EVGA

980 ti constantly crashing

Author
irefly
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/02/10 18:38:26 (permalink)
I've run DDU and uninstalled every graphics driver it could find. I then installed only the latest required graphics driver. I'm still getting  the driver has stopped and has recovered about every 20 minutes. I haven't overclocked or done anything special to the software. I took it out of the box and installed it. Please help.

4 Replies Related Threads

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: 980 ti constantly crashing 2016/02/10 19:07:51 (permalink)
    irefly
    I've run DDU and uninstalled every graphics driver it could find. I then installed only the latest required graphics driver. I'm still getting  the driver has stopped and has recovered about every 20 minutes. I haven't overclocked or done anything special to the software. I took it out of the box and installed it. Please help.

Hello and welcome to the forum. We need a lot more detail on your system hardware...include details on your motherboard model, power supply model and watts, memory and type, what OS you're running and under what conditions the driver error is occurring. The more detail, the better.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 980 ti constantly crashing 2016/02/10 19:08:36 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums

More information please.

MB - BIOS version

CPU

RAM

PSU

OS

New build or updated build with the 980 Ti GPU?

Did you just upgrade to Windows 10?

post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/02/24 14:32:29

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

irefly
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: 980 ti constantly crashing 2016/02/10 20:09:36 (permalink)
    Ah, apologies, tired and frustrated.

Motherboard: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    EVGA GeForce 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ SC+ Backplate
    AMD FX(tm)-9370 Eight-Core Processor 4.42 GHz
    Corsair 16 GB RAM
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends 2501, 4/8/2014
    SMBIOS Version 2.7
    PSU Corsair AX850

As far as the conditions when it's happening, doesn't really matter what I'm doing. I could be on Facebook, checking Gmail, or playing an MMORPG. If I'm in a web browser the crashes are more like hiccups, but if I'm playing a game it throws me out because of the freeze and I have to wait for the Window to respond. Other times I have to restart the computer.

Thanks for your responses...and being friendly.
    post edited by irefly - 2016/02/10 20:15:45
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 980 ti constantly crashing 2016/02/10 22:45:57 (permalink)
    Let's try to get this one solved quick...

#1 Perform a clean boot of windows.

#2 Uninstall Precision X/Afterburner if installed, make sure to select "no" to saving profiles if asked.  Reboot the PC now if you had to uninstall PX or Afterburner.

#3 Use DDU (Display driver uninstaller) in safe mode to clean out all your nvidia drivers. Use the clean and restart (highly recommended) option.

#4 Perform a clean installation of video drivers.
    1. Download & save graphics driver 361.43 (win 7/8) 361.43 (win 10) to your desktop. Run the graphics installer located on your desktop once the download is complete. 
    2. Select custom advanced install, under custom installation options uncheck all options except the physx system software, if you have a 3D capable monitor and would like to use 3D at some point please select both 3D options, check mark perform clean install, then click next to install the driver, reboot when asked.
    #5 Retest system for crashing. If still crashing try running your video card in debug mode...

#1 Open nvidia control panel, select help, enable debug mode. Retest system for crashing while card is running in debug mode.

If you can't enable debug mode try underclocking the card with msi afterburner. Set core clock (MHz) to -105 or as far negative as you can set it. Set memory clock (mhz) to -105. Click apply (check mark button) to apply the changes. Leave afterburner open while retesting the system for crashing. If you're still crashing after running the card in debug mode/underclocked with afterburner...

Are you running your RAM in XMP mode inside the BIOS? If so, please disable XMP and set your RAM manually inside the BIOS. The frequency, timings & voltage set inside the BIOS should match the JEDEC stickers on the sides of your RAM modules...

Retest system for crashing after setting up ram manually. If still crashing check your psu voltages...

PSU Testinghttp://www.jonnyguru.com/...;ndfaq_id=28 
    You will need a Digital Multimeter for testing your PSU. You want all three rails to be within ATX spec, ATX Specification: 12V: 11.40 to 12.60,  5V: 4.75 to 5.25,  3V: 3.135 to 3.465. If any of your rails hit the minimum spec I would replace the PSU with a new one.   

Back probing: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-protection-calculate-consumption,3066-6.html (Read Measuring Voltage)

HOW TO: Properly load your system when checking PSU voltages.    
    #1 Download & Install Prime95   
    #2 Download & Install Unigine Heaven 4.0.   
    #3 Open both Prime95 & Heaven 4.0 Run Small FFT test for Prime95. Run Heaven 4.0 @ max settings. Run both of these tests at the same time while checking voltages.

If your psu voltages checkout ok and you're still having a problem try checking your ram with memtest...

RAM Testing: Run Memtest86+ v5.01 for a few passes to rule out faulty RAM. http://www.memtest.org/download/5.01/memtest86+-5.01.usb.installer.zip You will need a USB flash drive to install memtest onto. Test each stick of RAM individually.

If all your ram shows no errors and you're still having problems...

#1 Try re-seating the card to the motherboard.
    #2 Try re-seating pci-e power cables at both the gpu/psu.
    #3 Try a completely different set of pci-e power cables.
    #4 Try a different pci-e slot.
    #5 Check for cpu/gpu overheating while at idle/gaming.
    #6 Make sure all your system devices are running the latest drivers available. http://station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&view=containers&id=5&sort_order=0&Itemid=353&lang=en is a good place to find all the latest drivers for all your system devices.
    #7 Try testing the card in another system to see if you can reproduce the crashing. Take the card to your local computer repair shop if you don't have another system to test the card in.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile