ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD vs the EVGA X58 SLI3 MOTHERBOARD

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
HalloweenWeed
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4792
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 37
Re:ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD vs the EVGA X58 SLI3 MOTHERBOARD 2011/07/27 13:34:35 (permalink)
Johhny Doe

rjohnson11EVGA's motherboard quality is equal to or exceeds any other motherboard manufacturer and you get top notch customer support (24/7), better forums, and lots of fun!

I agree on X58, not on P67 though. lol. The Sabertooth is a strange board, it's high quality with ceramic caps yet it can't OC as good as skinnier boards like the SLI3. It's a bit gimmicky, and both actually are good boards. But yes, eVGA is definately the way to go on X58.

He was talking about the Sabertooth X58, NOT the Sabertooth P67, pay attention.

Johhny Doe

The AX1200 is overkill, 850W is all is needed for 570 SLi.

http://www.guru3d.com/art...-gtx-570-sli-review/13

http://www.pccasegear.com...6&products_id=5434

http://www.jonnyguru.com/...;op=Story4&reid=58

Actually, if you do the research you will find that oversized PSUs tend to be more efficient than exact-sized PSUs, meaning less electricity consumption. On big systems like these, with high-end gfx card setups, this can lead to the extra cost of a larger unit being compensated by lower electricity bills. What's more, if you get a PSU closer spec'd, you have no room to upgrade your vid cards to the newer, faster, more power-hungry GPUs. I really think dissing him for not spec'ing his PSU closely is a low-blow Johhny Doe. Get up on the wrong side of the bed this morn?
post edited by HalloweenWeed - 2011/07/27 13:51:47

Main (gaming) rig: i7-3930K; Asus Rampage IV Extreme; H100 W/p-p Excaliburs, AS5; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB.
See my primary ModsRigs: Adam for the rest, and I have a second (wife's) rig Asus Rampage III Extreme & 960: Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.
Johhny Doe
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1700
  • Ribbons : 4
Re:ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD vs the EVGA X58 SLI3 MOTHERBOARD 2011/07/27 13:39:08 (permalink)
HalloweenWeedHe was talking about the Sabertooth X58, NOT the Sabertooth P67, pay attention.

Υou DO realize that I was also talking about the Sabertooth X58, and this whole thread is about X58 mobos?

I was referring to eVGA's P67 fiasco.
Johhny Doe
FTW Member
Re:ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD vs the EVGA X58 SLI3 MOTHERBOARD 2011/07/27 14:00:08 (permalink)
HalloweenWeed

Johhny DoeThe AX1200 is overkill, 850W is all is needed for 570 SLi.

http://www.guru3d.com/art...-gtx-570-sli-review/13

http://www.jonnyguru.com/...;op=Story4&reid=58
Actually, if you do the research you will find that oversized PSUs tend to be more efficient than exact-sized PSUs, meaning less electricity consumption. On big systems like these, with high-end gfx card setups, this can lead to the extra cost of a larger unit being compensated by lower electricity bills. What's more, if you get a PSU closer spec'd, you have no room to upgrade your vid cards to the newer, faster, more power-hungry GPUs. I really think dissing him for not spec'ing his PSU closely is a low-blow Johhny Doe. Get up on the wrong side of the bed this morn?

Wrong, that depends entirely on the unit. And where did I say that? Buying a PSU bigger than your needs is nothing short of ignorance because the unit then wouldn't be able to provide it's first day performance later on, and you'll be throwing away your money for a unit that PERFORMs worse watt-per-watt. Smaller units tend to regulate better than bigger ones. How about you educate yourself from here on out on power requirements? Looks like ΥOU have some problems today, since you came out of nowhere just to bash me with your misinfo.

http://forums.evga.com...95&mpage=1#1083195

*Sorry for the double post.

post edited by Johhny Doe - 2011/07/27 14:04:22
HalloweenWeed
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD vs the EVGA X58 SLI3 MOTHERBOARD 2011/07/27 14:16:42 (permalink)
Actually I think it is a wash between the two boards. Of course W/EVGA you get great support and forums. The Sabertooth still uses BIOS, so no UEFI, no advantage there. From what I have seen, Asus boards don't have a Vreg sensor (correct me if I am wrong PLEASE); and I really want to monitor that esp if I am putting a lot of VTT to the OC. It seems that EVGA boards are more problematic when it comes to using Virtualization and S3. With the Asus boards on S3, the computer wakes up immediately when you shake the mouse (this can be good for most, and bad for others). With the EVGA board, the mouse goes completely dead when in S3 sleep, and sometimes requires hitting the case power button instead of a keyboard key. The Asus board has 3 onboard USB headers - this would be a win for me as I need two for my FP connectors, and one for my memory card reader. The way it is now, I have two dead FP USB receptacles. EVGA claimed to have three, but when I installed it there was only two, the other was just IEEE 1394a ("Firewire"). Thanks for the dead USB receptacles, EVGA, I wouldn't have bought EVGA mobo if I knew that - it was false advertizing. (Don't take this too serious, I know it is just a minor detail, I am not that bitter about it.)

I had an Asus R2E for a month, when my EVGA board was in RMA, and when I bought it it was so showy I felt like a mature man that just bought a showy teen gift for himself. But when I used it for a while, I became very impressed vs EVGA. Yes, I was comparing to the EVGA vanilla board, but still I really liked the R2E. Too bad it had the "warm-boot" problem, I would have liked to have kept it. And Newegg was out of replacements, so I got a refund.

Bottom line: I think the decision between the Sabertooth X58 and EVGA really depends on exactly what you want. Will you use Virtualization? S3 sleep? Do you need 3 USB headers?

Main (gaming) rig: i7-3930K; Asus Rampage IV Extreme; H100 W/p-p Excaliburs, AS5; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB.
See my primary ModsRigs: Adam for the rest, and I have a second (wife's) rig Asus Rampage III Extreme & 960: Eve.

HalloweenWeed
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD vs the EVGA X58 SLI3 MOTHERBOARD 2011/07/27 15:12:45 (permalink)
Johhny Doe I think you have some reading to do. I thought like you do about PSU efficiency until several forumites corrected me on a thread just over a year ago.
In this graph you can see how efficiency drops as the load approaches the PSU rating, Cooler Master UCP 900W power supply:

You can read the rest at:
Anandtech: Debunking Power Supply Myths - page 3

TomsHardware: Calculating Power Supply Performance
"the optimal range lies between 65% and 85% load."

OverclockersClub: Corsair TX750 V2 750W & TX850 V2 850W Power Supply Review
Specifically I am referring to the two tables in the middle where it shows the PSU efficiency at different loads. Notice the dropoff at the higher loads. The PSUs do much better at near 50%.

Wikipedia: Power supply unit (computer)
"Efficiency generally peaks at about 50-75% load."

Wikipedia: 80 PLUS
"For a given power supply, efficiency varies depending on how much power is being delivered. Supplies are typically most efficient at between half and three quarters load, much less efficient at low load, and somewhat less efficient at maximum load."

What's more, you just about can't use a PSU's maximum wattage with multi-rail PSUs bc you would have to balance all the load just right in order to do so*, and with the vid cards taking so much power nowadays, that's pretty much impossible on a standard PC system.
*i.e. you would have to get exactly the right wattage draw on each of all the rails simultaneously.
It's better to oversize your PSU than find out that your vid card draws too much power on one or two rails. This is besides the point made above about the PSU wattage sizing and efficiency.
post edited by HalloweenWeed - 2011/07/27 15:19:10

Johhny Doe
FTW Member
Re:ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD vs the EVGA X58 SLI3 MOTHERBOARD 2011/07/27 15:24:16 (permalink)
Where did I say PSU's aren't most efficient around that percentage? Υou told me a bigger PSU is more efficient than a smaller one, which is plain wrong because it depends on the compared units. Also, that %50 efficiencу уou talk about would happen at loads, not in idle. What matters are the idle efficiencies, not load. Because уou won't be loading the PSU all the time. Bigger units usuallу have worse idle efficiencies than smaller ones due to their capacitу, and, look here then tell me how he's going to make up for the price difference.

http://www.pccasegear.com...&products_id=15244

First off, the TPQ performs better. Add top of that уour talking about multi rail is complete nonsense because OCP set-points are set so HIGH it's impossible to shutdown a unit in regular waуs. I've уet to shutdown a PSU that waу and I even mixed rails in the past уears on various configs such as HD 2900 CF / 285 SLi and PhуsX cards on multi rail units. Multi rail WORKS, and when it does, it works BETTER than уour obsessive single rail nonsense. Educate уourself, reallу.
HalloweenWeed
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD vs the EVGA X58 SLI3 MOTHERBOARD 2011/07/27 15:41:14 (permalink)
Johhny Doe

Where did I say PSU's aren't most efficient around that percentage? Υou told me a bigger PSU is more efficient than a smaller one, which is plain wrong because it depends on the compared units. Also, that %50 efficiencу уou talk about would happen at loads, not in idle. What matters are the idle efficiencies, not load. Because уou won't be loading the PSU all the time. Bigger units usuallу have worse idle efficiencies than smaller ones due to their capacitу, and, look here then tell me how he's going to make up for the price difference.

No, I was saying 50% load, not 50% efficiency. Read a little more carefully plz. At 50% - 75% load you get a real good efficiency, which you would have known if you read the material. I was saying to oversize the PSU (25%) to:
A. Hit a good efficiency.
B. Leave room for future upgrades.
It becomes expensive to replace your PSU on every upgrade.

Johhny Doe

Add top of that уour talking about multi rail is complete nonsense because OCP set-points are set so HIGH it's impossible to shutdown a unit in regular waуs. I've уet to shutdown a PSU that waу and I even mixed rails in the past уears on various configs such as HD 2900 CF / 285 SLi and PhуsX cards on multi rail units. Multi rail WORKS, and when it does, it works BETTER than уour obsessive single rail nonsense. Educate уourself, reallу.

OK I must take your word for that since I have not read anything about the load on the rails thing.

I read your material, would you please have enough respect to read the material I posted?
post edited by HalloweenWeed - 2011/07/27 15:45:04

Johhny Doe
FTW Member
Re:ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD vs the EVGA X58 SLI3 MOTHERBOARD 2011/07/27 15:48:35 (permalink)
HalloweenWeedNo, I was saying 50% load, not 50% efficiency. Read a little more carefully plz. At 50% - 75% load you get a real good efficiency, which you would have known if you read the material. I was saying to oversize the PSU (25%) to:
A. Hit a good efficiency.
B. Leave room for future upgrades.
It becomes expensive to replace your PSU on every upgrade.

Υou know we're talking about the same thing, eh? "Oversizing" the PSU would only make you lose from "idle efficiencies" and cause capacitor aging for nothing.

HalloweenWeedOK I must take your word for that since I have not read anything about the load on the rails thing.

http://forums.evga.com/fb.ashx?m=1138574

-I'd have been more polite if you haven't attacked me for no reason.
HalloweenWeed
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD vs the EVGA X58 SLI3 MOTHERBOARD 2011/07/27 15:53:38 (permalink)
Johhny Doe

The way I see it you attacked Anti-dew for no reason. He's trying to compare mobo's and you jump in and diss him for using an oversize PSU! And you also compare it to a third mobo, of different chipset and socket, apples to oranges. Srry if you feel I attacked you, I just objected to such inappropriate advice to Anti-dew.
post edited by HalloweenWeed - 2011/07/27 15:58:21

Johhny Doe
FTW Member
Re:ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD vs the EVGA X58 SLI3 MOTHERBOARD 2011/07/27 16:02:55 (permalink)
HalloweenWeed

Johhny Doe

The way I see it you attacked Anti-dew for no reason. He's trying to compare mobo's and you jump in and diss him for using an oversize PSU! And you also compare it to a third mobo, of different chipset, apples to oranges. Srry if you feel I attacked you, I just objected to such inappropriate advice to Anti-dew.

HalloweenWeedI really think dissing him for not spec'ing his PSU closely is a low-blow Johhny Doe. Get up on the wrong side of the bed this morn?

What are you smoking? I suggested him more than one mobo and, because he was rebuilding (thinking of a new PSU), I gave him a better suggestion. Υou know what? Υou keep on thinking the Antec is crap because it has a 80 mm fan, racing stripes and is multi rail, when I know it creates an air turbine to cool better and makes the unit work safer. The AX1200 is a great unit, because it's huge, all black and Corsair/single rail. That's how much you know on this subject. (I've also known PSU's are most efficient around that load range for years) By the way, drop off the pipe.
HalloweenWeed
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD vs the EVGA X58 SLI3 MOTHERBOARD 2011/07/27 18:56:16 (permalink)
Johhny Doe

What are you smoking? I suggested him more than one mobo and, because he was rebuilding (thinking of a new PSU), I gave him a better suggestion. Υou know what? Υou keep on thinking the Antec is crap because it has a 80 mm fan, racing stripes and is multi rail, when I know it creates an air turbine to cool better and makes the unit work safer. The AX1200 is a great unit, because it's huge, all black and Corsair/single rail. That's how much you know on this subject. (I've also known PSU's are most efficient around that load range for years) By the way, drop off the pipe.

Yeah, I missed that post from him. Srry, please accept my apology? But I never said anything negative about Antec, nor stripes. Yeah, I should quit that.

Anti-dew
  • Total Posts : 35
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD vs the EVGA X58 SLI3 MOTHERBOARD 2011/07/28 08:09:48 (permalink)
hey guys got the ASUS P6X58D-E DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD hope it's job 

Anti-dew
  • Total Posts : 35
Re:ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD vs the EVGA X58 SLI3 MOTHERBOARD 2011/07/28 08:51:26 (permalink)
Dudes whats is going on here. if you have seen ANTCE case it's ****ing big and its heavy i mean too heavy. i don't plan to lan because **** gets **** up well most of the time. And plus i want a big PSU so i don't have too keep buying one as my computer gets even better.

""Actually, if you do the research you will find that oversized PSUs tend to be more efficient than exact-sized PSUs, meaning less electricity consumption. On big systems like these, with high-end gfx card setups, this can lead to the extra cost of a larger unit being compensated by lower electricity bills. What's more, if you get a PSU closer spec'd, you have no room to upgrade your vid cards to the newer, faster, more power-hungry GPUs.""

well its tru GPU are getting power hungry
the GTX 590 Minimum of a 700 Watt power supply
 the GTX 580 Minimum of a 600 Watt power supply
the GTX 570 Minimum of a 550 power supply.

To me big PSU like the AX 1200W or the 1050W Corsair  is not really overkill with GPU are getting bigger 

Antce are good case and PSU are ok  but what i've read multi rail there is not much different TO WHAT I HAVE READ

Power Supply Specifications

CMPSU-1200AX AC Input 90-264V ~ 15A 50/60Hz DC Output +3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5Vsb Max. Current 30A 30A 100.4A 0.8A 3.5A Max Combined Wattage 180W 1204.8W 9.6W 17.5W 1204 @ 50°C ambient temperature

Power Supply Charts

to deliver at least 90% efficiency at 50% load

as the ANTEC is  - 85% or more efficiency at 20%, 50%, and 100% load

So now PSU Corsair, ANTCE, Coolermaster, THERMALTAKE, THORTECH THUNDERBOLT, XFX CORE EDITION and i wish EVGA made out that would be AWESOME! as well how big 650 to 1200W 

Future RIG

i7 960 @ 3.7
SLI GTX 570 SC might got 3 way
16 Gigs 3 corsair
corsair H100 cpu cooler
1 500 hd
2 2t
and a backup 4 T hd

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102406
  • Ribbons : 85
Re:ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD vs the EVGA X58 SLI3 MOTHERBOARD 2011/07/28 09:15:31 (permalink)
OK. cursing, even if disguised is not allowed in the forums.

If there is another violation in this thread it will be locked. Most everyone has been professional in posting and that's appreciated. Please try and keep that same attitude.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Johhny Doe
FTW Member
Re:ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD vs the EVGA X58 SLI3 MOTHERBOARD 2011/07/28 14:42:50 (permalink)
Anti-dewDudes whats is going on here. if you have seen ANTCE case it's ****ing big and its heavy i mean too heavy. i don't plan to lan because **** gets **** up well most of the time. And plus i want a big PSU so i don't have too keep buying one as my computer gets even better.

The weight of an Antec case doesn't have anything to do with the weight of their PSU.

Anti-dewwell its tru GPU are getting power hungry
the GTX 590 Minimum of a 700 Watt power supply
the GTX 580 Minimum of a 600 Watt power supply
the GTX 570 Minimum of a 550 power supply.

To me big PSU like the AX 1200W or the 1050W Corsair  is not really overkill with GPU are getting bigger 

Antce are good case and PSU are ok  but what i've read multi rail there is not much different TO WHAT I HAVE READ

Please compare the power requirements for GTX 400 series to 500. Υou'd see that parts need lesser and lesser power on lower manufactoring processes. Buying a "big PSU" is something an uninformed individual would do. As for the rails, multi is safer because it divides the load over rails against failures. So if your PSU shorts out with single, you'll lose most parts. If it shorts out on multi, you'll only lose the part on one rail (mostly).

Anti-dewCMPSU-1200AX AC Input 90-264V ~ 15A 50/60Hz DC Output +3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5Vsb Max. Current 30A 30A 100.4A 0.8A 3.5A Max Combined Wattage 180W 1204.8W 9.6W 17.5W 1204 @ 50°C ambient temperature

to deliver at least 90% efficiency at 50% load

as the ANTEC is  - 85% or more efficiency at 20%, 50%, and 100% load

So now PSU Corsair, ANTCE, Coolermaster, THERMALTAKE, THORTECH THUNDERBOLT, XFX CORE EDITION and i wish EVGA made out that would be AWESOME! as well how big 650 to 1200W 

Future RIG

i7 960 @ 3.7
SLI GTX 570 SC might got 3 way
16 Gigs 3 corsair
corsair H100 cpu cooler
1 500 hd
2 2t
and a backup 4 T hd

Efficiency isn't as important as performance. Go with the TPQ-850. It's a better unit than the rest of the choices you have there, and is perfectly enough for that setup as well as the replacement for the 570 in the future.

http://forums.evga.com...95&mpage=1#1083195
ericlmar
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 225
Re:ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD vs the EVGA X58 SLI3 MOTHERBOARD 2011/08/31 17:13:41 (permalink)
i want to fold as well. actually deciding on either one of these boards. i'm siding with EVGA since i have the older version (not the SLI-3). and i like EVGA's RMA services. are there any advantages to a 24/7/365 folding@home rig for ASUS vs EVGA?

EVGA X79 SLI | i7-3930K @ 4.2GHz (auto VCore) | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 1333MHz @ stock | EVGA GTX 680 x2 @ stock | Corsair Force GT 240GB SATA3 RAID 0 (OS & games) | Western Digital 1TB SATA3 (Storage) | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair 800D | Corsair H100 CPU cooler
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile