EVGA

evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Author
dave851
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1696
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 15:04:40 (permalink)
Pictures are one thing, but if it performs just as well as the competition I don't see a problem. The gpu die looks to be fully covered so I don't see how have an unused pipe would cause more heat. I would be more worried if the fin rattling that was a problem with the 700's persists into the 900's. Article makes a claim but then has no test to show if the temps are higher and does not post evga's official response.
Frag Maniac
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 15:24:10 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
Due to the GPU small die size, we intended for the GPU to contact two major heat pipes with direct touch to make the best heat dissipation without any other material in between.

In other words they're fine with just those two HPs fully contacting, and couldn't care less if the 3rd only barely touches the edge of the GPU, if that. So you basically have 22mm of total HP width, of which only around 17mm (77%) is being used.

No, this is not a defect, or even an oversight, it's EVGA's apathy. The fact that they held out so long before even considering an aftermarket cooler even when everyone else had them kinda makes that obvious.

And if it were really down to manufacturing costs, we'd see higher pricing on ALL the custom aftermarket coolers that others are having made FOR the 970. No, this is just EVGA seeking a higher profit margin.

I could have found what I was feeling to be their apathy before bothering to call them just by looking here, but I'm glad I did, because the run around and apathy I got there made it clear EVGA is not what they used to be, maybe they never even were.

1) First call, tech dept. Says he's unaware of the problem and will relay it. Admits it could effect thermal efficiency after looking at the pics of the placement of the GPU TIM imprint being well off center of the heat pipes.

2) Second call, presales dept. Keeps saying he cannot comment, so I merely ask him to relay the info, but his incessant NDA toe-the-line attitude causes me to say thank you and hang up.

3) Third call, customer service. Says he just got a response about this issue from what he claimed to be the design team and would forward it to me. Instead my email is from a tech named Darrel and only contains a link of the article I told THEM about.

Yeah, so, EVGA, if you're going to be so stuffy and apathetic, at least let us know up front instead of pretending to care, because you're just wasting our time with this crap. Going to be looking at Giga and ASUS offerings instead.

post edited by Frag Maniac - 2014/09/22 15:27:42
Frag Maniac
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 15:35:18 (permalink)
dave851
The gpu die looks to be fully covered

Are you blind, there's clearly a large edge portion of it with no HP contact at all.

The "best heat dissipation" occurs when the entire die surface is within the heat pipe spread. EVGA is just being cheap and in denial about this.

post edited by Frag Maniac - 2014/09/22 15:37:54
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 15:49:21 (permalink)
EVGA should make same as 780.

I always hate CPU Coolers without flat surface.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 16:12:41 (permalink)
Frag Maniac
dave851
The gpu die looks to be fully covered

Are you blind, there's clearly a large edge portion of it with no HP contact at all.

Careful... That borders a TOS violation... http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-Forums-Terms-of-Use-m4682.aspx 

Specifically... 

• Personal Attacks - Personal attacks often lead to the trading of insults, and can throw the discussion of a legitimate topic off-track.  Personal attacks can be defined as issuing a single or repeated personal attack or attacks aimed at another member, rather than at their opinions or ideas.  Criticizing a member's post is not considered a personal attack, but using terms such as "child," "idiot," "fanboy," for example, or any other derogatory term designed to discredit a member, is not permitted.  Furthermore, comments of a racist or sexist nature, as well as derogatory comments about national origin or sexual orientation, will be dealt with harshly as in a ban from the forums.

So please be mindful of the TOS in your responses...

Now...

It may be a bit hard to see it... But that looks like an overflow amount of the paste used. It is just flattened as they pulled the two parts out. One would need to measure the actual CPU itself before making judgement either way. 

For example, the distance from the right edge of the small pipe, to the outer left pipe is one measurement. And if the CPU was centered, how much contact would it in fact have with the three pipes? More or less than the two larger units Jacob offered as the design? 

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 16:14:48 (permalink)
Vlada011

^^ Same here... Nice flat, full contact solid surfaces for me. Even though the labs have been able to prove that direct contact with the pipes is more efficient... It still bugs me...

Stephenk291
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1023
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 16:18:36 (permalink)
Well lucky for me im getting the reference 980 so either way I don't have to deal with the *Removed*.

Please the the TOS... http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-Forums-Terms-of-Use-m4682.aspx 

Specifically... 

• Inappropriate Language - The EVGA forums are family-friendly.  Many members have children who also view these forums, and these forums are intended to be accommodating to them, as well.  Profanity is not permitted in pictures or posts on the forums and will earn a warning if posted. Discussion of bodily functions, whether vulgar or humorous, is inappropriate for these forums.  Moreover, using acronyms or censoring the word by use of characters to mask profanity or other inappropriate language will not be tolerated.  This applies to text, pictures, videos, or any external links contained in a post.  Finally, users whose usernames containing inappropriate language or references to illegal activity will be given a chance to change their username, or it will be changed for them.
post edited by Afterburner - 2014/09/22 16:32:22

|i7 8700k @4.9Ghz| 64GB 3200mhz DDR4 Corsair RGB Pro |Asus Strix Gaming z390 |EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3  | Corsair 500D | H105 Cooler | SuperNova 850G3

Associates Code E96KV2QZWOXVRZM
Stephenk291
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1023
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 16:34:35 (permalink)
really dude? that is inappropriate language... lmBo. okay... guess i gotta censor that too.
post edited by Stephenk291 - 2014/09/22 16:37:19

|i7 8700k @4.9Ghz| 64GB 3200mhz DDR4 Corsair RGB Pro |Asus Strix Gaming z390 |EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3  | Corsair 500D | H105 Cooler | SuperNova 850G3

Associates Code E96KV2QZWOXVRZM
dave851
FTW Member
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 17:14:25 (permalink)
Afterburner

It may be a bit hard to see it... But that looks like an overflow amount of the paste used. It is just flattened as they pulled the two parts out. One would need to measure the actual CPU itself before making judgement either way. 

For example, the distance from the right edge of the small pipe, to the outer left pipe is one measurement. And if the CPU was centered, how much contact would it in fact have with the three pipes? More or less than the two larger units Jacob offered as the design? 

Yea most if not all of that seems like paste overflow and smear. While it is closer to the edge then I would like it does appear to be functional none the less. 

Link of load temps compared to an ASUS card. 

Load temps are within 2 degrees in this review, and this other review backs it up with having a 3 degree difference between the ASUS and evga cards, with the msi card pulling ahead a bit.
Frag Maniac
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 19:08:50 (permalink)
Afterburner

Careful... That borders a TOS violation...
Point taken, but I get the feeling these kind of figurative (vs literally intended) responses are tolerated on a daily bases, but if said in regard to criticizing EVGA product quality, of course it's going to be stepped on immediately. That said, I don't need to make such comments to make my point, so my bad.

It may be a bit hard to see it... But that looks like an overflow amount of the paste used. It is just flattened as they pulled the two parts out.
Can't say I agree with you. Anyone that's applied TIM properly knows the print of paste left behind when the cooler is lifted is that which spread onto the actual surface of the processor itself. What you're implying is the same as saying EVGA goops on the TIM too excessively. In fact if TIM is applied properly so it only flows as far as the HS and GPU contact points, if anything the print left behind would be slightly smaller than the chip itself.

Another way to say it is EVGA seem only intent on competing with ASUS on thermal efficiency, whom are often mistaken as the leaders of heat conduction. Gigabyte and even MSI are ahead on 970 temps, coming in at 60c & 68c load respectively. The Giga a full 11c cooler than ASUS, and 13c cooler than EVGA. Everyone knows EVGA was one of the last holdouts to use aftermarket coolers. They've never cared much about temps, even after they went non ref. And since most know temps are directly related to OC results and stability, it's a bit disingenuous to say this does not effect performance as they claim.

Even most of the members here only refer to the ASUS card for reference, because apparently EVGA has them thinking it's the only competition worth comparing to. For the record, I use TechPowerUp and Guru3D for my temp references, whom are both very particular about details. And even if that paste IS applied too liberally, I still find it odd the best EVGA can do is a whopping 13c higher than Giga. My money is on Giga, for value, product build, AND support.

post edited by Frag Maniac - 2014/09/22 19:26:38
dave851
FTW Member
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 19:58:22 (permalink)
Well, evga does kinda goop on to much tim on the gpu more often then not. Machines are doing this, not people as far as i'm aware. I am interested about that 13* difference however, you still have that link? Would be good information for people looking to overclock on air cooling, personally I go water cooling if i'm going to really overclock them but that doesn't mean everyone does. I did see the MSI is a few degrees cooler but nothing about the gigabyte which looks to have a beefier cooler. 

I like numbers, and so far it just seems that evga's performance as far as benchmarks is on par with everyone else. MSI and gigabyte may run cooler but I'm fine with anything under 80*C for air. If I plan to really overclock them I put on water-blocks anyway, but for those who don't that link may help them out.
post edited by dave851 - 2014/09/22 20:01:42
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 20:44:21 (permalink)
Frag Maniac
Can't say I agree with you. Anyone that's applied TIM properly knows the print of paste left behind when the cooler is lifted is that which spread onto the actual surface of the processor itself. What you're implying is the same as saying EVGA goops on the TIM too excessively. In fact if TIM is applied properly so it only flows as far as the HS and GPU contact points, if anything the print left behind would be slightly smaller than the chip itself.

Another way to say it is EVGA seem only intent on competing with ASUS on thermal efficiency, whom are often mistaken as the leaders of heat conduction. Gigabyte and even MSI are ahead on 970 temps, coming in at 60c & 68c load respectively. The Giga a full 11c cooler than ASUS, and 13c cooler than EVGA. Everyone knows EVGA was one of the last holdouts to use aftermarket coolers. They've never cared much about temps, even after they went non ref. And since most know temps are directly related to OC results and stability, it's a bit disingenuous to say this does not effect performance as they claim.

Even most of the members here only refer to the ASUS card for reference, because apparently EVGA has them thinking it's the only competition worth comparing to. For the record, I use TechPowerUp and Guru3D for my temp references, whom are both very particular about details. And even if that paste IS applied too liberally, I still find it odd the best EVGA can do is a whopping 13c higher than Giga. My money is on Giga, for value, product build, AND support.

I too have worked on my fair share of systems... In fact I think at last count I was near 20 complete systems. And half of them I added water-blocks. In other words, I have seen more than a few of these and what the different types of paste, or even ceramic contact paste does. This is not to say I am correct, and why I worded my thinking the way I did. Photos do not always do the situation justice. This is why measuring will win, as the goop or perception of goop is meaningless.  

That said, I have not spent any time looking at the other GPU's. I have, and will continue, to not put much faith in any review other than those who buy and use the parts. I am not one who buys into paid reviews. To many times I was swayed one way or another. Just to find out my own use of a product does not line up with reviews. Once they are in our hands as users, the truth always comes out. Good or bad.

And to be frank, it is one of the reasons why I buy EVGA. They let us talk these types of issues out. Other companies tend to delete the threads when it gets to painful.

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 21:05:20 (permalink)
Now... Here is what I will add in hope to help calm the storm a bit...

Let's try and keep everything in front of us. A few points to highlight... 

1. Notice how many folks with low posting totals are all over these "EVGA Poor this or that" threads? Think about that.
  2. This is not the first or last time they have/will use this same tech. Just look up pretty much any of the ACX models of the past gen... Here is a link to the 760's as an example... https://www.google.com/search?q=GTX760+SC+4GB+ACX.&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=N_AgVN3mIZCdyASUmYDABw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAw&biw=1452&bih=974
    1. And... http://www.overclock.net/t/1403674/official-nvidia-gtx-760-owners-club/30
  3. May I suggest a little research can go a looooooooooooooooong way 

P.S...... How about a 780! MUhahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

P.P.S..... How about an ASUS 680!?! BWhahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

gizmo88
  • Total Posts : 71
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 21:19:48 (permalink)
Vlada011

Yes, very much so. I would always avoid heat pipe CPU coolers. Cold plate or bust.
DchAoticN
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 21:21:21 (permalink)
Afterburner

1. Notice how many folks with low posting totals are all over these "EVGA Poor this or that" threads? Think about that.
  2. This is not the first or last time they have/will use this same tech. Just look up pretty much any of the ACX models of the past gen... Here is a link to the 760's as an example... 
    1. And... 
  3. May I suggest a little research can go a looooooooooooooooong way 

P.S...... How about a 780! MUhahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

P.P.S..... How about an ASUS 680!?! BWhahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

1. I think that's beside the point.  That's basically saying EVGA has been shipping flawed parts since forever.  You are only doing them a disservice.  And saying people's opinions don't matter because A they have a different view on the matter and B they have low post count is completely illogical.  What do post count and join date have to do with the issue at hand?

2.  Take a moment and ask yourself - why are people complaining?  Maybe it's because ACX2 promised to be the most efficient cooler, but failed to be so?  Maybe they paid a premium and expect premium quality, but instead they get lower build quality.  

Anyway, mocking other customers' legitimate concerns does not help convey anything.  It only makes the person doing the mocking look immature.  I honestly expected a little more from a forum mod.
post edited by DchAoticN - 2014/09/22 21:40:07
gizmo88
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 21:21:35 (permalink)
Afterburner

The "it was done worse elsewhere" is not a great defense. As far as low post count, that just means I don't post here a lot. My Join Date is only a year off of yours however. It's in your best interest to defend EVGA, you've invested a lot of time into them. I just hope that we can get past the personal allegiance and address the issue. 
post edited by gizmo88 - 2014/09/22 21:35:28
DchAoticN
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 21:36:10 (permalink)
gizmo88
Afterburner

The "it was done worse elsewhere" is not a great defense. As far as low post count, that just means I don't post here a lot. My Join Date is only a year off of yours however. It's in your best interest to defend EVGA, you've invested a lot of time into them. I just hope that we can get past the personal allegiance and address the issue. 

glad I am not the only one with this sentiment.  Thought I was insane for a bit..
007vsMagua
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1677
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 21:40:49 (permalink)
Thanks Afterburner for that enlightening information. It blows my mind how small the chip is and how powerful it can be. Designing coolers to work with every pcb design out there would be an impossible and expensive task. I'm not worried about it.

"Life is like stepping onto a boat which is about to sail out to Sea and sink." _Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

EVGA __ RTX 3070 FTW Super   ---   INTEL __ i7-7700K 
MSI __ Z270 Gaming M7   ---  GSKILL __ 16GB TridentZ 3200
NZXT __ Kraken X62 / HUE+ / GRID+ v2 / AER Fans x2 / USB Hub
SAMSUNG  __ 850 EVO 500GB   ---   WD  __  1TB Black / 1TB Blue 
EVGA  __ 850 G3   ---   NZXT  __  S340 Elite (White)  -  [/siz
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 21:51:50 (permalink)
gizmo88

I am not sure where you are getting the highlighted portion from? All I was offering is the deign has been around a while, in multiple camps.

As long as it works, why does  it matter? For any camp!

And how is EVGA or any other camp to address an issue that does not exist? This is the design. Make the chips bigger?

For the record, I prefer a flat solid surface. But some lab testing proved that direct contact with the heat pipes did a better job.

So I am confused as to what the problem is exactly!?

And as far as invested time, I have not feared using AMD or ASUS or Gigabit components. Even as a Moderator. I am not one sided, I enjoy technology and what it offers. As a consumer, I want the best overall package. And sometimes that is not EVGA, sometimes it is.

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 22:01:04 (permalink)
DchAoticN

1. I think that's beside the point.  That's basically saying EVGA has been shipping flawed parts since forever.  You are only doing them a disservice.  And saying people's opinions don't matter because A they have a different view on the matter and B they have low post count is completely illogical.  What do post count and join date have to do with the issue at hand?

2.  Take a moment and ask yourself - why are people complaining?  Maybe it's because ACX2 promised to be the most efficient cooler, but failed to be so?  Maybe they paid a premium and expect premium quality, but instead they get lower build quality.  

Anyway, mocking other customers' legitimate concerns does not help convey anything.  It only makes the person doing the mocking look immature.  I honestly expected a little more from a forum mod.

Maybe this will help...

Why are you saying this issue is an EVGA issue? Why are you not seeing other camps have been doing this for years?

I offer you... 2009. Yes, "5" years ago before EVGA started getting into the aftermarket cooling market. It worked on multiple CPU sizes/types...

http://www.hwreviewlabs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=198%3Aakasa-freedom-force-vga-cooler-review&catid=31%3Acooling-components&Itemid=53&showall=1 

It just seems odd that folks are finding things, making an issue out of them, when it has been a part of many of the GPU's on the market for the last four years.

And I know for a fact this was done back in the 8800's days because I bought a set for one of my builds... The name is escaping me at the moment. So that was "7" years ago...

DchAoticN
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 22:07:59 (permalink)
Afterburner
DchAoticN

Maybe this will help...

Why are you saying this issue is an EVGA issue? Why are you not seeing other camps have been doing this for years?

I offer you... 2009. Yes, "8" years ago before EVGA started getting into the aftermarket cooling market. It worked on multiple CPU sizes/types...

It just seems odd that folks are finding things, making an issue out of them, when it has been a part of many of the GPU's on the market for the last four years.

You are missing the point completely........
Just because someone else has done it doesn't excuse anything.  That's completely illogical.  Not to mention other companies, namely Asus and MSI did exactly just that a few gens ago, and botched the thermals on the 290s and 290Xs, but guess what, they learned from their mistakes and complaints and made sure the 970s aren't shipped like that.  And how are their 970s doing in terms of thermals?  Better.

If you get pulled over for going 10mph above the speed limit, do you just go hey officer, the other guys were speeding  5 years ago too?  What does someone else speeding have to do with you violating the law?   You are the one violating the law now, not the guys 5 years ago.

The fact here is, it's vastly inferior and under-performing, as seen from multiple sources, compared to the competition who have done the same but learned from the mistakes and we're still charged a premium for it.  Why is this so hard to understand?
post edited by DchAoticN - 2014/09/22 22:13:28
gizmo88
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 22:10:05 (permalink)
Afterburner 

And I know for a fact this was done back in the 8800's days because I bought a set for one of my builds... The name is escaping me at the moment. So that was "7" years ago...

You're focusing on something very minor and avoiding the main issue. I could care less if 1 or 2 heat pipes doesn't make contact. If EVGA wants to make 1 cooler for their entire series of GPU's....I could care less. The only thing I care about are numbers. It's a fact that EVGA 900 series cards run hotter and louder. It is my belief that they used the ACX 1.0 cooler as a stop gap solution.
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 22:16:16 (permalink)
gizmo88
Afterburner 

You're focusing on something very minor and avoiding the main issue. I could care less if 1 or 2 heat pipes doesn't make contact. If EVGA wants to make 1 cooler for their entire series of GPU's....I could care less. The only thing I care about are numbers. It's a fact that EVGA 900 series cards run hotter and louder. It is my belief that they used the ACX 1.0 cooler as a stop gap solution.

Ah! I see. 

A stop gap solution for what exactly? 

Now we are getting somewhere  

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 22:20:47 (permalink)
DchAoticN

Just because someone else has done it doesn't excuse anything.  That's completely illogical.  Not to mention other companies, namely Asus and MSI did exactly just that a few gens ago, and botched the thermals on the 290s and 290Xs, but guess what, they learned from their mistakes and complaints and made sure the 970s aren't shipped like that.  And how are their 970s doing in terms of thermals?  Better.

If you get pulled over for going 10mph above the speed limit, do you just go hey officer, the other guys were speeding  5 years ago too?  What does someone else speeding have to do with you violating the law?   You are the one violating the law now, not the guys 5 years ago.

The fact here is, it's vastly inferior and under-performing, as seen from multiple sources, compared to the competition who have done the same but learned from the mistakes and we're still charged a premium for it.  Why is this so hard to understand?

I see. You are using the words "Vastly inferior". So a couple to a few degrees is "Vastly inferior? I do not follow that one.

I can understand that you would like to see some changes, and voicing your thoughts can help with that. So please continue do that. I am just trying to show this is not new like this thread offered it to be as it developed. And trying to get to the meat of the issues.

This is the same challenge that all types of businesses face. If it is made by man, it has used old tech until a newer/cheaper version comes along...

gizmo88
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 22:21:52 (permalink)
Afterburner
gizmo88
Afterburner 

Ah! I see. 

Raw materials for the ACX 2.0 cooler not being ready in volume? Simple supply chain issues maybe?
DchAoticN
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 22:23:44 (permalink)
Afterburner
DchAoticN

I see. You are using the words "Vastly inferior". So a couple to a few degrees is "Vastly inferior? I do not follow that one.

I can understand that you would like to see some changes, and voicing your thoughts can help with that. So please continue do that. I am just trying to show this is not new like this thread offered it to be as it developed. And trying to get to the meat of the issues.

This is the same challenge that all types of businesses face. If it is made by man, it has used old tech until a newer/cheaper version comes along...

Nicely played.  You dodged every counter argument I made.

Vastly inferior, yes. at 50 degrees, that's a 10% difference.  And so is the noise problem. 10dBA over cheaper alternatives is ridiculous to say the least......

Anyway, I feel like I am just wasting time trying to explain logic here..  Have a good night, peace.
post edited by DchAoticN - 2014/09/22 22:26:28
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 22:24:21 (permalink)
gizmo88
Afterburner

Ah! I see. 

Raw materials for the ACX 2.0 cooler not being ready in volume? Simple supply chain issues maybe?

Now that is always possible. And it does take longer for the "Binning" of chips to happen as well. It is not unusual for any new gen of GPU's to take 3-6 months to finally have all the versions out on the market for countless different reasons... 

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 22:29:36 (permalink)
DchAoticN
Afterburner
DchAoticN

Nicely played.  You dodged every counter argument I made.

Vastly inferior, yes. at 50 degrees, that's a 10% difference.  And so is the noise problem. 10dBA over cheaper alternatives is ridiculous to say the least......

10% @ 50c is 5c. I have not seen to many 5c differences yet. 

That does NOT mean other camps have not done a better job with their version of cooling, and once we see the ACX 2.0 we will have more info.

As for the noise, yeah, that would bug me. 10dba (Using your words on that measurement) is HUGE. I loved my Tri fan Gigabit, cool and quiet! 

My current ACX 780 Classified (Runs 24/7 folding or crunching) never gets over the sound of the fans cooling the case. I have to stop other items in the room once in a while to make sure it is working. So I am happy thus far...

SGTHACK
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 231
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 22:40:18 (permalink)
You guys can do what you want. I have a 970 being delivered tomorrow. I have been buying cards form EVGA for a long time. There is a reason for this, they are the best.

Marcin79
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: evga acx cooler defect? eteknix.com thinks so. 2014/09/22 22:43:36 (permalink)
Vlada011

780 cost 650$ at launch.  GTX 970 300 bucks.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile