Helpful ReplyCrashing all of the time but not straight away

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4336
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/03 14:55:28 (permalink)
Norrdic91
Could all of the crashing by caused by a keyboard driver crashing? cause i plugged my gaming keyboard into my laptop and whenever i ALT + TAB it seems to crash the drivers then reset the drivers again but could it possibly be that it could crash the system whenever i ALT + TAB? 

It's not likely but you can always just remove the gaming keyboard's drivers and allow the native windows drivers to be utilize for the interim to eliminate any issues just in case.

Norrdic91
  • Total Posts : 52
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/04 14:20:42 (permalink)
Well it wasn't my HDD or my keyboard. I simply can't install windows 7 onto my HDD, it hangs on expanding files when windows goes to install. I don't know if a damaged mobo can be the cause of the problem or it could be something else. I'm pretty desperate to find out what it is cause i've spent a small fortune for a students money. I'm going to perform a memtest tomorrow but that's the only thing i can think to do without buying a new mobo or cpu or both
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/04 14:54:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Norrdic91 2014/08/09 14:18:38
Norrdic91
Well it wasn't my HDD or my keyboard. I simply can't install windows 7 onto my HDD, it hangs on expanding files when windows goes to install. I don't know if a damaged mobo can be the cause of the problem or it could be something else. I'm pretty desperate to find out what it is cause i've spent a small fortune for a students money. I'm going to perform a memtest tomorrow but that's the only thing i can think to do without buying a new mobo or cpu or both

Damaged memory can cause an expansion problem with Windows 7 installations onto hard drives. Please see the discussion here. You can always try to install it from a USB instead of a DVD by making an image and booting from it to eliminate any potential issues. The method would be discussed here. Potentially it could be a SATA controller problem if your motherboard was damaged but, other than getting another secondary SATA controller to install on your system, your recourse would be to RMA the motherboard for a replacement.

Norrdic91
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/09 14:09:27 (permalink)
Apparently it was a damaged HDD file structure they repaired it and installed windows but my system is still crashing when loaded up. Does it sound like a dieing hard drive or something else ?

James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/09 14:20:57 (permalink)
Norrdic91
Apparently it was a damaged HDD file structure they repaired it and installed windows but my system is still crashing when loaded up. Does it sound like a dieing hard drive or something else ?

You can always use HDTune to take a look at the hard drive SMART information for the drive controller. If there are any indications of a failing hard disk it would be there. Take a look using that with the 'health' tab and if there are any failures it would be listed and highlighted in yellow or red.

DAVE2HOT4U
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1114
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/10 01:23:25 (permalink)
Norrdic91
Could all of the crashing by caused by a keyboard driver crashing? cause i plugged my gaming keyboard into my laptop and whenever i ALT + TAB it seems to crash the drivers then reset the drivers again but could it possibly be that it could crash the system whenever i ALT + TAB? 

Have you tried a different keyboard or went into device manager and look for any yellow exclamation points ?
Norrdic91
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/13 14:22:34 (permalink)
Yeah mate, nothing came up. Anyways, got a new hard drive and everything was working fine until i got a BSOD error and it restarted but it instantly came up and said no bootable device was recognised so i held the power down and then started back up and it runs fine until eventually i will get a BSOD. Can anyone help? This computer is getting beyond a joke now. So annoyed at the minute, it's one problem after another
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49170
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/13 14:36:01 (permalink)
Sounds like it's the HDD. Go out and buy a new HDD or SSD and install it to see if it fixes the issue. Software testing ins't always 100%.

James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/13 15:34:25 (permalink)
The question is really what BSOD message are you getting? Is there any minidumps available to be viewed so it can be looked into? Might want to see what the BSOD event ID is giving you to narrow down more of what is causing the problem.

Norrdic91
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/13 16:00:41 (permalink)
Sajin
Sounds like it's the HDD. Go out and buy a new HDD or SSD and install it to see if it fixes the issue. Software testing ins't always 100%.

I did mate, i went out and bought a brand NEW hdd, so i don't think it can be that if it is then i'm the most unluckiest man in the wholeeeeee world. 

James_L
The question is really what BSOD message are you getting? Is there any minidumps available to be viewed so it can be looked into? Might want to see what the BSOD event ID is giving you to narrow down more of what is causing the problem.

I would love love love to tell you what the BSOD message is my friend but it instantly closes like straight away so i can't even see any of the code. It just goes off restarts the PC then goes to boot then it says can't find boot device. 
Norrdic91
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/13 16:58:03 (permalink)
My computer crashed and after it blue screened and rebooted this is what loaded up. " />
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49170
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/13 17:51:17 (permalink)
Are you running the latest motherboard BIOS? If not, update your motherboard BIOS to the latest version. If you are running the latest motherboard BIOS have you tried resetting the CMOS to see if it helps with your crashing? 

To check and see what your most recent BSOD Description & STOP Code are simply download bluescreenview, open it up and tell us the information, the BSOD Description (Bug Check String) & STOP Code (Bug Check Code) are what we need. You can even post a pic like this...

Norrdic91
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/16 04:25:19 (permalink)
It doesn't actually show up in the bluescreenview when it blue screens, it's really strange i'm not sure. 

I've tried to update the bios but it runs into some problem with security when i try to update it. 

I have reset the BIOS before but it hasn't changed anything. It just feels like the computer just randomly doesn't recognise the HDD when i'm using the computer. It worked perfectly yesterday nearly all day. It just happened today and nothing showed in the bluescreenview. 
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/16 05:35:22 (permalink)
If you are able to get into the BIOS of the system to make changes go to where that screenshot suggests and ensure that the option for both Legacy and UEFI are chosen. I think that option is 'both' for the setting. Also you may want to ensure that the UEFI is having the secureboot disabled in the BIOS for better compatibility for the OS. I have found on other systems that the secureboot option often prevents some devices from being allowed to be used because it wasn't in the system initially or the options weren't correctly placed in the BIOS for the UEFI to recognize them by GUID. Perhaps one of those may be causing your issue. I have seen quite a number of threads about your motherboard, M5A97, and these types of issues. I do recognize one of them possibly being yours on a different forum requesting help on this issue but I am unsure as the amount of help request threads for this issue on that particular motherboard is quite a large number.

Norrdic91
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/16 05:45:27 (permalink)
It's just strange that the system boots up fine and everything until it BSOD then it just doesn't seem to find the HDD but yes i will do what you said about the secureboot! i was looking at doing it before but i wasn't sure what it would do. It's just strange if it is the MOBO then that's 3 parts of the system i've had to change in the like month or so. It's basically buying a totally new system which i really can't afford to do at the moment. 
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/16 11:57:28 (permalink)
Norrdic91
It's just strange that the system boots up fine and everything until it BSOD then it just doesn't seem to find the HDD but yes i will do what you said about the secureboot! i was looking at doing it before but i wasn't sure what it would do. It's just strange if it is the MOBO then that's 3 parts of the system i've had to change in the like month or so. It's basically buying a totally new system which i really can't afford to do at the moment. 

I absolutely understand you on that one. I haven't updated my system (other than a video card) since 2008. I'm still running an ASUS M3A78-CM motherboard, 8gb DDR2 and a Phenom II x965 BE processor. Wish I could have updated to an i7-2600k when they came out but, alas, finances as they are I just can't afford the changes right now.

Norrdic91
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/17 03:32:34 (permalink)
Aslong as the system works, why change it? I wish i didn't change my old PC really, it was really poor but i've spent nearly a grand on this computer now and it just constantly blue screens which is annoying. 
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/17 07:54:57 (permalink)
Norrdic91
Aslong as the system works, why change it? I wish i didn't change my old PC really, it was really poor but i've spent nearly a grand on this computer now and it just constantly blue screens which is annoying. 

Mainly to keep updated with more of the latest features that I would tend to run into in virtualized environments. I don't have any issue in using my older system at all.

Norrdic91
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/18 06:50:44 (permalink)
James, Would it be ok to PM you my problems and what i've done so far and just go through it with you? See if we could come up with some sort of answer?
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Crashing all of the time but not straight away 2014/08/18 10:06:40 (permalink)
Norrdic91
James, Would it be ok to PM you my problems and what i've done so far and just go through it with you? See if we could come up with some sort of answer?

Sure, not a problem at all.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile