage/desperation. 
jschu995
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/06/01 16:46:24 (permalink)
Rare that this happens to GPU, but sad it happned
Darkkittycry79
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 213
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/06/01 21:00:03 (permalink)
What a bad time to have a problem. Get in line for an etch-a-sketch.  That's the only graphics cards you can get this days.
nasax161969
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/06/08 10:48:06 (permalink)
Ebay has cards for parts for the 1070 Ti you might have some luck sourcing replacement parts from there. 
Home repairs are not for the light of heart though. 
supaflowinz
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 110
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/06/08 11:29:14 (permalink)
I would find it hard to repair the card, and I would also find it JUST as hard to get my hands on a RTX 30 series. Best of luck to whatever you chose to do.
r4v3nfro5t
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/06/08 16:41:05 (permalink)

onkel6ix
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/06/09 05:08:02 (permalink)
OMG I feel so sorry for you man. Hope you can at least get it fixed.
Crazcookye84
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA 1070TI Blown with Pictures 2021/06/16 13:34:39 (permalink)
Its hard to pinpoint what exactly is the issue. Once the issue is found, usually sourcing the part and soldering it is not too difficult.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile