EVGA

3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up?

Author
aelnegres
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/11/19 08:51:27 (permalink)
Does anyone notice that the fans ramp up to max every now and then for like a split second then go back to normal? I've noticed that in games the fans will do this a lot, and I feel like it's def a software or firmware issue.

Upon looking at px1, I've noticed that the fans will ramp up to an insane number for a split second, like 10k+ rpm (which is obviously a bug) then back down to normal. When this happens I can hear the fans ramp up, then slow down again. Anyone got any clue as to how I can fix this.

26 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/19 09:05:52 (permalink)
    If it happens without PX1 (or afterburner) open, then your best bet is to contact EVGA's tech support for an RMA: https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/ 

You are on the latest nvidia driver right? 457.30 - if so, you could try 456.71 or hotfix 456.98 to see if the newer drivers cause this (but I doubt it).
    Saltgrass
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 212
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/19 09:36:38 (permalink)
    You did do the firmware update?

Make sure the airflow in your system does not allow the hot air expelled toward the side of the case is not feeding back into the cooling fans..

W11 x64
    Asus Maximus Hero XIII
    Intel i9 11900K
     EVGA RTX 3090 FTW Ultra
     32 GB G.Skill 4000.
    yaxus
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/19 09:51:33 (permalink)
    Yep, happens on my FTW3090 as well and it's incredibly annoying.
    When the fans ramp up, GPU-Z shows 20,000 rpm.
    My RMA card from EVGA is already on it's way to me via UPS and I hope this one will be fine.

aelnegres
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/19 11:11:17 (permalink)
    I would RMA but I already RMA'd once because the first card I got had insane coil whine. Also I'm outside of the first 30 days, so I won't receive a new card anymore, only a used one. I'd rather not risk getting a used card that is all scratched up or has terrible coil whine or something.

I genuinely feel like this can't be a hardware issue, it's gotta be due to software or firmware. I feel like EVGA could fix it in X1 or with a firmware update.
    yaxus
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/19 11:22:13 (permalink)
    My guess is that it's a defect component on the card that's causing the nonsensical fan speeds.
    The RMA card that's currently in transit to me has a lower serial number than my current card (2012xx vs 2014xx), I hope that that's not a bad sign but I suppose I will find out when I get the card.
    kingofpeanuts
    • Total Posts : 99
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/19 16:34:54 (permalink)
    This sounds it could be card issue. May need to RMA it.
    Vrbas
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/19 18:04:50 (permalink)
    Exact same issue with mine FTW 3080, Already RMAd and now the new card does it. Tried in a different system still does it. For sure an issue just not sure if card or driver related. 
    aelnegres
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/19 18:42:06 (permalink)
    Vrbas
    Exact same issue with mine FTW 3080, Already RMAd and now the new card does it. Tried in a different system still does it. For sure an issue just not sure if card or driver related. 

I genuinely think its a driver issue. Because its not like the fans aren't working. They just ramp up to high rpm for a second then back to normal. 
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/19 18:46:15 (permalink)
    aelnegres
    Vrbas

I genuinely think its a driver issue. Because its not like the fans aren't working. They just ramp up to high rpm for a second then back to normal. 

I have the same, but I get a short black screen with it too. Sometimes like barely 1 second, other times 5-8 seconds. I keep hoping it's a driver issue. 2-3 times a day so far. Can't duplicate it, just seems random - most times it's happened when I've been on low load, like browser only.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Vrbas
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/20 02:21:17 (permalink)
    Nereus
    aelnegres
    Vrbas

I have the same, but I get a short black screen with it too. Sometimes like barely 1 second, other times 5-8 seconds. I keep hoping it's a driver issue. 2-3 times a day so far. Can't duplicate it, just seems random - most times it's happened when I've been on low load, like browser only.

Yes very random. Sometimes will go with out doing it then other times will have 3 to 4 spikes back to back. Always fan 1 for me orh both cards. Ill give it another driver release and go from there.
    yaxus
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/24 15:43:09 (permalink)
    Just received my new 3090 FTW3 RMA card and......it does the same thing :-(
    Tried it in two different PC's and it's the same in both.
    For some reason the rapidly changing fan speeds are most noticeable while playing Anno 1800 but the fan speed values of 20k rpm that GPU-Z displays show up in every game I tried.

At this point I'm not going to bother replacing the card again but I'm really disappointed in EVGA this generation. Had only good experiences with them in the past but wish I would have gone with the Strix 3090 this gen.
    TheHyperMatrix
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 146
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/24 15:46:07 (permalink)
    aelnegres
    Does anyone notice that the fans ramp up to max every now and then for like a split second then go back to normal? I've noticed that in games the fans will do this a lot, and I feel like it's def a software or firmware issue.

Upon looking at px1, I've noticed that the fans will ramp up to an insane number for a split second, like 10k+ rpm (which is obviously a bug) then back down to normal. When this happens I can hear the fans ramp up, then slow down again. Anyone got any clue as to how I can fix this.

Just a couple things to try:

1) Set a custom fan curve. 
    2) Set a locked fan speed.

Does it deviate from either of those settings?  If yes, try switching from OC bios to the Quiet bios or vice versa.  If that still doesn't make a difference, you'll likely need to RMA.  OR....order the Hybrid/HydroCopper cooling kit.  :P

Need to spamtribute 100 posts for Elite status to be able to get a KingPin because Jacob. My apologies in advance.
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/24 15:52:18 (permalink)

Max fan speed is 3,000rpm (per fan), so if you're getting readings of 10,000rpm or 20,000rpm on each fan, that is a software issue - the fans can't physically spin that fast.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/24 16:04:49 (permalink)
    Vrbas
    Nereus
    aelnegres
    Vrbas

Yes very random. Sometimes will go with out doing it then other times will have 3 to 4 spikes back to back. Always fan 1 for me orh both cards. Ill give it another driver release and go from there.

Good news is I haven't had a black screen for a couple of days. I did a secure erase and then installed Windows fresh so eliminated any possibility of old driver conflicts. I had one short black screen after that, but then switched to a different display port on the card itself and it seems to be good so far since then (touch wood). I've had a couple of nvlddmkm errors when playing Civilization VI on DX12, but that is a driver issue and is common even before the 3000 series cards existed. I noticed a very brief fan ramp up a couple of times, but it may have been the CPU AiO radiator fans not the GPU fans, not sure as it was so brief. I removed NVidia GeForce Experience earlier today and it hasn't happened since (I only installed that crap to get the CoD game code redeemed anyway). Really hard to pin down what the real cause is though, frustrating, but it seems I have overcome whatever it was.

Vrbas
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/24 16:22:44 (permalink)
    TheHyperMatrix
    aelnegres

Does it deviate from either of those settings?  If yes, try switching from OC bios to the Quiet bios or vice versa.  If that still doesn't make a difference, you'll likely need to RMA.  OR....order the Hybrid/HydroCopper cooling kit.  :P

Tried all these options on two cards now still happened on both. No matter the setting fan1 revs up to max rpm then back down only for a second but happens often. RMAd for a third card now(third times a charm?) If it continues on this card ill just have to deal with with it and prey that its a driver issue.
    Vrbas
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/24 16:25:59 (permalink)
    Nereus
    Vrbas
    Nereus
    aelnegres
    Vrbas

Good news is I haven't had a black screen for a couple of days. I did a secure erase and then installed Windows fresh so eliminated any possibility of old driver conflicts. I had one short black screen after that, but then switched to a different display port on the card itself and it seems to be good so far since then (touch wood). I've had a couple of nvlddmkm errors when playing Civilization VI on DX12, but that is a driver issue and is common even before the 3000 series cards existed. I noticed a very brief fan ramp up a couple of times, but it may have been the CPU AiO radiator fans not the GPU fans, not sure as it was so brief. I removed NVidia GeForce Experience earlier today and it hasn't happened since (I only installed that crap to get the CoD game code redeemed anyway). Really hard to pin down what the real cause is though, frustrating, but it seems I have overcome whatever it was.

Glad no more black screens! Will say this, this was my first and last launch release on a GPU lol
    TheHyperMatrix
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 146
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/24 16:26:45 (permalink)
    Vrbas
    TheHyperMatrix
    aelnegres

Tried all these options on two cards now still happened on both. No matter the setting fan1 revs up to max rpm then back down only for a second but happens often. RMAd for a third card now(third times a charm?) If it continues on this card ill just have to deal with with it and prey that its a driver issue.

If it's doing it on a locked fan speed, it makes it very odd.  You say it happens more often while gaming with high temps?  Have you tried talking to support?  If this is happening to a lot of people they may have a record of it and a general idea of what's causing it or potential solutions.  Or at least add your name to the list of affected owners so it gets higher priority.

Need to spamtribute 100 posts for Elite status to be able to get a KingPin because Jacob. My apologies in advance.
    Vrbas
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/24 16:34:26 (permalink)
    TheHyperMatrix

If it's doing it on a locked fan speed, it makes it very odd.  You say it happens more often while gaming with high temps?  Have you tried talking to support?  If this is happening to a lot of people they may have a record of it and a general idea of what's causing it or potential solutions.  Or at least add your name to the list of affected owners so it gets higher priority.

Yes, both RMAs I have explained to support and even pointed them to this post that others are experiencing it. When the card idles it doesn't happen, only while under load and temps don't matter it has happen while at 69c and also at 75-80c.
    yaxus
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/24 16:43:32 (permalink)
    Vrbas
    TheHyperMatrix

Yes, both RMAs I have explained to support and even pointed them to this post that others are experiencing it. When the card idles it doesn't happen, only while under load and temps don't matter it has happen while at 69c and also at 75-80c.

I can confirm that. It only happens on my card once the card has gotten somewhat warm ~70c. If the card is around 60c or lower it usually behaves normally.
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/11/24 16:51:17 (permalink)
    Vrbas
    Nereus

Glad no more black screens! Will say this, this was my first and last launch release on a GPU lol

I hear that! I usually wait for the Ti release, but I went for the launch card this time since the rumors were that there wouldn't be a Ti with this series (then there would be, then there wouldn't be, then there would be again)...

aelnegres
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/12/10 12:19:14 (permalink)
    Vrbas
    TheHyperMatrix
    aelnegres

Hey have you recieved your third card yet? Was wondering if you were still having the issue. For me, it seems to have stopped with one of these past few nvidia drivers, but I may have just stop noticing it?
    Vrbas
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2020/12/10 13:00:05 (permalink)
    aelnegres
    Hey have you recieved your third card yet? Was wondering if you were still having the issue. For me, it seems to have stopped with one of these past few nvidia drivers, but I may have just stop noticing it?

I have its even one with the black lips and yes still has the issue(with newest cyberpunk driver). So 3/3 cards had the problem. 
    So I'm just going to keep this one and deal with it. Hopefully a future driver/firmware update fixes it. Not worth the RMAs.
    Geschtalt
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2021/01/08 01:39:44 (permalink)
    I have this same issue. At seemingly random times, at idle or while gaming fans will spontaneously ramp up to max speed for 1-2 seconds and then go back down to zero. It's a bit annoying. Anyone get a fix for this yet?
    morans28122
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2021/01/08 04:59:51 (permalink)
    I’m having this same issue on my 3090 FTW3 w/hybrid. I’ve done a bunch of testing with Cyberpunk and it mainly seems to happen when going from low GPU to high GPU usage scenarios. For example, jumping into a menu (where clocks drop to very low levels) and then back into gameplay will cause the fans to ramp up momentarily and then go back to my preset curve and that is 100% repeatable. This is only with the fan on the shroud itself, the radiator fans never seem to exhibit this behavior.

Another thing I noticed is that if I run the game at lower resolutions, it seems to make the problem less noticeable. I do get the occasional fan ramp up during game play as well, but I never see temps go higher than 60-64* so it must be load related rather than temp.

It’s very annoying and clearly there is some sort of issue going on that EVGA needs to address. I’m seriously considering just getting a fan extension cable and running the fan in question off of a motherboard header instead of letting the GPU control it since it seems like EVGA won’t even acknowledge it. Better than spending money on an RMA that likely won’t fix the problem
    Pecata9292
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2021/01/08 05:56:49 (permalink)
    Geschtalt
    I have this same issue. At seemingly random times, at idle or while gaming fans will spontaneously ramp up to max speed for 1-2 seconds and then go back down to zero. It's a bit annoying. Anyone get a fix for this yet?

Same problem here with my 3080 especially when the temp hits 69 and above. It's like forcing an engine, really annoying. At lower temp it doesn't behave like that. I wonder should I return it for another one?
    Geschtalt
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Fans Ramping up? 2021/01/08 07:58:07 (permalink)
    morans28122
    I’m having this same issue on my 3090 FTW3 w/hybrid. I’ve done a bunch of testing with Cyberpunk and it mainly seems to happen when going from low GPU to high GPU usage scenarios. For example, jumping into a menu (where clocks drop to very low levels) and then back into gameplay will cause the fans to ramp up momentarily and then go back to my preset curve and that is 100% repeatable. This is only with the fan on the shroud itself, the radiator fans never seem to exhibit this behavior.

Yes, for me this happens regardless of where the temperature is at. The fans are tracking gpu clock and memory clock. So when switching applications, opening youtube, moving a window, opening a jpeg, and things of that nature this is when it happens predictably. I took a screenshot of afterburner when it happened.

Fans should be tracking temperature.....not gpu/memory clock speeds. And they should have a delay too....EVGA please fix this.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile