EVGA

Batman Arkham City + 144Hz refresh problem

Author
Wedge120
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/11/23 17:12:22 (permalink)
I recently bought a BenQ XL2720Z monitor and wanted to play Batman Arkham City, but the game crashes to desktop after just a few minutes of play.  I never had this problem before purchasing this monitor, so I am making an assumption that it is related to the high refresh rate, though I could be wrong.

I have tried lowering the refresh rate to 100Hz but get the same result.  I am using a Dual-link DVI cable, and the Nvidia control panel offers 100Hz as the lowest refresh rate.

Can anybody offer a suggestion on how I might troubleshoot this problem?

2 Replies Related Threads

WgregB
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 228
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Batman Arkham City + 144Hz refresh problem 2014/11/23 19:01:04 (permalink)
    What are your PC specs?

ASRock P67 Extreme6 - i5-2500k
    G-Skill Ripjaw 1600 -16GB
    OCZ Vertex 4, OCZ Agility 4, Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003
     Hitachi GST Deskstar 2 TB - Storage
    2-GTX 460 SLI 
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
    Wedge120
    • Total Posts : 8
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Batman Arkham City + 144Hz refresh problem 2014/11/23 19:48:32 (permalink)
    It's amazing what a reboot can do   It seems stable now.  But here is a direct answer to your question:

Windows 7 SP1
    e8400 @ 3.3GHz
    8GB GSkill DDR3 PC1600
    Gigabyte EP45T-USB3P
    EVGA GTX480
    Seagate 500GB Hybrid drive

Here are also a couple tips I found for the sake of others who may experience problems with this game with a high refresh rate monitor.  I performed the following , though nothing seemed to help until I rebooted:

Raise frame rate smoothing
    1. Navigate to configuration file(s) location, usually located in \Documents\.... If you have trouble finding it, see the Game data section in the PCGamingWiki article for that specific game.
    2. Open the XEngine.ini (where X is a game-specific variable) with a text editor.
    3. Using Ctrl+F, search for MaxSmoothedFrameRate in the text file.
      1. The preferred value would be your monitor refresh rate plus 2. For example, when using a 144Hz monitor the value would preferably be set to 146.
      2. Change the relevant config values to this. Be aware that there may be multiple values that need to be changed for a specific game. If you still experience issues, you may have missed some.
    4. Once you've edited all relevant values, save the text file.

Disable frame rate smoothing
    1. Navigate to configuration file(s) location, usually located in \Documents\.... If you have trouble finding it, see the Game data section in the PCGamingWiki article for that specific game.
    2. Open the XEngine.ini (where X is a game-specific variable) with a text editor.
    3. Using Ctrl+F, search and change bSmoothFrameRate to FALSE. Be aware that there may be multiple values that need to be changed for a specific game, be sure to get them all.
    4. Once you've edited all relevant values, save the text file.

source: pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Engine:Unreal_Engine_3#Smoothed_frame_rate

post edited by Wedge120 - 2014/11/23 19:51:12
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile