EVGA

3080 causing USB dropouts

Author
devrand
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/10/10 11:42:27 (permalink)
I recently snagged a 3080 XC3 Ultra and put it into my main rig, which is several years old at this point, upgrading from 1080. Everything seems to be running fine, but while in games I'll get random USB dropouts every 10-15 minutes that last ~10 seconds. All USB disconnects, including the internal headers are being used to fan RGB control and PSU monitoring. Nothing else appears to be impacted.

I normally would suspect PSU, but I'm using a HX750i that should be good enough. When the dropouts occur the PSU is sending ~350W, which isn't even peak when gaming (425-450W). This is also well within what the PSU can handle. The dropouts also happen within like 50W of what the 1080 pulls, so it's not like it's a crazy difference here. I did also confirm that swapping back to 1080 corrects the problem.

My main suspect is the motherboard simply because it's fairly old at this point and is pretty heavily loaded between the 3080 and 2x NVMe drives.

My full specs are:
  • CPU: Intel 6700k
  • Mobo: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 6 (lastest BIOS)
  • PSU: Corsair HX750i
  • 2x16gb Corsair CMK32GX4M2A2666C16
  • NVMe 1: HP EX950 2TB
  • NVMe 2: Intel SSDPEKKW512G7
  • HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB

My original plan was to upgrade the rest of the system to Alder Lake once it drops, but I may need to revisit that plan. Does my hunch that the mobo is the culprit rather than the PSU make sense? Or should I really try replacing the PSU first?

17 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30774
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: 3080 causing USB dropouts 2021/10/10 12:33:57 (permalink)
    maybe a software conflict  ... how are you controlling RGB?

Did you turn off fast Boot in BIOS?

Did you do a restart in Windows after updating your drivers ?

Which OC software are you using ?

Test - set MB back to stock settings ... your previous OC of CPU/ RAM / frontside bus ..... that was with the Old GPU - not necessarily stable now

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

When someone does not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place; you can't use reason to convince them otherwise!
    devrand
    Re: 3080 causing USB dropouts 2021/10/10 13:05:08 (permalink)
    I was not running an overclock, and I did attempt resetting the mobo to defaults (which should have also exercised fast boot disabled). I am running latest Windows 10 and definitely rebooted quite a few times while debugging.

For RGB it's controlled by Corsair iCUE, but I did test with it closed and the services stopped.

The thing that's really throwing me is that only USB is impacted. When it happens CPU and GPU clock is relatively stable.

I should also note that there's nothing in Event Viewer about the dropout, only entries are from when everything reconnects. Also almost all USB devices are connected via a powered USB hub. Other than the internal headers, the only things connected directly are the Logitech Unifying Receiver and a Yubikey... not exactly high powered devices.

Edit: the only other reason I don't suspect software issues is due to the USB dropouts only occuring when the GPU is under some amount load. If I idle at the desktop or do some web browsing it'll be fine, but if I idle in a game menu it'll occur eventually.
    post edited by devrand - 2021/10/10 13:07:47
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 84260
    • Ribbons : 85
    Re: 3080 causing USB dropouts 2021/10/10 13:14:08 (permalink)
    If possible disconnect everything from the USB powered hub. Connect mouse and keyboard to the motherboard USB ports. Then retest.

If the problems continue reload the motherboard chipset drivers. Retest.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Epal2Apol
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 129
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: 3080 causing USB dropouts 2021/10/10 13:44:47 (permalink)
    It seems a PSU problem to me. Before getting a new PSU,  Try updating the nvidia driver first.  Clean install, using ddu to uninstall the current driver.  Install the latest driver.    

12G-P5-3967-KR   6/3/2021   12:16:53  PM  PT   YES
    24G-P5-3987-KR   8/22/2021   8:42:12  AM  PT   No 

Patience is Virtue That I Don't Possess
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 8882
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: 3080 causing USB dropouts 2021/10/10 14:04:25 (permalink)
    Can you change the headers used on the motherboard or switch them around to see if the same issue happens?

Also is the NVMe drives fully updated and are you monitoring the temps on them to see if they are spiking.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 3080 causing USB dropouts 2021/10/10 15:22:55 (permalink)
    Corsair iCUE has been reported many times in the past as the root cause of issues ... I do not use it, so I can't test it

could it be a damaged cord on Any USB device ? ... test with new mouse & KB ,,, unplug all other USB hubs & devices

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

When someone does not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place; you can't use reason to convince them otherwise!
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1099
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: 3080 causing USB dropouts 2021/10/10 18:19:37 (permalink)
    Have you tried turning off power management related to USB devices in power plan and device manager?
    devrand
    Re: 3080 causing USB dropouts 2021/10/10 20:20:28 (permalink)
    Okay so I went a bit nuclear and:
    1. Reset BIOS to default again
    2. Reinstalled windows (though I did reinstall iCUE)
    3. Removed the USB hub and plugged everything directly into USB ports on the mobo
    I could still reproduce the issue. I started removing USB devices until I got down to mouse, keyboard, unifying receiver, Xbox wireless adapter, and Yubikey. Still happened.

I then removed the Xbox wireless adapter and uninstalled iCUE. After that I was able to avoid a dropout for ~40 minutes, which is pretty good! Will need to spend more time with it to see if it has stabilized, and then figure out which of those two was the culprit.

Though it's still confusing to me why the 3080 is causing a difference here.

Edit: regarding temps, everything seemed fine. The hottest anything got was the 3080 at a peak of 79. I did also disable USB suspend in the power plan settings. I didn't disable per device power management this time, but I did try that before I wiped windows.
    post edited by devrand - 2021/10/10 20:27:15
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 3080 causing USB dropouts 2021/10/11 09:34:54 (permalink)
    devrand

I then removed the Xbox wireless adapter and uninstalled iCUE. After that I was able to avoid a dropout for ~40 minutes, which is pretty good! Will need to spend more time with it to see if it has stabilized, and then figure out which of those two was the culprit.

Looks like you might have narrowed it down

GPU .. they can make large sudden draws of power .... some PSU will actually sense this as a fault & shutdown the PC

Could be some circuit is being taxes just a tad too much ?

Might have some sag in one of your Voltage rails ?

EVGA FAQs: 

How do I test my power supply?

ATX voltage tolerances

What are the voltage tolerances of each of my power supply's rails?

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: 3080 causing USB dropouts 2021/10/11 10:15:16 (permalink)
    devrand
    Okay so I went a bit nuclear and:
    1. Reset BIOS to default again
    2. Reinstalled windows (though I did reinstall iCUE)
    3. Removed the USB hub and plugged everything directly into USB ports on the mobo
    I could still reproduce the issue. I started removing USB devices until I got down to mouse, keyboard, unifying receiver, Xbox wireless adapter, and Yubikey. Still happened.

Edit: regarding temps, everything seemed fine. The hottest anything got was the 3080 at a peak of 79. I did also disable USB suspend in the power plan settings. I didn't disable per device power management this time, but I did try that before I wiped windows.

It is impossible to say why exactly 3080 is making a difference but theory that it is because of its higher power requirements is a plausible one. When you removed other devices you reduced power requirements and when you disabled USB selective suspend you told Windows not to try to preserve power that goes to USB devices, which doesn't always work correctly, see here What is USB Selective Suspend feature? How to enable or disable it? (thewindowsclub.com) Nvidia cards have USB ports and their own USB drivers so it can be a conflict.

Keep in mind disabling USB power cut just through selective suspend in plan does not work all the time everywhere so you might end up having to disable it in device manager too.

It can also be iCue interfering with devices / device drivers. iCue is not exactly having the reputation of being headache free software. Keep in mind you need to do following manual steps in order to completely uninstall iCue Perform a clean reinstallation of the Corsair Utility Engine (iCUE) – Corsair

Mister E...
    • Total Posts : 91
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: 3080 causing USB dropouts 2021/10/11 16:38:35 (permalink)
    I'd suspect PSU as well - 750W might not cut it for the 3080 (750W is what's recommended for my 3070Ti) - also depends on the current draws on the various rails - the 3080 could be pulling enough current to strain the PSU enough to lower voltages on the other rails.  If you're overclocking, that'll also put more demand on your PSU.  If you've got Precision X1 installed, check its Power tab/option to see what it recommends for your system.

If you've got any hardware monitoring, keep an eye on the 5V reading - is it lower than 5V?
    devrand
    Re: 3080 causing USB dropouts 2021/10/11 19:59:28 (permalink)
    Okay, so after some more experimenting after work today I found it's a combination of iCUE and the HX750i's USB header. With either one of those removed (or both) the issue seems to go away. Not entirely sure why this only reproduced with the 3080, but things seemed to have stabilized now.

Thank you all for the input!
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: 3080 causing USB dropouts 2021/10/11 22:11:13 (permalink)
    devrand
    Okay, so after some more experimenting after work today I found it's a combination of iCUE and the HX750i's USB header. With either one of those removed (or both) the issue seems to go away. Not entirely sure why this only reproduced with the 3080, but things seemed to have stabilized now.

Are you saying you had HX750i connected with USB cable to motherboard and had issues until you disconnected it or removed iCue? If yes that is VERY interesting because I had experienced iCue freezing on me when I had my AX1600i connected to USB and my motherboard is X299 dark and video card is EVGA 2080 Super. After that experience I "banned" iCue from my systems.
    post edited by ZoranC - 2021/10/11 22:12:31
    devrand
    Re: 3080 causing USB dropouts 2021/10/12 05:38:26 (permalink)
    ZoranC
    devrand

Are you saying you had HX750i connected with USB cable to motherboard and had issues until you disconnected it or removed iCue? If yes that is VERY interesting because I had experienced iCue freezing on me when I had my AX1600i connected to USB and my motherboard is X299 dark and video card is EVGA 2080 Super. After that experience I "banned" iCue from my systems.

Correct. I confirmed that the dropouts stopped if I removed iCUE or unplugged the PSU's USB cable. It currently seems to be stable with iCUE running and the PSU unplugged.

I was going to ban iCUE but I decided to give it a chance and turned on debug logging and waited for a dropout. Obviously there's a bunch of noise in the logs when the dropout occurs, however a second or two before that there were a bunch of communication errors with the PSU. That's what ultimately got me to test with the PSU's USB unplugged.
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: 3080 causing USB dropouts 2021/10/12 10:22:07 (permalink)
    devrand
    ZoranC
    devrand

Correct. I confirmed that the dropouts stopped if I removed iCUE or unplugged the PSU's USB cable. It currently seems to be stable with iCUE running and the PSU unplugged.

I was going to ban iCUE but I decided to give it a chance and turned on debug logging and waited for a dropout. Obviously there's a bunch of noise in the logs when the dropout occurs, however a second or two before that there were a bunch of communication errors with the PSU. That's what ultimately got me to test with the PSU's USB unplugged.

Then your experience confirming mine, on top of all other iCue headache stories I came across, is yet another nail in coffin of anything that requires iCue as far as my systems are concerned. I'm glad you figured it out and can move toward enjoying your system.
    EVGAuser97428
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: 3080 causing USB dropouts 2021/10/12 10:38:55 (permalink)
    I uninstalled iCue a while back.  It was using 5% of my CPU all by itself.
    xorxhs
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 106
    Re: 3080 causing USB dropouts 2021/10/12 11:10:27 (permalink)
    seems psu issue, ICue cause a lot of conflicts
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile