EVGA

Helpful ReplyHot!Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 11
Author
Archvile82
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/19 23:06:55 (permalink)
I found disabling smartscreen "check apps and files" fixed some black screens. On top of that disabling browser hardware acceleration fixed the PC freezing followed by a software reboot. However I was unable to wake the screen from power save with the latest hot fix driver. Easy fix is again to disable VRR on the TV to re-initialize the signal. Seems these bugs are a combination of windows and drivers, I'm just thankful none of its hardware and I can work around the issues. 

I have provided feedback to Nvidia.
LocutusHUN
  • Total Posts : 89
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/20 01:31:46 (permalink)
Can you guys check something please?

This morning, as i came back to the pc (running 24/7) there was no signal again. Could not wake up the screen, stays black.
But, yesterday i set up a remote desktop funktion, from wich i was able to log in, and see, that the pc is running fine. It just dont give any signal out. Tried win+ctrl+shift+b, but that also does not bring it back.
Then, i went into the displays menu, and turned ON gsync. The display came immediately back, with gsync turned on in the driver also.
Yesterday i was quitting GTA5, with gsync, when it went black. Then, the opposite was the solution, so turning OFF gsync. Display came back.
Maybe this has to do something with gsync signaling?

Edit: Didnt see your post Archvile82, but seems to be the same for me, with disabling or enabling VRR solving the black screen.

X470 Taichi Ultimate, 3700X, 32GB 3600 Ballistix, eVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W, LG OLED55CX 4K120
jamesleroux
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/20 10:41:30 (permalink)
new firware bundled with the latest X1 precision.. Running it now, and retesting HW acceleration in chrome.. Lets see how long i can go without a TDR
jamesleroux
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/21 14:37:09 (permalink)
no crashes since the firmware update... so far so good
ComicBookAssassin
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/21 17:56:15 (permalink)
Nooooooo! I just sent off my Graphics card for RMA 🤦🏾‍♂️

Motherboard- Asrock 570x Phantom Gaming, Ram- Corsair Vengeance 2X 16Gb @3400Mhz, Cpu- AMD Ryzen 3600x, Power Supply- Evga 850 Platinum, Graphics Card- Evga 3090 FTW3 Ultra V2 Black Lips, WinOS- Samsung M.2 250, Game Storage- Corsair 1TB 4.0 NVME, Additional storage- X3 250GB Samsung SSD’s, Cooling- Noctua D15 Twin Tower, Case- Lian Li Lancool2 with Mesh Kit

LivedOrcen
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/21 20:49:18 (permalink)
Hello everybody, I'm also a not-so-happy Evga rtx 3080 xc3 Ultra owner, and I've been having the same problems you all had, this thread helped me make some progress, so I wanted to share it.

-I had the same problem with Firefox and youtube videos (Corrected by disabling hardware acceleration).
-Got black screen and had to reboot the computer almost instantly with some games. Sometimes I would be able to play for hours and after the latest driver the problems got worse.

The main difference is that I was able to reproduce the error almost instantly with a game I was playing (Genshin Impact). On this game the driver error would happen between 1-5 minutes of gameplay, so I started trying the potential fixes here.

I'm not sure which one of the last 2 fixes did the trick (or if it's the combination of both), but as of right now the game runs properly with no crashes after 40 minutes of gameplay, then I finally logged off (This is really a progress, the game has been crashing non stop all afternoon while I tried different fixes such as firmware upgrade, replacing cables, etc). No matter the fix, couldn't make more than 5 minutes of gameplay on that specific game, so it was ideal to test.

Anyway, I downloaded the old drivers ( 456.71 from Nvidia) and before trying it I wondered about one of the last posts regarding the windows wallpaper service, since I had it set up in slideshow mode. I decided to just try disabling that, and some weird happened. The moment I set it from Slideshow to a static picture, the black screen error happened and I had to reboot the computer again.
Once I got back I went directly to try the game and there were 0 crashes so far, so I call this definitely progress.

TL;DR: Try disabling the desktop wallpaper if you have it on slideshow.

In case it helps, I use a dual monitor setup, one at 144hz and the second one at 60hz. Perhaps that's related since I seen a lot of people having similar setups with this error.

I'll let you guys know if I run into the error again, but after watching the same game crash about 30 times and not a single one after that fix I believe I'm into something.
nbczb1996
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/22 08:01:42 (permalink)
Updating new firmware works! I can now set power management to normal in Nvidia Control Panel, and enable moderate power saving for PCIE. Just need to download the latest version of X1 and it will prompt you to update the firmware of your card :)

No more black screen crashes with these standard setting and hw acceleration on in chrome XD
ComicBookAssassin
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/22 08:34:04 (permalink)
nbczb1996
Updating new firmware works! I can now set power management to normal in Nvidia Control Panel, and enable moderate power saving for PCIE. Just need to download the latest version of X1 and it will prompt you to update the firmware of your card :)

No more black screen crashes with these standard setting and hw acceleration on in chrome XD

How old is the Firmware because on the 12th when I got the card it asked to update the firmware  which it did and causes the fans to spin up fast as it is doing it. But if you are saying that you updated the firmware around the date I said then it’s probably the same firmware but I can’t try it as the Card has been RMA’d after having tried loads of drivers that didn’t resolve it.

Motherboard- Asrock 570x Phantom Gaming, Ram- Corsair Vengeance 2X 16Gb @3400Mhz, Cpu- AMD Ryzen 3600x, Power Supply- Evga 850 Platinum, Graphics Card- Evga 3090 FTW3 Ultra V2 Black Lips, WinOS- Samsung M.2 250, Game Storage- Corsair 1TB 4.0 NVME, Additional storage- X3 250GB Samsung SSD’s, Cooling- Noctua D15 Twin Tower, Case- Lian Li Lancool2 with Mesh Kit

jamesleroux
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/22 09:08:46 (permalink)
ComicBookAssassin
nbczb1996

How old is the Firmware because on the 12th when I got the card it asked to update the firmware  which it did and causes the fans to spin up fast as it is doing it. But if you are saying that you updated the firmware around the date I said then it’s probably the same firmware but I can’t try it as the Card has been RMA’d after having tried loads of drivers that didn’t resolve it.

Newer than that. Get the latest Precision x1 (v1.1.4.0) the bios update piggybacks on that. (weird way to do it but whatever... Day 2 and still 100% stable.   You did it EVGA! (knock on wood)

note: for me the firmware is now at: 
post edited by jamesleroux - 2020/12/22 09:10:48
jamesleroux
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/22 12:28:55 (permalink)
bah.. jinxed it.. crashed again... not fixed.
stephenta
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/22 12:34:34 (permalink)
I RMA'd my card (I've had it for about a month now) a 3090 FTW3 and they sent me back a refurbished unit.  Very upset that I paid almost 2k for this card just to get a refurb unit.  I would've done an exchange from where I originally purchased but clearly it's OOS.
LocutusHUN
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/23 02:35:27 (permalink)
Is it normal, that EVGA does not even respond to a service ticket in a week?

X470 Taichi Ultimate, 3700X, 32GB 3600 Ballistix, eVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W, LG OLED55CX 4K120
LivedOrcen
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/23 08:18:24 (permalink)
My fix worked for about 24hs then all of the sudden I started getting crashes again. This time I changed the cable to a different displayport and so far no issues. Using the latest drivers, firmware updated and standard power mode. Will keep you guys updated.
Zone15
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/23 09:03:21 (permalink)
So far I've noticed that setting my TdrDelay to 8 seems to have fixed the problem.  I think the problem is with Windows thinking the driver has crashed when it hasn't and trying to restart it.

PartNumber                   DateEntered            Notify Sent
10G-P5-3897-KR     9/17/2020 7:31:26 AM       YES
LivedOrcen
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/23 16:41:08 (permalink)
Zone15
So far I've noticed that setting my TdrDelay to 8 seems to have fixed the problem.  I think the problem is with Windows thinking the driver has crashed when it hasn't and trying to restart it.

I got a new error while playing Genshin after setting TdrDelay to 8. On practical terms the error is the same, black screen and have to reboot, however, in the event log I got this result:

"Application GenshinImpact. has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware."

Thought it may be useful while I troubleshoot it if somebody has a similar error on their applications even with TdrDelay at 8.
LocutusHUN
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/24 02:22:27 (permalink)
TdrDelay does not solve the issue, this has been already tried by others. 

On the other hand, nvidia customer service just sent me this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3t2LeQN6SA
Now, here the issue does not look like our. But who knows, maybe it helps for someone.

ComicBookAssassin
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/24 02:35:34 (permalink)
LocutusHUN

On the other hand, nvidia customer service just sent me this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3t2LeQN6SA
Now, here the issue does not look like our. But who knows, maybe it helps for someone.

i don’t think Nvidia understand that the forced black screen crashes are different from the chrome black screen, I wish it was just chrome because I only use my PC as a gaming computer so black screen chrome wouldn’t make any difference to me. Think there is another thread with that issue

Sultan.of.swing
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 174
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/24 02:49:39 (permalink)
Black screen in Chrome is easily fixed by deleting the shadercach folder in user/yourname/appdata/local/google/chrome/userdata/ShaderCache
LocutusHUN
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/24 02:54:15 (permalink)
ComicBookAssassin
LocutusHUN

i don’t think Nvidia understand that the forced black screen crashes are different from the chrome black screen, I wish it was just chrome because I only use my PC as a gaming computer so black screen chrome wouldn’t make any difference to me. Think there is another thread with that issue

Basically anything that uses hardware acceleration in idle causes black screens for a lot of people. Chrome, or browsers are just the most apparent ones from these, and the most widespread used.
The wallpaper engine crashes, lightroom crashes, adobe and other graphics programs crash also. And even games, that are low gpu usage, for example in the menus, we saw examples for crashing with this nvlddmkm error.
I know that nvidias suggestion seems irrelevant, i just pasted it here, so maybe it helps for someone.

Archvile82
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/24 03:59:04 (permalink)
Did anyone try disabling windows defender smartscreen (app and local files setting) ? Since I disabled that I have not had a single black screen. Currently on the latest hot fix driver.

Instructions can be found here if anyone is unsure - https://www.tenforums.com...-web-windows-10-a.html
ComicBookAssassin
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/24 04:31:32 (permalink)
LocutusHUN
ComicBookAssassin
LocutusHUN

Basically anything that uses hardware acceleration in idle causes black screens for a lot of people. Chrome, or browsers are just the most apparent ones from these, and the most widespread used.
The wallpaper engine crashes, lightroom crashes, adobe and other graphics programs crash also. And even games, that are low gpu usage, for example in the menus, we saw examples for crashing with this nvlddmkm error.
I know that nvidias suggestion seems irrelevant, i just pasted it here, so maybe it helps for someone.

Not having a go i looked at the Timmy Joe vid doesn't seem to be related to the windows complete crashing. Any thing that helps as it seems to be just us forum people that are trying to resolve this issue.

Archvile82
Did anyone try disabling windows defender smartscreen (app and local files setting) ? Since I disabled that I have not had a single black screen. Currently on the latest hot fix driver.

Instructions can be found here if anyone is unsure - https://www.tenforums.com...-web-windows-10-a.html

Archvile82

Instructions can be found here if anyone is unsure - https://www.tenforums.com...-web-windows-10-a.html

Will try it when i get my card, back but these are random and it took 15hours of game play before mine started, so i wouldn't mark it as solved just yet. Please update us on this though and if anyone else does this please feed back as i would rather not RMA another card and wait for ages to get a new one where the exact same issue is going to happen.

Archvile82
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/24 04:42:30 (permalink)
It is one of those bugs that makes you feel like pulling your hair out due to the amount of money spent. I actually had the browser freeze with my 2080ti but it would occure a couple of times a month, it become more common since installing the 3080 which I will say has been superb for games, not a single crash in cyberpunk and I been playing in 5-6h stints (nearly 50h in total) - this is after C9 firmware updates and latest drivers.

I do feel it's related to a bug in windows and it's impacting Nvidia drivers negatively.

Just a side note, when I had the browser freezes with the 2080ti the screen would be garbled before the reboot. After plenty of testing it turned out to be memory. Since I moved to 2 sticks of Patriot 3200 the freeze wouldn't be garbled. O originally had 4 sticks of Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB which proved unstable.
post edited by Archvile82 - 2020/12/24 04:45:22
LivedOrcen
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/24 07:16:55 (permalink)
Archvile82

Instructions can be found here if anyone is unsure -

I've tried, unfortunately didn't solve the issue. Kind of a bummer since I'm running out of options. Spending almost all my free time attempting to get this fixed.
Archvile82
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/24 07:49:19 (permalink)
Tried disabling HAGS and Windows VRR ? Differnt display port on the card / monitor ? On my LG C9 HDMI port 1 always caused problems with signal dropouts.
LivedOrcen
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/24 08:30:12 (permalink)
HAGS already disabled as well as VRR. I'm going to try changing the PSU since it's a 750w and it has its years, from what I see there are some recommendations to use 850w instead of the 750w nvidia recommends. May as well try a 1000w but those are kinda expensive for a test. I would hate to change the PSU and wind up having the same issue, although it may be the best for the long term.
LivedOrcen
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/24 09:49:48 (permalink)
I ordered a new 1000w PSU and will let you guys know if this fixes it.
Sdla191
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/24 14:03:53 (permalink)
still experiencing this issue. i thought it might've been Nvidia frameview sdk but it wasn't. just to reiterate i'm having problems with hardware acceleration DISABLED both in chrome and firefox. happens randomly but usually during low usage. it's not the same problem as the one in that youtube video above. you can tell the GPU is disconnected by the fact that the OS gets all laggy and one of the monitors goes black. afterburner even says GPU is lost. i have a 144hz main and a 60hz secondary. maybe that seems to be a common theme among us. i'm going to try switching around the GPU ports but i doubt that would help. EVGA and Nvidia is trash for not even saying one thing about this.
ComicBookAssassin
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/25 06:05:17 (permalink)
Guys like you I’ve been pulling out my hair and I now look like fryer tuc! I came across a video and now I’m wondering if too much PCIE draw from the board is the issue? Here is the vid https://youtu.be/NFn-YiFQHsk ideally we need a good response from Evga directly as I trust Evga but my confidence in there Graphics card product is being eroded. And I’m in two minds to tell scan switch to a new product as I’ve lost faith in this one! And I would rather wait a month for a more expensive card ie ASU’s Rog Strix, I’m fed up paid so much waited so long and no official feed back from EVGA at all it’s like they have buried there head in the sand!!! i might be wrong with this conclusion but until some top bod comes on here and says otherwise and they know what the problem is I’ll chalk it down to hardware problem, so I’ll be looking at a new company, I’ve been Evga ever since my brother told me they where good but these problems requires an official response @Jacob Freeman where are you?!
post edited by ComicBookAssassin - 2020/12/25 06:08:17

LocutusHUN
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/25 07:46:33 (permalink)
ComicBookAssassin
Guys like you I’ve been pulling out my hair and I now look like fryer tuc! I came across a video and now I’m wondering if too much PCIE draw from the board is the issue? Here is the vid https://youtu.be/NFn-YiFQHsk ideally we need a good response from Evga directly as I trust Evga but my confidence in there Graphics card product is being eroded. And I’m in two minds to tell scan switch to a new product as I’ve lost faith in this one! And I would rather wait a month for a more expensive card ie ASU’s Rog Strix, I’m fed up paid so much waited so long and no official feed back from EVGA at all it’s like they have buried there head in the sand!!! i might be wrong with this conclusion but until some top bod comes on here and says otherwise and they know what the problem is I’ll chalk it down to hardware problem, so I’ll be looking at a new company, I’ve been Evga ever since my brother told me they where good but these problems requires an official response @Jacob Freeman where are you?!

Two things.
1. If the idle crashing in browser would have to do anything withe PCIE power draw, why isnt it crashing in games, when the power draw is multiple times bigger?
2. Not just EVGA cards are affected. I saw posts with nearly every other brand. 

ComicBookAssassin
Re: Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide 2020/12/25 13:25:12 (permalink)
LocutusHUN
ComicBookAssassin

Two things.
1. If the idle crashing in browser would have to do anything withe PCIE power draw, why isnt it crashing in games, when the power draw is multiple times bigger?
2. Not just EVGA cards are affected. I saw posts with nearly every other brand. 

My Card was crashing in game CP2077, the only game that was played on the card and it only started doing it after 15 hours of play and that’s over 3 or 4 days. Now I was able to play CP2077 after repeatedly mounting and I mounting it then just pulled it out and left it for a hour as it completely dropped from the motherboard. Then it started working well able to play the game but soon exiting to desktop it crashed. Ive not got the time and inclination to be messing with a £1700 card.

I’ve only seen this with EVGA, I’ve searched ASUS and the crashing issues were the first ones with the high over boosting drivers. Unless you can provide a like? I would love it not to be a hardware thing and would love to have my EVGA card but man all I want to do is game and right about now I have no faith in the card and well Evga are not reassuring anymore about this issue.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 11
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile