EVGA

evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Author
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49187
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/23 15:28:04 (permalink)
LurkerLito
Now my question is how do we US buyers get the free 5 year warranty and backplate?

If you're a US customer you have to buy both the warranty and backplate. 
barnsleykeith
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/23 15:42:08 (permalink)
LurkerLito
Ok I got my card today and installed it and it's perfect. No noise and no heat issues that I can see. I ran the Heaven 4.0 benchmark several times, with a slight overclock with GPU Clock and Memory Clock (+150 offsets to both in precision 16) and my temps never exceeded 51c. So I am relieved that it seems to have worked out for the better.

Now my question is how do we US buyers get the free 5 year warranty and backplate?

Thanks for that LL

It's good to get real world user feedback. Not dissing the various review sites of course. But data from actual punters is always welcome.
subyman
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/23 16:46:07 (permalink)
LurkerLito
Ok I got my card today and installed it and it's perfect. No noise and no heat issues that I can see. I ran the Heaven 4.0 benchmark several times, with a slight overclock with GPU Clock and Memory Clock (+150 offsets to both in precision 16) and my temps never exceeded 51c. So I am relieved that it seems to have worked out for the better.

Something is not right. There is no way your temps never exceeds 51C with stock fan profile.  Did you run the fan at 100% during the entire benchmark?  My card easily hits 73C playing Crysis 2.
landerfha
  • Total Posts : 32
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/23 16:48:59 (permalink)
LurkerLito

If your temps are that low the cards EVGA is shipping actually beat even the gigabyte card. I think if that were the case EVGA would come out and say reviewers were sent defective cards. What's more likely is you picked a bad test. Heaven needs a lot of time to heat up a card. Try a tough game like Crysis 3 or Battlefield for a half hour and you'll get more practical numbers.
LurkerLito
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/23 17:55:02 (permalink)
subyman
Something is not right. There is no way your temps never exceeds 51C with stock fan profile.  Did you run the fan at 100% during the entire benchmark?  My card easily hits 73C playing Crysis 2.

Well if it isn't right then the benchmark is reading it wrong. It's a custom fan profile but it's an easy one. I set it to run at 55% constant since that is still silent to me and it only increases in a straight line from 55% to 100% between 65c-80c. I watch the temp on the heaven benchmark as it runs, and it never exceeds 51c. It literally rapidly jumps back and forth between 50c-51 by the halfway point. I only ran it like 5 times back to back as I was adjusting the GPU/memory clock offsets. I didn't touch any voltages. I gave crysis 3 a go for a few minutes and hit a high of 67 but that was only for like 5 minutes of play.
post edited by LurkerLito - 2014/09/23 17:57:09
KLEYBA
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 936
  • Ribbons : 12
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/23 18:48:54 (permalink)
guru3d explains this issue well. 

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-geforce-gtx-970-acx-has-misaligned-gpu-vs-heatpipes.html

so, evga posts an Official Statement and the majority buys it without question and then go on to defend Their Guy.  that's called Sheeple.  The rest wait and research for the "real truth."  (which isn't me because I'm, well, lazy)  I haven't upgraded yet; I'm waiting to see if stuff like this comes out on all brands before I buy.  Then I'll pick the less hassle brand, you know?  this misalignment doesn't help...
KLEYBA
SSC Member
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/23 19:00:42 (permalink)
oh, evga's official response reminds of That Guy who falls down in front of everybody and they start laughing.  and then he pops up and says:  "I meant to do that."

enacku
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 124
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/23 19:35:54 (permalink)
KLEYBA

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-geforce-gtx-970-acx-has-misaligned-gpu-vs-heatpipes.html

so, evga posts an Official Statement and the majority buys it without question and then go on to defend Their Guy.  that's called Sheeple.  The rest wait and research for the "real truth."  (which isn't me because I'm, well, lazy)  I haven't upgraded yet; I'm waiting to see if stuff like this comes out on all brands before I buy.  Then I'll pick the less hassle brand, you know?  this misalignment doesn't help...

Looks like the heatsink lines up perfectly to me on both of those two pipes with the chip. What pisses me off is I thought it was the new cooler they ranted and raved about, you would think that was the whole point of coming out with the new cooler is to put on their new cards. Instead we see the 1.0 version and I didn't even fathom that was the case when I ordered the 970 superclocked. Also the 4 VRMS and cheap voltage controller...what a shame. If it works well and overclocks fine I'll be happy enough only because it is the cheapest cost out of all the 970 cards. If there was a premium I would not be a happy camper, which is why they gave newegg a $10 mail in rebate to start, they just didn't come out right and let us know "hey this is cheap because its not really on par with the other custom version, so buy it and be happy its cheap" but a company won't say that, they just hope you buy it and shut up. Which might work out after some testing of the cards. Tough spot for EVGA, seems they dropped the ball a little bit on both the engineering and public relations side.

[Corsair 500r] [Corsair H100i] [i5-4670k@4.6ghz] [ASRock Z87 Extreme 3] [G.Skill 16gb 1866mhz] [GTX 1070 FTW 2077mhz] [Kingston v300 240gb] [Raidmax Vampire 1000w gold]
barnsleykeith
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/23 20:07:57 (permalink)
enacku
KLEYBA

Looks like the heatsink lines up perfectly to me on both of those two pipes with the chip. What pisses me off is I thought it was the new cooler they ranted and raved about, you would think that was the whole point of coming out with the new cooler is to put on their new cards. Instead we see the 1.0 version and I didn't even fathom that was the case when I ordered the 970 superclocked. Also the 4 VRMS and cheap voltage controller...what a shame. If it works well and overclocks fine I'll be happy enough only because it is the cheapest cost out of all the 970 cards. If there was a premium I would not be a happy camper, which is why they gave newegg a $10 mail in rebate to start, they just didn't come out right and let us know "hey this is cheap because its not really on par with the other custom version, so buy it and be happy its cheap" but a company won't say that, they just hope you buy it and shut up. Which might work out after some testing of the cards. Tough spot for EVGA, seems they dropped the ball a little bit on both the engineering and public relations side.

The bit-tech review covers the pcb layout

4 vrms on the I/O side of the GPU two more on the far end of the board
The 970 board looks very similar to the gtx 760 board.

This doesn't mean the 970 ACX is a bad card of course. But the VRMs do worry me a little. I will have to make a decision if and when my step up process moves into the next phase.

I won't buy Asus. The Gigabyte G1 is too long for my H440(but I could swap my rigs round at a push). The MSI 970 is looking very tempting though.
post edited by barnsleykeith - 2014/09/23 20:11:07
_Nite_
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 19175
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/23 20:32:54 (permalink)
MSI 970 looks tempting to me as well, I have the same coolers on my MSI R9 270's and when they are overclocked from 955 to 1100 they barely break 70c on load.

Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @ 4.25Ghz - Asrock B450 Pro 4 - 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000 - 240GB SSD (OS), 1TB ADATA SU800 SSD and 2TB ADATA SX8200 Pro M2 NVME (Games) - 8GB RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra - Sound Blaster Audigy 5 RX - EVGA Supernova 750w G2 - Antec 302 - 24" Asus VG248QE

007vsMagua
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1677
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/23 20:52:09 (permalink)
I have to agree that MSI's offering with military grade VRMs (?) looks good to me also. Good enough sometimes isn't always good enough. I'm not interested in buying the cheapest card out there.

"Life is like stepping onto a boat which is about to sail out to Sea and sink." _Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

EVGA __ RTX 3070 FTW Super   ---   INTEL __ i7-7700K 
MSI __ Z270 Gaming M7   ---  GSKILL __ 16GB TridentZ 3200
NZXT __ Kraken X62 / HUE+ / GRID+ v2 / AER Fans x2 / USB Hub
SAMSUNG  __ 850 EVO 500GB   ---   WD  __  1TB Black / 1TB Blue 
EVGA  __ 850 G3   ---   NZXT  __  S340 Elite (White)  -  [/siz
TommyLai
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/23 20:59:28 (permalink)
007vsMagua
I have to agree that MSI's offering with military grade VRMs (?) looks good to me also. Good enough sometimes isn't always good enough. I'm not interested in buying the cheapest card out there.

Exactly, why should we buy something clearly not as good for the same money? Even the reference design has 5+2, so 4+2 is really not acceptable. Maybe it performs just the same but that is not the point. The point is cutting corner is not acceptable. Why not just charge more? eVGA is like the Apple in video card world and it supposed to be a premium brand with beefiest component and unmatchable quality.
post edited by TommyLai - 2014/09/23 21:03:01
barnsleykeith
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/23 21:27:16 (permalink)
TommyLai
007vsMagua

Exactly, why should we buy something clearly not as good for the same money? Even the reference design has 5+2, so 4+2 is really not acceptable. Maybe it performs just the same but that is not the point. The point is cutting corner is not acceptable. Why not just charge more? eVGA is like the Apple in video card world and it supposed to be a premium brand with beefiest component and unmatchable quality.

Is 5+2 reference correct? Bit-tech says reference spec is power delivered through a 4+1 phase power delivery system. Reference also says digital voltage control, EVGA has gone analogue for some reason. Has any other board maker done this?

subyman
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/23 21:37:07 (permalink)
Member over at OCN provided pictures of the third heat pipe.  It IS sealed.
Verstehnix
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/24 03:31:43 (permalink)
"http://fudzilla.com/images/stories/Reviews/Graphics/Nvidia/Maxwell/GTX_970/EVGA_SC_ACX_2.0/17-EVGA-GTX-970-SC-ACX-2.0.jpg"

the heatpipe is closed, so it not useless .

Maybe it direct contact would better , but its not necessary for functional....
post edited by Verstehnix - 2014/09/24 04:11:47
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/24 04:23:06 (permalink)
barnsleykeith
TommyLai
007vsMagua

Is 5+2 reference correct? Bit-tech says reference spec is power delivered through a 4+1 phase power delivery system. Reference also says digital voltage control, EVGA has gone analogue for some reason. Has any other board maker done this?

This a good question. The PCB is suppose to be a reference Nvidia spec with a custom cooler only, which is what EVGA has always done except for there top tier cards. Sounds like there's some intentional misleading going on....maybe some saboteurs from other who shall remain nameless companies. ;)

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
barnsleykeith
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/24 04:58:38 (permalink)
wmmills
barnsleykeith
TommyLai
007vsMagua

This a good question. The PCB is suppose to be a reference Nvidia spec with a custom cooler only, which is what EVGA has always done except for there top tier cards. Sounds like there's some intentional misleading going on....maybe some saboteurs from other who shall remain nameless companies. ;)

Nvidia OKd the EVGA 970 PCB so they must have been happy with the ''non spec'' analogue voltage control. I just wonder why EVGA chose to do it. I'm not a board engineer so can't say if it matters or not. But it does put a question in my mind. The old cynic in me says EVGA wanted to use as much of the unaltered 760 board as possible so stayed analogue. And the green team were fine with that. If an EVGA techie could sort this out and put my mind at rest it would be much appreciated.
barnsleykeith
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/24 05:17:43 (permalink)
subyman
Member over at OCN provided pictures of the third heat pipe.  It IS sealed.

Thanks. Just checked that out. For me the whole heatsink defect debate was not really an issue. 

enacku
Superclocked Member
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/24 05:45:19 (permalink)
barnsleykeith
enacku
KLEYBA

This doesn't mean the 970 ACX is a bad card of course. But the VRMs do worry me a little. I will have to make a decision if and when my step up process moves into the next phase.

I won't buy Asus. The Gigabyte G1 is too long for my H440(but I could swap my rigs round at a push). The MSI 970 is looking very tempting though.

Can you point these out to me? I don't see any components that look like the 4 VRMS. Maybe you have an official spec sheet or something from EVGA?

[Corsair 500r] [Corsair H100i] [i5-4670k@4.6ghz] [ASRock Z87 Extreme 3] [G.Skill 16gb 1866mhz] [GTX 1070 FTW 2077mhz] [Kingston v300 240gb] [Raidmax Vampire 1000w gold]
dave851
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1696
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/24 06:02:12 (permalink)
enacku

Can you point these out to me? I don't see any components that look like the 4 VRMS. Maybe you have an official spec sheet or something from EVGA?

Nah you can see them on the PCB if you know what your looking for, here are some nice close ups. Its 4 VRMS(Left) for the gpu core, and 2(Right) for memory. Its a very small upgrade from the reference spec of 4+1. 

post edited by dave851 - 2014/09/24 06:08:48
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/24 06:02:47 (permalink)
Sabotage can be in production of coolers, bad fans, PSU,...not tight fins, but EVGA choose model of VRM, regulators, capacitors, controllers....
Next months I will start to read detail about best and newest electronic parts available to human.
I can't finish with cheaper electronic parts than ASUS ROG inside PC no matter on anything.
But I'm sure EVGA will learn something from this missed chance to earn lot of more money in time when they had chance because price of Maxwell.
All of us know no matter of anything GTX970 and GTX750Ti are biggest market. And you must use quality components, even if don't need.
Sacrifice 5$ per card and you will earn much more. All of us know that this is more than enough and for OC to maximum and for 5-10 years to work but simple because customers don't like to pay for cheaper and where saving cost is obvious.
Everything was ready and customer notice better chance than ever for upgrade. I never saw so much performance for 630e or 700$ as this year with Maxwell and 2x EVGA GTX970 FTW or SC... This can finish only on one way. EVGA will maybe change cooler for FTW and next models. But my heart hurt me to look that because that's expensive than immediately to invest 5-10$ more than need. Customers love overkill and on GTX970.
post edited by Vlada011 - 2014/09/24 06:07:05

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

clo007
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5274
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/24 06:26:22 (permalink)
007vsMagua

military grade? seriously?! Talk about falling for marketing.
Yes, MSi got the only military grade VRMs in the world. All other manufacturers got civilian grade VRMs /end sarcasm

barnsleykeith
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/24 06:40:58 (permalink)
dave851
enacku

Nah you can see them on the PCB if you know what your looking for, here are some nice close ups. Its 4 VRMS(Left) for the gpu core, and 2(Right) for memory. Its a very small upgrade from the reference spec of 4+1. 

That's what I meant. There is a gap in the middle of the 4 on the left of the GPU. On the 760 there were 5 VRMs here.

Attached Image(s)

enacku
Superclocked Member
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/24 07:07:09 (permalink)
dave851
enacku

Ok, so those are VRMS without the cap and without any heatsink contact to cool them down? Interesting.

barnsleykeith
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/24 07:12:19 (permalink)
enacku
barnsleykeith
enacku
KLEYBA

Dave851 has posted some nice pics from the Bit-tech review that show the positioning of the VRMs. I don't have any docs from anyone regarding the 970 reference specs. I'm going with what the review sites are saying. 4+1 is reference. EVGA have gone for 4+2.
cptobvious1
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/24 07:15:12 (permalink)
KLEYBA
oh, evga's official response reminds of That Guy who falls down in front of everybody and they start laughing.  and then he pops up and says:  "I meant to do that."

Lol, yes.  Someone from EVGA please say something redeeming, right now I am not buying their response.  And what bothers me more then the cheap cooler is the annoying coil whine that the other cards apparently don't have.  I almost feel like returning this thing despite all the trouble it is to do so.
woken
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 290
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/24 07:43:40 (permalink)
I just realized that this thread almost has 10,000 views.  Is that really possible? lmao
KLEYBA
SSC Member
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/24 08:49:07 (permalink)
regarding evga's response:  so they're saying the third heat pipe is just Hanging Out; Kicking Back until it's needed?  really?  for example, look at the  Asus Strix version of the 970; it uses all three pipes.  (I don't own a ASUS 970 so I'm not trollin') 

EVGA, I think you would have gone much further, with a ton of understanding if you would have gone with the 'Truth Route.'

Meaning:  We made these coolers in high numbers only to realize later that the cooler was not constructed properly.  with manufacturing cost being high as they are now, we could not scrap these coolers, and then pass the financial cost on to our loyal customers--that is not the EVGA way.  so we had no choice but to use them; however, we here at EVGA want to assure our loyal customers that the performance and temps will not be affected by these coolers.  We firmly stand by our products. Should any of our customers have concerns  or issues with performance with the 970 SC ACX, please feel assured that you may contact customer service anytime and we will work with you through this issue.  thank you for your understand regarding the ACX cooler....

or something like that; you think?  do you guys know what is the one thing in this world that nobody EVER forgets?  The truth.

PS:  I'm totally free should you wanna hire me for you PR Department, EVGA, mmmmk?
Deepro
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/24 09:37:07 (permalink)
KLEYBA
regarding evga's response:  so they're saying the third heat pipe is just Hanging Out; Kicking Back until it's needed?  really?  for example, look at the  Asus Strix version of the 970; it uses all three pipes.  (I don't own a ASUS 970 so I'm not trollin') 

EVGA, I think you would have gone much further, with a ton of understanding if you would have gone with the 'Truth Route.'

Meaning:  We made these coolers in high numbers only to realize later that the cooler was not constructed properly.  with manufacturing cost being high as they are now, we could not scrap these coolers, and then pass the financial cost on to our loyal customers--that is not the EVGA way.  so we had no choice but to use them; however, we here at EVGA want to assure our loyal customers that the performance and temps will not be affected by these coolers.  We firmly stand by our products. Should any of our customers have concerns  or issues with performance with the 970 SC ACX, please feel assured that you may contact customer service anytime and we will work with you through this issue.  thank you for your understand regarding the ACX cooler....

or something like that; you think?  do you guys know what is the one thing in this world that nobody EVER forgets?  The truth.

PS:  I'm totally free should you wanna hire me for you PR Department, EVGA, mmmmk?

Very good. And guess what, I have contacted customer support about the issue... The feedback was very disappointing and no solutions were offered.
rye10516
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/24 09:40:34 (permalink)
sahafiec
it's all about the placement and thus the design of the cooler.
here is the solution from Asus, now can someone tell me 1 single reason why EVGA shouldn't do it as well?!
it's not the GPU being too small it's just the pipes placed not good enough to cover the whole GPU.

I must say, that Asus cooler is really well done
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile