EVGA

EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Author
mcknig.k
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/26 12:59:39 (permalink)
I championed EVGA earlier on this thread, but alas, due to all of the concerns with the new cards, I pulled the trigger on the Zotac GTX 970.  While many are quick to say "Zotac makes rubbish", nearly every testimonial I've come across in the past few days has heralded their customer service, RMA procedure and extended warranty (5 years).  

Zotac seems to be the only other brand, beside EVGA, that makes at least one minimalist looking card and doesn't appear to market all of their coolers to 12-year-old Transformers fanatics (I'm lookin' at you MSI and ASUS).  It's also nice to see a high performance small form factor card (Zotac 20cm vs 24cm from EVGA).  I also like that the Zotac GTX 970 comes with an aluminum shroud, as opposed to a plastic one.  Also appears to be a decent overclocker (reading +220 MHz from 1076 base on Overclock.net).

If you've become a doubter, check out what Zotac has to offer 

post edited by mcknig.k - 2014/09/26 13:04:44
astacy12
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 231
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/26 13:44:00 (permalink)
Casuist
outlabin
my saga so far

Bought Six Evga 970 cards for clients system builds 2 cards are fine the other four had coil whine 1 bad 3 not so bad but still not acceptable returned all 4 them and went for 3 MSI and 1 gigabyte due to what they had in stock at the time... and glad to report no coil noise on any ....This is very poor from EVGA i think they have dropped the ball on this one .....so far its cost me Time and money sorting there faults out.

As for people stating that running in vsync ect helps reduce or removes the noise is still unacceptable yes you are going to have some form of noise but this should not be a resonant frequency that we humans should be hearing.

I can not be expected to give clients there new built pc's and tell them you get a free dog whistle included

Shame on you EVGA and yes i have been very loyal with evga for many years but this is unacceptable me personally my next cards for system builds & for my own system will not be a EVGA..this is why i am not loyal to one company.

Aye, it seems the 970 SC and 970 SSC versions are rubbish, but the 970 FTW and all 980s are substantially better. Definitely the 980s are getting great reviews, but honestly I've heard next to nothing on the 970 FTW so that's an educated assumption on my part. I sure hope I'm right though because that's what I'll be getting if it ever becomes freaking available again. >.<

You have heard next to nothing about the 970 FTW because they haven't been released yet. I'm not saying you will hear bad reviews on it, just letting you know as we all sit and wait for them.
KLEYBA
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 936
  • Ribbons : 12
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/26 13:49:34 (permalink)
some here have said "turn on VSync, it makes the card run better; not so loud...."   Okay, here are my questions:  why should any one of us have to compromise with the defects in products coming from any corporate manufacture?  Why should we be the ones who have to find a workable solution to their substandard products?  after all, they received our hundreds of dollars for which we all worked very hard; especially in this horrible economy--which is rumored to get even worse.

EVGA puts out an Official Statement defending their cheaper, corner-cutting product, which claims: We Meant to Do That...  And people buy it.  Most of us can deduce that EVGA probably had a boat load of ACX 1.0 coolers and cheaper caps which they didn't want to scrap and absorb a loss.  So since these coolers kinda fit; and since these VRMs were kinda noisy, the company used them.

look, great customer service doesn't make a bad product better...from any company.  You guys paid $400 for these cards!  shouldn't you at least demand that your product reflect your financial loss?
post edited by KLEYBA - 2014/09/26 13:51:47
Casuist
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/26 13:52:57 (permalink)
astacy12
You have heard next to nothing about the 970 FTW because they haven't been released yet. I'm not saying you will hear bad reviews on it, just letting you know as we all sit and wait for them.

I don't believe that's true as I spoke with an EVGA sales rep at the beginning of this week and he said that they actually released a batch on announcement day (last Thursday was it?), but they sold out super fast apparently. :(

... but yeah, we're all still waiting aren't we? que sera sera.
VVhiplash
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 392
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/26 14:24:52 (permalink)
godgxjs
Could someone please comment on the loudness and temperature of the card? This comparison (Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 Review Roundup - Performance Analysis, from bit-tech.net) has made me a bit worried about the evga card, mainly because they make it sound as if the quality of the card components isn't as good as the other 2 brands. I have never had a bad experience with evga which is why I decided to get their SSC GTX970 AXC 2.0 from newegg. Could someone also comment about the coil whine if any. Thanks.

I'm also wondering if the card will come with a backplate included or if evga will send us early adopters free backplates when available.

EDIT:
The coil whine coming from my gtx 970 SSC acx 2.0 is very low and not noticeable at all unless I put my ear next to the card. My temperatures are really good too. The highest temperature I have gotten even after overclocking the card is 62C. I am using a custom fan profile, but it doesn't get loud enough to be bothersome at all. 
The highest score I managed to achieve in Unigine Valley with my GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 is 4724 (stable).
Settings:
Ultra
1920x1080 full screen
AA off
Overclock:
Power Limit: 110%
Core Clock: +120MHz
Memory Clock: +300MHz
Core Voltage: +87mV (This is just to make sure I am testing the card at its full potential)

The max temp I got was 62C using a custom fan profile. The max fan speed used was 72%, which wasn't loud enough to be bothersome. 

I will keep testing the card, as I am sure that I can still achieve slightly higher clocks for both the core and the memory. 

So far I'm very pleased with this card. I so hope EVGA give american customers the extended 5 years warranty and the backplate too. However, everyone has to realize that EU customers had to pay a higher price for their cards, which might be why EVGA is offering them some added value to their purchase.

I have a very in depth review of EVGAs gtx 970 with ACX 2.0 from Anandtech.com It is a great, educational, and nonbiased review which certainly put all of my concerns to rest about the supposed "quality issues" of the card or its cooler. ACX 1.0 may be a different story, but 2.0 (explained in this review) looks fantastic.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga

ll Steiger-Dynamics Maven ll Intel i7-5930k 4.2Ghz ll ASRock X99 Extreme6/AC ll Liqmax II 240 ll GeiL Super-Luce 32gb 2666mhz ll (x2)EVGA GTX 980 SC ll Samsung XP941 500gb and 850 Pro 1TB ll EVGA PS 1000W Platinum ll
DarkOneZ13
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/27 01:49:41 (permalink)
Whiplash88
godgxjs
Could someone please comment on the loudness and temperature of the card? This comparison (Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 Review Roundup - Performance Analysis, from bit-tech.net) has made me a bit worried about the evga card, mainly because they make it sound as if the quality of the card components isn't as good as the other 2 brands. I have never had a bad experience with evga which is why I decided to get their SSC GTX970 AXC 2.0 from newegg. Could someone also comment about the coil whine if any. Thanks.

I'm also wondering if the card will come with a backplate included or if evga will send us early adopters free backplates when available.

EDIT:
The coil whine coming from my gtx 970 SSC acx 2.0 is very low and not noticeable at all unless I put my ear next to the card. My temperatures are really good too. The highest temperature I have gotten even after overclocking the card is 62C. I am using a custom fan profile, but it doesn't get loud enough to be bothersome at all. 
The highest score I managed to achieve in Unigine Valley with my GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 is 4724 (stable).
Settings:
Ultra
1920x1080 full screen
AA off
Overclock:
Power Limit: 110%
Core Clock: +120MHz
Memory Clock: +300MHz
Core Voltage: +87mV (This is just to make sure I am testing the card at its full potential)

The max temp I got was 62C using a custom fan profile. The max fan speed used was 72%, which wasn't loud enough to be bothersome. 

I will keep testing the card, as I am sure that I can still achieve slightly higher clocks for both the core and the memory. 

So far I'm very pleased with this card. I so hope EVGA give american customers the extended 5 years warranty and the backplate too. However, everyone has to realize that EU customers had to pay a higher price for their cards, which might be why EVGA is offering them some added value to their purchase.

I have a very in depth review of EVGAs gtx 970 with ACX 2.0 from Anandtech.com It is a great, educational, and nonbiased review which certainly put all of my concerns to rest about the supposed "quality issues" of the card or its cooler. ACX 1.0 may be a different story, but 2.0 (explained in this review) looks fantastic.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga

That review was generic garbage! They didn't even compare the card any of the other competitor's brands. I can't believe how much koolaid people are sipping these days! Is rabid fanboyism everywhere anymore? Evga is charging just as much of a premium sometimes more for a far worse quality product. You people got served by EVGA & half of you peeps just turn around and say may i have another sir. Would you buy a car with a plastic engine & a glass body & pay just as much, maybe a little more than a quality car too? How blind can you possibly be?
_cyberdyne_
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 140
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/27 05:58:29 (permalink)
godgxjs
Ok, since I was the one who started this thread I'm going to share my current opinions with everyone. My gtx 970 ssc axc 2.0 is coming tomorrow, and I have decided to give Evga the benefit of the doubt. I have always trusted this brand and it has never disappointed me before, and after much reading and deliberation I have decided to trust them again. Putting all the unfair criticism aside (witch hunt), there are few factual points to consider. The evga 970 axc cards are a bit louder and run a bit hotter than the competition. Now I'm not saying that it is because there are defects on the manufacturing or the design of the card. People who say this are just angry that the card didn't turn out to be as good as they wanted it to be, when compared to other brands. This does not mean that the card won't perform as it should or that it will malfunction or break based solely on its design. If that was the case, then it wouldn't have passed Nvidia Greenlight tests. Products that compete with each other have always been different. That's what makes competition possible and good for consumers. If you want the card with the lowest temperatures and the lowest noise then it seems the EVGA 970 isn't for you this time around. But that does not give anyone the right to say that EVGA is bad now or that the card has manufacturing defects, because that is way out of line. The engineers at EVGA decided that the design was good enough and that is why they produced it that way. They aren't always trying to figure out exactly what other brands are going to come out with in order to beat them in every single aspect of the card, because that is not how it works. They design a product, they make it, then they test it extensively, then they send it to Nvidia and they test it as well. They have been doing this for quite a while now, and they must have been doing something right because last time I checked, EVGA is probably the most reliable manufacturer of aftermarket Nvidia GPUs. So if it happens that this time, other manufacturers produced 970s with lower temperatures and noise (by a small margin), then so be it. I congratulate their design team and engineers for achieving that. I, for one, don't blindly look for the card with the lowest temperatures and noise in order to buy it. I look for a good all around product that is backed up by a reliable brand and an excellent customer service. In this case, this happens to be the EVGA gtx 970 ssc acx 2.0. It's the highest end evga model of the 970 available on the market right now (before they ran out of stock). I will be testing the card once I receive it tomorrow afternoon. 

And before people start calling me a crazy EVGA fanboy, I assure you I'm not. EVGA is just a brand that has earned my respect and preference over the years, and this time I did my best to analyze the situation as objectively as I could. 

Bro, Could you do us a favor next time you post?   Write complete sentences and Paragraphs? Thanks..
post edited by _cyberdyne_ - 2014/09/27 06:03:00

VVhiplash
iCX Member
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/27 08:17:37 (permalink)
DarkOneZ13
That review was generic garbage! They didn't even compare the card any of the other competitor's brands. I can't believe how much koolaid people are sipping these days! Is rabid fanboyism everywhere anymore? Evga is charging just as much of a premium sometimes more for a far worse quality product. You people got served by EVGA & half of you peeps just turn around and say may i have another sir. Would you buy a car with a plastic engine & a glass body & pay just as much, maybe a little more than a quality car too? How blind can you possibly be?

Um.... I think your blowing this waaaaaay out of perspective here.. Please don't assume that everyone here is a drooling indoctrinated mind slave.  I can understand how that review would have been frustrating if you were just looking for graph comparisons of noise/temp/performance results but it wasn't garbage. This review wasn't meant to compare the card to other cards, its about the supposed "poor-quality" constructino of EVGAs cards. Its purely meant to educate the consumer on the construction, ideology and operation. And its great to see the difference between the ACX 700 cards compared to this new ACX on the 900 cards. It really shows that EVGA is dedicated to improvements in ever generation, even if its gradual.

So FEW people have actually had coil whine problems, and the "fan noise" has aleady been nailed down to the fan profile. The fans themselves aren't louder than any other fan, but the profiles are higher. I know there have been a couple of articles that compare the EVGA 970 to the Asus Strix 970 and the noise difference is 10db (something like 29-39) but 32db is classified as a whisper   Thats pretty darn quiet still, and its all still changeable in the fan profile settings.

Some bad cards, somewhere at some time, from ANY company are a guarantee. Thats just the world of tech. Its not like EVGA is our local dirty hollywood-cigar-smokin-crazy car salesman thats beating a baby seal for a BETTER DEAL and then selling us total garbage at BMW prices. We're not getting cheated. They've sold THOUSANDS of cards, and only... 3 maybe 5 people on evga forums have complained? And ONE website, ONE WEBSITE complains about the noise and coil whine in their review, and the WORLD LOOSES ITS MIND... Don't you think, to be fair, if the reviewer had a defective card, that they should have returned it and reviewed a good one?

My main point being, problems will happen. At some point. I've had Asus problems, AsRock problems, gigabyte problems, Seagate problems, you name it. What really counts, is how the company takes care of you when these problems happen. There is no ONE company for videocards, or motherboards, or ram that will ALWAYS be reliable. The industry is in constant fluxuation and competition, so its bound to change. And all the kinks of the new GPU series are still getting worked out by EVERY company right now. A lot of these problems that people are having are largley due to the fact that X99 has various SLI, RAM, PCI, issues etc. 

All in all, I've never been treated as well anywhere else, than at EVGA. These guys have BY FAR THE BEST customer service and helpful forums. I LOVE EVGA and everything they've done as well as everything they've "stood for" if you want to get that cheesy. Besides, good things come to those who wait. These things WILL get sorted out. Just be patient. New tech releases always have a few kinks on release.
post edited by Whiplash88 - 2014/09/27 08:25:57

ll Steiger-Dynamics Maven ll Intel i7-5930k 4.2Ghz ll ASRock X99 Extreme6/AC ll Liqmax II 240 ll GeiL Super-Luce 32gb 2666mhz ll (x2)EVGA GTX 980 SC ll Samsung XP941 500gb and 850 Pro 1TB ll EVGA PS 1000W Platinum ll
KLEYBA
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 936
  • Ribbons : 12
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/27 08:40:21 (permalink)
Whiplash88
DarkOneZ13

Um.... I think your blowing this waaaaaay out of perspective here.. Please don't assume that everyone here is a drooling indoctrinated mind slave.  I can understand how that review would have been frustrating if you were just looking for graph comparisons of noise/temp/performance results but it wasn't garbage. This review wasn't meant to compare the card to other cards, its about the supposed "poor-quality" constructino of EVGAs cards. Its purely meant to educate the consumer on the construction, ideology and operation. And its great to see the difference between the ACX 700 cards compared to this new ACX on the 900 cards. It really shows that EVGA is dedicated to improvements in ever generation, even if its gradual.

So FEW people have actually had coil whine problems, and the "fan noise" has aleady been nailed down to the fan profile. The fans themselves aren't louder than any other fan, but the profiles are higher. I know there have been a couple of articles that compare the EVGA 970 to the Asus Strix 970 and the noise difference is 10db (something like 29-39) but 32db is classified as a whisper   Thats pretty darn quiet still, and its all still changeable in the fan profile settings.

Some bad cards, somewhere at some time, from ANY company are a guarantee. Thats just the world of tech. Its not like EVGA is our local dirty hollywood-cigar-smokin-crazy car salesman thats beating a baby seal for a BETTER DEAL and then selling us total garbage at BMW prices. We're not getting cheated. They've sold THOUSANDS of cards, and only... 3 maybe 5 people on evga forums have complained? And ONE website, ONE WEBSITE complains about the noise and coil whine in their review, and the WORLD LOOSES ITS MIND... Don't you think, to be fair, if the reviewer had a defective card, that they should have returned it and reviewed a good one?

My main point being, problems will happen. At some point. I've had Asus problems, AsRock problems, gigabyte problems, Seagate problems, you name it. What really counts, is how the company takes care of you when these problems happen. There is no ONE company for videocards, or motherboards, or ram that will ALWAYS be reliable. The industry is in constant fluxuation and competition, so its bound to change. And all the kinks of the new GPU series are still getting worked out by EVERY company right now. A lot of these problems that people are having are largley due to the fact that X99 has various SLI, RAM, PCI, issues etc. 

All in all, I've never been treated as well anywhere else, than at EVGA. These guys have BY FAR THE BEST customer service and helpful forums. I LOVE EVGA and everything they've done as well as everything they've "stood for" if you want to get that cheesy. Besides, good things come to those who wait. These things WILL get sorted out. Just be patient. New tech releases always have a few kinks on release.

wow, were you typing this as you drank Their red Koolaid?  :)
VVhiplash
iCX Member
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/27 08:45:40 (permalink)
KLEYBA
wow, were you typing this as you drank Their red Koolaid?  :)

*quickly whipes mouth and tosses coolaid* -NO!

And for all of you infidels out there, I have the perfect forum post from a guy who just received his GTX 970, and gave his full honest opinion about fan noise, performance, and temps. Check it out here! http://forums.evga.com/My-first-impressions-of-the-GTX-970-SSC-ACX-20-m2223083.aspx Spoiler Alert! No coil whine present whatsoever, performance is out of this world, fans were loud at the beginning, but fixed it with a great "sweetspot" custom profile he made at 45% speed keeping his idle temps and sound really low, while load temps sit at 75c peak average

*slips away chanting, 'one of us.. one of us'*
post edited by Whiplash88 - 2014/09/27 08:52:48

JoeBroniee
  • Total Posts : 51
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/27 09:38:22 (permalink)
darn, was hoping to get one too, but i guess i'll just have to wait.

Ncase M1,
Asus M6impact
intel i5 4690k
HyperX Genesis
EVGA GTX770
Silverstone sx600g
Samsung 840EVO

Casuist
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/27 11:57:14 (permalink)
Whiplash88
*quickly whipes mouth and tosses coolaid* -NO!

And for all of you infidels out there, I have the perfect forum post from a guy who just received his GTX 970, and gave his full honest opinion about fan noise, performance, and temps. Check it out here!  Spoiler Alert! No coil whine present whatsoever, performance is out of this world, fans were loud at the beginning, but fixed it with a great "sweetspot" custom profile he made at 45% speed keeping his idle temps and sound really low, while load temps sit at 75c peak average

*slips away chanting, 'one of us.. one of us'*

Bwuahahaaa!!! 

You've got a great sense of humor mate! Well said, haha... "gooble gobble, gooble gobble..." 
Tylerslikewhoa
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/27 15:48:32 (permalink)
After reading countless reviews online it's sad that Evga has fallen so far down the list.  I guess you can't stay on top for ever
EvgaFTWNvidia
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/27 16:31:26 (permalink)
Im pretty sure evga isnt bad. I read whiplashes comment and couldnt agree more. Every company is going to have mistakes and defect that almost a guarantee. I want a 980 from the giveaway/sweepstake, but if they give a 970 for free am i going to reject it because 5 people complained about coil whine, most definatly not.
Tylerslikewhoa
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/27 16:55:13 (permalink)
With that said, I feel like EVGA does walk away from this launch with one vulnerability exposed, and that is the ACX 2.0 cooler.  This line is taken right from the Anandtech review.  Not good news
astacy12
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 231
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/27 17:11:50 (permalink)
"Why do we fall down?"... Everyone needs a slap once and a while to keep/pick their game up.

ikomiko
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/27 17:59:34 (permalink)
Does the acx 2.0 have the same pcb layout as the acx? I have got the Alphacool NexXxxos 760 Cooler which fits perfect on the EVGA GTX970 ACX

The compatibility list from alphacool says that the EVGA GTX970 ACX 2.0 model would also fit with their Alphacool NexXxxos 760 Cooler.

i heard only the FTW and SSC use the gtx980 layout.
post edited by ikomiko - 2014/09/27 18:04:41
WSFrazier
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/27 20:18:01 (permalink)
Got my system all built with my 970 SSC ACX 2.0. I don't overclock, just leave everything default. But so far I am loving it, FPS increase across the board for what I play.

Noise is non existent, just hear my usual case fans, (corsair carbide 540 case). Have yet to see temps over 56*C while playing my usual games.

Couldn't be happier, worth every penny.

Just my 2 cents.
qioden
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/27 23:24:46 (permalink)

this is the cooler for EVGA GTX 970 FTW, much much better, and i think that would be my target when amazon finally have stock
sahafiec
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1344
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/28 00:17:56 (permalink)
that's the only EVGA GTX 970 model I would pay money for right now.

Update 9/26: While it's still under development, EVGA has given us an early copy of their zero fan speed idle vBIOS for testing, and we can confirm it's working. Please see our Power, Temp, & Noise section for more details

so stay tuned folks! 
post edited by sahafiec - 2014/09/28 00:21:11

i5 6600k | z170 m8g | bequiet pure rock | gtx1070 FTW | 2x8gb 2666mhz | 250gb m.2 & 2tb | 650W P2 | Enthoo Pro M Acrylic | pb258q

EvgaFTWNvidia
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/28 15:26:53 (permalink)
sahafiec
that's the only EVGA GTX 970 model I would pay money for right now.

Update 9/26: While it's still under development, EVGA has given us an early copy of their zero fan speed idle vBIOS for testing, and we can confirm it's working. Please see our Power, Temp, & Noise section for more details

so stay tuned folks! 

yeah i new evga had this problem under control. They just didnt put the software for 0db out immediatly because that wasnt first on thier list.
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/29 02:36:08 (permalink)
One week into owning the ACX 970... and it's going back to the store as soon as I can get the MSI or Asus. I've tried all of the fan presets, there's a persistent whine and if I set it to Quiet my game starts stuttering. I would be fine with accepting that as a defect (these things happen) and giving it another shot but now I know that a misaligned heatsink isn't even recognized as an issue I have no desire whatsoever to experience this "amazing" customer service you keep doe-eyedly babbling on about. In fact, let's analyze what they had to say: 

"The way the EVGA GTX 970 ACX heat sink was designed is based on the GTX 970 wattage plus an additional 40% cooling headroom on top of it. There are 3 heat pipes on the heatsink – 2 x 8mm major heat pipes to distribute the majority of the heat from the GPU to the heatsink, and a 3rd 6mm heatpipe is used as a supplement to the design to reduce another 2-3 degrees Celsius. Also we would like to mention that the cooler passed NVIDIA Greenlight specifications."
When I attach a heatsink I generally try to make sure all the pipes are in direct contact with the die, but I'm not a company trying to save face by assuming their customers are technically inept morons, so what do I know?

"Due to the GPU small die size, we intended for the GPU to contact two major heat pipes with direct touch to make the best heat dissipation without any other material in between."
I was confused why they even left (er, designed) the third heatpipe if it wasn't going to touch anything, but then I remembered something. Air is a much more efficient heat conductor than thermal compound and copper. Duh!

"We all know the Maxwell GPU is an extremely power efficient GPU, our SC cooler was overbuilt for it and allowed us to provide cards with boost clocks at over 1300MHz. EVGA also has an “FTW” version for those users who want even higher clocks."
Blah blah blah, buy our other products.
WSFrazier
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/29 06:02:16 (permalink)
OddLawnGnome
One week into owning the ACX 970... and it's going back to the store as soon as I can get the MSI or Asus. I've tried all of the fan presets, there's a persistent whine and if I set it to Quiet my game starts stuttering. I would be fine with accepting that as a defect (these things happen) and giving it another shot but now I know that a misaligned heatsink isn't even recognized as an issue I have no desire whatsoever to experience this "amazing" customer service you keep doe-eyedly babbling on about. In fact, let's analyze what they had to say: 

"The way the EVGA GTX 970 ACX heat sink was designed is based on the GTX 970 wattage plus an additional 40% cooling headroom on top of it. There are 3 heat pipes on the heatsink – 2 x 8mm major heat pipes to distribute the majority of the heat from the GPU to the heatsink, and a 3rd 6mm heatpipe is used as a supplement to the design to reduce another 2-3 degrees Celsius. Also we would like to mention that the cooler passed NVIDIA Greenlight specifications."
When I attach a heatsink I generally try to make sure all the pipes are in direct contact with the die, but I'm not a company trying to save face by assuming their customers are technically inept morons, so what do I know?

"Due to the GPU small die size, we intended for the GPU to contact two major heat pipes with direct touch to make the best heat dissipation without any other material in between."
I was confused why they even left (er, designed) the third heatpipe if it wasn't going to touch anything, but then I remembered something. Air is a much more efficient heat conductor than thermal compound and copper. Duh!

"We all know the Maxwell GPU is an extremely power efficient GPU, our SC cooler was overbuilt for it and allowed us to provide cards with boost clocks at over 1300MHz. EVGA also has an “FTW” version for those users who want even higher clocks."
Blah blah blah, buy our other products.

Mine works great, quiet and cool.

:shrugs:
DcCrow
  • Total Posts : 55
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/29 08:53:47 (permalink)

This right here. Its amazing to me how quickly a few small problems can be blown way out of proportion. 

Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz | ASRock z77 Extreme 6 | 16GB Corsair Vengence 1600 Mhz | Nvidia Ref. GTX 980Ti  | Cooler Master V8 | Antec HCG 750 | Seagate 2TB 7200 | Patriot Pyro 60GB SSD | Corsair Carbide 500R
maintainin
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/29 14:17:27 (permalink)
Aww man, just ordered 2 of the EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 cards. Should be here tomorrow. I'll come back and post my results. I've used EVGA for my last 3 cards and never had a problem. Hope I'm not let down with this purchase.

If I do have a problem I'm very interested in trying the  "zero fan speed idle vBIOS" mentioned above. Will that be something released to owners of these cards regardless of if they have problems?
alarinn
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/29 14:17:48 (permalink)
They could have always made the audible to dogs and cats:-)  

I'm not bothering with the fan since I'm replacing it with this:

::grumble::  links not showing

www. alphacool. com /product_info.php/info/p1274_Alphacool-NexXxoS-NVXP-Nvidia-GTX760---poliert---Kupfer.html?language=en&XTCsid=0uidkftjpgpiaq14eb195leso5

Already been confirmed that it works and I have one on order.  I have 7 other fans on the case (tri fans on the rad and 4 others on the case) so I seriously doubt coil whine will even be an issue and might actually cancel out those fans:-)
EVGA_Marketing
Director of Technical Marketing
  • Total Posts : 184
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/29 22:39:45 (permalink)
Regarding the recent GTX 970 feedback, we would like to provide the following statements and actions to address it:

1. We understand that some users were expecting the ACX 2.0 fan version to be available on the launch day, but unfortunately the ACX 2.0 development schedule did not allow us to have ACX 2.0 product available at launch. We plan to offer an ACX 2.0 fan upgrade program, stay tuned for news on this.

2. For EVGA GTX 970 ACX cards we have two different fansink designs, FTW ACX 2.0, and SSC and below. For those users who have SSC and below, and are not pleased with the cooling performance, we are adding the GTX 970 FTW to the stepup program as an option.

3. We are going to release a new BIOS upgrade to all 970 ACX owners that will fine tune the fan performance and provide better acoustics. Stay tuned.

4. Some EVGA users have reported inductor noise on their GTX 970, if you think you have this type of concern then please contact our support.

Sorry for the inconvenience, EVGA's top priority is customer satisfaction.

Thanks,
Joe

EVGA Marketing 
jdarwin@evga.com 
714-528-4500 x118 

Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/29 22:46:53 (permalink)
Or I could just buy the product from a rival company with superior design and performance that works as it's intended to on day one. For the same price.

Yeah, gonna do that.
ManBearPig
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6130
  • Ribbons : 20
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/29 23:19:55 (permalink)
EVGA_Marketing
Regarding the recent GTX 970 feedback, we would like to provide the following statements and actions to address it:

1. We understand that some users were expecting the ACX 2.0 fan version to be available on the launch day, but unfortunately the ACX 2.0 development schedule did not allow us to have ACX 2.0 product available at launch. We plan to offer an ACX 2.0 fan upgrade program, stay tuned for news on this.

2. For EVGA GTX 970 ACX cards we have two different fansink designs, FTW ACX 2.0, and SSC and below. For those users who have SSC and below, and are not pleased with the cooling performance, we are adding the GTX 970 FTW to the stepup program as an option.

3. We are going to release a new BIOS upgrade to all 970 ACX owners that will fine tune the fan performance and provide better acoustics. Stay tuned.

4. Some EVGA users have reported inductor noise on their GTX 970, if you think you have this type of concern then please contact our support.

Sorry for the inconvenience, EVGA's top priority is customer satisfaction.

Thanks,
Joe

Great to see 

qlaval
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 quality concerns 2014/09/29 23:28:07 (permalink)
"For EVGA GTX 970 ACX cards we have two different fansink designs, FTW ACX 2.0, and SSC and below. For those users who have SSC and below, and are not pleased with the cooling performance, we are adding the GTX 970 FTW to the stepup program as an option."

That's a very nice option for the setup program.
Wish a similar option would be available as well for the GTX 980...
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile