2024/01/23 16:19:33
Sajin
flyinion
Sajin
donta1979
Sajin

The hotspot was hitting 95c. It’s now hitting 80c after a repaste which is within spec.

Find a quality tim that does not degrade or can take the abuse longer.

Yeah, when it starts getting hot again I’ll be trying thermal grizzly or kingpin cooling kpx.

I put TG on my Gigabyte 4090 OC a year ago when I put an EK Quantum block on it and temps seem to still be behaving.  You got me paranoid so I went and checked.  Only thing I have to test with is high stress stuff like 3D Mark but at 100% load it was still good. Think the hotspot hit like 64C.  I actually tried OCCT first, but I think either their latest update has an issue, or it's these newer 54x.xx Nvidia drivers cause 30 seconds into the GPU test I get a black screen every time, but I know there have been black screen complaints about the new Nvidia drivers, and OCCT was just fine a month ago (before I updated drivers/OCCT).

Latest occt and 546.29 works fine here without a black screen. Have you been running your gpu at stock voltage the entire time you have had it? How long have you owned your 4090? I’ve been running mine at 1.1mv the entire year I’ve had mine.
2024/01/23 16:43:27
Sajin
Looks like this is really true… https://forums.evga.com/U...o-1-year-m2856901.aspx 😬

And that is why nvidia released an updated 4090 with a max voltage of 1.07mv… https://www.gizchina.com/...rade-or-downgrade/amp/
2024/01/23 17:07:41
Sajin
Posted some new info in my last post.
2024/01/23 17:12:07
flyinion
Sajin

Latest occt and 546.29 works fine here without a black screen. Have you been running your gpu at stock voltage the entire time you have had it? How long have you owned your 4090? I’ve been running mine at 1.1mv the entire year I’ve had mine.

I'm on 546.33 and whatever OCCT updated to last night when I opened it.  Yes stock voltage and the card is just a week or two over a year old.  No problems in games/3d Mark so I'm writing it off as a general driver/windows issue with my system and not hardware.  when I force a reboot and open OCCT it pops up a window showing the test ran for about 37-38 seconds with no errors.  It was fine last month before I updated drivers from 537.34's, and VRAM test is still good.  I haven't been doing any OC'ing or even raising the power limit above 100% because I need to revamp my cooling loop first to handle the extra heat, and I've been putting it off due to other stuff.

edit:  Considering all the really bad feedback in the 54x.xx series feedback threads on Nvidia's site, I really wouldn't be surprised if my OCCT issue is a driver issue being brought out by my system (since every system is unique). 
2024/01/23 17:16:15
Sajin
flyinion
Sajin

I'm on 546.33 and whatever OCCT updated to last night when I opened it.  Yes stock voltage and the card is just a week or two over a year old.  No problems in games/3d Mark so I'm writing it off as a general driver/windows issue with my system and not hardware.  when I force a reboot and open OCCT it pops up a window showing the test ran for about 37-38 seconds with no errors.  It was fine last month before I updated drivers from 537.34's, and VRAM test is still good.  I haven't been doing any OC'ing or even raising the power limit above 100% because I need to revamp my cooling loop first to handle the extra heat, and I've been putting it off due to other stuff.

Would be interested to see if you get a black screen with your voltage set to 1.1mv.
2024/01/23 17:18:45
flyinion
Sajin

Would be interested to see if you get a black screen with your voltage set to 1.1mv.

I'll have to figure out how to do that.  Opened Afterburner but the voltage field/slider is grayed out.
2024/01/23 17:27:23
Sajin
flyinion
Sajin

I'll have to figure out how to do that.  Opened Afterburner but the voltage field/slider is grayed out.

Go into msi afterburner settings, select the general tab, look for unlock voltage control then check mark it, click ok to exit msi afterburner settings, afterburner should then restart, and then you should be able to adjust the voltage slider. Simply max it out to make the card run at 1.1mv.
2024/01/23 17:33:29
flyinion
Sajin
flyinion
Sajin

Go into msi afterburner settings, select the general tab, look for unlock voltage control then check mark it, click ok to exit msi afterburner settings, afterburner should then restart, and then you should be able to adjust the voltage slider. Simply max it out to make the card run at 1.1mv.

Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow, I'm all set up a big group gaming thing this evening already.  Is there a reason for maxing it out?  Seems like that's gonna generate a lot of heat, but I've paid attention to the voltage under load either.  I just know with CPU's the voltage tends to get lowered when load ramps up to keep heat down.
2024/01/23 17:35:27
Sajin
I just max it out for extra stability. If you don’t black screen you’ll know you weren’t stable.
2024/01/24 16:30:38
flyinion
Sajin
I just max it out for extra stability. If you don’t black screen you’ll know you weren’t stable.

What setting are you putting the voltage control to in order to get 1.1mv?  It's showing as a % so I'm thoroughly confused and don't want to overvolt the card.  For the dropdown did you leave it on "Standard MSI" or put it on 3rd party or reference?

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account