EVGA

LockedCan you get banned for using monitor's crosshair?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6473
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 7
2013/06/29 10:16:34 (permalink)
Can you get banned for using a monitor's OSD crosshair, like the one built into Asus' 144Hz monitors?

42 Replies Related Threads

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12765
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 11:05:52 (permalink)
    chrisdglong

Can you get banned for using a monitor's OSD crosshair, like the one built into Asus' 144Hz monitors?

I have never used the crosshair utility in my monitor. Why you would get any benefit from using it? I can only guess at the answer and have to ask how would EA/DICE or Punkbuster know that you were using it since it is part of the monitor and not modifying any part of the game code.

EDIT: I can only refer to the last post on page one here:
    http://battlelog.battlefi...w/2832654348512308772/
    post edited by Zuhl3156 - 2013/06/29 11:10:06
    Halo_003
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10297
    • Ribbons : 51
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 11:40:30 (permalink)
    No, it doesn't interact with the game so there's no way Punkbuster would see it, sort of like how you can do the same thing with electrical tape. (example) 
    post edited by Halo_003 - 2013/06/29 13:51:53

i7 7700K - ASUS Maximus IX Apex - 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3466MHz C16 - 5700 XT 50th Anniversary

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 11:50:10 (permalink)
    Halo_003

No, it doesn't interact with the game so there's no way Punkbuster would see it, sort of like how you can do the same thing with electrical tape.

Have you tried it yet or know someone who has? I know it needs calibration and quite honestly I am getting too lazy in my old age to even mess with it right now. lol
    It is my understanding that it was designed with older FPS games in mind that had no onscreen crosshairs. Thanks for any input.
    Halo_003
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10297
    • Ribbons : 51
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 12:04:34 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156

Halo_003

No, it doesn't interact with the game so there's no way Punkbuster would see it, sort of like how you can do the same thing with electrical tape.

Have you tried it yet or know someone who has? I know it needs calibration and quite honestly I am getting too lazy in my old age to even mess with it right now. lol
    It is my understanding that it was designed with older FPS games in mind that had no onscreen crosshairs. Thanks for any input.

No, but I mean if it's an OSD monitor thing it's verrrry unlikely that it would get you banned. Easiest way would be to email Valve(VAC) and Punkbuster support for a definite answer.

i7 7700K - ASUS Maximus IX Apex - 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3466MHz C16 - 5700 XT 50th Anniversary

maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9897
    • Ribbons : 165
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 12:10:16 (permalink)
    Use of external software to run a crosshair is of course, cheating if running a game that does not have one (like BF3 hardcore mode)

This is fine for single player games, but doing -anything- that gives you an advantage and is not available to other players in Multiplayer games is considered  blatant and intentional cheating and should never be done.

If used, a cheating ban would be warranted  

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49090
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 12:22:20 (permalink)
    maniacvvv

Use of external software to run a crosshair is of course, cheating if running a game that does not have one (like BF3 hardcore mode)

This is fine for single player games, but doing -anything- that gives you an advantage and is not available to other players in Multiplayer games is considered  blatant and intentional cheating and should never be done.

What the OP is talking about is NOT cheating. Using a monitors OSD to display a crosshair will NOT get you banned, as the crosshair is not modifying the game code at all.
    maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 12:33:24 (permalink)
    Sajin

maniacvvv

What the OP is talking about is NOT cheating. Using a monitors OSD to display a crosshair will NOT get you banned, as the crosshair is not modifying the game code at all.

There are those who cheat, and those that do not.

It -is- of course cheating if YOU have a crosshair (for whatever reason) in BF3 hardcore mode, as there is NOT supposed to be one.
    --->This gives you a advantage and is of course cheating.
    If you cannot recognise that difference, you should not play multiplayer games with others. 

Its not about getting caught, its about cheating when playing in multiplayer games with others
    Either you Cheat or you dont Dont. There are no excuses or explanations to be made.

If playing in-game with others where a crosshair is -designed- not to be present, use of one is a blatant cheat -period- 

post edited by maniacvvv - 2013/06/29 12:43:00

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 12:46:20 (permalink)
    maniacvvv

Sajin

maniacvvv

It -is- of course cheating if YOU have a crosshair (for whatever reason) in BF3 hardcore mode, as there is NOT supposed to be one.
    If you cannot recognise that difference, you should not play multiplayer games with others. 

Its not about getting caught, its about cheating when playing in multiplayer games with others
    Either you Cheat or you dont Dont. There are no excuses or explanations to be made.

If playing in-game with others where a crosshair is -designed- not to be present, use of one is a blatant cheat -period- 

It may be unfair but it's not cheating at all. The crosshair is available to the public, only problem is you gotta buy a new monitor. 
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 12:56:29 (permalink)
    maniacvvv

Sajin

maniacvvv

Sajin

maniacvvv

It may be unfair but it's not cheating at all. The crosshair is available to the public, only problem is you gotta buy a new monitor. 
    Nice attitude bro. It's just a game, no need to get your panties all in a bunch just because someone has a slight advantage over you. I guess other players using faster hardware then yourself gets you all bent out of shape as well?
    maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 13:04:20 (permalink)
    Sajin

maniacvvv

Sajin

maniacvvv

Sajin

maniacvvv

Nice attitude bro. It's just a game, no need to get your panties all in a bunch just because someone has a slight advantage over you. I guess other players using faster hardware then yourself gets you all bent out of shape as well?

There are those who play fairly with others and those who do not

We can see which one YOU are

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 13:16:56 (permalink)
    maniacvvv

Sajin

maniacvvv

Sajin

maniacvvv

Sajin

maniacvvv

There are those who play fairly with others and those who do not

We can see which one YOU are

I always play fair bro. I slow my connection down to have a higher ping, I use slower hardware, I don't tape up my monitor when playing in BF3 hardcore mode because I like leveling the playing field when online.  
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 13:29:58 (permalink)
    I don't know what to say, maniacvvv. I get the impression that today's gamers don't even understand the concept of honor.
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4688
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 13:41:11 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156

I don't know what to say, maniacvvv. I get the impression that today's gamers don't even understand the concept of honor.

Its not just in games, unfortunately.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 13:52:55 (permalink)

maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 14:03:18 (permalink)
    This is why I hate this section of the forums
    Children and adult children playing online games and making excuses for poor behavior.

I play fair with others -period-
    ...its funny how around here, standing up for honest gameplay makes you a target.

I am done with this thread
    post edited by maniacvvv - 2013/06/29 14:08:34

Kanti
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4110
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 14:08:12 (permalink)
    Guess we should all return our hardware and only play with the recommended system hardware printed on the box. 

Muh 'filiate code: 387JKEF57G
    ARCTIC_EAGLE
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4123
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 14:19:30 (permalink)
    The biggest advantage in game is FPS and ping/packetloss. So unless you plan on regulating that very closely its impossible to have a fair gaming environment
    RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 10615
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 14:25:43 (permalink)
    Yep, I remember playing BF2142 with a 20 ping, I could manipulate so many things to work in my favor after understanding how the lag worked. I could literally run in weave at anyone to get someones dog tags when I was on a server with a 20 ping or less. People would get so angry.

Halo 1 for the PC was even worse... I could shoot 10 yards in front of someone anticipating where they were going to be and almost get a head shot every time... So many FPS's are like that and people think it's hacking.

Intel i9 10900K
    MSI MEG Z490 ACE
    ASUS TUF RTX 3090
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18
    SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w
    Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB
    Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9318
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 15:12:13 (permalink)
    You won't be banned for using monitor OCD cross-hair. VAC or PB couldn't detect it if they wanted to.  Some people use erasable marker to add a dot.

seronx
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3760
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 15:54:55 (permalink)
    Or... maybe you guys can use the iron sights?

ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional
    AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core Processor
    GeiL Leggera 2*8 GB 1866 MHz
    Windows 8.1/EFI 64-bit
    MSI R7 260X OC
    Alienware OptX AW2210
    fattysc
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 890
    • Ribbons : 15
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 16:07:16 (permalink)
    maniacvvv

Children and adult children playing online games and making excuses for poor behavior.

...its funny how around here, standing up for honest gameplay makes you a target.

I feel ya man. I laugh at people who need that extra advantage to be able to cope with people with actual skill. We know they suck they know they suck. So let them suck.

Just so you guys know PB has the ability to have a admin take a screen shot remotely. Used to be that way at least. Now I'm not sure if the cross hair will be rendered or not on said screenshot. So be careful.

Specs:
    i7 930 @ 3.6
    Patriot Inferno 60gb SSD
    Spinpoint F3 1tb HDD
    ASUS SaberTooth X58
    EVGA GTX GeForce 760 SC 4gb 
    ANTEC 750 WATT PSU
    KINGSTON HYPER-X 1600mhz 3x4 gb

Slimshiesty
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2255
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 16:18:19 (permalink)
    Well guess i need to stop using my gaming keyboard and gaming mouse.. because theres probably others out there still using regular old mice and keyboards.. giving myself an unfair advantage.

I should probably call my isp, and get the basic cable internet... dont want to have a superior connection against my foe's.

Then i think we should all be running 260 core 216 gpu's, as not everyone will have the latest gpu, and it would be unfair if i did.

we all need to run the exact type and amount of memory too....
    Might as well do the same for the cpu.........
    Heck.. screw it... we should just get consoles !!!    

CPU  Intel i7 6700K @ 4.0 GHz 
    MB   MSI Z170A Gaming 7
    GPU  EVGA GTX 1070ti FTW2
    MEM Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000 2X8GB
    PSU  EVGA Supernova 850 G2
    CASE Thermaltake View 31 TG

chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6473
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 16:19:56 (permalink)
    fattysc

maniacvvv

I feel ya man. I laugh at people who need that extra advantage to be able to cope with people with actual skill. We know they suck they know they suck. So let them suck.

Just so you guys know PB has the ability to have a admin take a screen shot remotely. Used to be that way at least. Now I'm not sure if the cross hair will be rendered or not on said screenshot. So be careful.

Can you take a screenshot of a monitor's OSD? If not, then I don't think you can a monitor's built in crosshair either. 
    fattysc
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 890
    • Ribbons : 15
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 16:41:05 (permalink)
    Slimshiesty

Well guess i need to stop using my gaming keyboard and gaming mouse.. because theres probably others out there still using regular old mice and keyboards.. giving myself an unfair advantage.

I should probably call my isp, and get the basic cable internet... dont want to have a superior connection against my foe's.

Then i think we should all be running 260 core 216 gpu's, as not everyone will have the latest gpu, and it would be unfair if i did.

we all need to run the exact type and amount of memory too....
    Might as well do the same for the cpu.........
    Heck.. screw it... we should just get consoles !!!    

Yeah man. Because all of what you listed has to do with cross hairs. I agree.

None the less. It's a game, people who feel the need to try and get the upper hand will.

Specs:
    i7 930 @ 3.6
    Patriot Inferno 60gb SSD
    Spinpoint F3 1tb HDD
    ASUS SaberTooth X58
    EVGA GTX GeForce 760 SC 4gb 
    ANTEC 750 WATT PSU
    KINGSTON HYPER-X 1600mhz 3x4 gb

Dooms87
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 867
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 16:47:28 (permalink)
    maniacvvv

I Like how you get Uppity with posters proceed to Whine and point fingers at others then make yourself out to be a martyr. Pro Forum Maneuvers, It's a computer game sir cheating happens it's a fact of life you can't change it and this hardly qualifies

NZXT Phantom 630 - Asus P6X58D-E - EVGA GTX 680 FTW 4gb  - Intel I7 930 2.8 Ghz OC @ 4.0Ghz - H80 
    Corsair HX1000W - Corsair 12gb DD3 Dominator ram 1600 - Intel 80 gig X25m SSD -
    Samsung 500g HDD -Logitech G15 - Logitech G9X -Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Slimshiesty
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2255
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 16:52:01 (permalink)
    Get the monitor... post some pics.
    go to the games website, post in there forums or try getting a hold of them and ask if it is bannable... is that a word ?
    Then let us know.

I dont want to have any type of "Hardware" that will give me an unfair advantage.

Time to get my deathstreak on with my basics !

CPU  Intel i7 6700K @ 4.0 GHz 
    MB   MSI Z170A Gaming 7
    GPU  EVGA GTX 1070ti FTW2
    MEM Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000 2X8GB
    PSU  EVGA Supernova 850 G2
    CASE Thermaltake View 31 TG

Baltothewolf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3655
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/29 17:02:27 (permalink)
    I don't think they could ban for it (I mean it's not detectable by any stretch of the imagination, unless of course, they ban you for just owning the monitor). Heck, I use my macro on my deathadder to troll once in a while with the SKS. I have to bind the macro to 2 to shoot because normal M1 is click locked. It's really funny when I fire my SKS faster then most M16's. I have never gotten banned. By definition of cheating, it is well, cheating. You can kick and scream all you want, but it is giving you an unfair advantage by changing the core gameplay in a way that it wasn't meant to be played. 

cheating  present participle of cheat (Verb)

Verb
      1.Act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, esp. in a game or examination: "she cheats at cards".
      2.Deceive or trick.

post edited by Baltothewolf - 2013/06/29 17:05:01

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
    -7700HQ.
    -16GB RAM.
    -GTX 1070.
    -128GB SSD.
    -1X 1TB 7200 spinny drive.

doorules
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4148
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/30 00:14:40 (permalink)

maniacvvv

Like you get to decide who is cheating or not, lol. Here is a hint,  if you so dislike this section of the forums stay out of it.

tet5uo
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2668
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re:Can you get banned for using monitor's crosshair? 2013/06/30 00:50:35 (permalink)
    Bunch of morally bankrupt sociopaths in here. 

The ridiculous examples and justifications you guys are using to rationalize what is clearly an unfair advantage make me sick.

There's a reason that when Asus included a custom driver with their GPU's in 2001  that enabled a built-in wall-hack there was an uproar and they never tried that again.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile