Hot!NVME Disabled When Running SLI

Author
OCCiera
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2024/03/28 21:56:54 (permalink)
Hello all,
I recently got a second 1080Ti SC2 to play with, popped it in, and got an error for not enough pcie lanes, and it wouldn't let me boot. I figured maybe it was my sound card, so I removed it, same issue. Checked the board diagram; NVME controlled by chipset lanes. When I remove the sound card, the 1080Ti runs at a full 16x, so that's not the issue, why when I run 2 at x8 each, is the NVME drive not detected in BIOS? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

This is using the beta bios for the 11900K. I don't have a 10th gen processor to test if this is the reason, unfortunately.

Thanks for reading!

14 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49170
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: NVME Disabled When Running SLI 2024/03/29 00:23:38 (permalink)
    Hmm. That is odd. That shouldn't be happening. Have you tried to call evga to see what they have to say? Since it's happening when you enable sli I would also file a bug report with nvidia... https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSewHJk1xP-C5elLBRCDLTLpNQZ9eiefrdZmUGP9hMCN6gKssA/viewform
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102323
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: NVME Disabled When Running SLI 2024/03/29 00:32:47 (permalink)
    I agree that does sound strange. As Sajin said, contact EVGA tech support. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

OCCiera
    Re: NVME Disabled When Running SLI 2024/03/29 15:11:24 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Since it's happening when you enable sli I would also file a bug report with nvidia... 

I phrased it poorly. When I place 2 cards into the system, bridge or not, the NVME drive becomes disabled. I can't boot into Windows to be able to enable/disable SLI (though I wish that was the case, software issues are a lot easier to troubleshoot!) Not an Nvidia issue.

Sajin
    Hmm. That is odd. That shouldn't be happening. Have you tried to call evga to see what they have to say?

This was a secondhand purchase, and it seems I need to have the product registered to use the support line. I was hoping some of the folks here would maybe know about the issue or something similar.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49170
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: NVME Disabled When Running SLI 2024/03/29 16:00:31 (permalink)
    Either there is something wrong with your board such as bent pins in the cpu socket, or the beta bios could be the issue.
    OCCiera
    Re: NVME Disabled When Running SLI 2024/03/29 16:57:58 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Either there is something wrong with your board such as bent pins in the cpu socket, or the beta bios could be the issue.

I can confirm that there are no bent pins, I may get a celeron or something to test if it's the BIOS, but I'll try to dig more first.

Thank you for your time.

vcbb10
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 107
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: NVME Disabled When Running SLI 2024/03/30 05:44:24 (permalink)
    What motherboard is this?  Which slots are you using for the NVMe and for the GPUs?

10th/11th gen didn't have many PCIe lanes.  10th had 16 dedicated to GPU, 11th had 20 with 4 to an NVMe (for Z590) and 16 to the GPU.  If your motherboard doesn't support bifurcation of the main 16 lanes into 2 8x lanes for SLI, than the other lanes would probably come from the PCH.  If that's the case, it would disable a (normally second) NVMe slot.

EVGA GPU Collection
    EVGA Tribute Build
    Searching for: 285 Classy, 770 Classy (Non-ACX)
    vcbb10
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 107
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: NVME Disabled When Running SLI 2024/03/30 05:58:13 (permalink)
    Ok, Z490 Dark is in your signature .

Your GPU's should be in PCIe Slot 1 and Slot 2.  This should split the main 16x lanes between both for 8x to both GPUs.  Don't use PCIe slot 3 (the non-silver one).

Slot 2 shares lanes with Slot 4 (bottom slot).  So, you probably can't have anything in Slot 4 because you probably need all 8 lanes in slot 2.  I'd try removing anything in PCIe Slot 4.

GPU 1 in Slot 1.  GPU 2 in Slot 2.  NVMe in M.2 socket 1.

No U.2.  Nothing in PCIe Slot 4.  No GPU in PCIe slot 3 (this is 4 lanes from the PCH and will disable an M.2 slot, and probably won't work with a GPU).

And I think that should work...

post edited by vcbb10 - 2024/03/30 06:02:51

EVGA GPU Collection
    EVGA Tribute Build
    Searching for: 285 Classy, 770 Classy (Non-ACX)
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: NVME Disabled When Running SLI 2024/03/30 07:01:59 (permalink)
    From what I am seeing on page 27 of the manual it shows the list of shared lanes and looks like slot 3 shares lanes with the second M.2 port. The top M.2 port shares lanes with the U.2 port.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

OCCiera
    Re: NVME Disabled When Running SLI 2024/04/01 22:44:31 (permalink)
    vcbb10
    Ok, Z490 Dark is in your signature .

Your GPU's should be in PCIe Slot 1 and Slot 2.  This should split the main 16x lanes between both for 8x to both GPUs.  Don't use PCIe slot 3 (the non-silver one).

Slot 2 shares lanes with Slot 4 (bottom slot).  So, you probably can't have anything in Slot 4 because you probably need all 8 lanes in slot 2.  I'd try removing anything in PCIe Slot 4.

GPU 1 in Slot 1.  GPU 2 in Slot 2.  NVMe in M.2 socket 1.

No U.2.  Nothing in PCIe Slot 4.  No GPU in PCIe slot 3 (this is 4 lanes from the PCH and will disable an M.2 slot, and probably won't work with a GPU).

And I think that should work...

Unfortunately, that is not the case.
    Hoggle
    From what I am seeing on page 27 of the manual it shows the list of shared lanes and looks like slot 3 shares lanes with the second M.2 port. The top M.2 port shares lanes with the U.2 port.

That's what I read as well, I even tried disabling some PCH devices to see if that would free up some lanes, but I could get nothing to work.

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102323
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: NVME Disabled When Running SLI 2024/04/02 00:16:13 (permalink)
    If you have a spare HD or SSD maybe try a fresh install of windows to see if everything is detected and the lanes working as they should. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

OCCiera
    Re: NVME Disabled When Running SLI 2024/04/02 16:51:20 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    If you have a spare HD or SSD maybe try a fresh install of windows to see if everything is detected and the lanes working as they should. 

What would the Windows installation have to do with the drive being detected in BIOS?

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: NVME Disabled When Running SLI 2024/04/03 08:00:01 (permalink)
    You are using PM1 or PM2 for your M.2 drive ? (manual p 14-15)

Try the other M.2 slot?

Indicator for M.2 slot LED 24 & 25 om MB - On or Off? Page 10 & 11

Maybe - Not enough power?

Are you using the AUX power connected on the MB, to supply more power to PCIe lanes? (p 14-15 item 8 - Supplemental PCIe 6 pin power)
     (excerpt manual page 18)
    Supplemental PCIe 6-pin Power Connector
    There is a 6-pin PCIe connector at the bottom of the motherboard (See Page 41 for more specifics to the connector itself, and associated wiring/pinouts). This
    connector provides dedicated power to the PCIe x16 slots, augmenting the +12V power provided by the 24-pin and the GPU directly.  This is optional for a single card solution, but is recommended for SLI, CFX,
    and dual-processor video cards.

--> What PSU are you using?

Z490 DARK manual pdf

p54 - 56  all about M.2 setup ---> many directions on setup of BIOS ---> Did you do all of these?
    (partial excerpt)
    If you plan on using an M.2 or U.2 as a boot device, click on or navigate to the
    “Advanced” menu, select “Onboard Device Configuration” and enable the
    desired port.
    Once this is done, press F10 to save and exit, plug in your operating system
    installation medium (likely a thumb drive) and Windows 10 should be able to
    boot to M.2 or U.2 without issue.
    *Note* Some device manufacturers require specific drivers for HDDs or SSDs
    (such as M.2) before Windows can detect the drive for installation. Please make
    sure to consult the manufacturer’s instructions for your HDD or SSD before
    attempting to install Windows to determine if additional drivers are needed.

------------------------------------

Intel 11900K
    (excerpt)

Expansion Options

Scalability 1S Only

PCI Express Revision 4.0

PCI Express Configurations Up to 1x16+1x4, 2x8+1x4, 1x8+3x4

Max # of PCI Express Lanes 20

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

OCCiera
    Re: NVME Disabled When Running SLI 2024/04/16 16:16:25 (permalink)
    Sorry for the late reply!

I made some progress, which ended up creating more questions than it answered, for me.

I was messing with settings seeing if I could get anything to work, and eventually made it unable to POST. (I'm also battling some demons with it REALLY not liking the 2x16 Corsair kit I run with it)
    So I re-flashed the BIOS, and was met with this...

It sees the boot manager? After which it promptly froze. Rebooted, froze again.

On the third reboot, it did not freeze, and let me poke around. It still did not say there was an NVME device detected...

Yet it saw the device...

So, obviously I clicked on the boot option, and it just reset the computer. I did it a second time, and got to Windows Boot Manager!!

(I dual boot Windows 7 and 10) Upon attempting to boot into Windows 7 it crashed, so I rebooted and attempted to go into Win 10...

Booted, with both cards detected!

I have no idea why it still says there are no PCIe resources, why it takes a million reboots to get stuff to function, and quite frankly with the issues I have getting the RAM to work, this NVME drive to work, and Windows 7 to work on a Z490 chipset quite frankly I feel like this computer exists on a house of cards, but if it works it works. I'll see what I can do to get Win 7 working again,
    and will update the thread for anyone that's interested and in case there's anyone else with similar issues. If ANYBODY has ANY idea what is going on I'd love to hear it, even if it's just conjecture.

Thanks!
    Cool GTX
    You are using PM1 or PM2 for your M.2 drive ? (manual p 14-15)

Try the other M.2 slot?

Indicator for M.2 slot LED 24 & 25 om MB - On or Off? Page 10 & 11

I have tried both M.2 slots.

Cool GTX
    Maybe - Not enough power?

Are you using the AUX power connected on the MB, to supply more power to PCIe lanes? (p 14-15 item 8 - Supplemental PCIe 6 pin power)
     (excerpt manual page 18)
    Supplemental PCIe 6-pin Power Connector
    There is a 6-pin PCIe connector at the bottom of the motherboard (See Page 41 for more specifics to the connector itself, and associated wiring/pinouts). This
    connector provides dedicated power to the PCIe x16 slots, augmenting the +12V power provided by the 24-pin and the GPU directly.  This is optional for a single card solution, but is recommended for SLI, CFX,
    and dual-processor video cards.

--> What PSU are you using?

I am using the additional PCIe power, with an EVGA 1300 G2.

Cool GTX

p54 - 56  all about M.2 setup ---> many directions on setup of BIOS ---> Did you do all of these?
    (partial excerpt)
    If you plan on using an M.2 or U.2 as a boot device, click on or navigate to the
    “Advanced” menu, select “Onboard Device Configuration” and enable the
    desired port.
    Once this is done, press F10 to save and exit, plug in your operating system
    installation medium (likely a thumb drive) and Windows 10 should be able to
    boot to M.2 or U.2 without issue.
    *Note* Some device manufacturers require specific drivers for HDDs or SSDs
    (such as M.2) before Windows can detect the drive for installation. Please make
    sure to consult the manufacturer’s instructions for your HDD or SSD before
    attempting to install Windows to determine if additional drivers are needed.

------------------------------------

M.2 is selected in the onboard device config.

Cool GTX

(excerpt)

Expansion Options

Scalability 1S Only

PCI Express Revision 4.0

PCI Express Configurations Up to 1x16+1x4, 2x8+1x4, 1x8+3x4

Max # of PCI Express Lanes 20

Seems well and good to me.
    post edited by OCCiera - 2024/04/16 16:18:22

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: NVME Disabled When Running SLI 2024/04/24 08:48:45 (permalink)
    So looks like a BIOS corruption was fixed by reflashing
    How old is the coin cell on the MB?

To boot into Win7 .... you need to load the drivers from the M.2 drive Mfg for it to boot into OS

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile