EVGA

Helpful Reply3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool!

Page: << < ..41424344 > Showing page 41 of 44
Author
DZelmer
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 219
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/07/26 13:36:20 (permalink)
Don't forget to radius the one edge that next to the water block fitting on the back that is just a little to close for most of ek's fittings!
iamjanco
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 184
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/07/26 13:46:41 (permalink)
elbramsoOMG! Nice project! Please keep us updated.
Would you mind sharing the dxf file for the copper backplate?

Thanks. But it's a prototype, and I don't share my dev files.

DZelmerDon't forget to radius the one edge that next to the water block fitting on the back that is just a little to close for most of ek's fittings!

It's got a radius that's pretty much aligned with the oem backplate. But even if it ends up being a tight fit, I've got the tools here to adjust for that. Also, if need be, I'll use a small extension that gets around the problem experienced using EK fittings. I'm using Bitspower fittings, btw.
post edited by iamjanco - 2021/07/26 14:19:09

While you can beat a dead horse as much as you like,
you might have a tough time arguing with one.
DZelmer
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/07/26 14:17:37 (permalink)
iamjanco

DZelmerDon't forget to radius the one edge that next to the water block fitting on the back that is just a little to close for most of ek's fittings!

It's got a radius that's pretty much aligned with the oem backplate. But even if ends up being a tight fit, I've got the tools here to adjust for that. Also, if need be, I'll use a small extension that gets around the problem experienced using EK fittings. I'm using Bitspower fittings, btw.

Awesome! How are the bitspower fittings i was looking at some of them but wasn't sure about quality and what not? I have been having a hard time finding the ek fittings at least all in the same color and or in stock...looks like ek finally has most of them in stock again if i make another good size order. shipping from uk kills any savings on any thing less less than a big pile of fittings.
iamjanco
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/07/26 15:50:49 (permalink)
DZelmerHow are the bitspower fittings i was looking at some of them but wasn't sure about quality and what not? I have been having a hard time finding the ek fittings at least all in the same color and or in stock...looks like ek finally has most of them in stock again if i make another good size order. shipping from uk kills any savings on any thing less less than a big pile of fittings.

I imagine that depends of the type of fittings we're talking about. I've never had a problem with Bitspower fittings in general and I've got a lot of them (though I do use Koolance quick disconnects). It's likely more a matter of personal preference, coupled with reported reliability and aftermarket support. I do know that at least for a while there some people were reporting issues with the plating on EK items. There's also the relatively recent reports of problems with customer service, but a number of those of anecdotal. 

post edited by iamjanco - 2021/07/26 21:16:28

elbramso
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 192
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/07/26 23:34:31 (permalink)
iamjanco

Thanks anyway^^ I'll hope this will work for you and if it does I may take my time to measure the backplate myself ;)

RTX 3090 K|NGP|N OPTIMUS BLOCK, 10900K on Z490 MAXIMUS HERO, 32GB DDR4 3200@3800, Custom loop: 2x 560 + 480 rads, dual pump
pcgamerv2
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/07/27 18:59:04 (permalink)
iamjanco

It's got a radius that's pretty much aligned with the oem backplate. But even if it ends up being a tight fit, I've got the tools here to adjust for that. Also, if need be, I'll use a small extension that gets around the problem experienced using EK fittings. I'm using Bitspower fittings, btw.

Looking forward to this project. I considered going that route but ended up skipping to getting a mp5 block. To get around the clearance issue I just grinded away 1mm from the backplate using a mini drum sander Dremel attachment so EK Quantum fittings work.

On the topic of thermal pads I have been following this thread since the beginning. For my new build I decided to go the Optimus route by laying down a huge thermal pad. I used varying thickness based on my measurements.

MLCC Height: 1.24 mm
VRAM Height: 1 mm
SMD Capacitors Height: 2.0 mm

Starting with EVGA's recommendation of 2.5mm I decided to use that in all areas with vram and mlcc. I measured and drew cutouts around areas containing SMD Capacitors because they are 1mm taller on average. I sized down to 2mm for all other places with these SMD caps.

After installing this much thermal pad I tightened the backplate screws over the day. I tightened snug and after few hours the screws became a bit loose due to compression on thermal pads. Tightened a bit more and repeat 3 times until it is nicely snug against the components and even grabbing heat from the PCB. That should in theory help cool the front components too.

Temps pending because this very special build is almost ready. Missing one offset fitting >.<
DZelmer
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/07/27 22:27:49 (permalink)
pcgamerv2
iamjanco

Looking forward to this project. I considered going that route but ended up skipping to getting a mp5 block. To get around the clearance issue I just grinded away 1mm from the backplate using a mini drum sander Dremel attachment so EK Quantum fittings work.

On the topic of thermal pads I have been following this thread since the beginning. For my new build I decided to go the Optimus route by laying down a huge thermal pad. I used varying thickness based on my measurements.

Starting with EVGA's recommendation of 2.5mm I decided to use that in all areas with vram and mlcc. I measured and drew cutouts around areas containing SMD Capacitors because they are 1mm taller on average. I sized down to 2mm for all other places with these SMD caps.

After installing this much thermal pad I tightened the backplate screws over the day. I tightened snug and after few hours the screws became a bit loose due to compression on thermal pads. Tightened a bit more and repeat 3 times until it is nicely snug against the components and even grabbing heat from the PCB. That should in theory help cool the front components too.

Temps pending because this very special build is almost ready. Missing one offset fitting >.<

Looking good let us know how the temps are 🤞
elbramso
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/07/27 22:53:52 (permalink)
pcgamerv2
iamjanco

would you mind to explain what clearence issue you got with the ek fittings? As I have an mp5works bpc myself - is it hard to mount it to the the backplate with these clips? Is there even a gap between the backplate and the pcb? 

post edited by elbramso - 2021/07/28 01:48:51

RTX 3090 K|NGP|N OPTIMUS BLOCK, 10900K on Z490 MAXIMUS HERO, 32GB DDR4 3200@3800, Custom loop: 2x 560 + 480 rads, dual pump
pcgamerv2
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/07/28 06:17:07 (permalink)
It was a bit of a pain to get the mp5 block mounted. First the quantum fittings are large so it was not able to screw it in with the backplate installed. I sanded away just a mm in the marked area for it to work. Note that to get around that your can either use a regular slimmer fitting or skip the 90° altogether.

Like you said, there is no gap between the PCB and backplate so I had to cut 2mm notches where the clips would land. With a little touch up paint it looks OEM. I really took the time to do them neatly.

This is how the clips fit after adding the notches

The clip bungees all had to be shortened and re-done to length

With all this the mounting pressure is quite a lot and the block will not budge in any orientation. In my case it will be vertical
elbramso
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/07/28 06:44:22 (permalink)
pcgamerv2
It was a bit of a pain to get the mp5 block mounted. First the quantum fittings are large so it was not able to screw it in with the backplate installed. I sanded away just a mm in the marked area for it to work. Note that to get around that your can either use a regular slimmer fitting or skip the 90° altogether.

Like you said, there is no gap between the PCB and backplate so I had to cut 2mm notches where the clips would land. With a little touch up paint it looks OEM. I really took the time to do them neatly.

With all this the mounting pressure is quite a lot and the block will not budge in any orientation. In my case it will be vertical

Thanks a lot! Very helpful.
I guess I'd rather no cut my backplate - just in case I have to RMA

DZelmer
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/07/30 22:05:20 (permalink)
elbramso
pcgamerv2

Thanks a lot! Very helpful.
I guess I'd rather no cut my backplate - just in case I have to RMA

You did a real real good job on that i have seen machine shops that couldn't do that nice of a job!
pcgamerv2
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/07/31 10:14:36 (permalink)
DZelmer

You did a real real good job on that i have seen machine shops that couldn't do that nice of a job!

Cheers, thank you :) Just a lot of patience and a aluminum oxide grinding wheel attachment on the dremel

Results are in! I am very pleased with them. Coming from the hybrid cooling these numbers are insanely low. Unfortunately I do not have a before and after doing the thermal pads only because this is a brand new build. 

BEFORE:

Stock temps under mining load:

Temps under mining load with full coverage backplate heatsinks and 2x 90mm noctuas blowing at 100%

AFTER:

*Load temps taking over 1 hour usage

Mining load:

Cyberpunk 2077:

CoD Warzone:

This build is very special and I am still working on doing a writeup on it before making it public. Stay tuned ;)
DZelmer
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/07/31 11:15:55 (permalink)
Nice and low hopefully my results will be that good also when i get this mess of a loop done!
pcgamerv2
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/07/31 21:39:15 (permalink)
Keep us posted on how the build goes. Mine took nearly 3 months haha

Had some time to do more testing and thought I would share the temps. It is pretty amusing to see the CPU and GPU temps in sync

Ambient Temp: 22
Idle Coolant Temp: 24
Flow Rate: 2 L/min
+100 Core

Cyberpunk (1/2 hour session)
Fluid Temp 29
CPU Temp: 43
GPU Temp: 43
GPU Hot Spot: 59
Mem Junction: 53
GPU Clock: 2115Mhz solid

Warzone: (1/2 hour session)
Fluid Temp 29
CPU Temp: 42
GPU Temp: 42
GPU Hot Spot: 60
Memory Junction: 52

Mining: 6 hours
+1500 on memory
GPU Avg: 37
GPU Hot spot: 52
Memory Junction: 73
MEM1: 43
MEM2:43
MEM3: 46

-----------------------

Ambient Temp: 24
Idle Coolant Temp: 26
Flow Rate: 2 L/min
+100 Core

Forza Horizon 4 (2 hour session)
Fluid Temp 31
CPU Temp Avg: 45
GPU Temp Avg: 45
GPU Hot Spot: 61
MemJunc: 56
iamjanco
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/08/01 14:45:37 (permalink)
Getting there (just an update):

I'll probably go over it with GORD's one more time and call it ready for mounting. Going to track thermals and flow using this setup with the Hydro Copper block, then bump them against the readings I take using the Optimus Active block set.
post edited by iamjanco - 2021/08/01 14:58:43

Attached Image(s)

Jimlolo
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/08/01 14:58:45 (permalink)

post edited by Jimlolo - 2021/08/01 15:09:42
kraade
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2369
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/08/01 15:10:52 (permalink)
Nice work 
DZelmer
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/08/01 20:25:47 (permalink)
iamjanco

I'll probably go over it with GORD's one more time and call it ready for mounting. Going to track thermals and flow using this setup with the Hydro Copper block, then bump them against the readings I take using the Optimus Active block set.

very nice! looks like it got some polishing!! 
DZelmer
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/08/01 21:22:10 (permalink)
Any of you using the mp5 works back plate cooler after putting it on is the back plate even warm after mining or several hours of gaming? I haven't got my solid copper backplates made yet. The last piece im waiting for.
Zakuharpoon
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/08/02 09:23:33 (permalink)
I might be extremely late, I've noticed from how my computer is that there is not much air moving at the top of my gpu when mounted horizontally and it's getting pretty hot thus I am planning to put a heatsink on the top of the gpu just to provide more cooling.

So I'm thinking of having it set up like so: 
Fan (blowing down):  
Heatsink (big boys):  
Thermal pad (unsure of size, 2mm as default):  OR  

Should I use this thermal tape cut to cover the whole heat sink? Is it pretty difficult to remove if I do not like it? 
Tape:  

Thanks for all the information guys, appreciate it. 

RIP links
post edited by Zakuharpoon - 2021/08/02 09:25:37
pcgamerv2
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/08/02 13:30:43 (permalink)
iamjanco

That's gorgeous! Well done. I wish I could get that plate too for my copper build : D
DZelmer
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/08/02 19:18:09 (permalink)
Zakuharpoon
I might be extremely late, I've noticed from how my computer is that there is not much air moving at the top of my gpu when mounted horizontally and it's getting pretty hot thus I am planning to put a heatsink on the top of the gpu just to provide more cooling.

So I'm thinking of having it set up like so: 
Fan (blowing down):  
Heatsink (big boys):  
Thermal pad (unsure of size, 2mm as default):  OR  

Should I use this thermal tape cut to cover the whole heat sink? Is it pretty difficult to remove if I do not like it? 
Tape:  

Thanks for all the information guys, appreciate it. 

RIP links

Personally i would go with thermal pads until you figure out if you like it or not i think thermal tape was only slightly better than just sitting on the backplate with no paste or pad. Thinner the pad the better also. @Dabadger posted a lot of results not sure if you can search these threads for different peoples posts. There are a lot of pages thats for sure!
Fayalite
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 253
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/08/02 22:55:47 (permalink)
DZelmer
Any of you using the mp5 works back plate cooler after putting it on is the back plate even warm after mining or several hours of gaming? I haven't got my solid copper backplates made yet. The last piece im waiting for.

I am, currently in game for more than an hour, temps:
GPU frequency: 2115 (almost constant)
Meme clock: 1319
Meme usage 4059MB(not sure if relevant, but maybe for the meme temp, yes 20GB useless 🤣)
GPU 48C
Hot spot 59C
Memory junction 64C
Board power draw avg 450W

Have a loop just for the KP, with about 1L of liquid, and a 420mm rad 45mm thick on a ddc. Did not repasted yet or repad, that will be on my next flush, and will go liquid metal + all fujipoly.

That backplate is at pretty warm finger touch.

Here is how I set it up:
http://imgur.com/gallery/3IkoK56
post edited by Fayalite - 2021/08/02 22:58:39

DZelmer
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/08/02 23:17:02 (permalink)
Fayalite
DZelmer

Meme usage 4059MB(not sure if relevant, but maybe for the meme temp, yes 20GB useless 🤣)
GPU 48C
Hot spot 59C
Memory junction 64C

Have a loop just for the KP, with about 1L of liquid, and a 420mm rad 45mm thick on a ddc. Did not repasted yet or repad, that will be on my next flush, and will go liquid metal + all fujipoly.

Here is how I set it up:

Thank you! that was exactly what i needed to know!

edit: as compared to before the backplate cooler. the back plate would almost burn us! after mining for a few hours i couldn't even touch mine it would burn me!
post edited by DZelmer - 2021/08/02 23:19:22
Fayalite
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 253
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/08/03 00:03:20 (permalink)
DZelmer
Fayalite
DZelmer

GPU 48C
Hot spot 59C
Memory junction 64C

Here is how I set it up:

Thank you! that was exactly what i needed to know!

edit: as compared to before the backplate cooler. the back plate would almost burn us! after mining for a few hours i couldn't even touch mine it would burn me!

Yup I don't have any data on before the mp5works unfortunately, but I was not able to leave my finger on it... Too hot (mem junction was at 80ish with 25 ambiant without it).

tps34433
  • Total Posts : 70
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/08/09 00:26:39 (permalink)
Hey everyone. I am hoping someone could shine some light on my situation. My memory temps, and TJmax memory temps are super good! it’s my GPU temps that are pure crap!! I have already re-mounted the block again too.

The stock factory KP HC pads are actually Ziitec 13mk/w thermal pads. They are not cheap by any means. My hottest memory TJmax is around 64C

Why do my GPU temps suck so bad though???. But, I have (3) 360mm radiators with 2.75mm H2O static pressure treasure fans maxed out on a totally open case, and a single EKWB D5 at 4150RPM my radiators are 28mm thick/28mm thick/20.5mm thick.

My water temp is about 29C right now inside the reservoir. And this GPU-Z screen shot is running Cyberpunk 2077 for 1 hour straight.

25c+ delta over water seems crazy!!  Is my KPX paste layer too thin?

I feel as if I should grab some 1.5MM Fujipoly 17 pads for the memory around the die to get better die to block contact. One 360 rad is in the bottom of my case, push pull 120’s, and the fans blow the 3090 Kingpin Hydro Copper waterblock.  This is at only 405 watts max and still 54.5C GPU temps 

Jimlolo
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/08/09 00:46:59 (permalink)
Hi, Maybe 2145mhz... and in stock?
DZelmer
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/08/09 00:57:03 (permalink)
tps34433
Hey everyone. I am hoping someone could shine some light on my situation. My memory temps, and TJmax memory temps are super good! it’s my GPU temps that are pure crap!! I have already re-mounted the block again too.

The stock factory KP HC pads are actually Ziitec 13mk/w thermal pads. They are not cheap by any means. My hottest memory TJmax is around 64C

Why do my GPU temps suck so bad though???. But, I have (3) 360mm radiators with 2.75mm H2O static pressure treasure fans maxed out on a totally open case, and a single EKWB D5 at 4150RPM my radiators are 28mm thick/28mm thick/20.5mm thick.

My water temp is about 29C right now inside the reservoir. And this GPU-Z screen shot is running Cyberpunk 2077 for 1 hour straight.

25c+ delta over water seems crazy!!  Is my KPX paste layer too thin?

I feel as if I should grab some 1.5MM Fujipoly 17 pads for the memory around the die to get better die to block contact. One 360 rad is in the bottom of my case, push pull 120’s, and the fans blow the 3090 Kingpin Hydro Copper waterblock.  This is at only 405 watts max and still 54.5C GPU temps 

If the pads your using are to hard i would go with not getting good die pressure? sounds like your using the stock pads? what paste are you using. Push on the back plate right in the middle of the gpu die and see if the temp changes under load. if it goes down even a deg or two you will have your answer. you should have a pretty good size pad on the back plate there also so pushing on it will add a little more pressure and see what happens. Might take a min or two for the temp to change...If it dose.
elbramso
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/08/09 01:51:36 (permalink)
To all the people with good working HC block, how much flow rate do you have?
Installed my HC kit recently and don't see much improvement on gpu temps over the hybrid version.
I'm just wondering why...

Under full load (600w) I've a delta of 25c. I did not use stock thermal pads or paste. I already re-seated the block but temps are high...

As my temps rise quickly (3 seconds) from idle 25c (water 24c) to 46-48c under full load (600w), I'd say that's due to bad contact but I checked it already :(

Further I don't know if better thermal pads on the back help this much. I mean using the best pads in the world on the gpu backside won't make a 10c difference, right?

DZelmer
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/08/09 02:22:19 (permalink)
I will admit the hybrid aio dose a real good job on what it cools. it's lacking a little on the memory but for what it is it dose do real good job!
Page: << < ..41424344 > Showing page 41 of 44
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile