EVGA

GTX 1080 FTW troubles after 20 min of gameplay

Author
charleyz
  • Total Posts : 19
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/08/26 17:43:41 (permalink)
Replaced my ASUS Strix gtx 980's sli with the EVGA gtx 1080 FTW, after about 20 minutes of game play Deus EX: Mankind Divided the monitor disruptively shut off and the fans on the video card cranked 100%. 

Before this happening, I first began this upgrade with the uninstall of the old drivers including any overclocking programs and GForce experience, shut downed. Proceeded to install the new video card, rebooted to windows everything all good. Went to installed nvidia drivers for the first time, they failed.  I waited a bit rebooted tried again then finally it installed all the way.  Brought up the game, performed 4 benchmarks to see what my FPS was, all seemed fair at 4k resolution.  Went to play the main story then after 20 min the monitor blacked out. One thing that was funny, I could hit the power button and it would do a normal shutdown so everything else was working just not the video card it seemed.  Checked power, checked socket installation no sign of trouble with anything. When I proceeded to reboot, there was artifacting right across the monitor screen, a white line with green dots above it, when entering windows 10. Now everything else seemed to be working in the background minus the monitor image.  So I shut down pulled the power cord out, waited 30 seconds then rebooted, it booted back up normal. Now, I'm able to do other benchmarks outside of the game i was primarily playing all day, no issue. As soon as I play any game, I'll get a hard image freeze, where everything in the background, control alt delete all works, and gets it out of the in game image freeze. Basically, I was able to log off one time to get the screen to unfreeze.  Now through all of these troubles not once has a driver error come up, BSOD, windows error, nothing. Just random monitor screen shutdowns and image freezing. I've RMA'd so good there but I'm just curious to what maybe going on? 

Asus X99 A II
H2O cooled, 280mm rad
I7  oc'd to 4.4Ghz, 1.19v cpu vtt
Corsair Dominator  16GB 3200 at 15-17-17-1T
Antec 1300w PSU 
GTX 1080 FTW 
M.2 Samsung 512gb

12 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    charleyz
    Re: GTX 1080 FTW troubles after 20 min of gameplay 2016/08/26 17:47:12 (permalink)
    P.S. Those are my old system stats. Been awhile since I've seen all your beautiful posts.

Asus X99 A II
    H2O cooled, 280mm rad
    Antec 1300w PSU 
    GTX 1080 FTW 
    M.2 Samsung 512gb
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: GTX 1080 FTW troubles after 20 min of gameplay 2016/08/26 17:49:17 (permalink)
    I did not catch that you reset your MB Bios to the Default or Optimized Settings to reset the PCIe Lanes and Other items as well?

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

landerx74
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 143
    Re: GTX 1080 FTW troubles after 20 min of gameplay 2016/08/26 17:49:28 (permalink)
    charleyz
    Replaced my ASUS Strix gtx 980's sli with the EVGA gtx 1080 FTW, after about 20 minutes of game play Deus EX: Mankind Divided the monitor disruptively shut off and the fans on the video card cranked 100%. 

Before this happening, I first began this upgrade with the uninstall of the old drivers including any overclocking programs and GForce experience, shut downed. Proceeded to install the new video card, rebooted to windows everything all good. Went to installed nvidia drivers for the first time, they failed.  I waited a bit rebooted tried again then finally it installed all the way.  Brought up the game, performed 4 benchmarks to see what my FPS was, all seemed fair at 4k resolution.  Went to play the main story then after 20 min the monitor blacked out. One thing that was funny, I could hit the power button and it would do a normal shutdown so everything else was working just not the video card it seemed.  Checked power, checked socket installation no sign of trouble with anything. When I proceeded to reboot, there was artifacting right across the monitor screen, a white line with green dots above it, when entering windows 10. Now everything else seemed to be working in the background minus the monitor image.  So I shut down pulled the power cord out, waited 30 seconds then rebooted, it booted back up normal. Now, I'm able to do other benchmarks outside of the game i was primarily playing all day, no issue. As soon as I play any game, I'll get a hard image freeze, where everything in the background, control alt delete all works, and gets it out of the in game image freeze. Basically, I was able to log off one time to get the screen to unfreeze.  Now through all of these troubles not once has a driver error come up, BSOD, windows error, nothing. Just random monitor screen shutdowns and image freezing. I've RMA'd so good there but I'm just curious to what maybe going on? 

It's simple pretty much. Basically almost all of the EVGA GTX FTW Edition graphics cards have bad Factory overclocks. To make a long story short instead of fixing the problem they released the GTX FTW DT Edition. As you can tell I'm pretty upset about this as well.
    charleyz
    Re: GTX 1080 FTW troubles after 20 min of gameplay 2016/08/26 17:53:02 (permalink)
    Whoops, missed the other thread in regard to this. Thanks Sajin

Asus X99 A II
    H2O cooled, 280mm rad
    Antec 1300w PSU 
    GTX 1080 FTW 
    M.2 Samsung 512gb
    charleyz
    Re: GTX 1080 FTW troubles after 20 min of gameplay 2016/08/26 17:56:42 (permalink)
    I'm really starting to see a pattern here with these GTX 1080 FTW models. Should I just take it back and go get the SC model from Fry's? Becuase sounds to me that we could all be getting replacement video cards that may work now but down the road experience this again. Scary at this price point for some.

Asus X99 A II
    H2O cooled, 280mm rad
    Antec 1300w PSU 
    GTX 1080 FTW 
    M.2 Samsung 512gb
    landerx74
    Superclocked Member
    Re: GTX 1080 FTW troubles after 20 min of gameplay 2016/08/26 18:00:55 (permalink)
    charleyz
    I'm really starting to see a pattern here with these GTX 1080 FTW models. Should I just take it back and go get the SC model from Fry's? Becuase sounds to me that we could all be getting replacement video cards that may work now but down the road experience this again. Scary at this price point for some.

Not a bad idea. I did not hear of the SC models having this issue.. just the FTW models. Good luck.
    charleyz
    Re: GTX 1080 FTW troubles after 20 min of gameplay 2016/08/26 18:14:43 (permalink)
    Thanks

Asus X99 A II
    H2O cooled, 280mm rad
    Antec 1300w PSU 
    GTX 1080 FTW 
    M.2 Samsung 512gb
    lradunovic
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 254
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: GTX 1080 FTW troubles after 20 min of gameplay 2016/08/26 18:18:48 (permalink)
    charleyz

When you install nvidia drivers again, unplug network cable to prevent stupid Windows 10 mess up your installation as it tries to push outdated version at the same time.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: GTX 1080 FTW troubles after 20 min of gameplay 2016/08/26 18:56:34 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    I did not catch that you reset your MB Bios to the Default or Optimized Settings to reset the PCIe Lanes and Other items as well?

+1

Turn off fast boot and secure boot

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

landerx74
    Superclocked Member
    Re: GTX 1080 FTW troubles after 20 min of gameplay 2016/08/26 19:06:36 (permalink)
    lradunovic
    charleyz

When you install nvidia drivers again, unplug network cable to prevent stupid Windows 10 mess up your installation as it tries to push outdated version at the same time.

I suggest also to use this uninstall utility:http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

I think it actually disable Windows 10 from downloading its own update while it's doing its thing..
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GTX 1080 FTW troubles after 20 min of gameplay 2016/08/26 19:11:37 (permalink)
    charleyz
    Whoops, missed the other thread in regard to this. Thanks Sajin

No problem. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile