EVGA

Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 9
Author
dmcnutt
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 10:49:55 (permalink)
I am not mad at all about the 500mb. I love my card. I just want to know if something is wrong with my card since it crashes every time I run the test once it hits the last 500mb. I am unable to complete the test no matter what driver I have installed. I saw one other person has the same issue with driver crashing
post edited by dmcnutt - 2015/01/25 10:53:27
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 10:53:57 (permalink)
Does it have a problem in any game? Or is it just this specific benchmark that is supposed to get a reaction?
dmcnutt
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 10:56:58 (permalink)
No crashes in games but get significant drops in fps during shadow of mordar benchmark.
howdy2u2
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1896
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 10:58:26 (permalink)
dmcnutt
I am not mad at all about the 500mb. I love my card. I just want to know if something is wrong with my card since it crashes every time I run the test one it hits the last 500mb.

This "test" crashes my cards too, I'm running 980's and the latest drivers. Thing is the 980's are not supposed to have any issues with memory ......so I say this "test" is not so valid. Look at my post #32 or something, I actually ran it several times some would not crash, others would. It gave symbols and mish mash in some of the results. I have no issues in any game I run that I can see, yeah a hiccup here and there "stutter" or what ever you want to call it. I honestly pay no attention to it since it's nice to look at with all the settings on as high as they go. .......glitch here and there. pffffft who cares.
post edited by howdy2u2 - 2015/01/25 17:33:41

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 10:59:14 (permalink)
dmcnutt
No crashes in games but get significant drops in fps during shadow of mordar benchmark.

I don't personally trust the benchmark since the actual game is frame locked. Why add a benchmark that is incredibly bias to the card that is installed, when the game isn't allowed to function that way normally?

If you have concerns over the fps drop, definitely take the time to discuss an RMA with EVGA using the support function. They will get you set up and on the path to gaming again.
doc567
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 13:40:46 (permalink)
I'm very happy with my GTX 970 SSC(new version).  1392 out the box. OC to 1492 mhz. Could go higher but don't need to. 3.7-3.8 in every game so far. No issues.  average 70-110 fps in every game so far, running at 1080p.  Luck of the draw I guess.
post edited by doc567 - 2015/01/25 13:43:02
dmcnutt
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 14:42:07 (permalink)
Mine new SSC clocks to 1585, I was just concerned because it kept failing on the memory test. I love the card and don't want to RMA. I just thought this might be an issue because of this memory bug everyone is talking about. Which I would not have even known existed because gaming performance is amazing, but it fails this test. I thought maybe something was wrong with the card. Memory won't go above 3.5 in games though.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 14:44:01 (permalink)
dmcnutt
Mine new SSC clocks to 1585, I was just concerned because it kept failing on the memory test. I love the card and don't want to RMA. I just thought this might be an issue because of this memory bug everyone is talking about. Which I would not have even known existed because gaming performance is amazing, but it fails this test. I thought maybe something was wrong with the card. Memory won't go above 3.5 in games though.

Nothing is wrong with your card. That test is failing on other cards, and that was what it was designed to do.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 14:51:20 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
dmcnutt

Nothing is wrong with your card. That test is failing on other cards, and that was what it was designed to do.

Um... what? The test works just fine on my cards when tested properly.
dmcnutt
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 14:55:46 (permalink)
And how would I test it properly? I click on the icon that says memory test. Is there some special way I am suppose to run it? I have tried several different drivers and it fails on all of them.
afish
  • Total Posts : 51
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 15:01:56 (permalink)
It appears nothing is wrong with your cards. It is likely something is wrong with you. Did you really buy this hardware so you can run obscure, (often) poorly adapted test software. Even Prime 95 , though it is highly regarded will burn up your computer; and then you want a rma when you toast it and we have to pay for your foolishness. Get a life, buy a game and play it rather than using it for benchmarks. When you get tired of that one buy another and so on.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 15:08:24 (permalink)
dmcnutt
And how would I test it properly? I click on the icon that says memory test. Is there some special way I am suppose to run it? I have tried several different drivers and it fails on all of them.

You have to run the benchmark in headless mode, this means your display must be connected to a iGPU when running the benchmark so the VRAM usage on your card is at 0%.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 15:08:52 (permalink)
Sajin
Um... what? The test works just fine on my cards when tested properly.

Click. Wait. What else is their to do? I understand your cards don't fail, but other are reporting it does. Not sure what your point is here.
RaghuC99
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 15:21:39 (permalink)
 In my humble opinion I think that everyone is freaking out over nothing.
 Here's my explanation as I see it:
  There are two chunks of memory on the GTX 970. The first is 3.5gb, and the second is 0.5gb. This benchmark program, along with other multiple other game benchmark things, is mainly detecting the first chunk of 3.5gb. It does not 'see' the 2nd chunk of 0.5gb. Therefore, when the first 3.5gb is used in the benchmark, it has nowhere to go for the next 0.5gb, so it goes to your DDR3 SYSTEM RAM. This RAM is much much slower than the VRAM in your gpu. The speed results in the benchmark even point to similar speeds as RAM would give under these conditions. 
 However, games still use the 4.0gb fully. The benchmarks/fps counters or whatever say that it's only 3.5gb, but that's because it can't 'see' the other 0.5gb and thus gets pointed to the slower system memory. You may argue that at high settings in Shadow of mordor for example, the game uses 3400mb, that the performance is fine, but as soon as you turn it to ultra and it uses 3500mb+ the performance drops. Again, I'm sure that it's using everything but it isn't really being 'detected'. This brings me to a major point: You may ask why there is lag, then. If VRAM were infinite, Shadow of Mordor maxed out 1440p uses around 4.7gb-6.00gb vram. This is higher than 3.5, and EVEN 4.0, in the gtx 970. This is the reason it lags.

TL;DR: The reason you are lagging is that I think you're using above 4gb either way, as other cards do at the same settings, but the last 0.5gb in benchmarks uses the system ram for speed tests.

Also, yesterday everyone was praising these cards for amazing performance. This random benchmark that came out like 5 months after the release suddenly made it a **** card? If we didnt know about this, we'd just play games and be happy
vorko
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 16:28:12 (permalink)
Everyone still relying on Nai's benchmark as any sort of indicator should read from Nai himself (orig. in German - the link is to google translation to English)

The benchmark measures "actually" not the DRAM bandwidth but the bandwidth of the "global memory" s in CUDA. The global memory in CUDA is a virtual memory space, which includes not only the DRAM, the GPU but also DRAM areas of the CPU.

Yes, well that is not a perfect translation but it's just as some of us suspected. The bench says nothing about the 0.5MB hardware-wise of bandwidth-wise because at that point it starts to use system resources. So either the 0.5MB module is inaccessible because of faulty hardware or it is a form of a driver bug (in mem controller) which should be fixable... still doesn't change anything about the point that we need to wait for an official word from nVidia
joeymir
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 732
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 16:55:03 (permalink)
I just wanted to chime in with my personal experience running 2X Reference GTX 970's. Currently their is very few actual games that can fully take advantage of 4GB of ram on 1080 Resolution(in my case. However my GF had bought me Lord Of The Rings: Shadow Of Mordor. I went ahead and loaded Ultra settings, and monitored VRAM usage. it seems my cards do not want to utilize more than 3579mb of VRAM, and to note, the game has a lot of hitching at this point(stutters), The same kind of behavior I've experienced with my GTX 570 SLI setup, I experienced the same stuttering when that cards reached their peak VRAM availability. Also I did run the "Nai Test" and my cards seem to drop off at the same point others say. I love my cards as for current games on the market they fly! but future games will eventually want to eat up all 4GB of VRAM, and boy do I feel for all the 4K users! From what other users around Guru3d, Geforce forums, the GTX 980 doesn't seem to be affected by these symptoms(hitching/stuttering)in games such as Shadow Of Mordor. This is just a frustrating thing to find out to be honest. $760 for 2x 970's is a lot to dish out, and when I find things out like this, it really gives that bad taste......

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

dmcnutt
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 17:08:35 (permalink)
Wow, really? Sorry I am not an expert like you. I am here asking for help because I am not as smart as some of you guys, but thanks for making me feel stupid. I just read something on the internet and tested it. I was asking if my test results are normal. Thanks for your help. By the way, I'm running 1440p
post edited by dmcnutt - 2015/01/25 17:19:23
doc567
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 17:24:01 (permalink)
afish
It appears nothing is wrong with your cards. It is likely something is wrong with you. Did you really buy this hardware so you can run obscure, (often) poorly adapted test software. Even Prime 95 , though it is highly regarded will burn up your computer; and then you want a rma when you toast it and we have to pay for your foolishness. Get a life, buy a game and play it rather than using it for benchmarks. When you get tired of that one buy another and so on.

RaghuC99
 In my humble opinion I think that everyone is freaking out over nothing.
 Here's my explanation as I see it:
  There are two chunks of memory on the GTX 970. The first is 3.5gb, and the second is 0.5gb. This benchmark program, along with other multiple other game benchmark things, is mainly detecting the first chunk of 3.5gb. It does not 'see' the 2nd chunk of 0.5gb. Therefore, when the first 3.5gb is used in the benchmark, it has nowhere to go for the next 0.5gb, so it goes to your DDR3 SYSTEM RAM. This RAM is much much slower than the VRAM in your gpu. The speed results in the benchmark even point to similar speeds as RAM would give under these conditions. 
 However, games still use the 4.0gb fully. The benchmarks/fps counters or whatever say that it's only 3.5gb, but that's because it can't 'see' the other 0.5gb and thus gets pointed to the slower system memory. You may argue that at high settings in Shadow of mordor for example, the game uses 3400mb, that the performance is fine, but as soon as you turn it to ultra and it uses 3500mb+ the performance drops. Again, I'm sure that it's using everything but it isn't really being 'detected'. This brings me to a major point: You may ask why there is lag, then. If VRAM were infinite, Shadow of Mordor maxed out 1440p uses around 4.7gb-6.00gb vram. This is higher than 3.5, and EVEN 4.0, in the gtx 970. This is the reason it lags.

TL;DR: The reason you are lagging is that I think you're using above 4gb either way, as other cards do at the same settings, but the last 0.5gb in benchmarks uses the system ram for speed tests.

Also, yesterday everyone was praising these cards for amazing performance. This random benchmark that came out like 5 months after the release suddenly made it a **** card? If we didnt know about this, we'd just play games and be happy

Well said on both accounts.  I believe what RaghuC99 said is exactly what's happening. I really don't think any of these benchmark programs are detecting the last 0.5gb.
RainStryke
The Advocate
  • Total Posts : 15872
  • Ribbons : 60
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 18:20:24 (permalink)
vorko
Everyone still relying on Nai's benchmark as any sort of indicator should read from Nai himself (orig. in German - the link is to google translation to English)

The benchmark measures "actually" not the DRAM bandwidth but the bandwidth of the "global memory" s in CUDA. The global memory in CUDA is a virtual memory space, which includes not only the DRAM, the GPU but also DRAM areas of the CPU.

Yes, well that is not a perfect translation but it's just as some of us suspected. The bench says nothing about the 0.5MB hardware-wise of bandwidth-wise because at that point it starts to use system resources. So either the 0.5MB module is inaccessible because of faulty hardware or it is a form of a driver bug (in mem controller) which should be fixable... still doesn't change anything about the point that we need to wait for an official word from nVidia

I've seen people quote his forum posts as some kind of end to the argument because of what they gathered from the translation. If you sit there and read it with the perception of him saying that the benchmark is flawed, you will see what you want to see. If you re-read it with an open mind, you will notice the way google translates his post into English is very disorienting to read. Certain words are off and make it really hard to understand what he's actually saying.

Main PC | Secondary PC
Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

RaghuC99
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 18:26:39 (permalink)
RainStryke
vorko

I've seen people quote his forum posts as some kind of end to the argument because of what they gathered from the translation. If you sit there and read it with the perception of him saying that the benchmark is flawed, you will see what you want to see. If you re-read it with an open mind, you will notice the way google translates his post into English is very disorienting to read. Certain words are off and make it really hard to understand what he's actually saying.

Using his quotes as the end of the argument isn't credible? In that case, why don't you assume what his benchmark says isn't credible? It goes both ways
RainStryke
The Advocate
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 18:29:18 (permalink)
RaghuC99
RainStryke
vorko

Using his quotes as the end of the argument isn't credible? In that case, why don't you assume what his benchmark says isn't credible? It goes both ways

No, it's not credible if your translating from one language to another and there are errors in the translation. Just as tone of voice can change the meaning of a sentence entirely in person... So can the way a forum post is translated from German to English.

Main PC | Secondary PC

32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17

RainStryke
The Advocate
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 18:34:23 (permalink)
Quoting it also takes it out of context.

Here, try to read the whole post and tell me it makes sense without question - #135
https://translate.google....16912375&sandbox=1

Main PC | Secondary PC

vorko
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 18:39:37 (permalink)
Well I don't know about you, but I speak enough German to understand what he's saying. I used google translate only to point the post out to others. Here's the original text:

Mein Benchmark sagt nicht aus, was ihr glaubt, dass es aussagt. Es eignet sich *NICHT* um das Vorhandensein eines VRAM-Fehlers nachzuweisen.

and here's the translation:

My benchmark doesn't say what you think (it does). It is not suitable for VRAM error detection

The other post is much longer and quite technical, but pretty much confirms that his tools doesn't use the 2nd VRAM module correctly because it seems to be working with system resources instead of GPU despite directly requesting GPU VRAM addresses
RaghuC99
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 18:39:59 (permalink)
RainStryke
Quoting it also takes it out of context.

Here, try to read the whole post and tell me it makes sense without question - #135
https://translate.google....16912375&sandbox=1

This hasn't really swayed my opinion, but I completely see your point. Let's just wait for nvidia

vorko
Well I don't know about you, but I speak enough German to understand what he's saying. I used google translate only to point the post out to others. Here's the original text:

Mein Benchmark sagt nicht aus, was ihr glaubt, dass es aussagt. Es eignet sich *NICHT* um das Vorhandensein eines VRAM-Fehlers nachzuweisen.

My benchmark doesn't say what you think (it does). It is not suitable for VRAM error detection

The other post is much longer and quite technical, but pretty much confirms that his tools doesn't use the 2nd VRAM module correctly because it seems to be working with system resources instead of GPU despite directly requesting GPU VRAM addresses

In that case my theory may be right :)
RainStryke
The Advocate
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 18:59:37 (permalink)
I'm not trying to sway opinion.

vorko

Yeah, I saw that in the more recent postings. But it's clearly not testing motherboard RAM because GTX 970 users see 3.5GB with 8GB of system RAM and GTX Titan users see up to 5.5GB of RAM with even more system RAM on that test. I didn't assume it was error detection. I looked at it like a bandwidth test of the packets it's processing all the way up to the full capacity of the GPU's dedicated RAM. I'm not sure what he intended it to be... But it did get Nvidia to respond and admit that the last .5GB of the VRAM is partitioned and ran differently than the GTX 980's. There is an issue here... We just don't know the true technical reason for it. Some don't have the issue of stuttering, but many do once they reach that VRAM limit. The FPS rate looks fantastic on paper, but it doesn't stop the user from getting stuttering and inconsistent frame rate latency.

Main PC | Secondary PC

vorko
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 19:04:21 (permalink)
I think at this point we can all agree that the best is to simply wait for an official from nVidia who I'm sure are looking at all this and are much better equipped for it than anyone else.
RaghuC99
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 19:18:35 (permalink)
RainStryke
I'm not trying to sway opinion.

vorko

Yeah, I saw that in the more recent postings. But it's clearly not testing motherboard RAM because GTX 970 users see 3.5GB with 8GB of system RAM and GTX Titan users see up to 5.5GB of RAM with even more system RAM on that test. I didn't assume it was error detection. I looked at it like a bandwidth test of the packets it's processing all the way up to the full capacity of the GPU's dedicated RAM. I'm not sure what he intended it to be... But it did get Nvidia to respond and admit that the last .5GB of the VRAM is partitioned and ran differently than the GTX 980's. There is an issue here... We just don't know the true technical reason for it. Some don't have the issue of stuttering, but many do once they reach that VRAM limit. The FPS rate looks fantastic on paper, but it doesn't stop the user from getting stuttering and inconsistent frame rate latency.

IIRC what we're saying is that it DOES use the "motherboard" RAM. The amount doesn't matter, you can have 10gb or 100000gb- it'll only use it to 'fill up' what it can't read on the gpu.
billythekid2014
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 203
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 20:06:17 (permalink)
NVIDIA will not do a darn thing  if they were going to they would not of said what they did about the vrm
in there last statement.
So just enjoy your cards and have fun
RaghuC99
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 20:17:27 (permalink)
billythekid2014
NVIDIA will not do a darn thing  if they were going to they would not of said what they did about the vrm
in there last statement.
So just enjoy your cards and have fun

Agreed, they're not going to say anything about it, other than BS statistics
billythekid2014
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 203
Re: Both of my 970 SC not seeing past 3.5gb of Vram 2015/01/25 20:39:12 (permalink)
The 970 has the same memory specs as the 980 so shouldn't they run the same

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 9
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile