• Hardware
  • Latest BEST PCIe 4.0 riser cable?
2024/03/05 14:48:47
RAVENEVGA
I'm wanting to know what the very best PCIe 4.0 riser cable for my GPU.  I'm wanting to vertical mine, but have had bad luck in the past.  
2024/03/08 12:14:19
Cool GTX
RAVENEVGA
I'm wanting to know what the very best PCIe 4.0 riser cable for my GPU.  I'm wanting to vertical mine, but have had bad luck in the past.  

No idea who makes the best one, I have never seen a third party review of riser cables

My experience has been good with several sold by LIAN LI, with my PCIe 4.0 GPU & MB

PCI-e 4.0 x16 Riser

LIAN LI PW-PCI-420  (200 mm long)

LIAN LI PW-PCI-4-60X  (600 mm long)

My suggestions for best results is to avoid any sharp bends in the cable, make a nice curved bend by wrapping around a Sharpie or other object
2024/03/17 09:05:26
RAVENEVGA
Thank you for the reply, Cool GTX!  :-)

The reason I was asking is because I had issues with screen freezing with my first cable.  I got a second cable later, a LINKUP Ultra PCIe 4.0 X16, and my computer wouldn't even start up at all.  I hope the Lian Li one works.  Is there some sort of thing I need to do in BIOS, or something, in order to use a cable like this?
2024/03/20 12:02:01
Cool GTX
BIOS changes / just check that PCIe is set to Gen 4.0 if all parts are rated for/ will work at 4.0

if you need to troubleshoot any video issues - set PCIe to 3.0 & test

I do not not recommend that you start with PCIe set to Auto detect .... though it might work, I prefer to set the PCIe Gen manually
2024/03/20 15:02:56
RAVENEVGA
Okay.  When not using a cable like this, should BIOS be set to 4.0, or is that just when using an extender cable?
2024/03/20 17:12:20
Cool GTX
RAVENEVGA
Okay.  When not using a cable like this, should BIOS be set to 4.0, or is that just when using an extender cable?

Yes, you could use the Auto setting for PCIe Gen in the MB BIOS settings; but, if something does not work correctly, you would not know if/ why the PCIe Gen is not working correctly - until you did some testing

Rig in your signature, the MB supports PCIe 5.0 & the GPU PCIe 4.0

I always like to manually set PCIe Gen setting in the BIOS. Then if GPU testing shows an issue with PCIe speeds not being what is expected, I do not have to wonder if MB correctly set PCIe Gen

general FYI: Always best to test GPU plugged into the MB when possible, before adding a riser cable or when troubleshooting a GPU issue.

Hope this Helps add clarity
2024/03/21 15:34:36
RAVENEVGA
Thanks for your help!
2024/03/21 16:22:45
Cool GTX
Your welcome, happy to help
2024/03/22 07:16:09
RAVENEVGA
So sorry, but being a novice in BIOS, I wanted to ask about how this should be set:
I don't see a way to post an image, so I guess I'll have to type it out.

In Advanced:
PCIe Configuration
Above 4G Memory Assignment.......................Auto
Resizable BAR Support..................................Auto

PE1............................................................x16...Gen4
.....Speed....................................................Auto
PE2............................................................Not Present
PE3............................................................Not Present

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account