EVGA

AnsweredAudio Input cuts out when fading

Author
GregFirehawk
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/02/25 04:48:13 (permalink)
Hey guys, I have a device plugged into my microphone port on the card with a volume potentiometer on it. It is supposed to fade smoothly but it doesn't, instead it goes silent for like a full second and comes back. There are some other toggles on the device and they behave similarly, especially at higher volumes. I'm wondering if this is just how the cards circuitry is meant to behave, or if this is a fault like I suspect. I've tested to ensure it is definitely the card itself doing it, and the behavior is consistent across both devices I've tried. Works perfectly fine, but completely loses signal when the volume is being adjusted with the potentiometer, and then comes back a second after it stops. 
EVGATech_ErnieB
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 41
Re: Audio Input cuts out when fading 2021/02/25 17:18:39 (permalink)
What kind of device are you using with the card that has the potentiometer? and what is the desired effect you are trying to go for? the smooth fading in and out? is that correct?
GregFirehawk
Re: Audio Input cuts out when fading 2021/02/26 03:35:54 (permalink)
The device is a guitar. It works perfectly aside from the cut out when adjusting the volume fader. And yes you are correct I'm looking for a smooth continuous adjustment in signal level. If you can help explain why it behaves this way and offer advice I'd appreciate it, thanks
EVGA_Lee
  • Total Posts : 4247
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Audio Input cuts out when fading 2021/03/03 14:19:10 (permalink)
GregFirehawk
The device is a guitar. It works perfectly aside from the cut out when adjusting the volume fader. And yes you are correct I'm looking for a smooth continuous adjustment in signal level. If you can help explain why it behaves this way and offer advice I'd appreciate it, thanks

Can you give me as much information about your equipment, which NU Audio card, any software you're using to measure this, etc.?  

Is there a reason you're not using the Line-In port instead of the microphone port?  For recording a guitar or other professional equipment, I'd suggest the Line-In port, which is designed more for this purpose.
GregFirehawk
Re: Audio Input cuts out when fading 2021/03/03 20:55:21 (permalink)
It's just the normal Nu Audio Card from what I understand, its not the pro or the surround or anything like that. I'm plugging the guitar's 1/4" cable into a 1/8" adapter and then directly into the microphone port. The adaptor is just an analog male to female step down so it can't be the problem given there is sound in the first place. The problem is not software specific as I can see it when monitoring the windows device directly, which is why I suspect it is happening at the card level. The reason I use the microphone port and not the line port is because guitars produce a low voltage signal which is essentially at microphone level, and require amplification. When I plugged it into the line port it was simply too quite. Since the microphone port is designed to handle and boost low signals there shouldn't be any issue with it taking the guitar signal in theory, unless there is some practical limitation on the circuit being used. It does a great job too, aside from the cut out when the potentiometer is being adjusted.

Please let me know if you need any more information from me, and thank you for the help, really appreciate it.
EVGA_Lee
  • Total Posts : 4247
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Audio Input cuts out when fading 2021/03/15 13:52:49 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby GregFirehawk 2021/03/15 22:32:55
Hi Greg,

Our friends at AudioNote had this to say:

"I expect that is the microphone phantom power. As he changes the guitar volume it shunts the mic power to a varying degree, effectively overloading the mic audio input for a second as the various capacitors charge/discharge."
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile