Anthem is implementing DLSS!

Author
remidian
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 430
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2019/01/10 15:12:09 (permalink)
This is good news!  I'm a huge sci-fi nerd and Destiny fan. I'm looking forward to Anthem and seeing DLSS in action. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGe16Zoyrk8

3080 FTW3 Ultra, Hero XIII, 11900k, Samsung 980 PRO 1TB, Acer XB270HU 1440p/144hz, Evga Supernova 1000w platinum. 
Heatware

11 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Anthem is implementing DLSS! 2019/01/10 15:59:10 (permalink)
    What is DLSS?

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Anthem is implementing DLSS! 2019/01/10 16:35:13 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    What is DLSS?

Deep Learning Super Sampling aka A.I. aka Tensor Cores.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Anthem is implementing DLSS! 2019/01/10 18:50:37 (permalink)
    DLSS is Anti-DSR. It’s console technology that lower resolution dynamically. PlayStation and XBox have had it for years without Tensor cores. Nvidia is just trying to impress people with a fancy name.

Does anyone remember DSR anymore? You know, the exact opposite of “DLSS”, where the resolution was made higher for cleaner pictures, rather than lower for higher FPS.

That is DLSS in a nutshell.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Anthem is implementing DLSS! 2019/01/10 19:58:33 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    DLSS is Anti-DSR. It’s console technology that lower resolution dynamically. PlayStation and XBox have had it for years without Tensor cores. Nvidia is just trying to impress people with a fancy name.

Does anyone remember DSR anymore? You know, the exact opposite of “DLSS”, where the resolution was made higher for cleaner pictures, rather than lower for higher FPS.

Thank you

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Anthem is implementing DLSS! 2019/01/10 20:24:32 (permalink)
    I played the Anthem closed alpha and the control configuration for that game was rage inducing for me. Annoying enough that I do not plan on buying it.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Anthem is implementing DLSS! 2019/01/11 03:27:34 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one

I feel it's a good thing since there's a specific section of the silicon that deals with this and therefore increases the FPS while leaving the other sections for designated loads.  Sure it's the opposite of some old tech but redesigned to run more efficiently and RT, the section of reflections but you're coming off as, it should be all together with all the other work loads and this whole thing is a marketing ploy if I understand you correctly.  Maybe these separated sections can now handle even bigger loads leaving you with more FPS instead of all together in a cluster ding.  That's the way I'm seeing it now after reading and viewing some videos on it.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    ewitte
    • Total Posts : 14
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Anthem is implementing DLSS! 2019/01/12 13:41:12 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one

Looks pretty good on mine but I was running it non down sampled (I ran 3840x2160 on a 1440p monitor)
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Anthem is implementing DLSS! 2019/01/12 14:48:54 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    I feel it's a good thing since there's a specific section of the silicon that deals with this and therefore increases the FPS while leaving the other sections for designated loads.  Sure it's the opposite of some old tech but redesigned to run more efficiently and RT, the section of reflections but you're coming off as, it should be all together with all the other work loads and this whole thing is a marketing ploy if I understand you correctly.  Maybe these separated sections can now handle even bigger loads leaving you with more FPS instead of all together in a cluster ding.  That's the way I'm seeing it now after reading and viewing some videos on it.

The tensor cores would be working in conjunction with the GPU cores. The Xbox and PlayStation don’t have tensor cores, so they wait for the frame rate to drop, and then they lower the resolution.

The difference is that the tensor cores would tell the GPU core to lower resolution ahead of time so it doesn’t stutter. The tensor core should be learning when it can lower resolution ahead of time, and knowing when it doesn’t need to. It won’t be freeing up resources on the GPU, it is just lower the load possibility to boost FPS.

At most, I believe it is going give devs more reasons to be lazy with their programming, because the tensor cores will just lower the resolution to “fix” their poor performance.

Yes, I believe this is all a marketing ploy.

In short:
    DLSS with Ray tracing, fairly smart. Ray Tracing is a big hit to performance.

DLSS being used without Ray Tracing is just the devs being lazy. Basically they just allow the GPU to lower the resolution if they are worried about FPS rather than programming the game to run better.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2019/01/12 14:50:58
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Anthem is implementing DLSS! 2019/01/12 16:37:09 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one

In short:
    DLSS with Ray tracing, fairly smart. Ray Tracing is a big hit to performance.

DLSS being used without Ray Tracing is just the devs being lazy. Basically they just allow the GPU to lower the resolution if they are worried about FPS rather than programming the game to run better.

Let's just hope this isn't the case on many big titles but we shall see.

What if this was to relieve time spent for something else?  I mean Idk I'm not a programmer what so ever and will never be lol but maybe this was by design to lessen the load as things get more complicating per say and other things can be given more time spent on.  

post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2019/01/12 16:39:55

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jldowning85
    • Total Posts : 34
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Anthem is implementing DLSS! 2019/01/13 03:59:26 (permalink)
    I was pretty amazed the performance improvements I got with FFXV. Even with my 2080 TI FTW3 was struggling to hit steady 60 fps at 4k. With DLSS it never drops below 60. I guess if you stop the frame and look really close you can see differences which make 4k taa visually better... but honestly I'd gladly use it on games that I can't quite run at 60 fps. 

I'm looking forward to playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider with RTX and DLSS! 
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Anthem is implementing DLSS! 2019/01/13 04:52:24 (permalink)
    It’s simple, run the game at 1440p and you get the same performance as 4K using DLSS.

Also, FFXV is a notoriously bad benchmark, but it’s the only game using DLSS currently available.

I find it pretty funny that it seems like the FFXV programmers almost seem to have purposefully sabotaged TAA to make DLSS look more appealing.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile