EVGA

Answered2080 XC Super Fan Behavior

Author
OhioYJ
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/08/13 17:15:48 (permalink)
So I just built a new PC, kept my case / fan setup, but replaced MB, CPU, GPU. On my old EVGA GTX 1070 FTW card the fans basically never turned on, unless it was doing something really intensive (I had replaced the thermal paste on that card). On my new RTX 2080 XC Ultra "Gaming" the fans are constantly on / off / on / off as I'm using the PC (normal usage, non-gaming). Its as the card is right at the turn-on temp for the fans and as soon as they turn on they turn right back off.

It appears that setting custom fan curves in X1 program only work as long as that program is running? Is this correct? If that is correct that solution won't work for me. I'm in Linux most of the time. The only solution I've found is to enable fan control in the Nvidia driver and have the fans run all the time. This actually appears to be what needs to happen in Windows too as well honestly otherwise the card idles really "hot", or finds this spots where it just bounces back and forth between turning the fans on and off.

Is it just me? I didn't see a firmware update or anything? Did I overlook something?
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: 2080 XC Super Fan Behavior 2019/08/13 19:17:37 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby OhioYJ 2019/08/14 03:15:23
OhioYJ
So I just built a new PC, kept my case / fan setup, but replaced MB, CPU, GPU. On my old EVGA GTX 1070 FTW card the fans basically never turned on, unless it was doing something really intensive (I had replaced the thermal paste on that card). On my new RTX 2080 XC Ultra "Gaming" the fans are constantly on / off / on / off as I'm using the PC (normal usage, non-gaming). Its as the card is right at the turn-on temp for the fans and as soon as they turn on they turn right back off.

Yes, a common complaint.

It appears that setting custom fan curves in X1 program only work as long as that program is running? Is this correct?

Correct.

Is it just me? I didn't see a firmware update or anything? Did I overlook something?

it's not just you.  EVGA refuses to agree that it is an issue and instead repeatedly recommends using EVGA Precision to set a custom fan curve.  Sorry that doesn't work for you, or so many other people.

I don't know how these things get past testing when the card is designed, or why EVGA is so afraid to fix something that so many people complain about.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

OhioYJ
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: 2080 XC Super Fan Behavior 2019/08/14 03:24:01 (permalink)
ty_ger07
Yes, a common complaint.

Glad it's not just me. This can't be for the lifespan of the fans either.

ty_ger07it's not just you.  EVGA refuses to agree that it is an issue and instead repeatedly recommends using EVGA Precision to set a custom fan curve.  Sorry that doesn't work for you, or so many other people.

I don't know how these things get past testing when the card is designed, or why EVGA is so afraid to fix something that so many people complain about.

Thanks for the detailed response. It definitely would be nice if they would release an update for this. My temps dropped a fair amount on my 1070 going to Kryonaut (I had one of the cards that had to come apart anyways for the thermal pad mod so maybe that was part of it), has anyone tried new pastes on these cards yet?
brentsg
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 197
Re: 2080 XC Super Fan Behavior 2019/08/14 07:02:45 (permalink)
I'll add that this minor problem is one that pushes me away from buying additional EVGA cards (and there have been many!) until it's addressed.  I had an EVGA 2070 Super just recently and it drove me nuts for the time that I had it.  The fan curve solution is a great band-aid but not a fix.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile