Mining Discussion...

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Author
devlin85
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 586
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/20 10:58:10 (permalink)
Viper97
I'd settle for reasonable points... not ungodly points... after I finish knocking a few billion off... that is.

lmao.. 

"Science is much more than a body of knowledge. It is a way of thinking. This is central to its success. Science invites us to let the facts in, even when they don’t conform to our preconceptions." -Carl Sagan

My EVGA Affiliate Code: 50OAGU54AO

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/20 11:52:23 (permalink)
devlin85
bcavnaugh
It will not be very long before Devlin85 will have taken the left chart as well, this is what I think is going to breaking our team for me.
Our Points are not even enough to show up in the right chart anymore. Sorry now that I even brought this up. Sorry Team

don't worry, i'm ending it after 7 days, so it will be around the 1 billion mark when I shut 'er down, which would be less than 1/4 of the points. It was never my intention to run this long term. And it sounds like a few people are going to do some testing of their own  

I have to ask then, what is the goal or point of what you are doing today that will change in 7 days or 1 billion mark?

One Completed Task CPU GPU and ASIC:

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2014/11/20 12:32:24

Attached Image(s)

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Punchy
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2969
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/20 13:28:17 (permalink)
Viper97
I'd settle for reasonable points... not ungodly points... after I finish knocking a few billion off... that is.

Actually I'll probably just mine coins to get the hang of things this way I don't disturb the rankings much.  Once that's figured out (I figure that's the hardest thing to do is make mining for coins and all the things you need to do ahead for wallets and all, then perhaps Crunching will be interesting for a bit.)

You'll be rich!  According to one of the reviews of that product, at today's prices you will be raking in 40-45 cents per day (before subtracting the electricity costs of 2.4kWh/day).  If your electricity is 10 cents / kWh, it will take 260 days for the mining device to pay for itself (if difficulty did not increase).  By then, with ever-increasing mining difficulty, you should be making a profit of 10 cents per day or less.

Not that it isn't an interesting educational experience, but perhaps now you see why I am cynical about the benefit of this type of donation versus donating the money directly upfront.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/20 13:31:38 (permalink)
Punchy
Viper97

Actually I'll probably just mine coins to get the hang of things this way I don't disturb the rankings much.  Once that's figured out (I figure that's the hardest thing to do is make mining for coins and all the things you need to do ahead for wallets and all, then perhaps Crunching will be interesting for a bit.)

You'll be rich!  According to one of the reviews of that product, at today's prices you will be raking in 40-45 cents per day (before subtracting the electricity costs of 2.4kWh/day).  If your electricity is 10 cents / kWh, it will take 260 days for the mining device to pay for itself (if difficulty did not increase).  By then, with ever-increasing mining difficulty, you should be making a profit of 10 cents per day or less.

Not that it isn't an interesting educational experience, but perhaps now you see why I am cynical about the benefit of this type of donation versus donating the money directly upfront.

Punchy So then even if it is for a Project the cost to donating of cash then in the long run Cash Donations are best?

cuarc001
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 509
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/20 14:01:17 (permalink)
Typically cash donations are. However, the idea is if people already have the gear or can get it super cheap. With that said, I make more than that running apps on my cell phones and cashing the points in on eGift cards. Just saying... lol

Gilthanis - HardForums [H] DC'er of the Month 7/13, 7/14 and [H] DC'er of the Year 2014

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5208
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/20 14:08:17 (permalink)
Punchy
Viper97

But Scrooge McDuck says 10 cents a day is a start to a fortune!  Oh and I calculated 79 cents based on my loose understanding.  Hey it's $80 bucks to play.... yeesh.  Okay, then I'll just take my toy and beat the heck out of the stats pages. 

BC... there really isn't a real reason to do things like this... it's just learning for me.  For 80 bucks it's a cheap lesson in setting things up in Linux and Windows.... beats them courses I had to take to get this job!

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/20 14:16:00 (permalink)
Really, if you want to think about it... Cuarc is right... donate money.  We spent a lot of our money on electricity, what do we get out of it?  Only one thing I can think of, it's fun racing each other.

We could all just send the money in... let them rent a super computer... it's probably cheaper and faster too with less headaches from PO'd donors.

Heck we'd be doing them a favor... take us out of the equation and viola instant money and computing power.

Why do we even bother?  What a waste. 

Punchy
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2969
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/20 14:55:34 (permalink)
Viper97
Really, if you want to think about it... Cuarc is right... donate money.  We spent a lot of our money on electricity, what do we get out of it?  Only one thing I can think of, it's fun racing each other.

How do you measure those races except with points?
Yet, at the same time you are willing to let those points be devalued to nothing by one absurdly-pointed project?

We could all just send the money in... let them rent a super computer... it's probably cheaper and faster too with less headaches from PO'd donors.

Realistically you can't rent a supercomputer, cluster etc for cheaper than the money we all spend on electricity, because the provider has electricity, facility, depreciation costs.

I do not see things heading in a positive direction here.  There are a few who are clearly upset by the unbalanced points, and there are a few that seem to be flaunting those points.  That's like putting matter and anti-matter together.  I hope people will try to be more considerate of others' points of view.

cuarc001
SSC Member
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/20 15:01:13 (permalink)
Viper97, when I get home late tonight I will PM you with how I do it with the phones. They are basically free ARM devices within a few weeks. But that will be another discussion...

Gilthanis - HardForums [H] DC'er of the Month 7/13, 7/14 and [H] DC'er of the Year 2014

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/20 15:01:54 (permalink)
Punchy
Viper97

How do you measure those races except with points?
Yet, at the same time you are willing to let those points be devalued to nothing by one absurdly-pointed project?

Realistically you can't rent a supercomputer, cluster etc for cheaper than the money we all spend on electricity, because the provider has electricity, facility, depreciation costs.

I do not see things heading in a positive direction here.  There are a few who are clearly upset by the unbalanced points, and there are a few that seem to be flaunting those points.  That's like putting matter and anti-matter together.  I hope people will try to be more considerate of others' points of view.

You missed my sarcasm... Why do we bother beating folks up about points?  There's a plan that is being circulated to even the playing field.  I agree that the points are crazy... but still it is what it is.  Same can be said when I flip my 980's to folding... from the looks of it, one of them is going to generate approximately the same amount of points as my 4p 48C.

Some folks are point centric as I pointed out (no pun intended), some just like to race, some like to find cures and hope they are helping science, some see this as a  big scam by large pharma to generate cures to sell us at astronomical prices.  It all depends on perspective of the person viewing the situation.

Me, I just have fun... screw the background noise.  If I learn something new it's all good....  if I learn something bad well that's a lesson too!  (Just don't repeat bad lesson... I learned that already.)

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5066
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/20 15:13:06 (permalink)
Viper97
Same can be said when I flip my 980's to folding... from the looks of it, one of them is going to generate approximately the same amount of points as my 4p 48C.

Now your really went and did it...you offended my 4P and it feels like it just went back to the stone age!  I had enough problems getting it to restart this month.  It can see my screen from where it sits and I heard a "growl".  It has told me that the only way that you can satisfy the outrage is for you to send me one of those 980s and then I have to install it onto my 4P.  Sort of like a blood-sacrifice that appeases the Server Gods. 

Sometimes ya just gotta laugh and ignore that your ass is on fire ...well if ya can! 

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/20 17:23:32 (permalink)
Sorry Tex... I'm bench marking my 670's now... I need a Display port cable which will be in Saturday... for the 980 and then I'll bench mark it.  I'm afraid even with overnight service you'd have a heckuva time getting it back to me...

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/20 17:56:09 (permalink)
Juuuuus messin' with ya V...I'm going to take my 4P to "architecture sensitivity training" to help deal with the "inferiority complex".  No seriously, I have plenty to get the job done in DC-land and still like to see what the latest technology can do.  My wife has a different impression of these things, but she supports what we are doing (just not my eccentricities). 

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/20 17:59:21 (permalink)
It's all good my friend... I love playing with technology also... wouldn't trade it for the world.  Well maybe, if I were Emperor and all my hand maidens were, oh good lord... shut up Viper! 

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/20 18:09:37 (permalink)

cuarc001
SSC Member
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/20 19:27:56 (permalink)
Viper97, check your PM's. It may interest you and let me know if you think others would find it helpful.

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/20 20:21:49 (permalink)
Ok... So to some this up so far...

In no particular order...
  • It is what it is
  • Those who want to go for points can, and those that do not like it have to just let that go 
  • Not allow the use of @EVGA so the points do not get blurred farther than they have, and those that do not like it have to just let that go 
  • Use a portion of tracking to demonstrate the regular science done... But it is not accurate...

Well. That is a start!

But I would like to add... If it is not about points, why do we have a couple of folks bragging about how they are going to catch someone who has worked HARD without mining, and that these mining point validate some kind of accomplishment when not even 1% of the same effort was made to toast the points? And or we have two that have, brag about how they will catch the other. All while not caring how the other 300 members feel about being blown out of the water.

Is anyone on the side of mining thinking of the hearts and minds of those who have fought long and hard the way the system has been working? 

My systems right now are working really low scoring projects and I am sliding backwards faster than Bill Cosby is on NBC... How is that bragging? For profit over science?

We came together to not care about the points. We care about the science getting done. All of you have made that clear.

So let me put it to you like this...

Would any respectful group who has spent years building what they have. Allow something worth "Less" that is scored "More" be used to measure the work that has already been done?

Or...

Why does Nascar not allow F-35's to race against their cars every Sunday? Or why will the NFL not allow a female lingerie football team to be one of the teams that plays every Sunday?

Oh yeah!

Fairness!

The mining is NOT the issue, the folks doing it is NOT the issue as I have said. It is the points they give out... 

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/21 04:24:35 (permalink)
Afterburner
Why does Nascar not allow F-35's to race against their cars every Sunday? Or why will the NFL not allow a female lingerie football team to be one of the teams that plays every Sunday?

Because the F-35 is a hunk of junk waiting for an accident and NASCAR doesn't want the added expense of having to clean up after it?

This coming from an old military naval aviation type dude.

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/21 06:16:40 (permalink)
AB,

Since nobody on our team invented this situation, at this point about all that can be done is to wait for BOINC to correct the way that they represent User contributions.  In hindsight, we could have (as a team) agreed not to participate in BU so that our BOINC stats would not be bastardized, but that horse is out of the barn too.  If I were really bothered by the stats (as they are today), then I'd find some other way (even if I had to create my own) of tracking my progress until BOINC corrects the problem.

Bottom-line, there really isn't much anyone can do about this except for engaging the BOINC developers and giving them feedback/ideas.  They appear to be wanting feedback on their ideas to fix the situation and that would be the most positive thing we can do about the issue.

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/21 06:29:37 (permalink)
Here is another angle... This makes our job even harder as we look for new folks as 95% of the planet has no idea what is going on.

If points did not matter, no sport would use them to measure one team over another.

And as we have points... It is a measuring tool. 

This is one reason why the Captains exist. To work through these things before they just allow or create the @EVGA for that project. Unfortunately this one slipped through and is a wonderful learning experience. No one did anything wrong... However this issue should have been talked through first. As we see the dilemma we are in now.

Now...

It may be to late. It may not matter. But I saw for "YEARS" this idea the Stanford/PG would take care of their issue. Never did.... How did that turn out? And I for one would rather have people be upset with me for bring this up, than have the team self destruct like other teams have or we nearly did with folding...

I truly am trying to think about every member all the way down to the 80/20 rule. What would 80% of the team decide to do today with mining, knowing what they know now?

So here we are talking through it. If the majority want me to shut up, I will.

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/21 06:44:34 (permalink)
I for one know of no tangible team formed yet regarding mining... an experimental one yes but that's been deleted.

Still, we are calling it mining... yet it really is more than mining in my mind.  It's mining and contributing to hardware and research projects that have either lost their funding or don't have the funds to keep the hardware up. Aside form the massive skewing of points, I have no problem with that (and only because I don't value points as much as others seem to).  I suppose though that's why I'm always labeled as an outside the box person.  I see things differently.

It's never been my intention to be #1... I leave that for others.

I would think if it ever came down to ASIC or the like type processing being supported by say WCG, Primegrid etc.  then the team would jump at it.

Remember though, dissent among the ranks exists here.  Some folks don't see Primegrid as worthy of their time because it isn't medically related.  Yet our team members participate in the challenges.  Not all BOINC is medical as we know... not with the directness that Folding provides. 

In the end, like your money, IRA etc. when you're dead and buried your points are not going with you.  You're better off buying a pair of sexy undies off of eBay to be buried in.

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/21 06:45:53 (permalink)
AB,

This discussion was the correct thing to do and has been useful. 

I would not necessarily compare this situation to what happened in Folding and that is simply because I don't know the people at BOINC or that they will fail to take action (as PG did).  The people at PG became known for it, ignored even their own Folding Team Representatives and thereby basically disregarded the concerns of Folders.  In my personal email conversations with Dr Pande, it became pretty clear to me that he is a good person that had difficulty taking real, effective action.  He preferred to allow his Mods inside the Folding Forum to deal with User concerns and they had no authority to do anything. It was a failed leadership situation from within and at the top that was/is destined to have the kind of problems we all observed for years.

Maybe someone that has experience with these BOINC Developers can comment on what we may expect from them.  If they take their time to carefully seek input and effect a fix, even if that takes months, I would give them a thumbs up.  That is my hope at this point.

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/21 06:57:16 (permalink)
All good points...

If Mining, or whatever it should be called, helped fight childhood cancer, or save a project that is, do you not think I for one would be all up and in that? 

AS for PG (Assuming not folding and Prime grid is the topic)... I started with WCG in Dec 2008 and PG in April 2012... One uses GPUs the other CPU's As we have discussed many times, that is why the points an many of those cases are different. The GPU's do a better job on the WU's... Yet my points are drastically different. Even though I have worked WCG for most of those years.

And... There is no argument. If Mining did more of the projects that BOINC has had for years I bet most folks would jump all over it because we would have best of both worlds.

Reality is they are not. This is not working the other projects. It has one "Token" project. 

I worry about a slippery slope...

Again... It is not the act of mining or the people. It is how it drastically skews the rankings for no gain in humanity needs. If the points had been like PG (Prime Grid) no one would care as much as I am hearing.

It is about hard working folks getting tossed to the side by a for profit project. 

Must I remind us... That is one of the reasons we like Crunching!? No EVGA bucks, no kick backs, no discounts at retailers. Just honest giving...

cuarc001
SSC Member
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/21 07:25:16 (permalink)
Afterburner, this is one "Token" project that is currently in operation. Donate@home came before them. Just because it was a GPU instead of an ASIC makes it no different in concept. It's points were higher than most other GPU projects. GPUGrid (whom are the ones that created Donate) is also still well known for being one of the highest point paying projects and is probably the closest BOINC project comparable to F@H. The only reason people are having this discussion is simply the points. And since any project can add ASIC coin generating to the project, at any moment even your favorite BOINC projects could become the same a BU. That is what you really need to be concerned with when making this decision.

David Anderson & company sometimes respond well and sometimes just don't make it a priority. Even when they try, they sometimes flub it up horribly. Look at the Credit New system. It is garbage and was supposed to fix the point disparity between projects. Most projects toss it out after giving it a go as it only creates more problems. It is better for us as teams to shift how we look at things. I will never look at my teams stats and say a heavy GPU cruncher is doing more than my CPU's. It is certainly apples to oranges. We do talk smack to each other at times and use the BOINCwide stats because it simplifies things. However, we also compare ourselves in individual projects too. I don't know how long I was chasing top spot at WCG in my team before realizing it wasn't going to happen with the hardware I had. Even now with the FAH incident, our members have shifted and I will not attain it. But I have maintained a top 10 standing for quite a long time. I participate in over 80 DC projects. Some are not BOINC. How would one compare those? Simple, you just don't. If people want to get excited about something for a few days, that doesn't mean that is what they are all about. It is just a quick run of fun. Next day they may be just talking about who returned the most work units at Rosetta. Who on your team has put in the most run time at WCG? Points matter. Work units matter. Number of projects matter. But most of all just doing something matters. Enjoy what you do. Have fun. Stay united. That is all I can really suggest.

devlin85
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 586
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/21 08:10:41 (permalink)
If there's one this this topic has done, it's gotten an active response! isn't this just a day old? 87 replies, 733 views.. lol..

Attached Image(s)

"Science is much more than a body of knowledge. It is a way of thinking. This is central to its success. Science invites us to let the facts in, even when they don’t conform to our preconceptions." -Carl Sagan

My EVGA Affiliate Code: 50OAGU54AO

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/21 11:43:01 (permalink)
devlin85
If there's one this this topic has done, it's gotten an active response! isn't this just a day old? 87 replies, 733 views.. lol..

Are you by chance a Politician?

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/21 16:01:54 (permalink)

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/21 16:26:46 (permalink)
You know a possible solution might be...

We create a stickied thread called "BOINC Points, how to decode them".

And have one of our experienced members (If they would be so kind) to break down say the top five high number producing project and the top five lowest scoring projects. Outlining/explaining them.

It would include both versions (As shown by our [H] friend) of the BOINC scoring. I for one like the one that excludes mining...

This way folks can learn/better understand what is what. So if they want to be point chasers and not find cures or what have you, so be it. At least that might help those who do not frequent the forums have a quick way to catch up. And or for a way that others can see the points are not our goal, helping others is.

As we are not the team for profit or drama. We are however all about helping for the greater good. 

I think that might help so those who may want to go play can. And other to not fret about falling in the ranks as they help find a cure for alzheimer's. 

Thoughts? 

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/21 17:00:12 (permalink)
I would say leave it as it is.

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Mining Discussion... 2014/11/21 17:15:02 (permalink)
Just a thought... science isn't just about finding 'cures'.  It's finding answers. 

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile