AMD releases a new GPU driver to enhance mining performance stability

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102323
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2017/08/16 03:21:53 (permalink)
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/amd_releases_a_new_gpu_driver_to_enhance_mining_performance_stability/1

Looks like AMD has released a new mining driver for Cryptocurrency miners. This driver is NOT intended for gaming. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

4 Replies Related Threads

panzlock
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1736
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: AMD releases a new GPU driver to enhance mining performance stability 2017/08/16 07:20:46 (permalink)
    I never doubted that AMD had no intention of deterring miners.
    redleader00
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 906
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: AMD releases a new GPU driver to enhance mining performance stability 2017/08/16 10:09:59 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/amd_releases_a_new_gpu_driver_to_enhance_mining_performance_stability/1

Looks like AMD has released a new mining driver for Cryptocurrency miners. This driver is NOT intended for gaming. 

Wonder if AMD will release a mining pack. Get an RX Vega + Ryzen cpu + AMD mining board and get a discount.

QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 946
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: AMD releases a new GPU driver to enhance mining performance stability 2017/08/16 11:26:30 (permalink)
    Why would miners waste money on a Ryzen (perhaps IF they plan to mine Monero on it, but not really worth doing that unless you already HAVE the CPU for other reasons like gaming or workstation usage).

All of the "mining" boards of late have been Intel based - and I don't see Ryzen changing that for a while.

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
     I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 946
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: AMD releases a new GPU driver to enhance mining performance stability 2017/08/22 14:36:11 (permalink)
    BTW - tried this out of curiosity (and because it has the widest GPU support of any driver version out of AMD that includes RX series support).

A10-7860K and a pair of R9 290 - the R9s are SPECIFICALLY listed on the support list, the A10 is unclear but SEEMS to be covered by the "R7 graphics" comments AND IS STILL A CURRENTLY IN PRODUCTION APU.
     Windows 7.
     Fresh from-scratch install.

Driver did not recognise the A10 iGPU AT ALL, and DID NOT WORK on the R9 cards - GPU-Z showed it as being installed, but NO OPENCL SUPPORT.
     Tried updating via Device Manager - no change, "the drivers are current".

Completely destroys the entire reason for this driver version if it doesn't support OpenCL.

I was TICKED OFF enough about it that I spent the time sending AMD feedback about the issues - and included commentary about "why did this show up first for Windows when MOST MINING MACHINES RUN LINUX".

Congratulations AMD, you've just about got me to the point of ignoring anything past the RX 4xx series (which has WORKING drivers in the 16.9.2 WHQL version that also work well with older cards AND APUs).

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
     I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile